HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 09:22 AM
trellaine201

vCash: 500
Cherry has been a moron for years. I turn the channel anytime he's on (end of 1st), it's time Burke cares about overpaying for many players!

Old
01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

burke has every right to be pissed after everything him and schenn have done for our canadian troops. cherry needs to learn how to pick his battles as i'm sure wilson didn't even realize he didn't clap. here's a crazy thought, maybe wilson more focused on coaching the game as opposed to the ceremony?

Old
01-28-2012, 09:24 AM
bbgobie

Cherry is a senile hypocritical moron. If you spread enough crap, some of its bound to stick to the walls. His hate for Burke and Wilson doesn't allow him to see objectively, not like he has ever been more than a comedy sideshow the last 5 years. It's time to let the poor old man out to pasture or up his med dosage big time!

Old
01-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Andrew Mack

The only thing that bothers me at all about this story is that Burke even bothers with any of it. Don Cherry is prejudiced against Americans, nothing the Leafs do short of a Cup will ever get any 'pat-on-the-backs' about it. Even though Cherry's tirades are totally uncalled for, no one cares because its just one of a dozen outrageous things he says every weekend.

It is a tired act in some ways, but all of a sudden after 30 years, Brian Burke being "furious" is just a gongshow.

"Old man acts like old man for 30 years. Everyone has a good laugh at the crazy **** he says. Relevant hockey executive is all of a sudden outraged!" Nothing can touch Don Cherry, Burke should just back down and ignore it. Loyalty looks goofy in this place, I'm sure the troops didn't care that there was a two-second still of Ron not clapping considering the thirty-minute ceremony and daily recognition they get from MLSE and Burke. Pick your battles boss.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:32 AM
ukrleaf

Oh, how dare anyone insult Burke's BFF...

Old
01-28-2012, 09:37 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Lot's of stuff upsets Burke. Hopefully one day he'll be as upset not making the playoffs year after year.

Burke has bigger problems sitting in 9th place and that's what he should be worried about. Not the circus that surrounds him.
Have to agree with this.

Burke really needs to get his priorities in order. He's really in no position to criticize anyone when he's the GM of a 9th place team that has unlimited budget and hasn't seen the playoffs during his 3 year tenure.

You want to make a big deal about the troops? I can respect that, but how about doing your actual job as well?

Old
01-28-2012, 09:42 AM
contour

This should be a non-issue and shouldn't even be published. This story only escalates unnecessary tension. **** the Sun.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:51 AM
firstemperor

Cherry's already won by making Burke respond to such a petty comment like that. This is Toronto, the hockey capital of the world, people are going to criticize your team and management for every little thing you do- good or not. Cry me a river Burke, you should be more agitated about this team not making the playoffs every year since your tenure and settling in mediocrity.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:59 AM
v00d00daddy

So Ron Wilson doesnt clap, and despite the fact that we have no idea if it was an oversight or some kind of conscious disrespect, people are quick to use this event as another reason for their already present hatred of Wilson and/or Burke. Hahahah

What a joke.

Cherry has done and said dozens of things far more offensive than this clapping garbage.

People...if you wanna hate Ron Wilson...fill your boots.

But using don cherry as your moral compass to do so is plain ridiculous.

Cherry knows his stuff and I often agree with him but he's wrong as often (if not more) as he's right.

Take his opinion on the handling of the Kadri situation for example. If Kadri continues to develop positively as he has...all of Cherrys blowharding on the subject will mean little.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
olivertwist*
joey crabb jr

slow day for hockey news

Old
01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
This just in "Brian Burke and Ron Wilson are fuming mad about criticism found on HFBoard and are considering launching a complaint to the moderators". Brian Burke and Ron Wilson want to restrict free speech (even criticism and people's stupid senile rabble) through censorship. Think about it Burke is a control freak that can't spin the "message" about the leafs and players the way he wants. He wants exactly the opposite of what the troops were supposedly fighting for. Deal with it - sometimes life is unfair.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:31 AM
hockeyfanz

Cherry IS alot of what people say he is on this board....outdated, old, bigot and loudmouth and at times simply embarrassing. But one thing he definitely is, is a Canadian patriot . He is absolutely 100% correct here....

Just another example of a classless act by Ron Wilson. The guy is a maggot who is constantly being protected by his fathead buddy GM.

**** you Burke. Stop the "wagging the dog" ********.....

Focus on the TML and the on-ice product and start producing some playoff teams..afterall thats what you get paid for...not for all the other garbage you put the spotlight on to try and deflect attention away from the fact that your team still hasn't made the post-season.

A little note to Ron Wilson.....when in Canada respect Canada you dumb jackass. You make your living from the pockets of Canadians...it doesn't take much to show a little class and respect....Standing at attention for the anthem and clapping for the troops of this country that put their lives on the line for some political war started by your war-mongering country are two simple ways to show your respect.

Classless idiot.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 01-28-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter, please.
Old
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Cherry's an arrogant, senile blowhard who's xenophobia knows no bounds.

Having said that, he's entertaining.

Burke's right on this one. Cherry's just doing it because Wilson (and Burke) are not Canadian. But it's not worth the fight. Cherry will not change his colors, and if anything, he's the type to cut off his nose to spite his face. It would just give him more ammunition for his next broadcast.

Besides, I just noticed it's an article from the Sun

I partly agree. First off good eyes on Cherry to point this out and notice because I didn't notice nor cared. But the facts are, Ron Wilson didn't clap. Maybe he was busy getting the first line ready in his mind but Wilson needs to own his actions and not blame Cherry for noticing something for which Wilson did not do. I'm sure Wilson did not intentionally set out to disrespect the troops, but it may come off in poor taste to those that have lost family in the war. So yes, Cherry took excess glee in pointing Wilson's non-clap but blaming Cherry for pointing out Wilson's "mistake" is not the way to go. Then again, Burke is trivializing this whole thing when we are talking about making people look bad for not clapping while people have lost loved ones in war.

Last edited by number72: 01-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I am with Cherry on this one, sorry Burkie.

Don is right. Is it coincidence the Canadian Coach clapped while the American ones didn't? I am anti-Wilson to begin with, but the Americanization of our Maple Leafs makes my stomache turn.

As for the thread, we all know Cherry is an idiot. Has been an idiot since the 70's and why people actually enjoy his drunken racist rants weekly, shows that we in Canada have very little standards when it comes to broadcasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Cherry IS alot of what people say he is on this board....outdated, old, bigot and loudmouth and at times simply embarrassing. But one thing he definitely is, is a Canadian patriot . He is absolutely 100% correct here....

Just another example of a classless act by Ron Wilson. The guy is a maggot who is constantly being protected by his fathead buddy GM.

FCKU you Burke. Stop the "wagging the dog" bullsh1t.....

Focus on the TML and the on-ice product and start producing some playoff teams..afterall thats what you get paid for...not for all the other garbage you put the spotlight on to try and deflect attention away from the fact that your team still hasn't made the post-season.

A little note to Ron Wilson.....when in Canada respect Canada you dumb jackass. You make your living from the pockets of Canadians...it doesn't take much to show a little class and respect....Standing at attention for the anthem and clapping for the troops of this country that put their lives on the line for some political war started by your war-mongering country are two simple ways to show your respect.

Classless idiot.

Last edited by ULF_55: 01-28-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: OT and Flaming
Old
01-28-2012, 10:43 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Cherry has had it in for Ron Wilson since Wilson was hired simply because Wilson won't kiss Cherry's rear end. Probably a bad political decision for Wilson but you've got to respect the man for not choosing his battles. Too many of these otherwise tough hockey men live in fear of Cherry's influence on the populace.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
stoney

This is Cherry zooming in on a guy he has taken serious issue with, nothing more. For some reason he feels the need to get on Wilson's case, there is obviously something there that's been brewing for years.

I'm no Wilson supporter, but this is unwarranted slander. It's like accusing someone of not caring because they didn't cry at a funeral. Nonsense that Cherry said it and nonsense that Burke wastes time on such a idiotic accusation.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Have to agree with this.

Burke really needs to get his priorities in order. He's really in no position to criticize anyone when he's the GM of a 9th place team that has unlimited budget and hasn't seen the playoffs during his 3 year tenure.

You want to make a big deal about the troops? I can respect that, but how about doing your actual job as well?
So he Leafs don't have a salary cap? Why hasn't anyone told Burke?

I have always liked Cherry. I hink he can be a total tool, and off base on most things, but he is entertaining, just like a racecar accident is entertaining (when no one gets hurt). I also like Burke, and can see why he is upset about this. But I don't think Burke should waste his time on this. I can see why he would be so upset and have no issue with that, but if it is anything more than an email sent to CBC who then make Cherry retract his statement (which has happened pretty often in the oast few years), it seems like a waste of time, more so because of the time of year.

