HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs/Wheeling Nailers 2011-12 season V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
They may be lucky to make the playoffs with those goalies. Also, if the defense is going to go with four rookies they will need to carry at least 8 guys on the roster. With injuries, call-ups and the college guys running out of gas by January they will need them. Do you really think Gomez will be in the AHL? Where's Conboy and why Avstin? There is a huge lack of veteran presence with this group.
I vote for pursuing Yann Danis or Cedrick Desjardins in goal. Yeah, it's re-cycling... but recycling with some fine proven AHL quality which we can really count on in the NHL 3rd stringer capacity too. Those guys will have good offers from their current teams and other teams too, though. But I think we should be able to offer them a nice premium AHL salary.

One very minor silver lining to our brutal season, however, is that the AHL gunslinger type of player ought to be able to look at our lineup that finished the season, and maybe think that the Habs are about as good a place to get a chance to play as anywhere. Guys like Martin St.Pierre and Alexandre Giroux still didn't get it in the Columbus system, so as UFAs, maybe Montreal is a fresh chance. Or Chris Bourque led the league and should be UFA, I believe.

Lots of options to consider. Probably have to beat some European salaries and accept the (very minimal) risk of re-entry waivers with premium AHL salaries. But I think it's important for player development for our farm team to be strong and have a good playoff run.

We can do better than Willsie and Lawson (nothing exactly against them - just that they're kind of a notch below the real top shelf gunslingers we should be able to afford and attract).

Old
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
UFA signing - Louis Leblanc - Danny Kristo
Blake Geoffrion - UFA signing - Brendan Gallagher
Olivier Fortier - Gabriel Dumont - Joonas Nattinen
Andrew Conboy - MichaŽl Bournival - Ian Schultz
bench: Alexander Avtsin, Patrick Holland, Philippe Lefebvre

Nathan Beaulieu - Alex Henry
Frederic St. Denis - Morgan Ellis
Jarred Tinordi - Brendan Nash
bench: Joe Stejskal, Greg Pateryn

UFA signing
Peter Delmas
Robert Mayer

Habs will likely sign a couple AHL vets this off season as always. Leblanc, Geoffrion, St. Denis, and Dumont will likely get NHL time giving spots for the bench.

Depending on how the rookie D and Gallagher/Kristo adapt/signs, it should be a playoff team.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Beakermania*

highly doubt Holland starts as a "bench" guy.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

UFA signing
Peter Delmas
Robert Mayer

Habs will likely sign a couple AHL vets this off season as always. Leblanc, Geoffrion, St. Denis, and Dumont will likely get NHL time giving spots for the bench.

Depending on how the rookie D and Gallagher/Kristo adapt/signs, it should be a playoff team.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Geoffrion waiver eligible next season? I doubt he'd clear.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
They may be lucky to make the playoffs with those goalies. Also, if the defense is going to go with four rookies they will need to carry at least 8 guys on the roster. With injuries, call-ups and the college guys running out of gas by January they will need them. Do you really think Gomez will be in the AHL? Where's Conboy and why Avstin? There is a huge lack of veteran presence with this group.
I would think that they will have 3 rookie D's as regulars, but I would expect them to carry 8 since they should have the bodies this time around. I won't pencil Gomez into the lineup until I see him in a Hamilton jersey, but something does need to be done about him.

If Henry and St-Denis are back, they might not have too much more in terms of vets depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out. If guys like Kristo and Quailer turn pro then there's going to be a big crowd in forward rookies as well, so we'll have to see how things shake out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I vote for pursuing Yann Danis or Cedrick Desjardins in goal. Yeah, it's re-cycling... but recycling with some fine proven AHL quality which we can really count on in the NHL 3rd stringer capacity too.
I'd be fine with either, anything to improve on this past season would be great. I think they need to find out what Delmas can do as he's played well in limited action with the Dogs and he's got 2 more years on his contract. A Danis or Desjardins and Delmas would be a interesting combo as it would be good for Delmas to work with an experienced goalie and having it be a fellow FA that the Habs gave a shot to could help as well since they have been down the same road.

Quote:

I would have Masse over Fortier, send Berger and Lefebvre to the ECHL, and I could see Quailer in the lineup but we'll have to see with Kristo. Will be interesting to see if Geoffrion and Leblanc can make the Habs or not.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I'm not a big fan of Fortier. I'd give Holland his spot if it came down to that.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Geoffrion waiver eligible next season? I doubt he'd clear.
no, he can go to hamilton without clearing waivers until he plays 3 more NHL games or in 2013-2014, whatever comes first.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I would have Masse over Fortier, send Berger and Lefebvre to the ECHL, and I could see Quailer in the lineup but we'll have to see with Kristo. Will be interesting to see if Geoffrion and Leblanc can make the Habs or not.
I'm not sure Habs will re-sign Masse while all the bodies coming in. Fortier was a relatively high pick so might be given more of a chance.

By the way, what's the deal with Fortier? Every time I watch the Dogs, he plays well. Even had a hattrick one game. He is incredibly injury prone though.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I'm not sure Habs will re-sign Masse while all the bodies coming in. Fortier was a relatively high pick so might be given more of a chance.

By the way, what's the deal with Fortier? Every time I watch the Dogs, he plays well. Even had a hattrick one game. He is incredibly injury prone though.
Masse has looked better though so I would assume they would go with him despite him being a FA and Fortier a 3rd rounder. Fortier does have much better speed but I like the smarts and effort of Masse more. Fortier has looked good on the PK but he just can't stay healthy.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:28 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:

UFA signing
Peter Delmas
Robert Mayer

I like your idea of two UFA's on forward. Also, would like to see both LeBlanc and Geoffrion spend most of the year with the Dogs. Was not impressed with their play when they returned from Montreal and I think a full season with big minutes would benefit them. What about Palushja, is he gone or in Montreal in your opinion? Also wouldn't mind if somehow they could fit Masse into the line-up. As for the D, IMO as I've said before Henry won't be back and Stejskal needs a year in the ECHL. He's too slow and not physical enough. That means at least two more guys are needed, hopefully veterans and other than Callahan no one from this years roster. We do need a proven goalie and hope he stays healthy all year.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:51 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I like your idea of two UFA's on forward. Also, would like to see both LeBlanc and Geoffrion spend most of the year with the Dogs. Was not impressed with their play when they returned from Montreal and I think a full season with big minutes would benefit them. What about Palushja, is he gone or in Montreal in your opinion? Also wouldn't mind if somehow they could fit Masse into the line-up. As for the D, IMO as I've said before Henry won't be back and Stejskal needs a year in the ECHL. He's too slow and not physical enough. That means at least two more guys are needed, hopefully veterans and other than Callahan no one from this years roster. We do need a proven goalie and hope he stays healthy all year.
I don't see Palushaj being back, he has to clear waivers to play in the AHL next year and while he could pass I would be surprised to see him sent down even though he hasn't looked impressive in the NHL. I have no clue what they will do with him but I'd be surprised if he was in Hamilton.

Leblanc and Geoffrion I'd like to see in Hamilton and maybe we will but with the poor group of forwards we currently have, unless changes are made they might be forced to have one or both with the Habs.

With as well as Masse played this year, i'd be surprised if he wasn't back. Stejskal could be in the ECHL since depending on what happens with guys like St-Denis/Henry, there's going to be limited ice time since they will have the 4 rookie defensemen so clearly they will need a couple vets plus with Nash. Perhaps they bring back Mitera so Pateryn and Stejskal can get regular shifts instead of sitting in the press box since Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis and whatever vets they have will eat up a lot of ice time. But it's good to have them in the ECHL if injuries hit as it would mean we have better depth. I'd bring Malka back on an AHL contract as well, don't see why we don't have more guys on AHL deals in the ECHL as it seems silly that our AHL team can't dress a full roster every night.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Even if we end up tanking next year, I hope this Hamilton team will be worth keeping track of. At least to see how Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Holland, Kristo and others play.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Booba
Fier, ťmu and proud

Quote:
I vote for pursuing Yann Danis or Cedrick Desjardins in goal. Yeah, it's re-cycling... but recycling with some fine proven AHL quality which we can really count on in the NHL 3rd stringer capacity too. Those guys will have good offers from their current teams and other teams too, though. But I think we should be able to offer them a nice premium AHL salary.
I have nothing against signing a high caliber AHL goaltender for next season. However, this would probably mean that Delmas will spent another year in the ECHL. It's a minor detail but it shows how the Habs management lacked vision. They signed two unproven goalkeepers (Mayer and Delmas) for 4 years (one year of their ELC slided because of their age). You're up against the 50 contract limit, it becomes though to attract the top NCAA UFA, but yet you have a guy like Delmas who might spend up to three years (the normal lenght of an ELC) in the ECHL. Go figure where is the mistake!

Old
04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I have nothing against signing a high caliber AHL goaltender for next season. However, this would probably mean that Delmas will spent another year in the ECHL. It's a minor detail but it shows how the Habs management lacked vision. They signed two unproven goalkeepers (Mayer and Delmas) for 4 years (one year of their ELC slided because of their age). You're up against the 50 contract limit, it becomes though to attract the top NCAA UFA, but yet you have a guy like Delmas who might spend up to three years (the normal lenght of an ELC) in the ECHL. Go figure where is the mistake!
I think management hoped that one of those two would develop into an AHL starter at the very least. Neither has taken that step.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I think management hoped that one of those two would develop into an AHL starter at the very least. Neither has taken that step.
But Delmas never was really given a chance in the A. For all I know he's been decent everytime he was called up and yet it's like they never even considered sending Mayer down to give Delmas a chance.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Yeah, they've really found some "gems" with goalie picks (my mind reels at picks like Lacasse and Missiaen too... although at least with the latter there was no contract)... maybe they figured they might just as well sign crappy goalie prospects as waste draft picks on them. I dunno. Delmas and Mayer both had some prior hype, at least... even if they ultimately don't seem at all likely to pan out.

Whatever, I think they inescapably have to sign a high calibre AHL goalie to be their #3 guy. Some teams can slide in their blue chip goalie prospect when injury strikes at the NHL level (see Lehner, Markstrom, Poulin, Hackett, etc callups this season). But if you don't have that, you have to have the veteran quality guy to bring up. I can't imagine Mayer or Delmas in the NHL. You should never end up there with just 1 injury. It should take a really ridiculous injury crunch to get down to their level.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Even if we end up tanking next year, I hope this Hamilton team will be worth keeping track of. At least to see how Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Holland, Kristo and others play.
Unless we get crushed with injuries again, I got to think Hamilton is going to be a lot of fun to watch since we should have the biggest incoming rookie class the org has had in some time. If Leblanc doesn't make the Habs full time, we should have 3 1st round picks with the Dogs, so that should be interesting.

Quote:
They could put Mayer on un-conditional waivers, buy out his last year, anything to push him out of the way as I would hope no sane GM would go with Mayer as the Habs #3 and Delmas as our 4th. We had the worst goalie depth in the NHL this year, imo, hard to think a new GM would actually make it worse. So something has to be done, although with the concerns over Delmas's health, not sure how that will impact things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
But Delmas never was really given a chance in the A. For all I know he's been decent everytime he was called up and yet it's like they never even considered sending Mayer down to give Delmas a chance.
I never understood it, granted we only saw Delmas in 6 games over 2 seasons, so we don't have a good sample to go off but in those games he played well and put up good numbers while Mayer consistently was giving up 3-4 goals all year.

Quote:
Yeah, they've really found some "gems" with goalie picks (my mind reels at picks like Lacasse and Missiaen too... although at least with the latter there was no contract)... maybe they figured they might just as well sign crappy goalie prospects as waste draft picks on them. I dunno. Delmas and Mayer both had some prior hype, at least... even if they ultimately don't seem at all likely to pan out.

Whatever, I think they inescapably have to sign a high calibre AHL goalie to be their #3 guy. Some teams can slide in their blue chip goalie prospect when injury strikes at the NHL level (see Lehner, Markstrom, Poulin, Hackett, etc callups this season). But if you don't have that, you have to have the veteran quality guy to bring up. I can't imagine Mayer or Delmas in the NHL. You should never end up there with just 1 injury. It should take a really ridiculous injury crunch to get down to their level.
I still don't know what they saw in Mayer when they signed him, he appeared to be very inconsistent when he was with the sea dogs. I thought the drafting of Lacasse was another odd move but at least they were smart and got Desjardins and Danis for free as both were at least good for the Dogs. But I agree 100%, the new GM must sign a high calibre AHL goalie to be the #3, it cannot be Mayer.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
TinordiandSubban

Speaking of goalies, read that Petteri Simila is having a solid season back in Finland and seems like he's pulling himself back together!

Old
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Why not sign Cedrick Desjardins next year? He played very at the AHL level and was decent when he was used in the NHL.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:48 AM
S Bah

I would like to see the Habs sign (G) Chris Rawlings out of Northeastern in the NCAA he's going to be an NHLer.While signing Quailer & Rawlings they should check out Center Ludvig Karlsson the team's top Rookie and highest scorer,Quailer was the MVP.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:59 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
With as well as Masse played this year, i'd be surprised if he wasn't back. Stejskal could be in the ECHL since depending on what happens with guys like St-Denis/Henry, there's going to be limited ice time since they will have the 4 rookie defensemen so clearly they will need a couple vets plus with Nash. Perhaps they bring back Mitera so Pateryn and Stejskal can get regular shifts instead of sitting in the press box since Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis and whatever vets they have will eat up a lot of ice time. But it's good to have them in the ECHL if injuries hit as it would mean we have better depth. I'd bring Malka back on an AHL contract as well, don't see why we don't have more guys on AHL deals in the ECHL as it seems silly that our AHL team can't dress a full roster every night.
I also would like to see Malka get an AHL contract. I liked the guys effort when he was up. I hope they don't ring back Mitera, he was -21 and not very consistent. Even when he was playing with Callahan or Henry he was a liability. I would rather have a controlled Zach Fitzgerald than him.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I also would like to see Malka get an AHL contract. I liked the guys effort when he was up. I hope they don't ring back Mitera, he was -21 and not very consistent. Even when he was playing with Callahan or Henry he was a liability. I would rather have a controlled Zach Fitzgerald than him.
Agreed. Really liked Malka in junior.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Give Cameron Critchlow of the Mooseheads an AHL contract. Could turn out to be a clutch 4th liner in the league.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I would like to see the Habs sign (G) Chris Rawlings out of Northeastern in the NCAA he's going to be an NHLer.While signing Quailer & Rawlings they should check out Center Ludvig Karlsson the team's top Rookie and highest scorer,Quailer was the MVP.
Rawlings is not turning pro this summer so they will need to sign someone this summer for sure imo. I believe Karlsson can still be drafted despite being passed over in '10 and '11 but I would be very interested in getting him if he can be drafted, if not then when he wants to turn pro i'd like to see the Habs try and get him. One of Karlsson's teammates in the USHL, Jean-Paul LaFontaine (Pat's son) even though he's small i'd keep an eye out for him, as he playes in the WCHA.

Quote:
If they don't have Henry then perhaps they will look to bring Mitera back, hard to say what the new GM will do whenever we get one.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Rawlings is not turning pro this summer so they will need to sign someone this summer for sure imo. I believe Karlsson can still be drafted despite being passed over in '10 and '11 but I would be very interested in getting him if he can be drafted, if not then when he wants to turn pro i'd like to see the Habs try and get him. One of Karlsson's teammates in the USHL, Jean-Paul LaFontaine (Pat's son) even though he's small i'd keep an eye out for him, as he playes in the WCHA.

If they don't have Henry then perhaps they will look to bring Mitera back, hard to say what the new GM will do whenever we get one.
Thanks for the update on Rawlings,Montreal and I will keep my eyes open for JP LaFontaine any son of Pat's will have the drive to succeed.Montrea I see that Quailer has given up his Asst Captaincy at Northeastern,I suppose that means he will sign with the Habs?

Last edited by S Bah: 04-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Closed Thread