HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 03:49 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19306606.html

Quote:
TORONTO — Has Toronto Maple Leafs boss Brian Burke had enough of Don Cherry?

An insider told QMI Agency Burke is tired of Cherry criticizing his team — in particular, his coach — and he is contemplating asking for a meeting with CBC brass to complain.

“He is furious at the comment Cherry made about Ron Wilson not applauding for the troops and for other things too,” said an insider. “He is fiercely loyal to his guys.”

On Jan. 14, Cherry mentioned during a broadcast that visiting New York Ranger coach John Tortorella applauded when the troops were introduced at a recent Armed Forced appreciation game at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

He also called a clapping Leafs assistant coach Rob Zettler “a good Canadian boy.”

But he said Wilson and other coaches “couldn’t have cared less.”

The Leafs president responded to an e-mail asking him if there had “been a formal complaint,” but chose to not get into the fray.

“No comment,” Burke said in a return e-mail. “All-star weekend (is) hardly the time or place for a beef like this.”

Old
01-28-2012, 04:32 AM
D3ADLY

that will be some war to watch..

Old
01-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Burke and Wilson will lose this one, if he chooses to battle Cherry he will lose badly and it will turn people against him. The more arrogant Cherry gets, the more people like him, e more arrogant Burke gets the more people dislike him.

I guess Burke has time to lay blame in other places as his team is out of the playoffs, his arrogance on this issue will lead to him being seriously wounded as a GM, best to retreat from this one if he is smart

Old
01-28-2012, 05:40 AM
birddog*

Lot's of stuff upsets Burke. Hopefully one day he'll be as upset not making the playoffs year after year.

Burke has bigger problems sitting in 9th place and that's what he should be worried about. Not the circus that surrounds him.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:46 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
From Burke's countless lectures/seminars throughout southern Ontario to Wilson's drinking and driving ads, the two have been great for the community since they got here. The have been great in getting the Leafs to give back to the community too.

You can judge their body's of work however you want, but off the ice TML has been nothing less of exceptional.

I don't see Burke/Wilson publicly blasting Cherry. Cherry is a low-classed moron; that is all.

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 01-28-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Burke and Wilson will lose this one, if he chooses to battle Cherry he will lose badly and it will turn people against him. The more arrogant Cherry gets, the more people like him, e more arrogant Burke gets the more people dislike him.

I guess Burke has time to lay blame in other places as his team is out of the playoffs, his arrogance on this issue will lead to him being seriously wounded as a GM, best to retreat from this one if he is smart
Not to mention that cherry is totally right on this one. Wilson is a total tool.

Old
01-28-2012, 06:45 AM
GrizzLeaf

Cherry's an arrogant, senile blowhard who's xenophobia knows no bounds.

Having said that, he's entertaining.

Burke's right on this one. Cherry's just doing it because Wilson (and Burke) are not Canadian. But it's not worth the fight. Cherry will not change his colors, and if anything, he's the type to cut off his nose to spite his face. It would just give him more ammunition for his next broadcast.

Besides, I just noticed it's an article from the Sun

Old
01-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

I am with Cherry on this one, sorry Burkie.

Don is right. Is it coincidence the Canadian Coach clapped while the American ones didn't? I am anti-Wilson to begin with, but the Americanization of our Maple Leafs makes my stomache turn.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:08 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Cherry is an idiot. His nationalism is sickening. It's one thing to love your own Canadians,it's different when you start hating on others.

He hates Swedes,Russians,Americans now too apparently.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Cherry is an idiot. His nationalism is sickening. It's one thing to love your own Canadians,it's different when you start hating on others.

He hates Swedes,Russians,Americans now too apparently.
In a country where everybody wants to shove their "background/heritage and roots" down our throats, I am glad that Cherry is here to teeter the totter.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:20 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Cherry is an old school trolling buffoon! Burke should not waste time reacting to his arrogant, i'm better and more Canadian than thou rants.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:31 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

they shouldve clapped ......fire em all

Old
01-28-2012, 07:32 AM
tony135420

This has nothing to do with hockey or getting the Leaf's in the playoffs....hope Burke doesn't waste any time on this idiot. Didn't know we measured the character of a man by how hard he clapped on TV.

And I hope this doesn't turn into a Canadians vs Americans conversation....that would suck.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:32 AM
TMLOBI

Don Cherry is the man.. when he talks people listen! And people take offence which is hilarious to me. Why people care what others think of them is beyond me. People just need to let stuff slide and not take it so personally shsh.

I am not sure why people are hating on Cherry, he is an entertainer that is all. He knows his hockey and he knows how to entertain. It's funny how people try to get back at him by blasting him in the media as it just feeds his ego. If you really didn't like someone (in this case Burke's dislike of Don Cherry) then you'd ignore them. They're just words who cares??

Old
01-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Ben Garrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post

Don is right. Is it coincidence the Canadian Coach clapped while the American ones didn't? I am anti-Wilson to begin with, but the Americanization of our Maple Leafs makes my stomache turn.
It's a shame we can't have a good Canadian boy like John Tortorella as our coach.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Mike Jones

What people hate to admit is that Cherry is right more than he's wrong. I don't agree with some of the things he says but I can say the same thing about family, friends, the few colleagues that still speak to me, etc.

Burke may be biting off more than he can chew by taking on someone like Cherry. I don't know if it's arrogance, truculance, hostility or what but he really has to pick his battles (Like helping his team make the playoffs for once) more carefully.

Go Don!

And keep calling for Mike Zigomanis' promotion!

Old
01-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Dalton

"At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."

Frederick Douglass

Old
01-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Not to mention that cherry is totally right on this one. Wilson is a total tool.
Tell us how you really feel.

Oh no he didn't clap! American scum!!!

Old
01-28-2012, 07:59 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Tell us how you really feel.

Oh no he didn't clap! American scum!!!
Not clapping does not mean he is scum.
It does mean that he is ignorant and socially unaware though.

Old
01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healys wrath View Post
It's a shame we can't have a good Canadian boy like John Tortorella as our coach.
That's cherry's point right there, isn't it? Tortorella, another American coach applauded while Wilson did not.

Old
01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Interactif

With Don Cherry there are times you have to take his comments with a grain of salt, one thing one cannot argue with is he is a proud Canadian that always sticks up for Canada and our troops. In my book that is not such a bad thing.

Old
01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post

Honestly, who cares? As long as they care about winning and win. That's all I care for.

Old
01-28-2012, 08:13 AM
KuleminFan41

All because Wilson didn't clap jeeze. I guess you're a terrible American or Canadian if you don't sing along with the national anthem and have your hand over your heart either? Stupid logic as to why someone is scum. He didn't clap , big ****ing deal. Cherry needs to **** on certain subjects

Old
01-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Honestly, who cares? As long as they care about winning and win. That's all I care for.
This. None of this matters, it's as much of a non-issue as Thomas not going to the White House. Who really cares? (besides Don)

Old
01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Not clapping does not mean he is scum.
It does mean that he is ignorant and socially unaware though.
No, it doesn't. It means he didn't feel the need to clap. That's all. I doubt he was sitting there thinking to himself, "Army? Afghanistan? Huh?" That would be ignorance and social unawareness.

Reminds me of 1984 when everyone had to attend rallies for Big Brother and the Party. Those who didn't scream louder than everyone else were deemed traitors and unloyal. The only difference is that Wilson is being ostracized by an ignorant right-wing xenophobe instead of being whisked away to be re-indoctrinated.

Burke is bang on for getting pissed off. Cherry is a disgrace, and his presence on CBC only undermines their credibility. He's paid to talk about hockey safety, so he should keep his uninformed political opinions to himself.

Closed Thread