I am glad Burke didn't want to get into it during the ASG weekend.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:57 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Lot's of stuff upsets Burke. Hopefully one day he'll be as upset not making the playoffs year after year.

Burke has bigger problems sitting in 9th place and that's what he should be worried about. Not the circus that surrounds him.
Well said, just put that passion into acquiring some REAL grit and heart please.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Hilarious, some of you are acting like Burke is going to abandon the Leafs and dedicate his life to bringing down Don Cherry. I'd call you a bunch of women if that didn't insult women.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 740
Barn fight is the only solution.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Spot on !! .. If Burke exuded as much energy focussed towards building a better team and making the playoffs, than he does battling the media we would all be better off.

Cherry's comment was an observation and a correct one, as Wilson did not applaud the troops. Had Cherry been in error with his statement then it was deserving of being correct or defended. Burke's real issue is with his coaches actions or in this case inaction and not Don Cherry for pointing it out, as everyone watching the game saw the same thing Cherry did, and viewed it as disrespectful on Wilson's part. In fact nearly every Coaches Corner episode concludes with Cherry honouring our fallen Canadian troops, so its not like he went out of his way searching for ways to criticize Wilson's actions as its really on point as per his regularly weekly discussed topic.

Cherry if anything is deeply loyal and patriotic towards his countries troops and his reputation on that topic is beyond reproach, unlike Wilson's actions in this case. Burke bringing it to the forefront is actually not helping but hurting the situation and a battle he will not win, as the evidence is available to support Cherry's claim.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
PugFugly

I don't know why people keep calling Wilson American when he was born in Windsor.

This whole thing was made over a 2 second clip of Wilson not clapping. Cherry based his entire rant on that 2 second shot. For all we know, he was clapping before the camera panned to him.

It's mind-blowing that people are taking Cherry's side here.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:06 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
This is Cherry zooming in on a guy he has taken serious issue with, nothing more. For some reason he feels the need to get on Wilson's case, there is obviously something there that's been brewing for years.

I'm no Wilson supporter, but this is unwarranted slander. It's like accusing someone of not caring because they didn't cry at a funeral. Nonsense that Cherry said it and nonsense that Burke wastes time on such a idiotic accusation.
Cherry calls it like he see it.

Cherry is a players first coach. He doesn't like coaches when they bully, trash or throw their players under the bus when the team not winning. This part I respect about Cherry. And he will stick up for players even at the expense of embarrassing Wilson. Recall how Wilson trashed Kessel when he was in a slump last year or how Wilson said he managed to get a .500 record with an awful players back on 2008. Well Cherry called him a typical american, pompous.....rabble rabble rabble. His bone is not with Wilson - his bone is how Wilson disrespects other players (and in this case the troop) with his actions.

Also does anyone recall last year when Wilson won the poll for the coach, players would least like to have. Cherry did not take cheap shots at Wilson - he was actually quite supportive, professional and stood up for Wilson even though Wilson is a "dual citizen" and not a true Canadian as people claim on here.

It is not that he doesn't like Wilson - rather Cherry, dislikes Wilson's actions which for Cherry occur as being pompous and disrespectful to the players (and in this case the troops).

Old
01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

I might get banned for this one but whatever.

As a member of the Canadian Military for 22 years now with tours in the Gulf and the Former Yugoslavia, I can honestly say, Ron Wilson not clapping did not bother me at all. Why would it? I don't need someone clapping or thanking me to know I've done my part to serve my country. I know it because I've been there doing the time. Oh, and Cherry and the rest of you morons crapping on Burke and Wilson for being American and not showing respect, well I call BS. I've been down to New York and Fort Lauderdale for fleet week where we wore our uniforms out and about the cities as a show of pride for what we've done. I've had more American's whom I had never met in my life coming up to thank me for all I had done to keep them and Canada safe. Want to know how many Canadians I've had thank me? NONE!

So for all you whiners and criers complaining about how you've somehow been snubbed by the "bad old Americans" Wilson and Burke, hows about you shut the hell up considering most of you have probably done sweet F' all towards keeping this country safe. Pretty damn easy to sit there in your cushy chairs, being patriotic, enjoying all those freedoms you have to criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't share your opinion while there are those of us who actually go out and put our lives on the line to make sure you keep those freedoms.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:08 AM
TheArchitect*

Burke already does a lot for the Canadian military..

That being said Ron Wilson was born in Canada, coaches one of the most storied Canadian teams, and coaches a team named after a Canadian Army regiment. He can show a little respect.

Closed Thread