HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Spot on !! .. If Burke exuded as much energy focussed towards building a better team and making the playoffs, than he does battling the media we would all be better off.

Cherry's comment was an observation and a correct one, as Wilson did not applaud the troops. Had Cherry been in error with his statement then it was deserving of being correct or defended. Burke's real issue is with his coaches actions or in this case inaction and not Don Cherry for pointing it out, as everyone watching the game saw the same thing Cherry did, and viewed it as disrespectful on Wilson's part. In fact nearly every Coaches Corner episode concludes with Cherry honouring our fallen Canadian troops, so its not like he went out of his way searching for ways to criticize Wilson's actions as its really on point as per his regularly weekly discussed topic.

Cherry if anything is deeply loyal and patriotic towards his countries troops and his reputation on that topic is beyond reproach, unlike Wilson's actions in this case. Burke bringing it to the forefront is actually not helping but hurting the situation and a battle he will not win, as the evidence is available to support Cherry's claim.
You're right, Burke should be on the phone 24/7 making deals. Forget eating and sleeping. Just be on the phone. No time for anything else in his day. What a horrible GM.

Cherry is correct that Wilson didn't clap, but who cares? Does every single person have to clap? Is it mandatory? Maybe we should start reporting people who dont clap at home, or those who don't sing the anthem at the game and at home. It is a nothing issue that Cherry turned into something on national TV for no reason other than his hate for Wilson.

I love that Cherry is among the most patriotic Canadians, but that doesn't mean everyone has to be.

Should Wilson have clapped, sure why not. But is it an issue he didn't? No, not unless you have a major biased hate for him.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:12 AM
DPyro

Ron Wilson is Canadian in case anyone forgot. He has dual citizenship.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I might get banned for thijis one but whatever.

As a member of the Canadian Military for 22 years now with tours in the Gulf and the Former Yugoslavia, I can honestly say, Ron Wilson not clapping did not bother me at all. Why would it? I don't need someone clapping or thanking me to know I've done my part to serve my country. I know it because I've been there doing the time. Oh, and Cherry and the rest of you morons crapping on Burke and Wilson for being American and not showing respect, well I call BS. I've been down to New York and Fort Lauderdale for fleet week where we wore our uniforms out and about the cities as a show of pride for what we've done. I've had more American's whom I had never met in my life coming up to thank me for all I had done to keep them and Canada safe. Want to know how many Canadians I've had thank me? NONE!

So for all you whiners and criers complaining about how you've somehow been snubbed by the "bad old Americans" Wilson and Burke, hows about you shut the hell up considering most of you have probably done sweet F' all towards keeping this country safe. Pretty damn easy to sit there in your cushy chairs, being patriotic, enjoying all those freedoms you have to criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't share your opinion while there are those of us who actually go out and put our lives on the line to make sure you keep those freedoms.
I buy the beers for my boys when they come back. I feel Thanks is implied.

Old
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

I'm betting that if this was any of the players or even front office (Nonis, Dudley etc.), Burke would stay shut about it. However, it was about his prized possession Ron Wilson, so he had to respond.

Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
All because Wilson didn't clap jeeze. I guess you're a terrible American or Canadian if you don't sing along with the national anthem and have your hand over your heart either? Stupid logic as to why someone is scum. He didn't clap , big ****ing deal. Cherry needs to **** on certain subjects
Sorry man, disagree, this is how it starts, the day we get apathetic about showing respect to our troops, this will be a sad day. A simple clap of appreciation is a very small gesture for what they do, if Torts could do it, why can't Wilson. Luke is also fiercely patrotic wonder what he thought?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:15 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Cherry calls it like he see it.

