HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official RIP 2013 All-Star Game Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
From Lori Schmidt's blog:

According to the Blue Jackets press release:

“The rendering of the Ohio State flag was illustrated in a way that expresses speed and movement and the small dimensional star with crossed hockey sticks was inspired by military insignia found on Civil War artifacts. The typography, inspired by the dimensional star of the Blue Jackets logo and combined elements, express speed, excitement and instantly connect this jewel event of the NHL to the host team and city.”

OK, if you say so.(that's from me, not Lori)

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Here is a sharper image of the logo.

The crossed hockey sticks just look awkward. If you can't fit a graphic like that in without distorting it, the whole image just looks... off. Other than that I think it's fine.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
According to the Blue Jackets press release:

“The rendering of the Ohio State flag was illustrated in a way that expresses speed and movement and the small dimensional star with crossed hockey sticks was inspired by military insignia found on Civil War artifacts. The typography, inspired by the dimensional star of the Blue Jackets logo and combined elements, express speed, excitement and instantly connect this jewel event of the NHL to the host team and city.”

OK, if you say so.(that's from me, not Lori)
That all seems forced to me. How about "We went with this logo cause we think it looks really ****in cool" ?

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:13 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
I like it. I hadn't noticed that the overall shape suggests a "C" for Columbus. I may have to buy something with that on it.
You're seeing crap old man.
Us young people see a spaceship landing.
So why are there 12 stars on the spaceship's flag?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Real Ohio flag with correct number of stars.

(notice how the stars form 'C' around the Honda Japanese rising sun?)

Last edited by JACKETfan: 04-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 04:00 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I'd guess the 12 stands for the CBJ's 12th season?

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:08 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I'd guess the 12 stands for the CBJ's 12th season?
1 star short in memoriam of Boomer.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:32 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
1 star short in memoriam of Boomer.
Excellent thought, but the real flag has 17, so the artist's screw-up is 5 short (or 4 if you count in the one big honkin star we stole from Dallas, which isn't even part of the flag, so FIVE.)

Perhaps "Star-gate" will be the thing that finally takes down Howson.

Old
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Excellent thought, but the real flag has 17, so the artist's screw-up is 5 short (or 4 if you count in the one big honkin star we stole from Dallas, which isn't even part of the flag, so FIVE.)

It's like being demoted in the Army. We lose one star for every year Howson runs the team.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:49 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
It's like being demoted in the Army. We lose one star for every year Howson runs the team.
<===== [points to post 206]

Old
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
<===== [points to post 206]
Nope, there are only 12 stars on the normal Blue Jackets logo. I would guess it is just to hard to fit 17 stars into the logo.

BTW in case some did not know this logo was not designed by the team. It was done by the NHL.

04-29-2012, 08:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I liked this quote from JrMac:

Blue Jackets majority owner John P. McConnell addressed the crowd before Bettman. While Bettman got a smattering of boos among the cheers -- at this point, such a welcome for the commish is almost cliche -- McConnell got only cheers. As he took the mic, McConnell said: "That's probably a better reception than I deserve." He did not want to speak with reporters after the event.

Do you think he's aware of the criticism he's taken from the fans? In any case, I appreciate his acceptance of blame that the quote implies. Certainly doesn't minimize his failure to act, but I'm glad he seems to know how he's being perceived around town.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:41 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Blue Jackets majority owner John P. McConnell addressed the crowd before Bettman. While Bettman got a smattering of boos among the cheers -- at this point, such a welcome for the commish is almost cliche -- McConnell got only cheers. As he took the mic, McConnell said: "That's probably a better reception than I deserve." He did not want to speak with reporters after the event.

Do you think he's aware of the criticism he's taken from the fans? In any case, I appreciate his acceptance of blame that the quote implies. Certainly doesn't minimize his failure to act, but I'm glad he seems to know how he's being perceived around town.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I think most of public criticisms of the organization never make it to his desk.... I'm glad we have a team, but I truly feel he doesn't quite understand the extent of the situation, nor does he fully grasp the fan frustration.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:

Some of the cheers for JrMac sounded staged. Although no one booed, but there were a scattering of CBJ staff or fans that seemed as if they going to overcompensate on JrMac's introduction as if they expected it to be a poor reception.

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 27476
I would have liked to see the lower large star be the same star as on the jersey crest.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:36 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
Some of the cheers for JrMac sounded staged. Although no one booed, but there were a scattering of CBJ staff or fans that seemed as if they going to overcompensate on JrMac's introduction as if they expected it to be a poor reception.
I was there, standing less than 10 feet from Priest and Co, and I can assure you that this is completely untrue.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:40 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
How does a cheer sounded staged?

*EDIT* Never mind please don't answer. Can we please keep this thread on topic? If you want to make up ridiculous conspiracy theories or talk about how much The team, JPM, Priest and/or Howson suck take it somewhere else. The ASG is something positive so lets keep this thread positive.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 04-29-2012 at 06:13 PM.
1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I would have liked to see the lower large star be the same star as on the jersey crest.
It would have unbalanced the overall look. Since the star on the logo runs uphill, the writing would have then have to be angled uphill as well.

That's what all the designs from 2003-04 to 2010-11 had...uphill writing. It's hideous.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It would have unbalanced the overall look. Since the star on the logo runs uphill, the writing would have then have to be angled uphill as well.

That's what all the designs from 2003-04 to 2010-11 had...uphill writing. It's hideous.
Your right never even noticed that. Looking at every logo since 2004 this years and next years are by far the best in the past 10 years. Take a look for yourselves and see if you agree.

[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/wme99qy7zwf8ebbf5lr5yga85.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/6864.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/5u9zevcrydvoeygcubhb.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/xihntvssqrg1vs9hsiulcr4gi.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/j3x9zzxmhlulnus5pf17t4hin.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/neg45oewirv9wzct6gqoo79vo.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/485/full/zfc3iirj6b5gn1tyzcl9ux0fn.gif[/IMG]

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Maybe its just me, but I think it would look way better with black trim. It makes it pop out more, just look at this years.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Your right never even noticed that. Looking at every logo since 2004 this years and next years are by far the best in the past 10 years. Take a look for yourselves and see if you agree.
Not a huge fan of the 2012 logo, I like the 2011 logo. I have an untrained eye, so take the comments for what it's worth.

The 2013 logo is pretty decent. But to me it's just a modification of every logo we've ever had. It's good, but I don't find it exciting. Having said that, I'll buy something with it on it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Just heard from my rep that all full season, upper bowl psl holders are guaranteed there current seats for the all star game and skills comp. All lower bowl too with the exception of 4 sections. Bet people in those 4 sections will be pissed cause im guessing those aren't the cheap seats

Last edited by BJfan: 05-24-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Happy hour
BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
Just heard from my rep that all full season, upper bowl psl holders are guaranteed there current seats for the all star game and skills comp. All lower bowl too with the exception of 4 sections. Bet people in those 4 sections will be pissed cause im guessing those aren't the cheap seats
Wondering about club. Club 4 is center ice more or less. Probably under control of the NHL.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:33 PM
jag72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
That would be great news for me. I would love to have my upper bowl blue line tickets for both events.

jag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Arch City Zach

Sweet, ACA will still be in our section.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote