HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Are all Windsorites not Canadian?

Old
01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Who exactly would provide self defence for the country ... you?

Are you aware soldiers and military people do not decide to go to war, that the elected officials in Canada and American made those decisions?

Perhaps you don't understand the applause is for the individuals who aren't playing video games and get to push the reset button? That they are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and when they die for your elected officials there is nothing after.

Those same people choose of their own free will to join the military. I don't make those choices for them. I don't take responsibility for their deaths and I don't take responsibility for their offensive actions either.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Good thing Ron Wilson was born in Canada
John Tortorella was not.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
anderson3133

Someone needs to start clawing back Cherry's segment. He's getting himself in more and more trouble as the days progress. This year alone he called ex-NHLers "pukes" and almost went to court because of it. I'm surprised he's even around anymore after this little mishap many years ago:

Old
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Did you not see my comment about self defense? I would protect my country within it's own borders, if that time came. Citizens don't need a hired gun to protect their own rights and freedoms.
So what you are saying is that if there is a threat for a homeland attack, we should allow it? So that When they arrive on our borders, you can stand there with your pistol to fight these guys? The reason a lot of these guys are overseas fighting is because of the homeland threat.

Personally, I don't like any of the politics of it but these guys aren't the ones you show your displease to by not showing respect. The soldiers are giving their lives for what they think is there country. I can do nothing but respect that. Go talk to your local politicians if you want to discuss why and when we should be in other countries.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:

He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.
...and scene.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:

He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.
Re-quoted for double effectiveness.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
parkdale lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You are not a fan of Cherry so obviously you have a biased opinion on the matter like most do. I don't have a problem with bias, it is what makes an individual.

Conspiracy Flight of Fancy Follows:

But your argument brings to light an angle.

Who owns the Leafs and who would benefit most of the Leafs were not on HNiC?

Burke wants to dictate to the broadcaster what comments can and cannot be said during a Leafs' broadcast? Burke wants to control a tax payers' asset? Burke an American wants Canadian taxpayers to fund his thoughts/opinions? If you don't toe the line of what Burke wants you are removed from the Leafs controlled HNiC broadcast?

You just blew my mind.
I'm putting my tinfoil hat on pronto!

Old
01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ask him how old he is, I'm not joking, at times I forget there are kids on this site and they don't know any better.
How old I am? 22 years in the forces. That means I'm a hell of a lot older than a kid little boy.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
MrLegend28

you know whats funny, Brian Burke, an AMERICAN, spent time with CANADIAN TROOPS in AFGHANISTAN. How far have YOU guys gone who are criticizing and saying "americanization". Shut the **** up you crybabies.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Baba Ganoush

Burke should worry about getting this team into the playoffs and beyond, not this garbage.

the fact he complained/is complaining in itself is a joke. Burke should not care/focus on this sort of stuff.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
Burke should worry about getting this team into the playoffs and beyond, not this garbage.

the fact he complained/is complaining in itself is a joke. Burke should not care/focus on this sort of stuff.
I'm sure this small ordeal will consume all of his time from now until the end of the season.

He's addressing the issue because it's slanderous in nature and if you look around this thread alone, you can see some people can't formulate their own opinions beyond what Cherry claims. This could be very damaging to Ron Wilson's character if it is not addressed.

Old
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
So what you are saying is that if there is a threat for a homeland attack, we should allow it? So that When they arrive on our borders, you can stand there with your pistol to fight these guys? The reason a lot of these guys are overseas fighting is because of the homeland threat.
You can't be ****ing serious. You really think the people they are fighting in Afghanistan have plans to invade Canada?

Old
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah..with all due respect to the guy from the military...so what? Thats his opinion. One guys opinion. What if everybody in the ACC that night showed no emotion..nothing. Every fan excercised their right to not applaud. Dead silence for the ceremony. Would that be okay? Buddy, gets ticked that nobody in Canada has shown their appreciation for his choice of a career but he would have been okay with a complete lack of respect or admiration from 19000 Canadians? Sure. How can anybody defend this nonsense. You guys look ridiculous. As ridiculous as the suits that Don Cherry wears on Coaches Corner.

Side note: Would you be okay with a player/coach to refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem which is also your right as a citizen of this country. Hmmmm? In fact my daughter tells me of a class-mate who hails from a different country who does just that at her elementary school. Cool eh?
Not as ridiculous as you look getting all bent out of shape because a quick camera pan showed a man not clapping for our forces members.

You want to know what I find offensive? People who fly Canadian flags that are torn and dirty. People that wrap the Canadian flag around themselves and wear it as a cape. People that like to b!tch about others disrespecting our military and then turning around and complaining about how much money the government spends on our military to make sure they have the equipment necessary to do their jobs safely and efficiently.

Seriously buddy, get off your high horse. I am a veteran and I know better than to get offended because for a brief moment during a ceremony somebody wasn't clapping. Wanna bet the same person your crapping all over has done more for the city of Toronto than you ever have?