Cherry is a players first coach. He doesn't like coaches when they bully, trash or throw their players under the bus when the team not winning. This part I respect about Cherry. And he will stick up for players even at the expense of embarrassing Wilson. Recall how Wilson trashed Kessel when he was in a slump last year or how Wilson said he managed to get a .500 record with an awful players back on 2008. Well Cherry called him a typical american, pompous.....rabble rabble rabble. His bone is not with Wilson - his bone is how Wilson disrespects other players (and in this case the troop) with his actions.
Try to learn a little about who you are defending. Cherry had no trouble tossing players under the bus when he was with Colorado, he would trash certain players to anyone who would listen.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Razorwing

I guess when you have nothing to talk about.. you have to talk about something. lol

Old
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Whatever, more people need to show passion like Cherry does. Forget his political views for a second, theres no human in Canada thats more proud to be a citizen here than he is. He loves his country and takes it very seriously. There need to be more people like him

Old
01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Try to learn a little about who you are defending. Cherry had no trouble tossing players under the bus when he was with Colorado, he would trash certain players to anyone who would listen.
You should know its too much to ask that someone check facts.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:19 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Cherry IS alot of what people say he is on this board....outdated, old, bigot and loudmouth and at times simply embarrassing. But one thing he definitely is, is a Canadian patriot . He is absolutely 100% correct here....

Just another example of a classless act by Ron Wilson. The guy is a maggot who is constantly being protected by his fathead buddy GM.

**** you Burke. Stop the "wagging the dog" ********.....

Focus on the TML and the on-ice product and start producing some playoff teams..afterall thats what you get paid for...not for all the other garbage you put the spotlight on to try and deflect attention away from the fact that your team still hasn't made the post-season.

A little note to Ron Wilson.....when in Canada respect Canada you dumb jackass. You make your living from the pockets of Canadians...it doesn't take much to show a little class and respect....Standing at attention for the anthem and clapping for the troops of this country that put their lives on the line for some political war started by your war-mongering country are two simple ways to show your respect.

Classless idiot.
The Leafs went to CFB Trenton to practice back in October. Wilson was there. Wilson wore a poppy on Remembrance Day. So he DOES respect the military. But yeah, he didn't clap so now he's classless. You honestly think he made a concious effort not to clap? Oh and now your asking him to clap because his country started the war. Give your head a shake.

Oh and you attack Burke for talking about it? He didn't bring it up himself. A reporter asked a question and he answered it by saying he doesn't want to bring it up at the all-star game. Yet you twist that into him caring more about what Cherry says than how the Leafs are doing. You're getting angry over a Sun news story. Clearly you just hate Wilson and will attack him for anything you can get your hands on.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:28 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Sorry man, disagree, this is how it starts, the day we get apathetic about showing respect to our troops, this will be a sad day. A simple clap of appreciation is a very small gesture for what they do, if Torts could do it, why can't Wilson. Luke is also fiercely patrotic wonder what he thought?
Absolutely...what if everyone in the stadium took Ron Wilson's stance? Hmmmmm? What if they had this ceremony for Canadian troops and there was dead silence in the stadium? Would that have been okay? Would our military man who is defending the actions (non-actions) of Wilson be okay with that lack of show of appreciation? Just a silent crowd where you could hear a pindrop. Afterall, we all have the same rights as Ron Wilson to NOT show any appreciation.

Personally, I believe that Canadians choose to join the Army and I am grateful for that. Walking up to a vet and saying thank-you is only one way of expressing gratitude. Applauding is another...buying a military man a beer in a bar is another....and buying a poppy on Remeberance day is another....going to an event honoring fallen troops is another, lining the highway of hereos as another young Canadian is brought back home in a body bag is another.....There is no ONE way to say thank you and one doesn't have to neccessarily support the war in which they fight....I don't. Canada should never have been there as long as they were. (Afghanistan). But I still support the brave men and women who wear a Canadian flag on their sleeves to represent this great land.

Simply put....RW had the absolute right to not applaud. But why wouldn't you? It costs nothing and it shows respect. He may be against the war in which they fight, which I understand.....but the Men and Women who fight for Canada don't pick their battles.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
The Leafs went to CFB Trenton to practice back in October. Wilson was there. Wilson wore a poppy on Remembrance Day. So he DOES respect the military. But yeah, he didn't clap so now he's classless. You honestly think he made a concious effort not to clap? Oh and now your asking him to clap because his country started the war. Give your head a shake.

