HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs GM Brian Burke is furious with Don Cherry

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
  #101
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Are all Windsorites not Canadian?

Pyrophorus is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
  #102
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Who exactly would provide self defence for the country ... you?

Are you aware soldiers and military people do not decide to go to war, that the elected officials in Canada and American made those decisions?

Perhaps you don't understand the applause is for the individuals who aren't playing video games and get to push the reset button? That they are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and when they die for your elected officials there is nothing after.


Those same people choose of their own free will to join the military. I don't make those choices for them. I don't take responsibility for their deaths and I don't take responsibility for their offensive actions either.

Paradise is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
  #103
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Good thing Ron Wilson was born in Canada
John Tortorella was not.

Pyrophorus is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
  #104
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Someone needs to start clawing back Cherry's segment. He's getting himself in more and more trouble as the days progress. This year alone he called ex-NHLers "pukes" and almost went to court because of it. I'm surprised he's even around anymore after this little mishap many years ago:


anderson3133 is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
  #105
Kamal007
God Level
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,362
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Did you not see my comment about self defense? I would protect my country within it's own borders, if that time came. Citizens don't need a hired gun to protect their own rights and freedoms.
So what you are saying is that if there is a threat for a homeland attack, we should allow it? So that When they arrive on our borders, you can stand there with your pistol to fight these guys? The reason a lot of these guys are overseas fighting is because of the homeland threat.

Personally, I don't like any of the politics of it but these guys aren't the ones you show your displease to by not showing respect. The soldiers are giving their lives for what they think is there country. I can do nothing but respect that. Go talk to your local politicians if you want to discuss why and when we should be in other countries.

Kamal007 is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
  #106
Andrew Mack
Registered User
 
Andrew Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Region, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:



He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.
...and scene.

Andrew Mack is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
  #107
Andrew Mack
Registered User
 
Andrew Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Region, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You're acting like the Maple Leafs don't do anything for the military. What about Luke's troops? What about going to visit CFB Trenton each year to practice? What about Remembrance day? Wilson participates in each of those.

In fact here's video footage of Wilson clapping:



He claps throughout that video for each vet. So clearly he didn't make a concious effort to not clap on Jan. 14th.
Re-quoted for double effectiveness.

Andrew Mack is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
  #108
parkdale lad
Registered User
 
parkdale lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You are not a fan of Cherry so obviously you have a biased opinion on the matter like most do. I don't have a problem with bias, it is what makes an individual.


Conspiracy Flight of Fancy Follows:

But your argument brings to light an angle.

Who owns the Leafs and who would benefit most of the Leafs were not on HNiC?

Burke wants to dictate to the broadcaster what comments can and cannot be said during a Leafs' broadcast? Burke wants to control a tax payers' asset? Burke an American wants Canadian taxpayers to fund his thoughts/opinions? If you don't toe the line of what Burke wants you are removed from the Leafs controlled HNiC broadcast?

You just blew my mind.
I'm putting my tinfoil hat on pronto!

parkdale lad is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
  #109
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ask him how old he is, I'm not joking, at times I forget there are kids on this site and they don't know any better.
How old I am? 22 years in the forces. That means I'm a hell of a lot older than a kid little boy.

MajorityRules is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
  #110
MrLegend28
Registered User
 
MrLegend28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
you know whats funny, Brian Burke, an AMERICAN, spent time with CANADIAN TROOPS in AFGHANISTAN. How far have YOU guys gone who are criticizing and saying "americanization". Shut the **** up you crybabies.

MrLegend28 is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
  #111
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Burke should worry about getting this team into the playoffs and beyond, not this garbage.

the fact he complained/is complaining in itself is a joke. Burke should not care/focus on this sort of stuff.

Baba Ganoush is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  #112
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
Burke should worry about getting this team into the playoffs and beyond, not this garbage.

the fact he complained/is complaining in itself is a joke. Burke should not care/focus on this sort of stuff.
I'm sure this small ordeal will consume all of his time from now until the end of the season.

He's addressing the issue because it's slanderous in nature and if you look around this thread alone, you can see some people can't formulate their own opinions beyond what Cherry claims. This could be very damaging to Ron Wilson's character if it is not addressed.

anderson3133 is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  #113
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
So what you are saying is that if there is a threat for a homeland attack, we should allow it? So that When they arrive on our borders, you can stand there with your pistol to fight these guys? The reason a lot of these guys are overseas fighting is because of the homeland threat.
You can't be ****ing serious. You really think the people they are fighting in Afghanistan have plans to invade Canada?

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  #114
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah..with all due respect to the guy from the military...so what? Thats his opinion. One guys opinion. What if everybody in the ACC that night showed no emotion..nothing. Every fan excercised their right to not applaud. Dead silence for the ceremony. Would that be okay? Buddy, gets ticked that nobody in Canada has shown their appreciation for his choice of a career but he would have been okay with a complete lack of respect or admiration from 19000 Canadians? Sure. How can anybody defend this nonsense. You guys look ridiculous. As ridiculous as the suits that Don Cherry wears on Coaches Corner.

Side note: Would you be okay with a player/coach to refuse to stand for the Canadian anthem which is also your right as a citizen of this country. Hmmmm? In fact my daughter tells me of a class-mate who hails from a different country who does just that at her elementary school. Cool eh?
Not as ridiculous as you look getting all bent out of shape because a quick camera pan showed a man not clapping for our forces members.

You want to know what I find offensive? People who fly Canadian flags that are torn and dirty. People that wrap the Canadian flag around themselves and wear it as a cape. People that like to b!tch about others disrespecting our military and then turning around and complaining about how much money the government spends on our military to make sure they have the equipment necessary to do their jobs safely and efficiently.


Seriously buddy, get off your high horse. I am a veteran and I know better than to get offended because for a brief moment during a ceremony somebody wasn't clapping. Wanna bet the same person your crapping all over has done more for the city of Toronto than you ever have?

MajorityRules is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  #115
TMLeafer
Moderator
______________
 
TMLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hockey Mecca, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,668
vCash: 500
Why are people expecting Cherry to be objective, especially regarding Wilson? Who's to say the troops didn't have other moments of recognition throughout the game and that Wilson simply didn't clap this time? Talk about nitpicking. Cherry just needs something to bark about. I don't think Burke should carry it further, either.

TMLeafer is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
  #116
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You can't be ****ing serious. You really think the people they are fighting in Afghanistan have plans to invade Canada?
That's what their government wants them to believe, lol.

I'm more concerned with my own government invading my lands, and taking my freedoms, than some foreign source.

Paradise is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
  #117
darkside flow
nickeleye cool lemon
 
darkside flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
I like Don Cherry, but he was obviously looking for controversy there.

Anyone who follows the Leafs knows that management are passionate about and support Canadian troops.

When I heard Cherry say this live, I thought "that 3 second clip is supposed to be evidence that he didn't clap before or after?"

As for those saying Butke should stick to his hockey team, a primary responsibility of his is to maintain the image of the organization. Good on him for speaking out.

darkside flow is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
  #118
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Thank you.

Seems to me that both Don Cherry and the TML have done a good job about supporting Canadian troops in there own ways. Not sure if this types of ceremonies go on in other Canadian cities, but it seems as though TML certainly do their part in recognizing Canadian troops on a regular basis.

Cherry is a bully, plain and simple. He uses his platform to belittle others, be it Europeans, ex players, visor wearers, French Canadians, etc. etc. etc. His schtick is old and dated, and I, for one, look forward to the day he is no longer being paid with my tax dollars.

Not surprised though that a couple of posters would use the ramblings of Don Cherry to further their anti Wilson agenda. Any port in a storm I suppose.
Your most welcome. I'm happy to do what I do.

As for Cherry, I applaud his support of Canadians and our troops. What I don't get behind is his belittling of anyone not Canadian (purposely mispronouncing players names) and in some cases his offensive comments. I agree with you. His schtick is very much getting old.

MajorityRules is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
  #119
PresidentCamacho*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
Burke should worry about getting this team into the playoffs and beyond, not this garbage.

the fact he complained/is complaining in itself is a joke. Burke should not care/focus on this sort of stuff.
It's pretty hilarious how I guy who doesn't give a "rat's ass" about anyones opinion is so very attentive and aware of what is being said about him in the media circles. Very strange indeed and judging by how he responds, it looks like he's a bit sensitive.

I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team. I know it's the all-star break and everything, but last I checked we are on the outside looking in, with 8th place looking to be the best case scenario.

Quote:
“Getting into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked in the first round is not my idea of building a championship team here.”

PresidentCamacho* is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
  #120
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team.
I don't understand. You want him working the phones trying to make trades for 18 hours a day with no breaks to even think about anything else?

Joey Hoser is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
  #121
kccovey
Registered User
 
kccovey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I don't salute any military troops, Canadian or American. They choose to go fight battles of their own free will. That doesn't entitle them to anything from me, they already get a portion of my tax dollars. Offensive attacks are acts of terrorism and not needed. Quit policing the rest of the world! Now, self defense is a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Did you not see my comment about self defense? I would protect my country within it's own borders, if that time came. Citizens don't need a hired gun to protect their own rights and freedoms.
I'm glad to see that someone here is of the same mindset as I am. With that said, I cannot believe how offended and offensive people can be about ones choice to respect a person.

As a proud member of a global community I see no reason for people to be policing and policy making in other nations or at "home". I think we are above these archaic institutes and need not pay politicians, police, prisons and patriots to do the "bidding" of the people. If we want a better population we need accountability and autonomy, not a governmental parent.

kccovey is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
  #122
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You can't be ****ing serious. You really think the people they are fighting in Afghanistan have plans to invade Canada?
I think this topic is really sideways.

Showing appreciation for the military humans who put their life on the line for conflicts the elected government pursues (the government that was re-elected) is not about supporting the governments's decisions it is about showing support for those who are making that sacrifice.

Your elected officials decide where to use the military.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
  #123
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
It's pretty hilarious how I guy who doesn't give a "rat's ass" about anyones opinion is so very attentive and aware of what is being said about him in the media circles. Very strange indeed and judging by how he responds, it looks like he's a bit sensitive.

I, too, would ignore non-slanderous and/or insignficant statements such as Cherry's, who you will never win a battle with, and rather focus all efforts on trying to build a championship team. I know it's the all-star break and everything, but last I checked we are on the outside looking in, with 8th place looking to be the best case scenario.
One thing to note is that I don't think Brian Burke has ever made a big fuss over something that was said about him.

So I think he is living up to his "I don't give a rat's ass" when it comes to what people say about him and what he does.

Its a different thing for him to be angry about something said about Wilson, or one of his players. He feels the need to defend them as the guy at the top. I get it.

Although I do agree with you, guy should be focused on getting this team into the playoffs rather than what over-the-hill/crackpot Cherry has to say.

Any self respecting hockey exec, or media member will or does realize by now that Cherry's opinions are antiquated. So Burke shouldn't be worried about anyone being "misled" in those circles.

As for the fans, I love Don Cherry, more for what he represents than what comes out of his mouth. He's a tradition on HNIC, and as a kid I loved listening to what he had to say because he was passionate and exciting and a recognizable figure. But if you're an adult, and can stand by some of the stuff he says you should invest in some more education.

topched is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
  #124
PresidentCamacho*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
So what you are saying is that if there is a threat for a homeland attack, we should allow it? So that When they arrive on our borders, you can stand there with your pistol to fight these guys? The reason a lot of these guys are overseas fighting is because of the homeland threat.
When the Mafia cause public disturbance and degrade societal standards here in Canada (an actual, not imagined threat), should that give us cause to invade Italy?

Think about it.

There is very little empathy regarded in U.S. foreign policy.

PresidentCamacho* is offline  
Old
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
  #125
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
It's pretty hilarious how I guy who doesn't give a "rat's ass" about anyones opinion is so very attentive and aware of what is being said about him in the media circles. Very strange indeed and judging by how he responds, it looks like he's a bit sensitive.
When did this become about what was said about Burke? Started off with what was said about Wilson.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.