HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alfredsson On Record: "I'm hoping I can go one more (season)"

Old
01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I expect him to play 1 more season and Sens will be cup contenders following this season. On or about trade deadline day (next season) Melnyk will give an order to Murray to make the necessary deals to bring in the appropriate talent to bring Alfie, and Ottawa, a cup.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
He should be there to pass the torch on to Silfverberg.
Can someone explain why Silfverberg has so much hype?

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:29 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Mafia View Post
Fixed it for you

...and it left me disappointed

EDIT: Had to get some more Alfie video content in here

Get's me every time..

Last edited by TrueGrit: 01-29-2012 at 12:51 AM.
TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:39 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
When Alfredsson took that slap-shot during the hardest shot competition, I knew he was coming back for at least another year.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 50
I hope he plays until his kids join the nhl

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Can someone explain why Silfverberg has so much hype?
He's 21 years old and is arguably the best player in the Swedish Elite League. He's fifth in goals and points in the league despite having missed 6 games. He leads his team in goals (by 3) and points (by 4) even though the runner-up in both categories has played 6 more games.

He's a terrific two-way player with a monstrous shot. He's a great asset to both specialty teams, and is always a threat around the opposition's net.

In this humble critic's opinion, he's our very best prospect.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:16 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
He's 21 years old and is arguably the best player in the Swedish Elite League. He's fifth in goals and points in the league despite having missed 6 games. He leads his team in goals (by 3) and points (by 4) even though the runner-up in both categories has played 6 more games.

He's a terrific two-way player with a monstrous shot. He's a great asset to both specialty teams, and is always a threat around the opposition's net.

I love this kid. I think his defensive skills are going to define his career in the NHL, despite the fact that he's got 30 goal potential.

He's going to be like a sniping Janne Laukanen on steroids.

... In a good way, not the bad way that gets you suspended from the league.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:16 AM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Magix

Quote:

Sounds like a keeper. Thanks for the info.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
4thliner*

Alfie is still a great player, still fast, and can fire 101 MPH rocket....so why talk or retirement?

It is never good for a player to say I hope I can go 1 more year or this will be my last year etc

Just let itself play out.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:04 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
He says yes, his wife says no, she'll never be able to live it down. He's coming back next year

01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
seedogger

I agree..he has the drive and the physical ability with his conditioning

seedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Godinster

His wife will be public enemy #1 in Ottawa if he doesn't play next year

Godinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

He's still got the game, he's got the drive and the motivation. He has every reason to come back for another season. Yes, at some point he's got to call it a day, consider his health, his family and his future past hockey but he's got to take this final run as far as it can go. If the Sens are a playoff team this season, he is a MASSIVE reason why. He is still the straw that stirs the drink and keeps the team going, the young players have a tremendous amount of respect for him and can learn a lot from him.

I don't see his wife being a legit factor in this. Of course he will discuss it with her, but I don't see how she can keep him from doing something he wants to do, that wouldn't be right.

And if he is back next year and we continue to play like a contender, you'd have to hope Murray tries to make a splash in the off-season to give Alfie one last shot at the cup.

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:

I'm fully aware that forwards and defensemen are a different beast, but I think we should temper our expectations on these guys before we see what they can do in the NHL. If you happen to recall David Rundblad was the "best defensemen" in the SEL last season, and look how that turned out.

With Alfredsson though I hope he sticks around at least another season to help mentor Petersson/Karlsson/Lehner/Silfverberg. If he can instill the same type of team spirit that he has into those young Swedes we are in good shape.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
Fixed it for you

...and it left me disappointed

EDIT: Had to get some more Alfie video content in here

Get's me every time..
Well, I just teared up.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I love the first video! "The Face of the Franchise".

I teared up too!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Really goes to show you how under-appreciated Ottawa was a city and a team to those clowns in the TSN video. Hasek never truly enjoyed playing here, Emery could take it or leave it, Yashin never appreciated what he had here all those years.

Alfie never took it for granted once, he was always a constant in this city, someone you can rely on as a Captain on and off the ice, around the community and what's amazing is how he always stayed classy and humble. He deserves every chant he gets, every applause, every accolade and accomplishment.

Hope we get to the playoffs so he can soak in that amazing atmosphere once again. Let's do it for Alfie!

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I'm fully aware that forwards and defensemen are a different beast, but I think we should temper our expectations on these guys before we see what they can do in the NHL. If you happen to recall David Rundblad was the "best defensemen" in the SEL last season, and look how that turned out.
How did it turn out, exactly?

Rundblad is still a terrific prospect. A tough start to his NHL career doesn't negate his success as a young star in Sweden or his formidable skill set. I don't care what jersey he's wearing, the guy has too much talent not to be an impact player in the NHL.

As for Silfverberg, it's more than likely that his particular brand of hockey will translate much better to smaller ice. He doesn't shy away from high-traffic areas and likes the front of the net. His shot is something special in ANY league. He's a smart player who knows what it takes to put the puck in the net. I don't see why we wouldn't be optimistic about his impact as an Ottawa Senator.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote