HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 50 Canadian

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Considering it's on television and doesn't claim to be any sort of official listing, I would think that would be obvious.

I also don't think it's bizarre to see Rydified getting frustrated because people are making an issue out of something so small.
Well, people are starting threads about it, I assume it's for discussion.

Old
10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I repeat I NEVER SAID IT MAKES HIM A TOP TEN CANADIAN....geez does anyone ever read a post ?
Heye toi parle pas de ma mère de la sorte!

Old
10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Wow, now woman mentioned in top 10....this a total joke...and Cherry, don't even get me started. I am not a huge Celin Dion fan but she and Shania Twain are maybe the only Canadians known abroad nowadays.
What a joke!
Celine Dion and Shania Twain???? Aside from being ridiculously famous what exactly have they done ?

Oh yes, I see, Celine was a 14 year old coke head who slept with a Sugar Daddy to make it to stardom...that's as Canadian as can be .
Shania Married a record producer , had her nose done and showed her belly button to make it to stardom....also as Canadian as can be

Very good choices .. way ahead of David Suzuki's accomplishments . Gee all he's doing is saving the planet and stuff, useless genius he is .How unCanadian

Old
10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
No, having Gretzky in the top 10 and Lemieux at either 38 or 39 (don't remeber wich but it's in there) just shows everyone Quebec is a distinct society.
Gretzky ambassador to hockey, always available for interviews, leads all professional sports with "number of records held" by one individual . Is responsable for the expansion of his sport in the south west U.S , has never been involved in any controversy aside from the NJ Mickey Mouse comment . Led Canada to Olympic gold and World Championship gold . The list goes on and on . It has nothing to do with what province he was born in....give it a rest already

Old
10-19-2004, 09:35 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
I still can't believe Gregory Charles isn't there...
.JONNHY V isn't there too ...

Old
10-19-2004, 09:58 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Don't get upset, but you're the one getting riled up "over something so small". I'm just pointing out that you're talking about "Canada as a whole", yet the polling to all intents and purposes excludes Québec, which holds about 25 % of it's population, the majority of whom speak french. Do you find that normal? Don't you think that québécois would have had some contribution to make in determining "the greatest canadian"? Do you think the results would have been different if québécois had been encouraged to participate in the poll?

So let's just say that the poll was done for entertainment purposes, is no big deal, and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of Canadian society "as a whole". How's that?
right !

it will be fun if src would do the same exercise ...i think that it will give a completly differente result ;

1 René Lesvesque
2 maurice Richard
3 Lucien Bouchard
4 Jean Drapeau ( expo 67 , olympic games )
5 Gretsky
6 bombardier
7 Mario Lemieux
8 Molson familly( a top 10 list without a beer productor ??? )
9 Desjardins ( caisse populaire desjardins )
10 celine dion
26 000 677 Don Cherry

Old
10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
No, having Gretzky in the top 10 and Lemieux at either 38 or 39 (don't remeber wich but it's in there) just shows everyone Quebec is a distinct society.
the fact that a lot of people voted for Cherry shows it alrteady...

by the way , what is a 80 years old and more pool ?

Old
10-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
I repeat I NEVER SAID IT MAKES HIM A TOP TEN CANADIAN....geez does anyone ever read a post ?
Umm, funny, I read your post, which outlined what a great guy cherry was for all his charity work and support of minor hockey, and pointed out that it would be foolish to ignore his very serious character flaw... i.e being a close minded fool spewing hate filled crap on a national broadcast.
My post had nothing to do with the top ten thing... and everything to do with questioning how a rational human being could defend such a bigot.
maybe you should take your own advice and take the time to READ posts before you write a reply!

Old
10-20-2004, 05:19 AM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
Umm, funny, I read your post, which outlined what a great guy cherry was for all his charity work and support of minor hockey, and pointed out that it would be foolish to ignore his very serious character flaw... i.e being a close minded fool spewing hate filled crap on a national broadcast.
My post had nothing to do with the top ten thing... and everything to do with questioning how a rational human being could defend such a bigot.
maybe you should take your own advice and take the time to READ posts before you write a reply!
You're absolutely right , guilty .

Old
10-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Minos

It's absurd to suggest that the top ten list somehow intentionally ignored Quebec. 3 of the top ten were born in Scotland (Bell, Douglas and MacDonald), and only 4 provinces were represented and Quebec was one of them (Ontario, Manitoba, and BC are the others).

I don't like the inclusion of Don Cherry in the top 10, but I think the others are all reasonable choices (personally I wouldn't include Gretzky or any other athlete).

