HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade proposal thread 6.0... what to do?

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
At this time last year, people were saying Thomas was on the same level as Kreider. I always thought that was a little too high for Thomas. However, now that he struggled to begin the season, his value around here is too low.

Offensively, Thomas is, at the worst, equal to Miller. I believe he has a very real shot at becoming a Mike Cammeleri-like player in the NHL. He goes to the dirty areas and he knows how to separate himself from defenders in the correct areas. You can't teach that.
I think his size is the only thing hat can prevent him from having a big impact in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I think his size is the only thing hat can prevent him from having a big impact in the NHL.
He's 5'9, not 5'6.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
He's 5'9, not 5'6.
Still relatively small for the NHL.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

5-6 months ago Christian Thomas was thought of someone who could compete for a spot this season. He got hurt at Traverse City. Trade him for a rental? Tuomo Ruutu has scored 1 goal in 13 games. He has 4 points in those 13 games. The Rangers already have players in scoring slumps. 7 of his 15 goals came in a 10 game span in December. He scored in 4 straight games. He followed that up with 1 goal in 13 games. He has 2 PPG. His last PPG was on November 6.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
perhaps but if u ask Canes fans they will say a 2nd and Zuccarello is not enough........I hope they are wrong

I'm not sure on Thomas to be honest. He's smaller but he scores alot in the OHL and he has great pedigree

I do see Miller and Kreider ahead of him though.
There will be competition for Rutuu, and Rutherford has proven good at extorting big packages for veteran players. I would rather the Rangers try to get Brendan Morrow instead.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
At this time last year, people were saying Thomas was on the same level as Kreider. I always thought that was a little too high for Thomas. However, now that he struggled to begin the season, his value around here is too low.

Offensively, Thomas is, at the worst, equal to Miller. I believe he has a very real shot at becoming a Mike Cammeleri-like player in the NHL. He goes to the dirty areas and he knows how to separate himself from defenders in the correct areas. You can't teach that.
Well said. I agree.
I also thought, from watching him in training camp, that he has that "it" factor. He's able to read the defense and make a good first decision on what to do to make something happen, whether it's a scoring chance for him, or a way to get the puck to someone else or get the puck to the net at the right time. It's hard to quantify and some players have more of it than others. Along with Crosbys immense skill, he has this "it" factor in spades. He knows the intricacies of the game so naturally. Stepan, although not overly physically gifted, has plenty of this and it's that which makes him as good as he is. I see this in Thomas. Some call it "hockey sense" but i see it as more than that. I call it the "it" factor.

Kreider and Gaborik have less of it than Stepan, but Kreider has unparalleled acceleration and top speed, and Gaborik has blazing speed and lightning fast hands.

A player like Lisin has none of it, even though he's got above average physical tools.
Prust has some "it" factor, and he's a very underrated playmaker, but he's an ugly skater and knows that's not his primary role.

Girardi has tons of it, despite not being particularly great in any one area, skill-wise. He's simply very good at EVERY aspect of defending.

Anisimov does NOT have it. He has great hands, a long reach, a great shot, but he does not have the ability to read a defense and engage accordingly.

This is not to say that a team needs 23 players who have "it." But, to have more guys that have it is certainly beneficial. I believe Thomas has it. That will help him overcome the one deficiency in his game which is his size. I think he's going to be a very good 2nd line player. I don't want to move him, but I'd do it for first line talent like Bobby Ryan.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
5-6 months ago Christian Thomas was thought of someone who could compete for a spot this season. He got hurt at Traverse City. Trade him for a rental? Tuomo Ruutu has scored 1 goal in 13 games. He has 4 points in those 13 games. The Rangers already have players in scoring slumps. 7 of his 15 goals came in a 10 game span in December. He scored in 4 straight games. He followed that up with 1 goal in 13 games. He has 2 PPG. His last PPG was on November 6.
This. Well said and exactly what needed to be said.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

I`m not all that excited in the interest of Ruutu. I dont think he is good of a player that everyone is saying. Imo he won`t make a big impact, and the price seems like it will be hefty.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
so his value is going down I see.......I agree Thomas should stay but will the Canes take back Zuccarello? There are no other prospects I can see of value that they would move 100 percent

a 2nd wont cut it, they will want something else............Plan B for me is Ray Whitney........i dont think Morrow, Selanne , Doan will be going anywhere

I know Rutuu is in a slump but he's a gritty player that would fit the system. Truth is there wont be that true Sniper available at the deadline..........Perry, Ryan, Carter is insane talk

Old
01-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Good points all around.

I doubt the Rangers are willing to part with any roster players or prospects named Kreider, Miller, Thomas, McIlrath and Erixon. That leaves a 1st or 2nd rounder as our best trade chip. Throwing a Zuccarello or Wolski in with a pick is basically nothing - might even be negative value.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Esa 10

Iíve been trying to figure out which defensemen might be available who could help on the PP. I limited it to teams that will or might be sellers. Not bothering with teams going to the play-offs because if they have an extra D, probably looking for someone in exchange who can help immediately.

(Montreal) Yannick Weber - 1 more year left at $850k. Has a good shot. 7 of his 13 points have come on the PP. The Habs are using him often as a 4th line F. Questionable defensively but could be used similarly in NY, especially given how little Torts uses the 4th line. Shouldn't cost much if Montreal lets him go.

(Edmonton) Cam Barker - RFA this summer. Great shot. Has varied between passable to poor on D over his career. Currently injured, but should be back before deadline. Another inexpensive option if not part of Edmonton's future plans.

(Dallas) Souray - UFA. Everybody knows this guy. Dallas unlikely to move him since they should be good enough to stay in the race.

(Tampa) Kubina - UFA. Used to be good on PP, but having bad year all around. There's a Torts connection, but likely to be McCabe redux.

(Tampa) Bergeron - another well known guy. Signed for 1 more year and doing what's expected of him, so unlikely to be moved.

(Calgary) Babchuk - not producing much this year. Poor defensively. 1 more year at $2.5m makes him a risk probably not worth taking.

(Minnesota) Zidlicky - used to be great offensively. Poor numbers this year and getting scratched recently. The Wild are probably trying to move him, but 1 more year left at $4m. Too much money to take a chance.

(Anaheim) Visnovsky - very good player, but has a $5.6m cap hit next year. Acquiring him would mean giving up on adding a scoring forward next year. Asset price in trade is likely to be high as well.

(Carolina) Pitkanen - good player. Similar problem, 2 years left at a $4.5m cap hit. Rutherford is also rumored to be asking for outrageous returns on his players. Injured as well. Back in March, but beside knee issue, recovering from concussion. I don't understand how this guy can have a certain return date set coming back from a head injury.

Thoughts, other suggestions?

Old
01-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Devils played the trap. We are not trapping anyone here, nor are we playing the entire game in the neutral zone. I've heard the Oilers and Leafs are exciting to watch this season. Can you locate them in the standings?
Yes I can...and I hope we don't meet the Leafs in the 1st round if our reg season against them means anything !In some of those games we played a lot of it in the wrong zone...our zone !

Old
01-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Iíve been trying to figure out which defensemen might be available who could help on the PP. I limited it to teams that will or might be sellers. Not bothering with teams going to the play-offs because if they have an extra D, probably looking for someone in exchange who can help immediately.

(Montreal) Yannick Weber - 1 more year left at $850k. Has a good shot. 7 of his 13 points have come on the PP. The Habs are using him often as a 4th line F. Questionable defensively but could be used similarly in NY, especially given how little Torts uses the 4th line. Shouldn't cost much if Montreal lets him go.

(Edmonton) Cam Barker - RFA this summer. Great shot. Has varied between passable to poor on D over his career. Currently injured, but should be back before deadline. Another inexpensive option if not part of Edmonton's future plans.

(Dallas) Souray - UFA. Everybody knows this guy. Dallas unlikely to move him since they should be good enough to stay in the race.

(Tampa) Kubina - UFA. Used to be good on PP, but having bad year all around. There's a Torts connection, but likely to be McCabe redux.

(Tampa) Bergeron - another well known guy. Signed for 1 more year and doing what's expected of him, so unlikely to be moved.

(Calgary) Babchuk - not producing much this year. Poor defensively. 1 more year at $2.5m makes him a risk probably not worth taking.

(Minnesota) Zidlicky - used to be great offensively. Poor numbers this year and getting scratched recently. The Wild are probably trying to move him, but 1 more year left at $4m. Too much money to take a chance.

(Anaheim) Visnovsky - very good player, but has a $5.6m cap hit next year. Acquiring him would mean giving up on adding a scoring forward next year. Asset price in trade is likely to be high as well.

(Carolina) Pitkanen - good player. Similar problem, 2 years left at a $4.5m cap hit. Rutherford is also rumored to be asking for outrageous returns on his players. Injured as well. Back in March, but beside knee issue, recovering from concussion. I don't understand how this guy can have a certain return date set coming back from a head injury.

Thoughts, other suggestions?
good list. Other guy everyone mentions is Sarich, Gill, Gleason but yea they are not offensive so wont help the PP

On D I think they go with depth to replace Sauer just in case he cant come back this yr or comes back near the end of the yr......I predict Kubina..........I think to help the PP they grab a top 6 F and just leave it to Richards and Del Zotto at the pt

Old
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Yes I can...and I hope we don't meet the Leafs in the 1st round if our reg season against them means anything !In some of those games we played a lot of it in the wrong zone...our zone !
How about the game in Toronto? You know- where we held he entire top line to 2 shots- neither of them coming from Kessel and Lupul. We don't trap. I don't see why you can't understand this. There is no 1-3-1 in the Rangers' system. Leafs don't worry me one bit. Our problem is the PP. It's ranked 25th in the league. Get it up to a middle-of the pack, and our offense goes from 11 to top 7. You need defense to win. We have that down pat.

Regular season doesn't mean much. We were 3-1 against WASH last year in the regular season, including a game where we blew them out 7-0. That really helped us in the playoffs.

Last edited by Rangers Fail: 01-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Good points all around.

I doubt the Rangers are willing to part with any roster players or prospects named Kreider, Miller, Thomas, McIlrath and Erixon. That leaves a 1st or 2nd rounder as our best trade chip. Throwing a Zuccarello or Wolski in with a pick is basically nothing - might even be negative value.
Zucca might not be worth much, but I don't see why he'd have negative value. If a team doesn't like him afterwards, they don't have to qualify him. No risk.

Also, while Zucca's cap hit is high right now, his salary is $900k, the rest bonuses. I belive his qualifying number is salary + 10%. Makes his cap hit next year $990k. Not outrageous.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Zucca might not be worth much, but I don't see why he'd have negative value. If a team doesn't like him afterwards, they don't have to qualify him. No risk.

Also, while Zucca's cap hit is high right now, his salary is $900k, the rest bonuses. I belive his qualifying number is salary + 10%. Makes his cap hit next year $990k. Not outrageous.
They still would have the pay Zuccarello the rest of the season. This is a kid who hasnt proved hes NHL-capable and could very likely bolt back to Europe if/when he gets a new contract offer he doesnt like. I dont see him as a piece that would sweeten any pot at all.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
good list. Other guy everyone mentions is Sarich, Gill, Gleason but yea they are not offensive so wont help the PP

On D I think they go with depth to replace Sauer just in case he cant come back this yr or comes back near the end of the yr......I predict Kubina..........I think to help the PP they grab a top 6 F and just leave it to Richards and Del Zotto at the pt
Yeah, with what's available on D, a forward who can make a difference on the half-boards might be the way they go. Ideally, you obtain both. Right now Richards, Gaborik, Cally are 3 spots covered. Need improvement in the other 2.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
They still would have the pay Zuccarello the rest of the season. This is a kid who hasnt proved hes NHL-capable and could very likely bolt back to Europe if/when he gets a new contract offer he doesnt like. I dont see him as a piece that would sweeten any pot at all.
Obviously a team would have to see something in him to want him. There's a certain amount of risk with any Euro player at contract time, especially a tweener. I don't think the rest of this year's salary is an issue. Are his bonuses even achievable? I don't think he's a great prize, just don't see negative value. Maybe some team/s think he's the next Parenteau.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
Couple of things:
1. Did Brandon Prust vanish into his beanie? Where is he? There's no chance he's not playing on the roster come postseason time.

2. I believe Kreider is gonna spend the whole semester at BC, he's graduating. That means he's not leaving 'til about May.

3. You say "no first round picks", and maybe some seconds, yet you've gotten any one of Doan/Selanne/Whitney/Ruutu on the team? How are we getting them? Unsold copies of Hockey Sock Rock? This seems to be a problem w/ a lot of trade proposals - there's a lot of want, but no give.

4. You mention the importance of chemistry, yet you seem to have no problem taking a kid who's never played at this level, rushing him through both school and the AHL, then shove him into a line with line mates he's had zero time to gel with, one of which would have only been on the team for a couple of months.
1) Prust was a tough decision to scratch but if we were to acquire a 2nd line player and another 3-4 liner (let's say a center for example like Boyd Gordon... not saying we're looking at him he's just an example) who else would you cut? Rupp is playoff tested. Boyle isn't being scratched. Mitchell becomes the first person scratched. And then we have the option of Feds or Prust... and that's kind of a no brainer because Feds is defensively responsible, has offensive talent, and has experience in the playoffs.

2) The professors at BC are lax with athletes and their commitments. Many of the professors I have had this year have praised the likes of Cam Atkinson because he missed an abnormal amount of classes, for tournaments and such, but still put in the work to pass, if not get good grades. If the opportunity presented itself I'm sure the professors here would accommodate Kreider (making it possible for him to accumulate an obscene amount of absences) and still have a very good chance of passing and graduating on his own accord.

