HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2012, 01:59 AM
keslerburrows

vCash: 500
Loving the thought of Ray Whitney on this team. He could be our Guerin/Rechi. If we could flip a package of a pick/prospect/Raymond(?) for Whitney+Aucoin... Watch out NHL..

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Whitney
Higgins-Hodgson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise/Bitz
Bitz/Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Aucoin
Tanev

Extremely solid playoff lineup.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:02 AM
KISSland

Why not have two top 6 power forwards? I don't see the problem here. With that said, I wouldn't give up too much for him as I do see him getting 5M which is just bad value.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
jigsaw99

he be better fit on the 4th line than Weise imo. Plus we need someone to fill the spot for Ebbett.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Speaking of fantasy...

Merely an exercise in trades and moves Gillis would NEVER do, would make us better this year, but is a.) iffy cap wise, b.) screws us up long term and c.) are way too light in terms of value.

Waive Malhotra (Not for enjoyment, I think he's been playing fine, but for arguments sake for cap purposes...)

Raymond, Alberts for Neil, 3rd
Out: 3.8
In: 2

Nash, Sanford for Ballard, Schneider, Schroeder or Jensen or 1st or what ever is needed
Out: 5.1
In: 8.4

Moen, Gill for 2nd, Rome, 4th
Out: 0.75
In: 3.75

Estimated cap space at deadline is about 3 million last I checked with Bitz up, 2.5 for Malhtora, and...
Out: 8.9+3+2+0.65 14.55
In: 2+8.4+3.75 14.6 (Although according to Cap Geek it's allowable...)

Use what ever else (ie. Sulzer and a 3rd) to acquire a close to minimum wage bottom pairing defender.

With the LTIR space for guys like Ebbett, Volpatti and heaven forbid anyone else, we have enough space to squeak through.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Nash
Higgins-Hodgson-Hansen
Moen-Lapierre-Neil
Bitz

Edler-Salo
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Gill-whoever is gotten at minimum
Tanev

Luongo
Sanford

That's a line up ready for war. To reiterate though: IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AND IS SIMPLY A BORED POSTER OCCUPYING SPACE ON A MESSAGE BOARD.

Although, that being said, the usual Neil/Moen/Gill tough, experienced kind of players would do well, and I still insist on Bryan Allen if no other moves are made.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:13 AM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Loving the thought of Ray Whitney on this team. He could be our Guerin/Rechi. If we could flip a package of a pick/prospect/Raymond(?) for Whitney+Aucoin... Watch out NHL..
Going to need Phoenix to drop quite a bit in standings before they go into sell mode IMO. They need the playoff revenue they'll dog it out I think. However I wouldn't mind seeing Whitney. He'd make the 2nd PP dynamite. He is a class act too.

That being said, can't see it happening. Asking price likely to be too high for a possibly retiring UFA.

I'd be happy if MG was able to bring in some guys like

Aucoin, Niskanen/Leopold, and Tim Jackman/Derek Dorsett. That would go miles for the team.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Lapierre-Hodgson-Hansen
Reinprecht-Malhotra-Jackman

Edler-Salo
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Niskanen/Leopold-Aucoin
Alberts,Rome, Tanev

Still could use a F, if Raymond goes the Top 9 depth gets a little thinner.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Would anyone here do a Raymond-for-Ruutu swap? I'm ambivalent.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:35 AM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Would anyone here do a Raymond-for-Ruutu swap? I'm ambivalent.
Not me. I would rather have the known quantity.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Whitney
Higgins-Hodgson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise/Bitz
Bitz/Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Aucoin
Tanev

Extremely solid playoff lineup.
Man, that would be amazing. Hole-less lineup.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:41 AM
AirMinivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You're not necessarily screwed if you assemble an absurdly strong and deep forward corps. The Bruins cup winning defense wasn't anything to write home about behind Chara and Seidenberg but they won on the back of the deepest, IMO best forward group in the league. Plus solid goaltending.

IMO too much emphasis is put on finding balance throughout the lineup. Improving the team's goal differential by as large a margin as possible should be Mike Gillis' top priority, even if it doesn't address a specific need. Though the Canucks forwards are deeper than the backend, if the biggest impact player out there to be had before the deadline is a forward, you try and make it happen IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis is looking long and hard at some big, veteran names right now, on forward and defense. Players like Moen and Gaustad will get the most press as media pundits look for the right 'fit' but those types of players are probably in the plan 'c' category for management. Adding a good 4th line player has very little impact on winning and losing - adding a top line talent could ultimately strengthen all 4 lines...

Selanne, Doan, Ray Whitney, S. Koivu, Ruutu, Visnovky etc. are the types Gillis will be in on IMO. If you're going to move assets, do it for an impact player, regardless of their position.
I agree with you in theory, but practically it isn't that simple. There's larger diminishing returns to adding more forwards at this point than defense. A new top 6 forward will play 2nd/3rd line and there will only be maybe 13 min, and only 2nd unit (if at all) powerplay time to give them. This is time that will be taken away from other top 6/top 9 players as well so expect to see reduced results from them. How much of an impact are they gonna make?

On defense if we add a top 4 you're looking at a guy who will be playing maybe 17\6 minutes a night, even if he's 5th on the depth chart. That 16 quickly becomes 20 in the case of an always inevitable injury on the backend. These minutes will come at the expense of the ever useful Keith Ballard, and one of our plethora of #6/7s.

TLDR - The minutes at forward are much more diluted because of our greater depth in that area.

