HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
  #176
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
If all goes well he could probably be in the lineup at the end of Feburary/ early March. If there's more swelling/ another setback then who the hell knows anymore. If that happens I doubt any doctor could predict if he'll ever come back.

But we need to get him in as many games as possible. In the past 21 months he's played 7 hockey games. If we miss the playoffs I hope he plays for Russia at the WC's. Need to know if his knee will hold up before we embark on the summer. If he can still play at a high level then great. If he re-injures the ACL he'll likely just retire and we can at least know he's done and can use the off-season + cap space to get better, and not just pencil him in our lineup and cross our fingers like we did last summer.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
  #177
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Crosby - yes- MArkov. NO--- and Crosby would use the offer to get what he wanted from another team- now would Markov had been able to do that ?
You are a hypocrite then because Crosby's career is even more compromised than Markov's was. Not only does he have multiple concussions but now he has a neck problem.

At the end of the day you can't let a player of Markov's calibre walk for free.

If the Habs have a fault in this it's their medical team's handling of the whole thing. Why was a surgery needed in December and why could it not have been done in June or July?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
  #178
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You are a hypocrite then because Crosby's career is even more compromised than Markov's was. Not only does he have multiple concussions but now he has a neck problem.

At the end of the day you can't let a player of Markov's calibre walk for free.

If the Habs have a fault in this it's their medical team's handling of the whole thing. Why was a surgery needed in December and why could it not have been done in June or July?
lets make a friendly bet- -i say Crosby plays more NHL games from now till the end of next season than Markov will---
what has happened is exactly what i thought was goign to happen
posted that last season and even before

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
  #179
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Apparently he skated for about 15 minutes today.



https://twitter.com/#!/JessRusnak/st...84576356102145
Confirmed: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS1


Edit:

Quotes/quick translation:

"... it is a step in the right direction... he was doing a lot of exercises in the gym but he finally reached the point where he needs, and can, lace them up... he still has a long way to go..."- Randy Cunneyworth


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-31-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
  #180
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You are a hypocrite then because Crosby's career is even more compromised than Markov's was. Not only does he have multiple concussions but now he has a neck problem.

At the end of the day you can't let a player of Markov's calibre walk for free.

If the Habs have a fault in this it's their medical team's handling of the whole thing. Why was a surgery needed in December and why could it not have been done in June or July?
Agreed aout the medical team but my point was still if he was scared of giving a long term contract to Gorges cause of last seasons injury how could he have not been scared of doing the same to Markov. That's not the medical staffs fault that's his. Anyways let's hope it all turns out for the best and Markov comes back but right now I wouldn't bet a penny on it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
  #181
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed aout the medical team but my point was still if he was scared of giving a long term contract to Gorges cause of last seasons injury how could he have not been scared of doing the same to Markov. That's not the medical staffs fault that's his. Anyways let's hope it all turns out for the best and Markov comes back but right now I wouldn't bet a penny on it
Who says he wasn't 'scared'? You're using the eventual outcome as a way to project what you assume Gauthier to have been 'feeling'.

Markov was (is?) elite and has been a hab for life. He was also a UFA whereas Gorges was RFA. If you don't give Markov that offer, he's gone. Gorges, even if you see it as Gauthier ****ing up by not giving him a longer term when he could have, still ended up signing for a, imo, great term and amount of $. Just look at Gleason's new contract.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
  #182
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed aout the medical team but my point was still if he was scared of giving a long term contract to Gorges cause of last seasons injury how could he have not been scared of doing the same to Markov. That's not the medical staffs fault that's his. Anyways let's hope it all turns out for the best and Markov comes back but right now I wouldn't bet a penny on it
he veryu well might come back - BUT for how long and what kind of player will he be now- a 6 million dollar type? i would say NO

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
  #183
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
LOL- i know- its the same when Gainey was at the Helm-- In Gainey We Trust!! Yikes- i wouldnt leyt either run a hotdog stand never mind an NHL franchise !!
I know. They are the same that thought toughness and size was not an issue either. There will always be people who will always defend the status quo. You can call them schills..company men, whatever. We have a lot of them in our fanbase.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
  #184
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Who says he wasn't 'scared'? You're using the eventual outcome as a way to project what you assume Gauthier to have been 'feeling'.

Markov was (is?) elite and has been a hab for life. He was also a UFA whereas Gorges was RFA. If you don't give Markov that offer, he's gone. Gorges, even if you see it as Gauthier ****ing up by not giving him a longer term when he could have, still ended up signing for a, imo, great term and amount of $. Just look at Gleason's new contract.

and really would markov being gone had been the worst thing in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I know. They are the same that thought toughness and size was not an issue either. There will always be people who will always defend the status quo. You can call them schills..company men, whatever. We have a lot of them in our fanbase.
oh ya i know- they are fans and tahts good- i used to be more like taht- but after being ab fan for 40 plus years and seeing all types of things and watching hockey in general- you are still a fan but one that thinks with his brain more and not with the heart


Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-31-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: merge
larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
  #185
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We got a rental for about 1/5 what they paid for Neal.

When we trade for a non-rental people complain because that player has a cap hit beyond this year and will force us to completely dismantle the team...
And if that rental was signed, it would still be a good deal. a 27 year old 50 pt PP QB for a 2nd and a 5th.

My point was, Pittsburgh didn't just sign a rental and tried to hold the fort with spare parts until Crosby came back. They made moves to strengthen the team at that point and into the future.

Montreal organization is reactive. Their moves show 0 forethought. 0 vision. Bandaid after bandaid. And people defend it. LOL

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM
  #186
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
oh ya i know- they are fans and tahts good- i used to be more like taht- but after being ab fan for 40 plus years and seeing all types of things and watching hockey in general- you are still a fan but one that thinks with his brain more and not with the heart
Well yea, it's good to support the team no matter what. I support the team and will continue to support them till my last breath. But, there are certain moves I simply can't defend.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
  #187
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Who says he wasn't 'scared'? You're using the eventual outcome as a way to project what you assume Gauthier to have been 'feeling'.

Markov was (is?) elite and has been a hab for life. He was also a UFA whereas Gorges was RFA. If you don't give Markov that offer, he's gone. Gorges, even if you see it as Gauthier ****ing up by not giving him a longer term when he could have, still ended up signing for a, imo, great term and amount of $. Just look at Gleason's new contract.
Just because Markov was elite and a Habs since day 1 you can go out there and give the guy whatever he wants.

Also I'm not saying Gauthier ****ed up about Gorges contract, it's about what he said regarding both players and their injuries. Markov or not, it's 3 years the guy hasn't played a complete season you make the best move for the hockey team not one just to please a guy

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
  #188
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Crosby - yes- MArkov. NO--- and Crosby would use the offer to get what he wanted from another team- now would Markov had been able to do that ?
lolwut?
So you'd sign Crosby for playing 8 games in 2 and half seasons?
(Assuming missing next season )

but not Markov for playing 15 games in 2 and half seasons?


Last edited by llamateizer: 01-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.
llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
  #189
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
and thats why he shouldnt have been yapping about timetables and when Markov would be back- he should have said we have no idea when Markov will be back- have to see how his rehab goes- of course he didnt want to say that- wonder why?
Huh? So you would have prefered he said nothing?

If that happened, don't try to tell me you wouldn't be here criticising him for not divulging any info on Markov's return.

Please

Also, as for him saying we'll see how his rehab goes...it's what he's been saying for weeks/months and that's still not good enough.

It doesn't really matter what Gauthier does or doesn't say really...the fact is he took a huge risk by signing Markov and so far, it's failed miserably. That doesn't mean things can't change, I totally supported and support the idea of re-signing your top player, but at this point and in hindsight, it was not a good decision (just based on immediate returns).

But I think the attitudes of many fans and media towards Markov/Gauthier is really misguided

As though Markov enjoys being hurt and not playing hockey and as though Gauthier purposely sabotaged this deal...

Come on

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
  #190
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
and really would markov being gone had been the worst thing in the world?



oh ya i know- they are fans and tahts good- i used to be more like taht- but after being ab fan for 40 plus years and seeing all types of things and watching hockey in general- you are still a fan but one that thinks with his brain more and not with the heart
The worst? Well, no. I believe losing any function in my hands to be worse. I can imagine a few other things, as well. However, I don't equate 'not being the worst thing in the world' with 'good' or 'advisable'.

We have 1 player on this team who is recognized as having been elite. We have perhaps two other players (Price, Subban) with that potential.

I don't think the potential advantage of not signing markov (cap space) outweighs the potential benefits of him playing.

Now, that is not to say that I agree with how Gauthier built the defense. Regardless of back-up plans or whatever, I do think that even at the best case scenario, this defense corps would have been too soft. I don't, however, believe the Markov signing had any effect on that. With or without him, we were going to be soft.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:40 PM
  #191
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Just because Markov was elite and a Habs since day 1 you can go out there and give the guy whatever he wants.

Also I'm not saying Gauthier ****ed up about Gorges contract, it's about what he said regarding both players and their injuries. Markov or not, it's 3 years the guy hasn't played a complete season you make the best move for the hockey team not one just to please a guy
The best move for the Habs was to re-sign Markov...Andrei Markov makes the Habs a better team.

Not re-signing him would not have made the Habs better...and please don't bring up Wiz, he would of cost MORE to sign as a free agent and i'm not sure if you've watched him play this year, but he's not worth the money he's making

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
  #192
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
The best move for the Habs was to re-sign Markov...Andrei Markov makes the Habs a better team.

Not re-signing him would not have made the Habs better...and please don't bring up Wiz, he would of cost MORE to sign as a free agent and i'm not sure if you've watched him play this year, but he's not worth the money he's making
No I don't really care about Wiz but the bottom line is right now he would have been helping a lot more. I would prefer Wiz over Kaberle but the Habs decided to give money to Campoli in September instead of being smarter with their money. But that's another subject regarding Gauthier

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
  #193
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
And if that rental was signed, it would still be a good deal. a 27 year old 50 pt PP QB for a 2nd and a 5th.

My point was, Pittsburgh didn't just sign a rental and tried to hold the fort with spare parts until Crosby came back. They made moves to strengthen the team at that point and into the future.

Montreal organization is reactive. Their moves show 0 forethought. 0 vision. Bandaid after bandaid. And people defend it. LOL
...and with all that strengthening we still lasted longer than them in the playoffs.

Funny how signing a 50 point d-man for 6 years and 5.5 mil/year is a great idea but getting one at 4.25 mi for 2 more years WHILE dumping our 2nd worst contract is a "band aid solution".

The Neal trade is similar to the Halak trade, trading from a position of trade to strengthen an area of weakness....but you probably think that was a bad idea...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
  #194
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No I don't really care about Wiz but the bottom line is right now he would have been helping a lot more. I would prefer Wiz over Kaberle but the Habs decided to give money to Campoli in September instead of being smarter with their money. But that's another subject regarding Gauthier
Paying 1.75 mil for ONE year to Campoli makes a lot more sense than the ridiculous contract Wisniewski got.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
  #195
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Paying 1.75 mil for ONE year to Campoli makes a lot more sense than the ridiculous contract Wisniewski got.
Despite the fact Wiz is heads and shoulders superior to Campoli.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
  #196
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Huh? So you would have prefered he said nothing?

If that happened, don't try to tell me you wouldn't be here criticising him for not divulging any info on Markov's return.

Please

Also, as for him saying we'll see how his rehab goes...it's what he's been saying for weeks/months and that's still not good enough.

It doesn't really matter what Gauthier does or doesn't say really...the fact is he took a huge risk by signing Markov and so far, it's failed miserably. That doesn't mean things can't change, I totally supported and support the idea of re-signing your top player, but at this point and in hindsight, it was not a good decision (just based on immediate returns).

But I think the attitudes of many fans and media towards Markov/Gauthier is really misguided

As though Markov enjoys being hurt and not playing hockey and as though Gauthier purposely sabotaged this deal...

Come on
People are just impatient. What if Markov does come back and stays mostly healthy for the next 2 years potting his usual numbers and playing well? Are people going to criticize Goat then? Of course not. Agree with your point that people only care about immediate impact/return, however I disagree that it was a bad signing. Let's see how the next 2 seasons go before we say that. Also whose to say Markov won't re-sign at a discount to retire here while playing perfectly healthy? He could be our Lidstrom, but because he's had a few bad injuries recently people have this "what have you done for me lately" attitude and it's pathetic. This guy loves our city and team, he wants to play, he's worked hard through an aggravating injury and he wants to play.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt he wouldn't be the first player to come back okay from an injury. The org is being extra careful so it looks to be possible. People need to have a little more faith and be patient. You think this sucks for you, this sucks for Markov a lot more.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:18 PM
  #197
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
lolwut?
So you'd sign Crosby for playing 8 games in 2 and half seasons?
(Assuming missing next season )

but not Markov for playing 15 games in 2 and half seasons?
who said i would sign crosby i would give an offer like many teams would alot more teams than for Markov- but i woudlnt just give what ever his agent wants and that would have been the same with mARKOV- NO WAY I GIVE 3 YEARs6 MILL- SO HE WOULD HAVE BEEN REHABING under another teams direction--or he would have taekn my offer of 1 year 5 mill

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
  #198
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
People are just impatient. What if Markov does come back and stays mostly healthy for the next 2 years potting his usual numbers and playing well? Are people going to criticize Goat then? Of course not. Agree with your point that people only care about immediate impact/return, however I disagree that it was a bad signing. Let's see how the next 2 seasons go before we say that. Also whose to say Markov won't re-sign at a discount to retire here while playing perfectly healthy? He could be our Lidstrom, but because he's had a few bad injuries recently people have this "what have you done for me lately" attitude and it's pathetic. This guy loves our city and team, he wants to play, he's worked hard through an aggravating injury and he wants to play.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt he wouldn't be the first player to come back okay from an injury. The org is being extra careful so it looks to be possible. People need to have a little more faith and be patient. You think this sucks for you, this sucks for Markov a lot more.
lest see how the next 2 years go-- from what ive seen up to now im not confident the next 2 will be good- are you?

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
  #199
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
I'm glad to know he's still alive.. **sigh**

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
  #200
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
People are just impatient. What if Markov does come back and stays mostly healthy for the next 2 years potting his usual numbers and playing well? Are people going to criticize Goat then? Of course not. Agree with your point that people only care about immediate impact/return, however I disagree that it was a bad signing. Let's see how the next 2 seasons go before we say that. Also whose to say Markov won't re-sign at a discount to retire here while playing perfectly healthy? He could be our Lidstrom, but because he's had a few bad injuries recently people have this "what have you done for me lately" attitude and it's pathetic. This guy loves our city and team, he wants to play, he's worked hard through an aggravating injury and he wants to play.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt he wouldn't be the first player to come back okay from an injury. The org is being extra careful so it looks to be possible. People need to have a little more faith and be patient. You think this sucks for you, this sucks for Markov a lot more.

Oh I don't think it was a bad signing, i said even knowing all we know today...I would still want them to re-sign Markov.

I just said that if judged on immediate returns, the decision to re-sign Markov was a bad one. But I agree with you, it's too early to say that.

If Markov gives the Habs 2 good years of hockey, it will have been worth it

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.