HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Stanley Cup should be awarded

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Lost Kangaroo

vCash: 500
Stanley Cup should be awarded

" I have been for some time, been thinking it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup, witch should be held FROM YEAR TO YEAR, by the champion hockey club of the dominion."
- Lord Stanley of Preston

In 1892, Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston and GovernoróGeneral of Canada purchased an ornate silver bowl for 10 guineas (about $48) and donated it to serve as a trophy for the best amateur hockey team in Canada. Since 1910, when the newly formed National Hockey Association started using this trophy, it has been a symbol of professional hockey supremacy.

I am of the opinion that just because the NHL and the NHLPA cant get their s#!t together does not mean that the Stanley cup should not be awarded. It was the wish of Lord Stanley that the cup be awarded both year to year and to the champion of the top pro league. If the top pro league happens to be the AHL this year then so be it. Let the Cup read "Bridgeport Soundtigers" etc. if they be champs. I dont know how the cup came to be the sole property of the NHL, but it has been around a lot longer than that league and will probably be around a long time after that league disbands. (if it ever would).

I say if the season is lost for the NHL than we owe it to the legacy of the man who donated the cup to abide by his wishes and see that it gets awarded every year, not just when the suits at the NHL decide it should.

Does anyone out there agree?

This would also be a once in a lifetime oportunity for a lot of players and possibly one lucky city somewhere.

Old
10-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Velouria

It should be awarded to the winner of the Memorial Cup.

Old
10-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Winston Wolf

No and no.

Old
10-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Stephen

Here's a dumb question:

if the Stanley Cup bowl was just purchased and wasn't made specially, does that mean that there antique bowls floating around that look like the Stanley Cup bowl? Maybe I could find one at an Antique Roadshow?

Old
10-17-2004, 10:55 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

You want to ruin the lineage of the GREAT Calder cup just to award some Silver Bowl donated by a bumbling Englishman? Crazy ********!

Old
10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Maybe it should be donated to MLB so they could finally have a decent looking championship trophy.

Old
10-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
give it to the NFL and NBA while your at it

Old
10-17-2004, 11:36 PM
jcorb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Kangaroo
" I have been for some time, been thinking it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup, witch should be held FROM YEAR TO YEAR, by the champion hockey club of the dominion."

In 1892, Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston and GovernoróGeneral of Canada purchased an ornate silver bowl for 10 guineas (about $48) and donated it to serve as a trophy for the best amateur hockey team in Canada. Since 1910, when the newly formed National Hockey Association started using this trophy, it has been a symbol of professional hockey supremacy.

I am of the opinion that just because the NHL and the NHLPA cant get their s#!t together does not mean that the Stanley cup should not be awarded. It was the wish of Lord Stanley that the cup be awarded both year to year and to the champion of the top pro league. If the top pro league happens to be the AHL this year then so be it. Let the Cup read "Bridgeport Soundtigers" etc. if they be champs. I dont know how the cup came to be the sole property of the NHL, but it has been around a lot longer than that league and will probably be around a long time after that league disbands. (if it ever would).

I say if the season is lost for the NHL than we owe it to the legacy of the man who donated the cup to abide by his wishes and see that it gets awarded every year, not just when the suits at the NHL decide it should.

This would also be a once in a lifetime oportunity for a lot of players and possibly one lucky city somewhere.
Lets have a tournament that has the chamlionship teams from the top leagues in the world. Have a North American pool (CCHA,AHL, CHL,and ECHL) and a
European pool (SEL, RSL, FIN and CZE). The finals are played in Iceland.

Old
10-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Maybe it should be donated to MLB so they could finally have a decent looking championship trophy.
Better yet, let's give it to Canada for the World Cup win...

Old
10-18-2004, 08:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe
Better yet, let's give it to Canada for the World Cup win...

Let's give it to Finland since Canada already has a trophy for that.

Old
10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Seachd

Quote:

No. It was also his wish that the Cup goes to the best team in Canada. That went out the window a long time ago.

Old
10-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
just put a blank for 2004-2005,
it'll serve as a reminder of the greed of the Players (and owners, if your into that)

Old
10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
You want to ruin the lineage of the GREAT Calder cup just to award some Silver Bowl donated by a bumbling Englishman? Crazy ********!
Off with his head!!!!!

Old
10-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

I am of the opinion that just because the NHL and the NHLPA cant get their s#!t together does not mean that the Stanley cup should not be awarded. It was the wish of Lord Stanley that the cup be awarded both year to year and to the champion of the top pro league.
The Stanley cup was meant originally to be only for amateur teams, it later became a professional trophy, it was never meant to be one. So lord Stanley's wishes have not been followed for 90+ years.

Old
10-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Velouria

that was kind of what I was getting at

Old
10-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Here's a dumb question:

if the Stanley Cup bowl was just purchased and wasn't made specially, does that mean that there antique bowls floating around that look like the Stanley Cup bowl? Maybe I could find one at an Antique Roadshow?
Like this one? Try ebay maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg punchbowl.jpg‎ (37.0 KB, 26 views)

Closed Thread