Oh and you attack Burke for talking about it? He didn't bring it up himself. A reporter asked a question and he answered it by saying he doesn't want to bring it up at the all-star game. Yet you twist that into him caring more about what Cherry says than how the Leafs are doing. You're getting angry over a Sun news story. Clearly you just hate Wilson and will attack him for anything you can get your hands on.
Busted....just like Grapes.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Absolutely...what if everyone in the stadium took Ron Wilson's stance? Hmmmmm? What if they had this ceremony for Canadian troops and there was dead silence in the stadium? Would that have been okay? Would our military man who is defending the actions (non-actions) of Wilson be okay with that lack of show of appreciation? Just a silent crowd where you could hear a pindrop. Afterall, we all have the same rights as Ron Wilson to NOT show any appreciation.

Personally, I believe that Canadians choose to join the Army and I am grateful for that. Walking up to a vet and saying thank-you is only one way of expressing gratitude. Applauding is another...buying a military man a beer in a bar is another....and buying a poppy on Remeberance day is another....going to an event honoring fallen troops is another, lining the highway of hereos as another young Canadian is brought back home in a body bag is another.....There is no ONE way to say thank you and one doesn't have to neccessarily support the war in which they fight....I don't. Canada should never have been there as long as they were. (Afghanistan). But I still support the brave men and women who wear a Canadian flag on their sleeves to represent this great land.

Simply put....RW had the absolute right to not applaud. But why wouldn't you? It costs nothing and it shows respect. He may be against the war in which they fight, which I understand.....but the Men and Women who fight for Canada don't pick their battles.
To me this has very little to do with Wilson, it is a simple matter of respect, appreciation, showing support, patiotism. Doesn't matter how many times you stand for the national anthem, it's the one time you don't that defines who you are. Being Canadian is getting lost, I see it in society. In some cases, Multiculturism is saturating our national identity, when you come to this country you made a choice to be a Canadian first, you don't give up your cultural roots but upon being sworn in to becoming a Canadian, you pledge allegiance to Canada. Wilson being the coach of Canada's highest profile team, has not only have to coach this team, but set an example. He was wrong not to applaud, simple as that. People that want to defend him are probably apathetic as well, there's no excuse not to applaud for the sacrifices of the Canadian Armed forces in allowing us to be true, north, strong and free.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:47 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Busted....just like Grapes.
And as for the rest of my comment? There's even a HFer from the military who said it doesn't bother him. Wilson probably didn't even notice that he didn't clap. As I said before, he went to CFB Trenton with his team and he wore a poppy on remembrance day. but yeah, he didn't clap so he doesn't respect them. ridiculous.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:47 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Whatever, more people need to show passion like Cherry does. Forget his political views for a second, theres no human in Canada thats more proud to be a citizen here than he is. He loves his country and takes it very seriously. There need to be more people like him
His political views drive his outrageous behaviour, so let's not actually forget them. He continues to perpetuate these xenophobic values as though they represent the average Canadian. In reality, Cherry represents a cold-war relic that has been slowly outdating itself for 20 years. Most people can't relate to him, but every week Canadian kids who don't know better are exposed to his vitriol. I get it. He speaks his mind. Doesn't mean we should be paying for it. Ship him over to SunTV, if he wants to spout off his rhetoric.

Loving one's country, and supporting the troops, is not exclusive to senile social conservatives who can't grasp the complexity of the world. One person like him is one too many. I'm sure we can find many proud Canadians who support the troops, but leave the blatant offensive comments off-screen.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Beakermania*

Only Brian Burke would consider calling a meeting with CBC brass to complain about something a broadcaster said about his team.

Its commentary... people are allowed to be critical... thats their job.