Not saying I think adding a forward wouldn't help, but I think it would help LESS than a dman.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:51 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
The Canucks aren't playing badly and do not at this moment have any clear needs.

Another Dman and a tough winger are luxuries and high risk. Not every Dman fits in the Vancouver scheme. No single winger is going to give the Canucks everything fans want.

Bitz is getting good reviews from Vignault.

Ballard is fighting (of all things!) his way into the line-up.

There are two starting calibre goalies. This is a dream for a lot of teams!

My concern is the top line. The Sedins seem ill at ease, of late. Why? Is one of them hurt? I pity Vignault if Hank is faking his way through a broken wrist. If he can't go, all of a sudden the Canucks are pretty ordinary.

That is all.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:57 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMinivan View Post
I agree with you in theory, but practically it isn't that simple. There's larger diminishing returns to adding more forwards at this point than defense. A new top 6 forward will play 2nd/3rd line and there will only be maybe 13 min, and only 2nd unit (if at all) powerplay time to give them. This is time that will be taken away from other top 6/top 9 players as well so expect to see reduced results from them. How much of an impact are they gonna make?

On defense if we add a top 4 you're looking at a guy who will be playing maybe 17\6 minutes a night, even if he's 5th on the depth chart. That 16 quickly becomes 20 in the case of an always inevitable injury on the backend. These minutes will come at the expense of the ever useful Keith Ballard, and one of our plethora of #6/7s.

TLDR - The minutes at forward are much more diluted because of our greater depth in that area.

Not saying I think adding a forward wouldn't help, but I think it would help LESS than a dman.
Ok, but I think one thing a lot of us are overlooking is whether not just any defenceman can step onto this team and play well. There have been numerous articles in the paper referring to the difficulty players have adjusting to our defensive system.

It sounds good on paper, but adding a big name on defence doesn't always work out as planned - just look at Kaberle for the Bruins last year.

Not to say that we shouldn't try to upgrade if we have the opportunity, but changing personnel might not be the magic bullet that we all think it is - on forward or defence.

Personally I think our team could stand pat and win - if we can get our heads out of our butts in time. All we have to do is find a way to get the team motivated and peak for the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2012, 03:08 AM
David71

which of these dman can u see the nucks moving. ballard is playing great so far. i doubt he'll be moved.

rome/sulzer/alberts. to clear cap space? so gillis/gilman could work their magic and aquiring the higgins/lapierre guys on defense this time for this year.

raymond is probbaly also in "play"

Old
02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
which of these dman can u see the nucks moving. ballard is playing great so far. i doubt he'll be moved.

rome/sulzer/alberts. to clear cap space? so gillis/gilman could work their magic and aquiring the higgins/lapierre guys on defense this time for this year.

raymond is probbaly also in "play"
Alberts would be the one to move, since he has a contract for next season already.

Some teams might like that.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Crows*

Dan Murphy has been told Allen would waive his Ntc to come to Vancouver .

http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/hocke...region=PACIFIC

I wouldn't mind him at all.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post

"To the right situation", not to Vancouver specifically. I wouldn't be opposed to Bryan Allen, he would certainly bring an edge to the defense. Not much in the way of offense, however.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:10 AM
ShyCheetah

For all those giving Bernier a hard time I'd like to remind you that he played very well for us...in small spurts. With that said, I wouldn't mind at all giving him a look. I have no idea how we stand when it comes to number of contracts, but all things being equal sure why not.

Just because some hasn't done well on a lesser club isn't nessisarilly the death knell on a player. Some players play better when surrounded by better players.

Shy

Old
02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Peter Griffin

I'd welcome Allen back if it ensures Alberts doesn't see the ice for most of the post-season.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
PRNuck

Too much bad blood between the Stewart brothers and Pass it to Bulis on twitter imo.

Tangent: Who was the last black player we had? Brashear?

Old
02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:

I really like Allen. But there are cap issues here. I suppose the idea would be to move Ballard, but then, why would Carolna do that trade?

However, he is exactly what I'd like to see. He's not a great skater. But he's tough and would keep the crease cleared. much better defensively than either Alberts or Rome and he could handle 4/5 position minutes.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
"To the right situation", not to Vancouver specifically. I wouldn't be opposed to Bryan Allen, he would certainly bring an edge to the defense. Not much in the way of offense, however.
He did specifically note that Vancouver fits that criteria. How's Allen's first pass? Does anyone know if it has improved in his time away from Vancouver?

Old
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'd welcome Allen back if it ensures Alberts doesn't see the ice for most of the post-season.
I would really only want to acquire Allen if it meant we were dispatching Alberts for a pick or something. Allen would eat up what available cap space we have remaining, and the idea of another year of Alberts at $1.225m isn't exactly appealing.

Allen > Alberts, though, IMO.

And wholesickcrew - Murph noted that Vancouver would fit the criteria of being a contender, and I agree Allen would likely waive his clause to come here as he had always said how much he liked Vancouver. I was just clarifying that in the context of the article, Allen did not say he would "waive his NTC to come to Vancouver", he said he would waive it to come to the right situation and Murph speculates that Vancouver could be a fit.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
PRNuck

Quote:

I'd love to get Allen back just because then I could pretend we drafted and developed a defenseman successfully.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I'd love to get Allen back just because then I could pretend we drafted and developed a defenseman successfully.

No?

Old
02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Approaching 1,000 posts, Part XIII opened. Take it over there.

Closed Thread