HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
  #51
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,832
vCash: 500
I draw some parallels with markov's situation to crosby's. Both situations are concerning and you fear that the next one would be the last one. Obviously, crosby is dealing with a more serious issue, but both players could be one injury away from having to make a very tough decision.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:46 PM
  #52
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I draw some parallels with markov's situation to crosby's. Both situations are concerning and you fear that the next one would be the last one. Obviously, crosby is dealing with a more serious issue, but both players could be one injury away from having to make a very tough decision.
Crosby's situation is more serious because his injury might have way more impact on his overall quality of life for years to come.

But Markov's is pretty much done as a hockey player or athletes, only. He can go on with his life.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #53
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Crosby's situation is more serious because his injury might have way more impact on his overall quality of life for years to come.

But Markov's is pretty much done as a hockey player or athletes, only. He can go on with his life.
yeah, that's pretty much what I meant in terms of the severity of injuries.

As bleak as markov's case looks now as it pertains to his hockey career, I'm still willing to see him play a chunk of games before I start jumping to judgments. I still hold out hope that he can be a useful player to this club.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:16 PM
  #54
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I do not foresee Markov back this season. If he does return I do not see him lasting very long before he goes down with yet another knee injury.
What you and I might foresee is irrelevant. We can channel a Ouija board and be just as accurate. Markov's knee could be 100%; it could be done; it could have a flame-thrower and BOSE sound system installed in the kneecap. We're told nothing. All we have is our fuzzy little feelings, the injury story from our own flabby body and the second-hand anecdotes we hear from friends, none of which has any relation to the recovery of a professional athlete with access to resources way beyond regular shmucks like us. Other players have had recurring operations and come back 100%, others haven't. Markov's progress is currently known only to him and the organization, who have made the very conscious decision to tell its fan base absolutely nothing.

So the cynical fans guess he's done and the optimistic fans guess he'll be back. Gauthier gives us nothing, so we make stuff up to fill in the massive blanks. I don't expect daily updates, but a status report every other week should be the bare minimum for an organization whose currency is its star athletes.

In my experience, the bigger the blanket of secrecy, the bigger the screw-up it's meant to cover. That's my guess.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:48 PM
  #55
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Maybe because he's absolutely awful, is never able to make a move to create space for him, shoots on guy's shins all the time, handles the puck like a bomb, is a terrible passer, is not able to keep the play in the zone and last but not least sucks when he's pressured leading to 2 on 1's the other way?
Some people really need to learn a little about the game before commenting. Weber is young, has good offensive flair and could easily become a Streit 2.0 given the time. You don't dump guys like him, you give him ice time and help him improve.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
  #56
Toastman
Registered User
 
Toastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Some people really need to learn a little about the game before commenting. Weber is young, has good offensive flair and could easily become a Streit 2.0 given the time. You don't dump guys like him, you give him ice time and help him improve.
I agree with you. I dont like giving up on young players. But in reality weber has been bruuuutal this season.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
  #57
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Some people really need to learn a little about the game before commenting. Weber is young, has good offensive flair and could easily become a Streit 2.0 given the time. You don't dump guys like him, you give him ice time and help him improve.
Agreed. Streit was pretty horrible his first season as a Canadien, for example. In fact, Streit had actually come over to North America previously in 1999 and had a fairly weak season playing in the AHL, IHL and ECHL, although perhaps the style of play was far less suited to his skills pre-lockout.

Now obviously Weber has been playing North American hockey for a while since juniors, but it doesn't take away from the main point that he still needs time to adjust to the NHL level. Most players do. And he's actually produced on the powerplay, although he is quite clearly a work in progress.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
  #58
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Rather than a low draft pick or some other teams garbage prospect, Id rather hang on to Weber as a 7th D-man and just see how he comes along and re-assess after next year.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
  #59
habscup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Some people really need to learn a little about the game before commenting. Weber is young, has good offensive flair and could easily become a Streit 2.0 given the time. You don't dump guys like him, you give him ice time and help him improve.
You're the one who needs to learn about the game. Weber is soft, weak, has no vision or puck handling, is terrible at keeping the puck in the zone. He is definately not better then Subban. Not even close.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
  #60
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
You're the one who needs to learn about the game. Weber is soft, weak, has no vision or puck handling, is terrible at keeping the puck in the zone. He is definately not better then Subban. Not even close.
... Your just overreacting my friend.

Weber is the best on defense to put the puck on the nets and does'nt miss from 100 feets.
Sure he's soft, sure he's not the strongest. But to say that he has no vision and no puck handling ? Come on ...

He has no confidence and that's the bigger problem.
Can i recall you that Weber in the first 10-20 games of the season (on-off) was our best PP man ?


Just imagine Raphael Diaz or Emelin at Weber's age being treated like he his.
Now i agree that he's awful right now, but if JM did'nt break him like that, he would'nt be all that bad.

He has still alot of years to go to become who he's supposed to be.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:03 AM
  #61
lxzred
Registered User
 
lxzred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
... Your just overreacting my friend.

Weber is the best on defense to put the puck on the nets and does'nt miss from 100 feets.
Sure he's soft, sure he's not the strongest. But to say that he has no vision and no puck handling ? Come on ...

He has no confidence and that's the bigger problem.
Can i recall you that Weber in the first 10-20 games of the season (on-off) was our best PP man ?


Just imagine Raphael Diaz or Emelin at Weber's age being treated like he his.
Now i agree that he's awful right now, but if JM did'nt break him like that, he would'nt be all that bad.

He has still alot of years to go to become who he's supposed to be.
Heck it took Chris Higgins 2-3 years and several teams to recover from Carbo, I never understood why though. Chris being a strong 2-way player.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
  #62
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Heck it took Chris Higgins 2-3 years and several teams to recover from Carbo, I never understood why though. Chris being a strong 2-way player.


I nthink it took him 2-3 years to recover from Montreal nitgh life....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
  #63
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Saw the words "damaged goods". Are we talking about Markov or your boy Scott Gomez?
As you pointed out, he said "Damaged Goods", not "Straight up sucks" (Though, Gomez has been a tad better than before.)

I don't think Markov will even play this year...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  #64
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
Weber could become a good player but I don't see great things in him, I'm also sceptical that he can secure his place in the lineup long term with so many young players that project to be better than him.

I expect this to be our defense within 2 and 4 years -

Tinordi (LD)-Subban (RD)
Beaulieu (LD)-Gorges (LH RD)
random left handed veteran D-Diaz (RD)

Were does Weber fit? Its between him and Diaz but Diaz is older, better and more complete so I think he's the keeper. Long term I don't see Gorges as a LD.

Anyways this is why I'd look to trade him eventually. Perhaps not now because he can't have a great value but he's fairly redundant.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
  #65
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Weber could become a good player but I don't see great things in him, I'm also sceptical that he can secure his place in the lineup long term with so many young players that project to be better than him.

I expect this to be our defense within 2 and 4 years -

Tinordi (LD)-Subban (RD)
Beaulieu (LD)-Gorges (LH RD)
random left handed veteran D-Diaz (RD)

Were does Weber fit? Its between him and Diaz but Diaz is older, better and more complete so I think he's the keeper. Long term I don't see Gorges as a LD.

Anyways this is why I'd look to trade him eventually. Perhaps not now because he can't have a great value but he's fairly redundant.
So, Emelin is gone ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
  #66
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,563
vCash: 567
Back on Markov,

Markov will start skating after the break and not playing***

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
  #67
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So, Emelin is gone ?
Traded for a first

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:10 PM
  #68
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Heck it took Chris Higgins 2-3 years and several teams to recover from Carbo, I never understood why though. Chris being a strong 2-way player.
I didn't realise Carbo used the Montreal nightlife as a ploy for getting more out of his players?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
  #69
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So, Emelin is gone ?
Ack I knew I forgot someone! Do replace ''random veteran D'' with him. Its pretty embarassing since I really like Emelin.

He's one more reason I see Gorges going back as a RD since we are going to have a logjam of defensemen playing left side. Thats also why Weber is pushed down do the depth chart further.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
  #70
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Ack I knew I forgot someone! Do replace ''random veteran D'' with him. Its pretty embarassing since I really like Emelin.

He's one more reason I see Gorges going back as a RD since we are going to have a logjam of defensemen playing left side. Thats also why Weber is pushed down do the depth chart further.
I kinda like the idea of us being set regarding Defensemen. But I do hope they all develop well. That was a "if all goes well" scenario.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM
  #71
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Back on Markov,

Markov will start skating after the break and not playing***
Surprise surprise. Did anyone actually believe a word out of Pinocchio Gauthier's mouth? When he said Markov would return after the All-Star break I think he was talking about the 2013 All-Star Break. Unfortunately reporters failed to ask him to specify the yr of his return.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:34 PM
  #72
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,260
vCash: 500
doesn't that mean that if the skating goes well, he could be in contact practices in 2-3 weeks, then day to day? Of course that's being optimistic, which this situation does not warrant at this point, but it's possible. If his knee is finally 100%, if won't take long to go from skating to the other steps. With a groin injury, this is a more protracted return process. Again, I'm assuming the unveiling of the bionic knee.

Of all the people not to have twitter...need those updates Marky!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:05 PM
  #73
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
What you and I might foresee is irrelevant. We can channel a Ouija board and be just as accurate. Markov's knee could be 100%; it could be done; it could have a flame-thrower and BOSE sound system installed in the kneecap. We're told nothing. All we have is our fuzzy little feelings, the injury story from our own flabby body and the second-hand anecdotes we hear from friends, none of which has any relation to the recovery of a professional athlete with access to resources way beyond regular shmucks like us. Other players have had recurring operations and come back 100%, others haven't. Markov's progress is currently known only to him and the organization, who have made the very conscious decision to tell its fan base absolutely nothing.

So the cynical fans guess he's done and the optimistic fans guess he'll be back. Gauthier gives us nothing, so we make stuff up to fill in the massive blanks. I don't expect daily updates, but a status report every other week should be the bare minimum for an organization whose currency is its star athletes.

In my experience, the bigger the blanket of secrecy, the bigger the screw-up it's meant to cover. That's my guess.
I have access to top notch and best in Canada and propbably north america facilities here in London at the Fowler Kennedy clinic. Ask Hackett and Stevie Y and the big E etc how well they were fixed lol. I just don't see much hope in anticipating a return of any great length. PG and the org are not helping by not saying anything at all which just means to me that they know it is bad news and aren't willing to own up to a terrible signing.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
  #74
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,563
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Surprise surprise. Did anyone actually believe a word out of Pinocchio Gauthier's mouth? When he said Markov would return after the All-Star break I think he was talking about the 2013 All-Star Break. Unfortunately reporters failed to ask him to specify the yr of his return.
it's not a surprise because Gauthier said he would be back on the ice after the break not that he will play

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
  #75
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
it's not a surprise because Gauthier said he would be back on the ice after the break not that he will play
But didn't some random guy on the radio in Montreal say he'd be back before the all star break?

I always find it hilarious when somebody tells me they heard Markov was supposed to be back when that was never said by the org. I remember one time JM even had to re-confirm in the same day that Markov would not be back

The media was trying to say they heard he was even though they clearly stated he wouldn't be. Then folks got mad when he wasn't in fact coming back

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.