HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worcester Sharks / San Francisco Bulls Summer 2012 News/notes

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...o-minor-league

Sharks close to announcing new ECHL affiliate team, SF Bulls
So are they going to change their name to the SF BullSharks?

I'm sure one of our resident photoshop genius's could come up with an awesome logo for that (bull body, grinning shark head, nose ring with a hockey puck on it, etc).

Old
07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
So are they going to change their name to the SF BullSharks?

I'm sure one of our resident photoshop genius's could come up with an awesome logo for that (bull body, grinning shark head, nose ring with a hockey puck on it, etc).
Would they then become known as "The BS"?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

We (Bulls) have a sticky now! Awesome. Can't wait for the affiliation.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Would they then become known as "The BS"?
I think with a name like the Bulls, they are going to be known as the Bull**** something. Better that BS stand for BullShark than the alternative.

They can just own it!

Old
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

What about Thunder?

Edit: Nevermind, read the article. So will our few guys in Stockton go to SF?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
What about Thunder?

Edit: Nevermind, read the article. So will our few guys in Stockton go to SF?
Nope...only Thomas Heemskerk was San Jose property in Stockton, so he'll be the only one heading to SF (presuming SF doesn't sign any Stockton free agents, of course.)

Old
07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
So will our few guys in Stockton go to SF?
Maybe one or two guys on AHL/ECHL contracts. That was it.

Between Heemskerk and Stalock's rehab, realistically, that was the only "loaned" player(s) to Stockton last season.

A good thing about having a dedicated ECHL affiliation is that you can put all the goalies there and not have to worry about not getting the guy(s) you want get their time.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

One thing it does mean, is that if the Sharks have kids @ rookie camp they want to see develop, they may end up in SF and get called up on PTOs to Worcester.

Guessing that the Sharks will have staff and/or scouts @ Bulls development camp (in late September, just before their first training camp starts).

Old
07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Alaskanice

With sincere apologies to those over in Worcester, I would be jazzed if the Sharks were to make the SF team their AHL affiliate in the future. I would love to see the Junior Sharks play.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
With sincere apologies to those over in Worcester, I would be jazzed if the Sharks were to make the SF team their AHL affiliate in the future. I would love to see the Junior Sharks play.
Would you then be "jazzed" (in my best flamboyant SF accent) to see them play all their games on the road... and have the NHL Sharks suffer when trying to juggle guys in and out of their lineup?

Old
07-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
The only way that could happen (so, yeah, I'm saying there is a chance ) is if three or four other teams moved to within bus distance to wherever the Sharks put their affiliate. One of the reasons the Sharks love developing their players here is last season the WorSharks spent nine nights in hotel rooms, with most of those taking place in St. John's, Newfoundland. Some of the western teams in the AHL spent upwards of 30 or more night on the road, meaning the WorSharks prospects got a minimum of 20 more days of practice and development vs the prospects on some of those other teams.

Another positive is Worcester is within 90 minutes of four airports that can easily get recalled players from New England to every single NHL city (excepting Vancouver). Teams play half their games on the road, so the ability to get players to other NHL cities is just as important (if not more) as being able to get them to the home city.

Now SJ could decide to have an outlier AHL franchise like Calgary (Abbotsford, British Columbia) or Winnipeg (St. John's, Newfoundland) do, but each of those teams has to pay substantial money into the AHL travel fun to offset the costs of team coming in to play there. Those teams are on their own flying around the continent to play road games. As money conscious the Sharks seem to be I don't see this happening unless they literally have no other choice.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

WorcesterSharks: @worcestersharks sitting first row at opening of #AHLmeetings. #TealRepresented http://t.co/VvEK4Lbn

Old
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
WorcesterSharks: @worcestersharks sitting first row at opening of #AHLmeetings. #TealRepresented http://t.co/VvEK4Lbn
I'm waiting for the announcement that one of them has been suspended...

Old
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I'm waiting for the announcement that one of them has been suspended...
One of who?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
One of who?
The WorSharks front office is sitting in the front row at the AHL meetings going on right now...I was making a joke based on all the times we had a player suspended this season.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
The only way that could happen (so, yeah, I'm saying there is a chance ) is if three or four other teams moved to within bus distance to wherever the Sharks put their affiliate. One of the reasons the Sharks love developing their players here is last season the WorSharks spent nine nights in hotel rooms, with most of those taking place in St. John's, Newfoundland. Some of the western teams in the AHL spent upwards of 30 or more night on the road, meaning the WorSharks prospects got a minimum of 20 more days of practice and development vs the prospects on some of those other teams.

Another positive is Worcester is within 90 minutes of four airports that can easily get recalled players from New England to every single NHL city (excepting Vancouver). Teams play half their games on the road, so the ability to get players to other NHL cities is just as important (if not more) as being able to get them to the home city.

Now SJ could decide to have an outlier AHL franchise like Calgary (Abbotsford, British Columbia) or Winnipeg (St. John's, Newfoundland) do, but each of those teams has to pay substantial money into the AHL travel fun to offset the costs of team coming in to play there. Those teams are on their own flying around the continent to play road games. As money conscious the Sharks seem to be I don't see this happening unless they literally have no other choice.
I can't speak to St. John's, but Abbotsford probably regrets their decision to have an AHL team right now too. The city is on the hook for a boatload of money for arena construction (there's no private owner for the arena, it's owned by the city of Abbotsford) and they apparently subsidize the team's operating budget too, and they do terrible drawing in crowds for any team other than the Canucks' farm team (Manitoba/Chicago). In their first or second season when the WorSharks made at trip up here I got a 5 pack of games and it was dead every single night. Like maybe half full in an arena that only seats 7-8,000. And it's about to get worse for them as divisional realignment means that Chicago is no longer in their division and will as such play fewer games in Abbotsford. And anyone who might go to see their favorite team's farm club may only get that chance once every few years. I haven't been back since that season to watch Worcester even though it's been like 3 or 4 years because the Sharks haven't come back (and who knows if/when they ever will.)

so yeah, like 210 says, the only way San Jose is getting their AHL franchise out west is if the league makes a concerted effort to establish a western presence and they move at least a handful of teams out here. But that would still spike travel costs to cover all the east/west flying.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I haven't been back since that season to watch Worcester even though it's been like 3 or 4 years because the Sharks haven't come back (and who knows if/when they ever will.)
It's very unlikely they will in the foreseeable...the WorSharks didn't mind the trip the year they went out there and actually told the AHL they would do it the next season, but they needed at least one "partner" here in New England to go out there too so Abbotsford (and at that point Manitoba) would be able to play four games during their trip back here. They couldn't find a dance partner so they couldn't go.

Now the AHL is really cutting back on the east/west play (except for some of the west teams close to east teams) so you probably won't see Worcester playing out west unless it's the Calder Cup finals (so, yes, I'm saying there is a chance )

Old
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

@brodiebrazilCSN
#sjsharks announce affiliation with #echl @sf_bulls

07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Super official now

http://sfbulls.com/news/bulls-become...n-jose-sharks/

I'm TOTALLY getting a Heemskerk Bulls jersey

Old
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

So they really went with Ducks colors? Yargh.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
It's very unlikely they will in the foreseeable...the WorSharks didn't mind the trip the year they went out there and actually told the AHL they would do it the next season, but they needed at least one "partner" here in New England to go out there too so Abbotsford (and at that point Manitoba) would be able to play four games during their trip back here. They couldn't find a dance partner so they couldn't go.

Now the AHL is really cutting back on the east/west play (except for some of the west teams close to east teams) so you probably won't see Worcester playing out west unless it's the Calder Cup finals (so, yes, I'm saying there is a chance )
Yeah, that sucks. Oh well, no reason for me to go see the heat means I can put my hockey budget into Giants tickets instead (and I find that I like WHL hockey more than AHL games)

Old
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Quote:
The orange and black make sense because they're Giants colors, but I'm not a fan of the Ducks lettering.

Old
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Giants colors? It really doesn't look as Ducky in person.

Old
KirbyDots

Demers will be glad that we can't send him to the Stockton Thunder anymore.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk214 View Post
The orange and black make sense because they're Giants colors, but I'm not a fan of the Ducks lettering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
Giants colors? It really doesn't look as Ducky in person.
There's gold in there. Unless the Giants use gold and I don't know about it, black/orange/gold are the domain of the Ducks.

Closed Thread