HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What do you all call a good goal when you're trying to hit the post?

Old
05-30-2017, 06:54 PM
beenhereandthere

vCash: 500
What do you all call a good goal when you're trying to hit the post?

Seems to me that it's either one that hits any metal period, because if you play putting the net down instead, the object of that it to not hit the post at all, so why not the opposite.

Or, is it, if it goes in, even if it hits the pipe, it's not a good goal?

I know there's no official rule on this lol, but just seeing what other players do when there's no or only one goalie and you play full ice. I've played all over North America and it seems the 1st one, any metal is the verdict I've seen the most.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:25 PM
bardown23
Live for hockey

Wherever I've played it's always just been the two posts and the crossbar. However this is completely subjective. Sometimes we'll do pegs, others we'll flip the net up and shoot top corners. Surprisingly I've never done backbar or middle when playing with anyone.

bardown23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Eskimo44

Posts at the rink? It's just off the posts or crossbar but it has to be off the ice. Doesn't matter if it goes in after.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 10:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
I always thought the whole idea was that if you could hear metal, it's a goal. Thus not having to stand around admiring shots when you ought to be playing.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 10:10 PM
Ozz

We just call it "Playing posts", but we usually count the back & middle bars too at our rink because we still stay very intense. At that point, hitting just the crossbar & posts gets really tough I'd rather get shut out by a goalie than be limited to 4 post goals if we're playing posts. I'd much rather do that than play w/the nets down, too.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 11:34 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
We just call it "Playing posts", but we usually count the back & middle bars too at our rink because we still stay very intense. At that point, hitting just the crossbar & posts gets really tough I'd rather get shut out by a goalie than be limited to 4 post goals if we're playing posts. I'd much rather do that than play w/the nets down, too.
Playing with the net down (even though it takes more skill than one would think just to hit the net), isn't exactly the safest thing to do.
I've been at a few drop ins where lately, guys are saying side or front bar only. It's just easier to play, as long as you hear metal, it counts as there's less dispute with that as opposed to, example, it hit the side bar from behind the net.

That being said, the wood that's like a shooter tutor is better than trying to hit the post, but, often rinks don't want to pay the money since they don't last that long.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 07:03 AM
StLHokie

Clapdinger Bardownski or it doesnt count

StLHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 10:27 AM
Devil Dancer

Side posts and crossbar only, no back bar.

But really who cares, it's pickup without a goalie. No one actually keeps score.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote