HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade proposal thread 6.0... what to do?

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I sort of agree with Ken. If we make it to the ECF, Kreider could be a piece that could put us over the top. He's better than any 3rd liner we have.

I'll take a Stanley Cup at the expense of burning a year off Kreider's ELC any day of the week and 100 times on Sunday.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
The scenario is unlikely, not illogical. If he puts us over the top, this year, you need to put him on the ice.

I'm not saying he's gonna jump right into the NHL if he signs with us this year, he's gonna play for the AHL team first, but if he shows that he's head and shoulders above that level, during their playoffs, then his addition would be better than what we have now on the 3rd line. His speed is lethal. His legs will be fresher than most come playoff time. His offensive potential would be beneficial.

We're likely going to need scoring help. Let's face it, our offense is sometimes stagnant. You need as many advantages as you can get out there. Sure losing a year on the ELC may hurt, but you're going to tell me that if Kreider is available for a playoff run, clearly shows NHL skill (while playing for our AHL team), that you wouldn't call him up for the playoff push?
If he signed with the Whale, it would be on ATO. I'm sorry, but I just don't see us burning a year on his ELC, even if we make it to the ECF. Seriously, if we make it that far, I wouldn't be concerned with upgrading our 3rd line, because they will have been performing very well.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:16 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I sort of agree with Ken. If we make it to the ECF, Kreider could be a piece that could put us over the top. He's better than any 3rd liner we have.

I'll take a Stanley Cup at the expense of burning a year off Kreider's ELC any day of the week and 100 times on Sunday.
Nope.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

The notion that Kreider will be able to step into the NHL in the conference finals and contribute is laughable.

He'll, at the very least, need a full training camp and likely some time in the AHL before hes a regular here.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
mattyd99

Quote:

A lot of people are gonna be upset with Krieder when he finally does join this team. So many people talk of him as if he's a savior, or the next messiah. Rookies generally struggle at first and are very inconsistent. Most players don't step in out of college to the NHL and "be a piece that could put us over the top." Look at McD and Hagelin. They're succesful now, after a half year in the AHL. The hype for this guy is unreal. Zherdev had all the talent in the world too, he wasn't too successful. I'd love for him to be the top 6 LW we need, but we also need to temper expectations so we're not upset if all he becomes is a useful 3rd liner.

Now this is the trade proposal thread so that rant is in the wrong spot, but with the way this team has played I don't want to see much change. A guy like Sami Paulssen would be perfect. Don't want to give up what we have to get Ruutu.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
DM23BK30

Someone please explain to me how the 5th to last guy cut from Team Canada at this years WJC isnt a blue chip prospect?

I'm not saying he will become a star in the NHL. But he has done nothing to make people think otherwise except his "size", which is an old, outdated, knee-jerk declaration. It's not 1998 and the Legion of Doom is dead and buried.

Thomas is easily one of the best pure scorers among amateurs.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
NYR Viper

^^^Exactly what I was talking about before. The kid just knows how to score. He scores from all over and he looked good in camp as a 19 year old even though he is no where near fully developed physically.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Nope.
This.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Someone please explain to me how the 5th to last guy cut from Team Canada at this years WJC isnt a blue chip prospect?

I'm not saying he will become a star in the NHL. But he has done nothing to make people think otherwise except his "size", which is an old, outdated, knee-jerk declaration. It's not 1998 and the Legion of Doom is dead and buried.

Thomas is easily one of the best pure scorers among amateurs.
There has been a lot of guys that have played on the Canadian Junior team that have done diddly squat in the NHL and the same goes for the US team ! I'm also pretty sure that there are guys also that have been cut from both teams that also have gone to be a star . I'm sure somebody on here has those lists right at the tips of the fingers because some of you guys dig stuff up like crazy...and fast LOL whereas it takes an old fellow like myself a week or more to do that ! Making or not making those WJ teams does not open up a spot for you in the NHL automatically . The draft is just like the lottery...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose !

Old
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
1) Prust was a tough decision to scratch but if we were to acquire a 2nd line player and another 3-4 liner (let's say a center for example like Boyd Gordon... not saying we're looking at him he's just an example) who else would you cut? Rupp is playoff tested. Boyle isn't being scratched. Mitchell becomes the first person scratched. And then we have the option of Feds or Prust... and that's kind of a no brainer because Feds is defensively responsible, has offensive talent, and has experience in the playoffs.

2) The professors at BC are lax with athletes and their commitments...

3) These players are all rentals. In years past a rental has cost a 2nd round pick (unless the rental had the opportunity to resign and still play to prime abilities)... Ruutu won't get a 1st, there's a reason why no one has traded for him at this ridiculous asking price. It will go down, otherwise the Canes will have terrible asset management. Whitney will likely not cost a 1st. Doan may, because he is the captain, but if the trading rate for these rental type players becomes 2nd and 3rd round picks then he may be had for cheaper as well. The price will go down on rentals. I'm not hypothesisng that we can get Corey Perry for Eric Christensen and a bag of sour patch kids. This has been the going rate for rentals, at this age, for the past few years... it's beyond reasonable to assume that this trend will continue.

4) Hagelin followed a similar path as Kreider potentially might. Hagelin's team lost early, he was then signed to the AHL team and played for the playoffs there...
1. I think Rupp is scratched in the play-offs way before Prust. The difference in speed and versatility between the two is enormous. Plenty of PK, very little fighting that time of year. Experience counts to an extent, but Prust's not a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell was given the nod over Rupp under the right circumstances. This assumes a new forward or two coming in without anyone leaving.

3. I don't think you ever really know with trades. While most D were returning 3rd or 2nd rounders last year, Kaberle was traded for a 1st, Colbourne (former 1st, who was still considered a blue-chipper) and a conditional 2nd. Ryan Smyth was rented for a mid-range 1st and 2 former 1st rounders on their way down on LI. Carolina picked up Weight for a 1st in their cup winning year. All it takes is a GM or two who think differently. I mean, if you told me that Varlamov, who was threatening to take his pads to KHL if not given a starting role, would return a 1st and a conditional 2nd from a lottery team while the FA market was flooded with decent goalies, I'd laugh at you at the time.

4. Kreider in this year's play-offs is unlikely, but stranger things have happened. Would make for a hell of a fairy tale ending though.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
NYR Viper

I think Rupp and Prust have a spot in the playoffs for sure. They both can play the game and its players like that who make life difficult for the other team over a long series. IMO Mitchell and Fedotenko are the (2) players who may lose their spots come playoff time.

In order for Kreider to play in this years playoffs, the Rangers would have to burn a full season off of his ELC. Not worth it.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

In his two cup runs, Feds has 19 goals in 46 playoff games. So I sure hope we plan to play him if we make the postseason.

Mitchell I could give or take. I think he is playing over his head right now.

01-28-2012, 04:31 PM
NYR Viper

^^^ I just meant looking at their play this season but I agree. People saying to add more than one player have to realize that there is no where for them to play.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thomas undoubtedly has the best shot out of any of our prospects. The only problem is that he's 5'9 but then again measuring players on their height has come back to bite us (Savard).
Thats exactly right. Who knows, maybe his size does hinder him from ever becoming a full time NHLer. However I would much rather take the risk and see if that is actually the case versus trading him for a guy like Ruutu.

If he is part of the package for a guy like Carter, Ryan, etc... then fine because the odds of him ever scoring at that pace are slim. But not for a Ruutu or Moen type.

01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

We....don't....need....another...bottom 9....player....

And Boyle would/should be scratched well before Prust.

Also, Mitchell has been a very pleasant surprise. Can't ask more than what he's brought so far.

Upgrade from Anisimov to Ryan or get someone like Prospal or Ruutu who unfortunately makes Mitchell or Boyle a scratch.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
We....don't....need....another...bottom 9....player....

And Boyle would/should be scratched well before Prust.

Also, Mitchell has been a very pleasant surprise. Can't ask more than what he's brought so far.

Upgrade from Anisimov to Ryan or get someone like Prospal or Ruutu who unfortunately makes Mitchell or Boyle a scratch.
Rutuu or Whitney, hopefully giving up a 2nd, Zuccarello, late pick

Whitney, Stepan, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Richards, Callahan
Hagelin, Boyle, Anisimov
Rupp, Mitchell/Fedotenko,Prust

Old
01-28-2012, 04:44 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
There has been a lot of guys that have played on the Canadian Junior team that have done diddly squat in the NHL and the same goes for the US team ! I'm also pretty sure that there are guys also that have been cut from both teams that also have gone to be a star . I'm sure somebody on here has those lists right at the tips of the fingers because some of you guys dig stuff up like crazy...and fast LOL whereas it takes an old fellow like myself a week or more to do that ! Making or not making those WJ teams does not open up a spot for you in the NHL automatically . The draft is just like the lottery...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose !
We're talking about prospects.

We're talking about guys who have yet to play in the NHL.

You can only rate prospects based off of what they have accomplished as amateurs.

Since Thomas was considered one of the better amateur forwards under 20 for Team Canada, he has to be considered a top prospect.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Esa 10

Torts will play whoever he thinks is going best at the time. He's not afraid to make controversial choices. The only locks I see are Gabby, Cally, Richards and Stepan.

I would say though that Boyle is an extremely unlikely candidate to be scratched. Torts relies on him for everything. I'd say the likely candidates are:

1 Christ / Wolski,
2 Mitchell / Rupp,
3 Feds / Prust,
4 Hags / Boyle / Anisimov / Dubi.

Anisimov may find himself in the Feds / Prust group if his play doesn't pick up by the end of the year.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Rutuu or Whitney, hopefully giving up a 2nd, Zuccarello, late pick

Whitney, Stepan, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Richards, Callahan
Hagelin, Boyle, Anisimov
Rupp, Mitchell/Fedotenko,Prust
Like I've said every page for the last three trade proposal threads, Whitney is not and will not be available. The Yotes play great team defense and are in every game. At the very least, they'll be in the hunt til the very end of the season. I see them making the playoffs, and potentially upsetting their first round matchup if they draw the Sharks or Canucks.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Like I've said every page for the last three trade proposal threads, Whitney is not and will not be available. The Yotes play great team defense and are in every game. At the very least, they'll be in the hunt til the very end of the season. I see them making the playoffs, and potentially upsetting their first round matchup if they draw the Sharks or Canucks.
yea maybe but maybe not.............most teams are still "in it" but by the deadline reality strikes

I do think they are a good team and making the playoffs would make them alot of money

Old
01-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Anything can happen of course, but there is no way I could see the Yotes beating the Sharks and especially the Canucks in the first round.

Old
01-28-2012, 04:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea maybe but maybe not.............most teams are still "in it" but by the deadline reality strikes

I do think they are a good team and making the playoffs would make them alot of money
They have to go for the playoffs because if they do, they will be much easier to sell. Maloney has already stated he wants to ADD at the deadline and that he has money to do so.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Anything can happen of course, but there is no way I could see the Yotes beating the Sharks and especially the Canucks in the first round.
There's no way they beat the Wings or Hawks in a series, but I could definitely see them beating the Sharks and even the Canucks.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
There's no way they beat the Wings or Hawks in a series, but I could definitely see them beating the Sharks and even the Canucks.
As long as Luongo is between the pipes IMO Nucks never win a cup.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
As long as Luongo is between the pipes IMO Nucks never win a cup.
Agreed. Unfortunate, because I think Luongo is a really good guy. But his mental game is beyond repair it seems, and the fans and even the team seem to have lost faith in him.

Closed Thread