3) These players are all rentals. In years past a rental has cost a 2nd round pick (unless the rental had the opportunity to resign and still play to prime abilities)... Ruutu won't get a 1st, there's a reason why no one has traded for him at this ridiculous asking price. It will go down, otherwise the Canes will have terrible asset management. Whitney will likely not cost a 1st. Doan may, because he is the captain, but if the trading rate for these rental type players becomes 2nd and 3rd round picks then he may be had for cheaper as well. The price will go down on rentals. I'm not hypothesisng that we can get Corey Perry for Eric Christensen and a bag of sour patch kids. This has been the going rate for rentals, at this age, for the past few years... it's beyond reasonable to assume that this trend will continue.

4) Hagelin followed a similar path as Kreider potentially might. Hagelin's team lost early, he was then signed to the AHL team and played for the playoffs there. Hagelin was more raw, and is likely still more raw than Kreider is. However, his play electrifies the roster. Whichever line he seems to be on flourishes. Now imagine that with two players, one of which has greater scoring potential, equal if not better speed, a little bit more grit. And I don't think gelling with linemates is that big of a concern. The way torts juggles lines each and every player has to be used to the other. Kreider could conceivably learn on the fly.

Kreider on this team makes our offense that much more dangerous. It's another player teams need to prepare for, due to his pure speed. Gaborik, Hagelin, and Kreider will give opposing team's defense's fits. Put one on each line and a team's defense won't be able to chip in as much as they normally would.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
2) The professors at BC are lax with athletes and their commitments. Many of the professors I have had this year have praised the likes of Cam Atkinson because he missed an abnormal amount of classes, for tournaments and such, but still put in the work to pass, if not get good grades. If the opportunity presented itself I'm sure the professors here would accommodate Kreider (making it possible for him to accumulate an obscene amount of absences) and still have a very good chance of passing and graduating on his own accord.
If Kreider signs a contract before graduating, he would probably lose his scholarship and would not be able to graduate.

He's not coming to the NHL before he graduates.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
The up and down with prospects on these boards is laughable. Thomas is all the sudden disposable? The guy may only be 5'9 be from what I have seen of the kid, he is a finisher.

On a team with mostly pass first guys that would be huge to have. He has a GREAT shot and has a solid chance to be an impact player at the NHL. To trade him for a rental like Ruutu because of one down here where he was both suspended and injured would be foolish at best.

01-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If Kreider signs a contract before graduating, he would probably lose his scholarship and would not be able to graduate.

He's not coming to the NHL before he graduates.
Lose his scholarship and not be able to graduate? What?

The way the rule goes is that if you accept money (whether that be a contract or prize money or what not) you are no longer allowed to play in college. This is all contingent on BC losing early enough in the tournament for Kreider to still be able to sign. If that happens there is no more hockey after that for Kreider at the collegiate level.

In addition, players who lose their scholarship, are not barred from graduating. That's insane. The only thing that losing his scholarship would do is mean that he would have to pay out his final semester here at BC (and not play for BC anymore, which is an inevitability either way after this season) which he should be able to afford as his contract will probably be very lucrative.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
The up and down with prospects on these boards is laughable. Thomas is all the sudden disposable? The guy may only be 5'9 be from what I have seen of the kid, he is a finisher.

On a team with mostly pass first guys that would be huge to have. He has a GREAT shot and has a solid chance to be an impact player at the NHL. To trade him for a rental like Ruutu because of one down here where he was both suspended and injured would be foolish at best.
Thomas undoubtedly has the best shot out of any of our prospects. The only problem is that he's 5'9 but then again measuring players on their height has come back to bite us (Savard).

Old
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Sorry Ken, but either way the scenario is illogical. How is he going to be able to put in the work to graduate while being part of a playoff hockey team? Successful playoff hockey teams are focused on one goal only.

Plus, we still have the issue of him losing a year on his ELC if he plays for the Rangers.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Sorry Ken, but either way the scenario is illogical.

Plus, we still have the issue of him losing a year on his ELC if he plays for the Rangers.
The scenario is unlikely, not illogical. If he puts us over the top, this year, you need to put him on the ice.

I'm not saying he's gonna jump right into the NHL if he signs with us this year, he's gonna play for the AHL team first, but if he shows that he's head and shoulders above that level, during their playoffs, then his addition would be better than what we have now on the 3rd line. His speed is lethal. His legs will be fresher than most come playoff time. His offensive potential would be beneficial.

We're likely going to need scoring help. Let's face it, our offense is sometimes stagnant. You need as many advantages as you can get out there. Sure losing a year on the ELC may hurt, but you're going to tell me that if Kreider is available for a playoff run, clearly shows NHL skill (while playing for our AHL team), that you wouldn't call him up for the playoff push?

Closed Thread