HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Go-to shootout moves

Old
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
nukethewhales
gotta nuke something

vCash: 500
Go-to shootout moves

I ended up winning a contest in which I get to take two shootout shots against a former professional goalie (either Curtis Joseph, Billy Smith, Jocelyn Thiabult or Sami Jo Small) at the ACC on this Sunday.

The problem is, I'm a tall D-league defensive defenceman with hands of stone, poor agility, a powerful slapshot, but no wrist or snap shot. I obviously don't expect to dazzle and dangle, but at the same time, I don't expect the goalie to act as if it's game 82 and playoff entry is on the line. I've seen videos of the past event, and they actually seem pretty indifferent about the whole thing.

So what are some fail-proof shootout moves that you rely on? So far, I was thinking of a spin-o-rama, just for show. If not, I'll just use my size to run the goalie

nukethewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
congrats on being chosen. I recommend going wide, then as you cut across stickhandle back and fourth widely until you noticed five hole is wide enough to snipe it through, about 5-6 inches off the ice so that his stick wont get it.

Low-block is never a bad choice either.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Aftcomet*

Will you win anything if you score?

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
shawn1331

Come in on the right wing if your a lefty (other way if righty) and take a clapper back short side about 6 inches off the ice.

Come down the middle slightly offset towards your off wing and do a quick fake to the backhand(bite with your skates really hard) and go to your fore hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMad9...eature=related

Obviously it won't be as smooth but it's a pretty effective and easy move to do.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Come down slightly on your off wing going towards the middle of the ice. When you hit the slot open your blade and at the far side of the net, then quickly fake to your backhand and then right back to your forehand. If all goes well you should have most of the far side open for a shot.

I saw it in a Kings/Stars game a few weeks ago and I fell in love with it since it's so simple and you can use it while coming in fast.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...1&event=L.A285

If the link above doesn't work, it's Trevor Lewis's goal from the Kings/Stars game on January 12th.

Keep in mind I've only had one shootout attempt since, but I've done this move on breakaways in the right situation and it has a decent success rate.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

1st attempt: come in and take a clapper from the top of the circles aiming five hole.

2nd attempt: come in and fake the clapper from the hash marks, then deke either faking one way or the other and roof it

Also if it's against Billy Smith, don't hit him in the mask and maybe just let him make the save

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Ozz

I'm a righty and if a goalie jumps early I roof it immediately. Otherwise I mostly have the intention to fake the forehand, cut and backhand it up top over the blocker. If I see that I'm given the five hole, or if I Know the goalie has a tendency to leave it open, I'll do what the guy above said and make him split the legs so I can slip it through.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
kento19
@kento19

of course you could just do this. Looks pretty easy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukvoxs3Foto

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

See I think Billy Smith would just skate out of the crease and clock you in the skull if you tried that

Old
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
vapor11

Hit them with the element of surprise..Make sure to look extra beginner when you get on the ice.maybe even fall if you have too ..They are probobly going to think you are not good enough to go backhand so fake or jux to your forhand and then go backhand..You may catch them offguard and have a whole net to shoot at...practice it a few times

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

As a defenceman I never got a chance to shoot in a SO (because my coaches were dumb) but I always dominated in practice.

Fake shot leg kick to the backhand and then back to the forehand. Thats my go to move. If the goalie really bites on the fake shot then just backhand it (like Crosby's vs. Montreal) if you can, although its hard to change your move on the fly. Normally however most goalies are ready for the backhand deke but if you really exaggerate going to the backhand they normally slide over allowing you to pull it back to the forehand. It's pretty easy to pull off too.

Spinorama works well too as does the Datsyuk but the Datsyuk is a little harder to do. I rarely shoot unless the goalie is deep in the net. If you're gonna shoot then make sure you have a quick release. Linus Omark's fake clapper/on the ice five-hole actually works surprisingly well too.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
prob22

1-2-3 triple deak!

prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Found this while digging through old posts. Favorite shootout move.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:01 PM
nukethewhales
gotta nuke something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
Will you win anything if you score?
No, but they host a pond-hockey type event after the shootout. I think the real win is being able to skate on the ACC ice.

Thanks everyone for the advice. So far I'm thinking of the leg kick fake, backhand-forehand. I'd love to do the Datsyuk, but if it didn't work, I'd be in an awful position to take a shot and would look pretty foolish.

If I don't embarrass myself, I'll post some photos and the video that they take.

nukethewhales is offline   Reply With Quote