HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Foot Pain

Old
08-18-2015, 10:53 AM
damack

vCash: 500
Foot Pain

I've recently developed some odd foot pain. 2 months ago I bought new skates, upgraded from Bauer Supreme One.6 that were getting tired to Bauer Supreme Comp with Superfeet yellow insoles. I had the Superfeet in my One.6 skates too. They were super comfortable for until a couple of games ago. In the last 2 games I've developed pain in the base of my big toe. At first it was just the left foot and now it's starting on my right foot. Last night stepping on the ice was almost unbearable for the first few minutes then it either seemed to go away or I just go used to it. I could feel it sitting on the bench between shifts and it took a few minutes before I could put any pressure on them after the game. I can feel it all week in street shoes too, just not as bad. The new skates are much stiffer than the old ones, my skating has improved a lot but the pain is getting to me. It seems odd because I thought any pain would come when the skates were new and not broken in yet but for the first 6 weeks I had no pain at all.

Anyone have any thoughts??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg foot.jpeg‎ (22.2 KB, 4 views)

damack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2015, 03:18 PM
LarryO

This might not be your problem, but I've always had problems with the slight protrusion of the steel rivet right under that spot. I've solved that by having the steel rivet replaced by a copper rivet which lays much flatter.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2015, 11:08 PM
damack

I have a theory (not sure how valid) that the stiffer boot is putting more pressure in that area of my foot when I push off, whereas the old boot would flex a lot more and distribute the stress around. I'm getting a lot more power in my stride now, that's for sure. I'm going to take them down to my skate guy and get them baked again and see if he thinks the area needs to get punched out a bit. I've also ordered some bunga bunion pads to hopefully let the area heal up a bit.

Old
08-20-2015, 07:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Try using thinner socks or no socks. Might be the blood flow to that location.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2015, 03:46 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
This might not be your problem, but I've always had problems with the slight protrusion of the steel rivet right under that spot. I've solved that by having the steel rivet replaced by a copper rivet which lays much flatter.
If the point pressure seems to be coming from under the boot, as indicated on the attachment, this is definitely worth checking out. I would look for any movement at all in that area. Strange to see things go south after 6 weeks of pain free on a new boot.

If from the side I would look for any discontinuities in the way the materials are joined. This is especially common where the toe box meets the side of the boot.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2015, 01:02 PM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
If the point pressure seems to be coming from under the boot, as indicated on the attachment, this is definitely worth checking out. I would look for any movement at all in that area. Strange to see things go south after 6 weeks of pain free on a new boot.

If from the side I would look for any discontinuities in the way the materials are joined. This is especially common where the toe box meets the side of the boot.
After a week the pain was minimal (only skating once a week at present). At first it felt like it was the bottom of my foot but when most of the irritation went away it seemed to be pin pointed to the bottom/side. Basically if I push at a 45 degree angle it hurts. I checked inside my skate boot for something that might cause it, but it was all good. I had my boot punched in the area and it was much better on Monday night. Still a bit of pain after the game and next day but 100x better than last week. We'll see how it goes. If it gets worse again I'll have to figure something out, I'm hoping the area is just irritated and will go away. Ibuprofen seems to help, which points to inflammation.