HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schenn/Carter/Thomas and Subban

Old
01-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Schenn/Carter/Thomas and Subban

Article from Lyle Richardson suggest a few might be available:

Schenn:
In the wake of the Leafs re-signing veteran blueliner John-Michael Liles to a four-year extension on Wednesday, Lance Hornby of The Toronto Sun reported defenseman Luke Schenn could be considered “a prime trade candidate.

Thomas:
It's also led to media speculation suggesting Bruins management, unhappy over Thomas' stance, could shop him this summer when his “no-movement” clause expires, clearing the way for backup Tuukka Rask to take over as the starting goalie next season.

NO TAKERS FOR CARTER

Columbus Blue Jackets center Jeff Carter remains a fixture in the rumor mill, this time courtesy of TSN's Darren Dreger, who recently reported CartSUBBAN RUMORS SHOT DOWN

There's a growing backlash in the Montreal media against the notion of the Canadiens shopping charismatic (or cocky, depending upon your view) defenseman P.K. Subban.er was “100 percent available,” but added his hefty contract could prove difficult to move.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...enns-fate.html

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
IBLeaf*

I can see Schenn being traded. He's a core player but with our depth on defence, he would return a lot and can be replaced.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Seguin

Boston wont move Thomas. His 3M salary for next season would make him pretty attractive to smaller market teams, but I just think it's unrealistic. Bruins management likely places a huge value on him, a value that not many teams would want to pay for a 38 year old goalie.

Seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post

Schenn:
In the wake of the Leafs re-signing veteran blueliner John-Michael Liles to a four-year extension on Wednesday, Lance Hornby of The Toronto Sun reported defenseman Luke Schenn could be considered “a prime trade candidate.

Thomas:
It's also led to media speculation suggesting Bruins management, unhappy over Thomas' stance, could shop him this summer when his “no-movement” clause expires, clearing the way for backup Tuukka Rask to take over as the starting goalie next season.

NO TAKERS FOR CARTER

Columbus Blue Jackets center Jeff Carter remains a fixture in the rumor mill, this time courtesy of TSN's Darren Dreger, who recently reported CartSUBBAN RUMORS SHOT DOWN

There's a growing backlash in the Montreal media against the notion of the Canadiens shopping charismatic (or cocky, depending upon your view) defenseman P.K. Subban.er was “100 percent available,” but added his hefty contract could prove difficult to move.

I assume you've made some kind of a mistake here, because Subban does not have a heft contract (looks like a copy/paste error).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
I can see Schenn being traded. He's a core player but with our depth on defence, he would return a lot and can be replaced.
I hate to lose schenn but I have to agree with you. The play of jake gardiner,franson and gunnarsson gives great depth and schenn would return the most out of these four in a trade. He will be in a package deal to land a top 6 forward.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:27 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
Boston wont move Thomas. His 3M salary for next season would make him pretty attractive to smaller market teams, but I just think it's unrealistic. Bruins management likely places a huge value on him, a value that not many teams would want to pay for a 38 year old goalie.
Even after he snubbed Obama? Because apparently that has lowered his value. I agree with your take, however.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I assume you've made some kind of a mistake here, because Subban does not have a heft contract (looks like a copy/paste error).
Correct.

Quote:
Columbus Blue Jackets center Jeff Carter remains a fixture in the rumor mill, this time courtesy of TSN's Darren Dreger, who recently reported Carter was “100 percent available,” but added his hefty contract could prove difficult to move.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
I'm mixed on this one. I think Thomas would garner a lot of interest based on his play, and not just his capabilities that he has a reputation for or from the past, but PROVEN capabilities and his current play from this year. So it's not like he's a "has-been". His age may be of concern but I bet Boston could field some nice offers.

I agree with you that it's unlikely Boston is even really considering moving him. Not to mention, I for one am getting bored of all the speculation that he could or should be moved based on his political views. With the all star break in motion, all the bloggers and sports writers need to find something to pick at, and sadly it's Thomas' political standpoint thats getting some really stupid attention.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
I hate to lose schenn but I have to agree with you. The play of jake gardiner,franson and gunnarsson gives great depth and schenn would return the most out of these four in a trade. He will be in a package deal to land a top 6 forward.
This is spot on accurate. Most fans would probably hate to see Schenn go but he seems to be the odd man out nowadays and it's a safe bet he get a lot of attention and a good return.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
I'm mixed on this one. I think Thomas would garner a lot of interest based on his play, and not just his capabilities that he has a reputation for or from the past, but PROVEN capabilities and his current play from this year. So it's not like he's a "has-been". His age may be of concern but I bet Boston could field some nice offers.

I agree with you that it's unlikely Boston is even really considering moving him. Not to mention, I for one am getting bored of all the speculation that he could or should be moved based on his political views. With the all star break in motion, all the bloggers and sports writers need to find something to pick at, and sadly it's Thomas' political standpoint thats getting some really stupid attention.
I agree with this.

How many teams are in a position to compete right now, have the cap space to afford a 3M goalie, and need a top-line goalie? And if there is such a team, why would Boston want to strengthen them for a playoff run?

I can't see a rebuilding team investing much in him, given age, etc.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:43 PM
coldsteelonice84

I'd love to Thomas to be moved for a 2nd round draft pick because of his political views. Hell, Hawks will give you 2 2nds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
How many teams are in a position to compete right now, have the cap space to afford a 3M goalie, and need a top-line goalie? And if there is such a team, why would Boston want to strengthen them for a playoff run?
Screams Blackhawks, would also say maybe Washington if we're talking next year.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:45 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post

Schenn:

Thomas:

NO TAKERS FOR CARTER

Is this some sort of joke?

1: He is on an ELC contract that ends this season, and his cap hit is .850K, and when resigned, it will be around 3M.

2: "100% available" Pierre Leburn said that a GM told him that Subban has never been bought up. Another GM, Dean Lombardi, confirmed that he and Pierre Gauthier talked last recent, but also said Subban never came up.

3: Its Pierre Gauthier your talking about, whether he is a good GM or not, this guy does not give a flying damn about the media.

Edit: After actually reading the link, "ponder" was right, you messed up the Subban quote...

It said

"SUBBAN RUMORS SHOT DOWN
There's a growing backlash in the Montreal media against the notion of the Canadiens shopping charismatic (or cocky, depending upon your view) defenseman P.K. Subban.

Mathias Brunet of La Presse, Luc Gelinas of RDS.ca, and Mike Boone of The Montreal Gazette rejected the idea, suggesting it would be madness on the part of the Canadiens to move a promising young talent like Subban.

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported none of the teams he'd spoken with heard Subban mentioned as available.

Sportsnet's Louis Jean was more blunt, calling the Subban trade rumors “ludicrous.”"

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Is this some sort of joke?

1: He is on an ELC contract that ends this season, and his cap hit is .850K, and when resigned, it will be around 3M.

2: "100% available" Pierre Leburn said that a GM told him that Subban has never been bought up. Another GM, Dean Lombardi, confirmed that he and Pierre Gauthier talked last recent, but also said Subban never came up.

3: Its Pierre Gauthier your talking about, whether he is a good GM or not, this guy does not give a flying damn about the media.
See a few posts above.

OP needs to be edited.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Nothing really surprising here.

Schenn being available is just speculation. Makes a lot of sense, and is likely true, but there's no active rumors revolving around him. Just the idea that he might be the odd man out

Carter is always going to have rumors if he's on the block. He's good enough to garner interest but has enough questions (locker room/franchise effort, size of contract) to not make it a real frenzy.

Thomas being shopped isn't insane, regardless of his political views. He is 37 and, although he's playing amazing so is Rask. I doubt the Bs want to keep Thomas at 5M and Rask at whatever his extension is (likely a 2-3 mil or more) so it makes sense to trade Thomas before he's a UFA and get pieces to further help the core of the Bs team.

The PK Subban stuff is just saying the media is more and more thinking it's a bad idea to trade Subban...which isn't that crazy

01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
See a few posts above.

OP needs to be edited.
thx, edited my post too

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Lmao at PK Subban being available. I'm not even laughing because it isn't true, it's exactly the sort of thing Montreal would do. Move one of the most promising energetic players theyve had since the damn 70s, for, idk, a 38 year old who scored 35 goals 10 years ago and is still making 6m a season. MAKE IT HAPPEN, CAP'N GAUTHIER

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
This is spot on accurate. Most fans would probably hate to see Schenn go but he seems to be the odd man out nowadays and it's a safe bet he get a lot of attention and a good return.
What from the Rangers for Schenn?

01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Deal based around Stepan.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Bruins management is more interested in winning another Stanley Cup than punishing Thomas for his politics.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

It really would suck to see Schenn go, but we have too many capable defensemen that can play right now. Schenn could be the victim of depth, and him being one of our most valuable assets we can trade. With that said I don't trade him unless it's in package for a #1 Centre.

I'm not favorable to his contract, but Stastny seems the most realistic.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd love to Thomas to be moved for a 2nd round draft pick because of his political views. Hell, Hawks will give you 2 2nds.

Screams Blackhawks, would also say maybe Washington if we're talking next year.
Thomas has refused to go to Washington already

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Why? We have plenty of young, promising D-men. We don't need Schenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Deal based around Stepan.
Not a chance.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
Thomas has refused to go to Washington already

Old
01-27-2012, 02:16 PM
hb11xchamps

Wah Tim Thomas didn't go to the White House. Get over it. People make the most out of stupid things. It doesn't affect his play on the ice and he still is a good goalie who won a freaking Stanley Cup last year.

hb11xchamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why? We have plenty of young, promising D-men. We don't need Schenn.

Not a chance.
Can a guy not be curious? Is that not allowed?

I know we have plenty of them. Just seeing how over priced Schenn is.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote