HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 50 Canadian

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2004, 11:02 PM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Sorry if I may sound stupid.. but what did Cherry say about French Canadians in the first place?

Old
10-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Slick Nick

Bret Hart... a great Canadian

My country makes me sick

Old
10-23-2004, 09:05 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick

My country makes me sick
Do you even know who he is? Even if you like wrestling or not he was the best canadian in it and has wrestled every single day for 20 years. He is a great canadian.

Old
10-23-2004, 09:08 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick

My country makes me sick
Breathe deeply Nick. I don't think the votes are representative of anybody other than a bunch of kids having fun with the premise. Settle for the voters making you sick.

Old
10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minos
I'll admit my bias - I can't stand Celine Dion, but I as objectively as I can be I don't think its fair to say that she's faced the same level of pressure as Gretzky. She did have expectations placed on her at a young age, and she did live up to those expectations (and should be appreciated for that), so on that level they are similar.

I think the major difference is that if Celine failed, ultimately she only failed herself (and I guess her family who were depending on her). If Gretzky failed, he failed the future of the entire NHL and all of the industries and investments associated with it. It's not like Sony ever went to Celine and said "If your next album isn't a hit, we're doomed." Her record label (and industry on a whole) was never 100% dependent on anything she did personally. But essentially, that's what Gretzky was faced with. The NHL HAD to sell itself to America, and Gretzky was the best - maybe only - chance for them to do that. If he failed, the future of the league was in serious trouble.
I dont like Celine Dion at all, but i think you underrated the level of pressure she have faced. While i understand your point when you talk about Gretzky, Celine Dion was a little French girl (doesnt even know 1 word of english at start) who was facing the world of music. Maybe Sony never came to said: "If your next album isn't a hit, we're doomed." but " If your next 3 albums arent a hit, you are out" is not out of the question at the start of his career.

At one point or another in his career, the level of pressure she must of face was probably as high as any other you could find or close.

Old
10-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Minos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
I dont like Celine Dion at all, but i think you underrated the level of pressure she have faced. While i understand your point when you talk about Gretzky, Celine Dion was a little French girl (doesnt even know 1 word of english at start) who was facing the world of music. Maybe Sony never came to said: "If your next album isn't a hit, we're doomed." but " If your next 3 albums arent a hit, you are out" is not out of the question at the start of his career.

At one point or another in his career, the level of pressure she must of face was probably as high as any other you could find or close.
I'm not denying that she had to deal with pressure, but I think her management did a good job of sheltering her from alot of it. Before she recorded in English and released an album in America, she was already a 6 year vetran of the music industry and enjoyed a level of success in alot of countries (gold records in Canada, France and Japan) - there's no doubt that took alot of pressure off of her. At first she was signed to Epic (a smaller label owned by Sony) so even they made an effort to bring her along slowly.

She's dealt with alot in her career, but I don't think she dealt with any extraordinary pressure. She more or less has dealt with the same level of pressure that anyone who signs a record deal is faced with - which can be alot, but does that define greatness?

Old
10-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Joe Malone

Don Cherry admits it: He's not the greatest Canadian. "I'm not better than Terry Fox," he told the Sun this weekend.

Cherry thinks he'd win hands down if the show was called The Most Popular Canadian. "I've got no humility on that one," he told the Sun.

http://www.canoe.ca/Television/oct25_cherry-sun.html

Closed Thread