HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SSN Requirement for Shipping Across the Border (Sherwood)?

Old
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
SSN Requirement for Shipping Across the Border (Sherwood)?

I recently purchased a Sherwood RM9 composite goal stick, which broke in the first period of the first game that I played with it. The pro shop at the rink where I purchased the stick was quite unhelpful, but I contacted Sherwood online and they have agreed to replace the stick (yay!).

However...

They're asking for a social security number from me because (and I'm quoting) "[they] need to cross the border".

I've had many items shipped to me from Canada in the past, including my most recent three sets of goalie equipment. Is this a recent requirement? Has anyone else had any experiences like this (successful or otherwise)?

I'm excited at the prospect of getting this stick replaced, but I'm (hopefully understandably) wary about identity theft.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
I believe Sherwood is one of the few brands (along with Warrior) that requires customers with a warranty issue to go to the dealer and NOT through the manufacturer. Brands like Bauer and Easton have customers bypass the dealer and go directly to the manufacturer.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I believe Sherwood is one of the few brands (along with Warrior) that requires customers with a warranty issue to go to the dealer and NOT through the manufacturer. Brands like Bauer and Easton have customers bypass the dealer and go directly to the manufacturer.
In this case, the dealer told me to go to Sherwood, and they seem to be handling it.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
AIREAYE

http://www.sher-wood.com/en/sher-woo...y-inc/warranty

In this case, either your dealer doesn't know what they're doing or I am mistaken because the Sherwood warranty process involves the dealer:

"Equipment warranty requests must go through your dealer. If you have any questions regarding your warranty, please speak with your dealer and they will assist you with your request."

Old
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

I agree that likely my dealer doesn't know what they are doing.

However, Sherwood seems to be handling it (hence my question above).

Old
01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

So, does anyone have experiences related to the topic as posed?

Old
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
ChiTownHawks

This probably won't help much, but I've had many things shipped over the border and have never given out my SSN. And I would be very leery doing so.

I would tell them it is as issue with their equipment and that you are not comfortable giving out that info. See if they have any other options. If all else fails maybe give them the last 4 digits rather than the entire thing.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
AIREAYE

I'm sure that Sherwood has a rep in your area, perhaps if you could ask the pro shop for his contact info and see what he can do for you?

Old
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
jacklours

It might be different because it's a warranty.

I'm thinking companies probably cannot just send free stuff across border. It's probably a different process than just shipping paid items.
It may have to do with custom fees i'm guessing.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I recently purchased a Sherwood RM9 composite goal stick, which broke in the first period of the first game that I played with it. The pro shop at the rink where I purchased the stick was quite unhelpful, but I contacted Sherwood online and they have agreed to replace the stick (yay!).

However...

They're asking for a social security number from me because (and I'm quoting) "[they] need to cross the border".

I've had many items shipped to me from Canada in the past, including my most recent three sets of goalie equipment. Is this a recent requirement? Has anyone else had any experiences like this (successful or otherwise)?

I'm excited at the prospect of getting this stick replaced, but I'm (hopefully understandably) wary about identity theft.
I wouldn't give my SSN to anyone. Whoever was requesting the info is scamming you. Get the person's name and contact info and notify the company and let them know.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
jw1799

It is an U.S. Customs and Border Protection issue. Almost all warranty items traveling from Canada to the US requires either a SSN or an IRS Employer Identification number if it is going to a business.

If you want to read all the legal wording crap...it is located here
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/car..._consignee.xml

I had a warranty claim on a skater stick with Sherwood back in July. Sherwood handles all of their warranty issues directly now and will not allow you to go through any dealer anymore.

jw1799 is offline   Reply With Quote