HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
EazyB97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah..with all due respect to the guy from the military...so what? Thats his opinion. One guys opinion. What if everybody in the ACC that night showed no emotion..nothing. Every fan excercised their right to not applaud. Dead silence for the ceremony. Would that be okay? Buddy, gets ticked that nobody in Canada has shown their appreciation for his choice of a career but he would have been okay with a complete lack of respect or admiration from 19000 Canadians? Sure. How can anybody defend this nonsense. You guys look ridiculous. As ridiculous as the suits that Don Cherry wears on Coaches Corner.

Side note: Would you be okay with a player/coach to refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem which is also your right as a citizen of this country. Hmmmm? In fact my daughter tells me of a class-mate who hails from a different country who does just that at her elementary school. Cool eh?
I know there are many military personnel and veterans in the stands most nights who don't get a standing ovation. They don't seem to mind, but they aren't part of Luke's troops either.

Last edited by EazyB97: 01-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If you have to ask this, you really need to read up on your Canadian history. Start with the Battle of Normandy.
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:

He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Sorry man, disagree, this is how it starts, the day we get apathetic about showing respect to our troops, this will be a sad day. A simple clap of appreciation is a very small gesture for what they do, if Torts could do it, why can't Wilson. Luke is also fiercely patrotic wonder what he thought?
How about this....ALOT of people posting here are saying Burke should worry only about hockey. well...maybe Wilson was thinking about hockey. Just kidding, he coulda clapped.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Ask him how old he is, I'm not joking, at times I forget there are kids on this site and they don't know any better.
Get off your high horse bud. I'm majoring in Canadian History at UofT. I think I know my stuff. and why is it that young people "don't know any better"? That's a ridiculous statement. But I'll leave it to older folk like you to be irrational and attack someone for not clapping without knowing if it was a concious effort and DESPITE being shown videos where he does clap AND examples of when said person DOES support the military.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I might get banned for this one but whatever.

As a member of the Canadian Military for 22 years now with tours in the Gulf and the Former Yugoslavia, I can honestly say, Ron Wilson not clapping did not bother me at all. Why would it? I don't need someone clapping or thanking me to know I've done my part to serve my country. I know it because I've been there doing the time. Oh, and Cherry and the rest of you morons crapping on Burke and Wilson for being American and not showing respect, well I call BS. I've been down to New York and Fort Lauderdale for fleet week where we wore our uniforms out and about the cities as a show of pride for what we've done. I've had more American's whom I had never met in my life coming up to thank me for all I had done to keep them and Canada safe. Want to know how many Canadians I've had thank me? NONE!

So for all you whiners and criers complaining about how you've somehow been snubbed by the "bad old Americans" Wilson and Burke, hows about you shut the hell up considering most of you have probably done sweet F' all towards keeping this country safe. Pretty damn easy to sit there in your cushy chairs, being patriotic, enjoying all those freedoms you have to criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't share your opinion while there are those of us who actually go out and put our lives on the line to make sure you keep those freedoms.
Thank you.

Seems to me that both Don Cherry and the TML have done a good job about supporting Canadian troops in there own ways. Not sure if this types of ceremonies go on in other Canadian cities, but it seems as though TML certainly do their part in recognizing Canadian troops on a regular basis.

Cherry is a bully, plain and simple. He uses his platform to belittle others, be it Europeans, ex players, visor wearers, French Canadians, etc. etc. etc. His schtick is old and dated, and I, for one, look forward to the day he is no longer being paid with my tax dollars.

Not surprised though that a couple of posters would use the ramblings of Don Cherry to further their anti Wilson agenda. Any port in a storm I suppose.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
BrannigansLaw

Burke comes out looking like an even bigger tool than Cherry on this one.

Why even respond to the clown, let alone threaten a formal complaint because you didn't like what someone said about your team?? Be a man and take the criticism even if it is unwarranted and retarded.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I am with Cherry on this one, sorry Burkie.

Don is right. Is it coincidence the Canadian Coach clapped while the American ones didn't? I am anti-Wilson to begin with, but the Americanization of our Maple Leafs makes my stomache turn.
Good thing Ron Wilson was born in Canada

Old
01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
parkdale lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Burke and Wilson will lose this one, if he chooses to battle Cherry he will lose badly and it will turn people against him. The more arrogant Cherry gets, the more people like him, e more arrogant Burke gets the more people dislike him.
No chance.
First off, I'm no fan of Cherry. I haven't watched his segment in years now.
Secondly, I'm no big Wilson fan either.
But if this thing actually turns into a "fight" Cherry is dead meat.
The CBC's bread and butter is Hockey Night in Canada. Without it, they lose money hand over fist. HNIC's top ratings getter is the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs just found some new majority owners in Rogers/Bell. You know them- they own Sportsnet and TSN. It's all about content right?
If Cherry's antics keep up, they could seriously affect negotiations when the broadcast contract rights come up in a couple of years.
Cherry'd best watch his mouth.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Maybe Burke should be like Gauthier and tell the world that it was a mistake to hire his coach and then leave him there to try to do his job.
Where did I say Gauthier is doing a good job? The man has his own faults, of which I am very much aware.

Neither GM is very good at handling the media, but pointing out what other GMs have done wrong doesn't make Burke's actions here any better.

Good job on the assumptions though.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:26 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
I am with Cherry on this one, sorry Burkie.