Only Malakhov has offered suggestions of Quebec born Canadians and to be honest while I think each have made a contribution to our country I don't think any of them deserve recognition in the top 10 (perhaps Lesvesque).

On a bit of a side note, the selection that makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever is Ed Belfour. Beyond hockey what has he done (even in hockey what has he done in comparisson any number of other players?). I'm not sure what he's contributed to our country...

Old
10-20-2004, 11:27 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Celine Dion and Shania Twain???? Aside from being ridiculously famous what exactly have they done ?

Oh yes, I see, Celine was a 14 year old coke head who slept with a Sugar Daddy to make it to stardom...that's as Canadian as can be .
Shania Married a record producer , had her nose done and showed her belly button to make it to stardom....also as Canadian as can be

Very good choices .. way ahead of David Suzuki's accomplishments . Gee all he's doing is saving the planet and stuff, useless genius he is .How unCanadian
of course, I do agree with your point...and they both represent the French and the English Canadian stereotype in the world. Also bringing fame to your own country is not a bad thing. Take this from someone who lived in 12 different countries in the last 20 years.
Good point anyway.

Old
10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
of course, I do agree with your point...and they both represent the French and the English Canadian stereotype in the world. Also bringing fame to your own country is not a bad thing. Take this from someone who lived in 12 different countries in the last 20 years.
Good point anyway.
You've lived in 12 different countries in the last 20 years

Wow, that must have been a really cool experience. How old are you VAN-HAB?

Old
10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
rocketlives

I'd vote for Dr Wilder Penfield. Although he was born in the US, Dr Penfield spent most of his adult life in Montreal and his achievements as a neurosurgeon made him a wolrldwide celebrity. He founded the Montreal Institute of Neurology and he was also a great supporter of bilingualism and biculturalism. In his own house family members would speak English or French depending on which floor they were at a given time.

http://etc.princeton.edu/CampusWWW/C...ld_wilder.html

Last edited by rocketlives: 10-20-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old
10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
I'd vote for Dr Wilder Penfield. Although he was born in the US, Dr Penfield spent most of his adult life in Montreal and his achievements as a neurosurgeon made him a wolrldwide celebrity. He founded the Montreal Institute of Neurology and he was also a great supporter of bilingualism and biculturalism. In his own house family members would speak English or French depending on which floor they were at a given time.

http://etc.princeton.edu/CampusWWW/C...ld_wilder.html

Very good idea. Is Norman Bethune on the list ? he might also be an interesting choice.

PS my mother was a nurse and worked with Penfield in some of his ground breaking mapping of the human brain (actually head nurse when they started up the M.I.N.). A great mind and a great man, she said.

Old
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
You've lived in 12 different countries in the last 20 years

Wow, that must have been a really cool experience. How old are you VAN-HAB?
36 now

Old
10-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I voted for Terry Fox

Old
10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
mcphee

How can the list be taken seriously if it doesn't include Darz ? ohh, wait, it's that other thread where we're all being nice to that jackass. Sorry.

Old
10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Alexander Ovechkin

Me too

Old
10-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The good thing about Don Cherry being there is that it tends to make me feel more united with our brethren in the USA. He is a uniter, not a divider. He stands up for what he believes in, even when he's wrong. And he never lets his supposed respect for people get in the way of totally and hideously mispronouncing their names.

Old
10-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Minos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
The good thing about Don Cherry being there is that it tends to make me feel more united with our brethren in the USA. He is a uniter, not a divider. He stands up for what he believes in, even when he's wrong. And he never lets his supposed respect for people get in the way of totally and hideously mispronouncing their names.
I HOPE that's meant sarcastically!

Old
10-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Mooch

Quote:
36 now
I always, for what ever reason thought you were much younger.......

No big deal though, 36 is still relatively young..........well kinda .

Why so much moving around though from country to country VAN
-HAB??

Old
10-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Call me crazy, but i like cherry too.........

In a entertaining way of course

Old
10-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
.JONNHY V isn't there too ...
JOHNNY V is Canadian?

Old
10-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Good point anyway.
12 PAYS!!! Tu te cherches! Et je ne peux pas croire un gars qui a vécu dans 12 pays différents qu'il est bien, présentement, en Colombie Britannique!

Old
10-21-2004, 02:12 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
12 PAYS!!! Tu te cherches! Et je ne peux pas croire un gars qui a vécu dans 12 pays différents qu'il est bien, présentement, en Colombie Britannique!
purqois pas? la Columbie Britanique est la plus diverse province au Canada, je trouve ici exectement un peu de partout.

Closed Thread