My goodness.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
To me this has very little to do with Wilson, it is a simple matter of respect, appreciation, showing support, patiotism. Doesn't matter how many times you stand for the national anthem, it's the one time you don't that defines who you are. Being Canadian is getting lost, I see it in society. In some cases, Multiculturism is saturating our national identity, when you come to this country you made a choice to be a Canadian first, you don't give up your cultural roots but upon being sworn in to becoming a Canadian, you pledge allegiance to Canada. Wilson being the coach of Canada's highest profile team, has not only have to coach this team, but set an example. He was wrong not to applaud, simple as that. People that want to defend him are probably apathetic as well, there's no excuse not to applaud for the sacrifices of the Canadian Armed forces in allowing us to be true, north, strong and free.
A member of the military said he didn't care in this thread. Why should you?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Burke and Wilson will lose this one, if he chooses to battle Cherry he will lose badly and it will turn people against him. The more arrogant Cherry gets, the more people like him, e more arrogant Burke gets the more people dislike him.
Disagree completely. The more Cherry dishes out his idiotic opinions, the more people hate him. The guy is a senile piece of **** and he needs to retire asap.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
kccovey

Its moments like this (and timmy t's no show to the white house) that should make people ashamed of themselves.

I grew up thinking the most amazing thing about Canada was its diversity of thought. The freedom for a person to disagree with a notion or the ability for a person to entertain a thought without accepting is incredible and one we should celebrate more.

Seems many folks here think that a soldier = a hero and that going to the white house is an honor. I am not of that mind set myself. I see those things as destructive. But that does not mean I would berate you for having an opinion different from my own.

Please people, lets keep hockey and politics separate. I adore conversations about both but come to these boards to leave behind political debates.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Interactif

Quote:
A member of the military said he didn't care in this thread. Why should you?
If you have to ask this, you really need to read up on your Canadian history. Start with the Battle of Normandy.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Only Brian Burke would consider calling a meeting with CBC brass to complain about something a broadcaster said about his team.

Its commentary... people are allowed to be critical... thats their job.

My goodness.
Maybe Burke should be like Gauthier and tell the world that it was a mistake to hire his coach and then leave him there to try to do his job.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
And as for the rest of my comment? There's even a HFer from the military who said it doesn't bother him. Wilson probably didn't even notice that he didn't clap. As I said before, he went to CFB Trenton with his team and he wore a poppy on remembrance day. but yeah, he didn't clap so he doesn't respect them. ridiculous.
Yeah..with all due respect to the guy from the military...so what? Thats his opinion. One guys opinion. What if everybody in the ACC that night showed no emotion..nothing. Every fan excercised their right to not applaud. Dead silence for the ceremony. Would that be okay? Buddy, gets ticked that nobody in Canada has shown their appreciation for his choice of a career but he would have been okay with a complete lack of respect or admiration from 19000 Canadians? Sure. How can anybody defend this nonsense. You guys look ridiculous. As ridiculous as the suits that Don Cherry wears on Coaches Corner.

Side note: Would you be okay with a player/coach to refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem which is also your right as a citizen of this country. Hmmmm? In fact my daughter tells me of a class-mate who hails from a different country who does just that at her elementary school. Cool eh?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

greatest feud ever

Old
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Yeah..with all due respect to the guy from the military...so what? Thats his opinion. One guys opinion. What if everybody in the ACC that night showed no emotion..nothing. Every fan excercised their right to not applaud. Dead silence for the ceremony. Would that be okay? Buddy, gets ticked that nobody in Canada has shown their appreciation for his choice of a career but he would have been okay with a complete lack of respect or admiration from 19000 Canadians? Sure. How can anybody defend this nonsense. You guys look ridiculous. As ridiculous as the suits that Don Cherry wears on Coaches Corner.

Side note: Would you be okay with a player/coach to refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem which is also your right as a citizen of this country. Hmmmm? In fact my daughter tells me of a class-mate who hails from a different country who does just that at her elementary school. Cool eh?
Ask him how old he is, I'm not joking, at times I forget there are kids on this site and they don't know any better.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Ruski

I never really liked Wilson and wouldn't be sad if he got canned this year. Having said that, some of the comments on here are just ridiculous!

Wilson not clapping makes him a canadian hater? doesnt like the military? WTF is wrong with some fans on here?

Cherry stirs the pot any chance he gets....knowing that some fans and media will blow things out of proportion and he will get his ratings. If people stop talking about Cherry, he will loose his job.

Do some research on how active the leafs are in the community, in large part due to what Burke and Wilson expect out of their professional players....its just an asinine comment to say that Wilson disrespects our military.

Closed Thread