Don is right. Is it coincidence the Canadian Coach clapped while the American ones didn't? I am anti-Wilson to begin with, but the Americanization of our Maple Leafs makes my stomache turn.
lol Torts is American and what Americanization of the Leafs? can you provide some statistics and facts please?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I have to believe Wilson just zoned out. It is inconceivable someone who knows he is in the spotlight in his country of birth would purposely withhold applause for the individuals who put their life in danger for your way of life (the argument).

Be no different than refusing to clap for firemen because he doesn't like arsonists when the event is to honour firemen.

Do we even know if he never clapped, or just the camera caught him after/before?

You can't dspute facts, but you can dispute the interpretation.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.

Last edited by ULF_55: 01-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Stephen

It makes sense Burke takes this stand, it's important to have a strong management in place that can put the obnoxious media in place, which has become a major problem in Montreal.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkdale lad View Post
No chance.
First off, I'm no fan of Cherry. I haven't watched his segment in years now.
Secondly, I'm no big Wilson fan either.
But if this thing actually turns into a "fight" Cherry is dead meat.
The CBC's bread and butter is Hockey Night in Canada. Without it, they lose money hand over fist. HNIC's top ratings getter is the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Toronto Maple Leafs just found some new majority owners in Rogers/Bell. You know them- they own Sportsnet and TSN. It's all about content right?
If Cherry's antics keep up, they could seriously affect negotiations when the broadcast contract rights come up in a couple of years.
Cherry'd best watch his mouth.
You are not a fan of Cherry so obviously you have a biased opinion on the matter like most do. I don't have a problem with bias, it is what makes an individual.

Conspiracy Flight of Fancy Follows:

But your argument brings to light an angle.

Who owns the Leafs and who would benefit most of the Leafs were not on HNiC?

Burke wants to dictate to the broadcaster what comments can and cannot be said during a Leafs' broadcast? Burke wants to control a tax payers' asset? Burke an American wants Canadian taxpayers to fund his thoughts/opinions? If you don't toe the line of what Burke wants you are removed from the Leafs controlled HNiC broadcast?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Leafmon1

I like Don Cherry and have been watching Coach's corner for a long time. Definitely long enough to realize the guy often talks out of his arse. BFD, like Wilson meant to be disrespectful. Unreal.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:41 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Where did I say Gauthier is doing a good job? The man has his own faults, of which I am very much aware.

Neither GM is very good at handling the media, but pointing out what other GMs have done wrong doesn't make Burke's actions here any better.

Good job on the assumptions though.
Burke is supporting his coach against a guy who uses his pulpit to pursue personal agendas. If that is wrong then what is right? What should he do better?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I don't salute any military troops, Canadian or American. They choose to go fight battles of their own free will. That doesn't entitle them to anything from me, they already get a portion of my tax dollars. Offensive attacks are acts of terrorism and not needed. Quit policing the rest of the world! Now, self defense is a different story.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
This makes me laugh….instead of complaining about cherry and what he says…why don’t he worries about his hockey team and stop deflecting the truth…bottom line is their handling of kadri is pathetic
The truth is under this coach we have been horrible and pathetic ….that’s the truth

Old
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

When Burke turns his back on Cherry, so will most of Leafs nation.

There's no doubting Cherry says a lot of idiotic things, but at times he is insightful. I know when I'm watching on Saturday night I make sure I'm watching Coach's Corner.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I don't salute any military troops, Canadian or American. They choose to go fight battles of their own free will. That doesn't entitle them to anything from me, they already get a portion of my tax dollars. Offensive attacks are acts of terrorism and not needed. Quit policing the rest of the world! Now, self defense is a different story.
really?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Who exactly would provide self defence for the country ... you?

Are you aware soldiers and military people do not decide to go to war, that the elected officials in Canada and American made those decisions?

Perhaps you don't understand the applause is for the individuals who aren't playing video games and get to push the reset button? That they are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and when they die for your elected officials there is nothing after.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
stickyiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:

He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.

/thread

Old
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I have to believe Wilson just zoned out. It is inconceivable someone who knows he is in the spotlight in his country of birth would purposely withhold applause for the individuals who put their life in danger for your way of life (the argument).

Be no different than refusing to clap for firemen because he don't like arsonists when the event is to honour firemen.

Do we even know if he never clapped, or just the camera caught him after/before?

You can't dspute facts, but you can dispute the interpretation.
Burke probably hired investigators to find out whether Wilson did or did not clap based on witness accounts under affidavit...

Seriously, who gives a crap. Cherry shouldn't have but he's an idiot so that explains that, Burke definitely shouldn't have said anything and just ignored the comments, but then again, that ego of his...

Old
01-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Phatic

ok so i skimmed through this, and its nice to see some canadian patriotism.
couple of points though, one: torts is american, wilson is a dual citizen (born in canada)
two: we've all had a moment in our life where we should have been "clapping" but had something on our mind and unfortunately missed the opportunity. Can we please just give the man the benefit of doubt here?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Who exactly would provide self defence for the country ... you?
Did you not see my comment about self defense? I would protect my country within it's own borders, if that time came. Citizens don't need a hired gun to protect their own rights and freedoms.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvo2612 View Post
This makes me laugh….instead of complaining about cherry and what he says…why don’t he worries about his hockey team and stop deflecting the truth…bottom line is their handling of kadri is pathetic
The truth is under this coach we have been horrible and pathetic ….that’s the truth
Making sure his people know that they are supported is part of worrying about his team.

Subtlies like that escape a number of you.

Closed Thread