Old
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
TMLeafer

Why are people expecting Cherry to be objective, especially regarding Wilson? Who's to say the troops didn't have other moments of recognition throughout the game and that Wilson simply didn't clap this time? Talk about nitpicking. Cherry just needs something to bark about. I don't think Burke should carry it further, either.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You can't be ****ing serious. You really think the people they are fighting in Afghanistan have plans to invade Canada?
That's what their government wants them to believe, lol.

I'm more concerned with my own government invading my lands, and taking my freedoms, than some foreign source.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon

I like Don Cherry, but he was obviously looking for controversy there.

Anyone who follows the Leafs knows that management are passionate about and support Canadian troops.

When I heard Cherry say this live, I thought "that 3 second clip is supposed to be evidence that he didn't clap before or after?"

As for those saying Butke should stick to his hockey team, a primary responsibility of his is to maintain the image of the organization. Good on him for speaking out.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Thank you.

Seems to me that both Don Cherry and the TML have done a good job about supporting Canadian troops in there own ways. Not sure if this types of ceremonies go on in other Canadian cities, but it seems as though TML certainly do their part in recognizing Canadian troops on a regular basis.

Cherry is a bully, plain and simple. He uses his platform to belittle others, be it Europeans, ex players, visor wearers, French Canadians, etc. etc. etc. His schtick is old and dated, and I, for one, look forward to the day he is no longer being paid with my tax dollars.

Not surprised though that a couple of posters would use the ramblings of Don Cherry to further their anti Wilson agenda. Any port in a storm I suppose.
Your most welcome. I'm happy to do what I do.

As for Cherry, I applaud his support of Canadians and our troops. What I don't get behind is his belittling of anyone not Canadian (purposely mispronouncing players names) and in some cases his offensive comments. I agree with you. His schtick is very much getting old.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post

It's pretty hilarious how I guy who doesn't give a "rat's ass" about anyones opinion is so very attentive and aware of what is being said about him in the media circles. Very strange indeed and judging by how he responds, it looks like he's a bit sensitive.

I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team. I know it's the all-star break and everything, but last I checked we are on the outside looking in, with 8th place looking to be the best case scenario.

Quote:
“Getting into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked in the first round is not my idea of building a championship team here.”

Old
01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team.
I don't understand. You want him working the phones trying to make trades for 18 hours a day with no breaks to even think about anything else?

Old
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
kccovey

Quote:
I don't salute any military troops, Canadian or American. They choose to go fight battles of their own free will. That doesn't entitle them to anything from me, they already get a portion of my tax dollars. Offensive attacks are acts of terrorism and not needed. Quit policing the rest of the world! Now, self defense is a different story.
Quote:
Did you not see my comment about self defense? I would protect my country within it's own borders, if that time came. Citizens don't need a hired gun to protect their own rights and freedoms.
I'm glad to see that someone here is of the same mindset as I am. With that said, I cannot believe how offended and offensive people can be about ones choice to respect a person.

As a proud member of a global community I see no reason for people to be policing and policy making in other nations or at "home". I think we are above these archaic institutes and need not pay politicians, police, prisons and patriots to do the "bidding" of the people. If we want a better population we need accountability and autonomy, not a governmental parent.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I think this topic is really sideways.

Showing appreciation for the military humans who put their life on the line for conflicts the elected government pursues (the government that was re-elected) is not about supporting the governments's decisions it is about showing support for those who are making that sacrifice.

Your elected officials decide where to use the military.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
topched

Quote:
It's pretty hilarious how I guy who doesn't give a "rat's ass" about anyones opinion is so very attentive and aware of what is being said about him in the media circles. Very strange indeed and judging by how he responds, it looks like he's a bit sensitive.

I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team. I know it's the all-star break and everything, but last I checked we are on the outside looking in, with 8th place looking to be the best case scenario.
One thing to note is that I don't think Brian Burke has ever made a big fuss over something that was said about him.

So I think he is living up to his "I don't give a rat's ass" when it comes to what people say about him and what he does.

Its a different thing for him to be angry about something said about Wilson, or one of his players. He feels the need to defend them as the guy at the top. I get it.

Although I do agree with you, guy should be focused on getting this team into the playoffs rather than what over-the-hill/crackpot Cherry has to say.

Any self respecting hockey exec, or media member will or does realize by now that Cherry's opinions are antiquated. So Burke shouldn't be worried about anyone being "misled" in those circles.

As for the fans, I love Don Cherry, more for what he represents than what comes out of his mouth. He's a tradition on HNIC, and as a kid I loved listening to what he had to say because he was passionate and exciting and a recognizable figure. But if you're an adult, and can stand by some of the stuff he says you should invest in some more education.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
When the Mafia cause public disturbance and degrade societal standards here in Canada (an actual, not imagined threat), should that give us cause to invade Italy?

Think about it.

There is very little empathy regarded in U.S. foreign policy.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
When did this become about what was said about Burke? Started off with what was said about Wilson.

Closed Thread