HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice Requested: D-Man: try to bat down a low shot or let it go on net?

Old
07-08-2015, 11:31 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Advice Requested: D-Man: try to bat down a low shot or let it go on net?

Last night an interesting situation happened in beer league. I took a full wrist shot from the point at the center of the net at about 6-8 inches off the ice. The other team's D-Man perfectly batted it out of the air and caught it like I had sauced it to him.

Was this a risky play for him given that he could just as easily redirected the puck and gave the goalie no chance nor was he obviously finding a man to tie up in case he missed and there was a rebound?

The result was a bit stunning but I can't see that being a high percentage play as most guys don't have the skill to tip in pucks out of the air when they are trying to let alone stop them dead?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Maccas

vCash: 833
Obviously would depend a lot on the player but I wouldn't even dream of putting my stick in the way of a shot when playing D.
So many goals at my level are scored from unlucky tips and deflections, in my mind you should make it as easy for a goalie as possible. If you can't get body infront of it then let the goalie see it unimpaired and don't deflect it.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2015, 01:31 PM
OkimLom

Playing defense mostly in roller and sometimes on ice, the situation calls for whether or not I use my stick.

Instances where I try to get my stick on the puck
- When it's on the ice/floor
- If I'm less than a stick-length away
- If the shooter is just outside the crease

Otherwise, I try to get my full body in front of it, and if not able to do that, I'm tying a guy's stick and positioning him where he can't get his stick on the puck. Most of the time, I'm positioning him where he blocks the puck himself(not many guys like that) with his body and keeping his stick out of any rebound areas.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2015, 01:48 PM
wufuhimself

I very rarely try to bat a puck out of the air if it's already headed towards the net. It might throw the goalie off from where he thinks the puck is going.

In general, I keep my stick on the ice/floor, and try to put my body in front of shots as best as I can if I'm out of reach from the shooter.

wufuhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
The problem with trying to block a shot with your stick is that the goalie is already committed to saving the puck/ball as its coming towards him. Any slight deflection and goalie is frozen and won't be able in most cases to adjust to the new trajectory and it will end up in the back of the net.

As a goalie the ones along or near the ice don't bother me as much because i am already in my butterfly position covering the bottom of the net. Most often the deflected puck won't do anything too crazy and the defenseman has a better chance of getting a handle on the puck if they do try to intercept it.

When the puck is in mid air (knees or higher) then who knows where that puck is going to go after hit hits the dman's stick.

In general, As a goalie I will become very frustrated with dmen trying to knockdown pucks that are high. i'm simply waiting to make a save with a difficulty of 0.1/10 only to have an overzealous or inexperienced defenseman swing his stick at the puck in mid flight making the save diffculty an 11/10 and in most cases a goal against.

Like seriously, just stand there let the puck hit me in the chest and pick up the rebound and skate out of the zone.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2015, 10:33 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I only ever try to get a stick on it if it's along the ice or the guy has a wide open net. Otherwise, let the goalie take care of it and clear guys from the crease if I can't get my body in front. I am lucky in that the goalie I play with is very, very good, so as long as he can see the puck, and there are no crazy deflections, he's going to stop it. Swatting it out of mid air is a high risk, low reward play.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Beezeral

Simple rule of thumb most goalies tell their defenseman. Unless you are 100% sure you can stop the puck, let me handle it.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
During my game last Thursday, tied 2-2 in the third: An opposing forward wristed a soft shot from above the left faceoff dot. It was an easy, routine save. But my defenseman tried to deflect it into the corner himself by reaching over and poking his stick at it. Instead of deflecting it to safely he deflected it bar down and in.

That goal ended up being the game-winner.

Like others have said, unless you can stop it with 100% certainty, don't even try.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Hambone15

As a winger, unless it's going to hit my shin pads I let it go.. Couple games ago I bent over a bit and reached out with my stick to try and get it in front of a Dmen's slapshot, it hit the shaft of my stick popped up in the air and fell down on the blade of another opposing player beside the net who just slid it in. Our goalie lost site of it I guess.

Put a nice big crack in my shaft too, first game using the stick.

In my defense though it probably woulda been a goal anyways because we suck

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2015, 03:03 AM
BrummieRed

Thing is tho, as a D man you're going to reflexively react to a shot (or pass), and you're not necessarily going to be able to weigh up your goalie's line of sight or chances of saving it in that split second.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2015, 06:32 AM
biturbo19

Kinda depends on what sort of velocity there is on the shot, no?

If it's a total muffin, why not just knock it down and possess the puck? If it's a shot someone really wires at the net, labelled top shelf and all the rest...then yeah, stay out the way.

If we're talking about getting a stick on puck at the point of attack, that's kind of a different thing really.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2015, 09:18 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Velocity and distance matters, when I'm playing goal I don't mind shots that are blocked by sticks when they are slow enough to be knocked away in a controlled manner or are blocked less than a stick length from the shooter.

But even if you have great hand eye it's not worth the risk to put your stick in front of a shot when you don't know which direction it will bounce (and if you are only 90% sure, then you don't know) and the puck will have already started traveling (and I will have already moved into position to stop it).

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummieRed View Post
Thing is tho, as a D man you're going to reflexively react to a shot (or pass), and you're not necessarily going to be able to weigh up your goalie's line of sight or chances of saving it in that split second.
good defenseman can and do make that split second decision. That's part of the reason they are good defenseman

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Playing defense mostly in roller and sometimes on ice, the situation calls for whether or not I use my stick.

Instances where I try to get my stick on the puck
- When it's on the ice/floor
- If I'm less than a stick-length away
- If the shooter is just outside the crease

Otherwise, I try to get my full body in front of it, and if not able to do that, I'm tying a guy's stick and positioning him where he can't get his stick on the puck. Most of the time, I'm positioning him where he blocks the puck himself(not many guys like that) with his body and keeping his stick out of any rebound areas.
Have to echo these.

It (in my view) comes down to how far you would be from the net when potentially blocking it.

If you're trying to block at the point, probably fine, as if you do touch it, you'll probably slow it down or send it wildly off-course. If you're standing infront of the net blocking a point shot, that's a pretty terrible idea.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2015, 06:47 AM
jazzykat

To clarify location: I was on the blue line and he batted it while in the slot and down a bit lower than the dots.

Personally, I thought it was risky as hell but he looked like an NHLer that time.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote