HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Boone Jenner (2011, 37th overall, Columbus) -"The Beast"

Old
10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
C Boone Jenner (2011, 37th overall, Columbus) -"The Beast"

Can I get some info on this kid? Strengths? Weaknesses? He kind of intrigues me. Where would he be projected to go?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
FOXHOUND*

Wow nothing?

Old
10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Wow nothing?
Extremely early in the season for fans from other teams to have seen him to form an opinion.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Skating is an issue according to one scout I talked to. Nice hands and offensive ability plus character.

His rankings are all over the map right now-- some have him top-15 others pushing into the 2nd round, so it'll be a wait-and-see over the course of the season.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Skating is an issue according to one scout I talked to. Nice hands and offensive ability plus character.

His rankings are all over the map right now-- some have him top-15 others pushing into the 2nd round, so it'll be a wait-and-see over the course of the season.
He skates a lot like Tavares did as a 16/17 year old. Wide base with a choppy stride, but does a good job of protecting the puck and has a nice set of hands. I personally have Jenner kind of in that 15-25 range right now. He's got some intangibles but I'm not sure he has that high end ability to be a top liner in the NHL. I think if all goes right he should develop into a real good 2nd line center, otherwise he looks like he'll be a tweener type of guy between your 2nd and 3rd lines.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
FOXHOUND*

I appreciate the responses guys

Old
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
leafmon

He will be a all round two way player as he has great anticipation and hockey sense with and without the puck/ Does show good hands but I don;t think he will be first line material when he hits the NHL. That said I see him as a low risk bust guy because I think his overall game will translate well to the pro game.Also the skating from last year as a 16 year old to this year looks a lot stronger already.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
JSilvius*

Should be a late first rounder (as many have already said).

JSilvius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scouting Report View Post
He skates a lot like Tavares did as a 16/17 year old. Wide base with a choppy stride, but does a good job of protecting the puck and has a nice set of hands. I personally have Jenner kind of in that 15-25 range right now. He's got some intangibles but I'm not sure he has that high end ability to be a top liner in the NHL. I think if all goes right he should develop into a real good 2nd line center, otherwise he looks like he'll be a tweener type of guy between your 2nd and 3rd lines.
How are you feeling about him six months later?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Former NHL General Manager Craig Button, who drafted Jerome Iginla, Derian Hatcher, Jere Lehtinen, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Brendan Morrow during his tenure as Director of Scouting and Director of Player Personnel for the Dallas Stars, has Boone Jenner ranked as the 27 th ranked player in the draft(20 th amongst all forwards). A current scout for a Western Conference NHL team has Jenner ranked 29 th in the draft(18 th amongst forwards). An Eastern Conference scout has him 28 th (20 th amongst forwards). NHL Central Scouting has him 18 th amongst North American skaters(12 th amongst North American forwards).

Old
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
flamebird

Going to be a great pick up for whatever tram takes him, see him as a mike Richards type center, stocks taken a fall due to point production IMO

flamebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebird View Post
Going to be a great pick up for whatever tram takes him, see him as a mike Richards type center, stocks taken a fall due to point production IMO
Really . please enlighten me on the point production because he went from 45 as a 16 year old to 66 as a 17 year old in 63 games. Also just got knocked out and had 7 goals and 5 assists in 12 games .
In fact he was the only one of the Oshawa big three draft prospects to even show up against a very good Niagara team. But it doesn't end at points with Jenner you also get a guy who plays good defence ,kills penalties.provides leadership ,draws penalties and brings a high compete level every night.

IMO the scouts love this time of year when the playoff games get tougher. You get a better insight on the prospects and I can tell you Jenner did very well.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

I really want boone jenner on the leafs... wouldn't be surprised if burke just moves up for him in the 15-20 range. Hopefully he can stay as a center if he makes it in the nhl.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 06:09 PM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Really . please enlighten me on the point production because he went from 45 as a 16 year old to 66 as a 17 year old in 63 games. Also just got knocked out and had 7 goals and 5 assists in 12 games .
In fact he was the only one of the Oshawa big three draft prospects to even show up against a very good Niagara team. But it doesn't end at points with Jenner you also get a guy who plays good defence ,kills penalties.provides leadership ,draws penalties and brings a high compete level every night.

IMO the scouts love this time of year when the playoff games get tougher. You get a better insight on the prospects and I can tell you Jenner did very well.
Just wondering if you give some more details on this?
Knowing Nicklas Jensen's mentality and playing style I am a bit surprised to hear that. I have to admit that I didn't watch any games of the series, but looking at the stats he did have 1 more point (against NIA) and took 5 less penalties (Im well aware that stats doesn't show the complete picture). Just looking for an explanation to what you thought he was lacking/missing?

DenGC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
flamebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post

I did not say he had a poor point production. Im saying i'm sure most scouts wanted to see a higher offensive output, 80+PTS IMO

Old
04-18-2011, 01:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenGC View Post
Just wondering if you give some more details on this?
Knowing Nicklas Jensen's mentality and playing style I am a bit surprised to hear that. I have to admit that I didn't watch any games of the series, but looking at the stats he did have 1 more point (against NIA) and took 5 less penalties (Im well aware that stats doesn't show the complete picture). Just looking for an explanation to what you thought he was lacking/missing?
...and now I'm curious as to what you mean about Jenson's mentality and playing style.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:05 AM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
...and now I'm curious as to what you mean about Jenson's mentality and playing style.
Always thought that he stepped up when the game was on the line. Bear in mind I only have danish league playoffs and national (youth) team games to draw conclusion from. But he always seemed like a real competitor albeit he could be a bit more physical.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenGC View Post
Always thought that he stepped up when the game was on the line. Bear in mind I only have danish league playoffs and national (youth) team games to draw conclusion from. But he always seemed like a real competitor albeit he could be a bit more physical.
Just read in the danish media, that Jensen bruised a couple of ribs in the first game against Niagara. Could have hampered his competitiveness.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

I've been seeing Jensen going higher than Jenner on most mock drafts. Both in the late 1st round.

Any reason why? I would love if Burke could pick up both of these guys for Toronto.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
I've been seeing Jensen going higher than Jenner on most mock drafts. Both in the late 1st round.

Any reason why? I would love if Burke could pick up both of these guys for Toronto.
I've been wondering why that is as well. From what I gather it sounds like Jensen's skating is a little better and that he's got a better shot.

That said, it sounds like Jenner is pretty much the strongest character player in the draft with relentless desire, and tireless drive. Add to that a great frame a first round skills, and it sounds like a pretty enticing package for a late first in a crapshoot of a draft. Especially considering what a crapshoot drafts are even when they're more solid than this one.

Does that sound accurate to fans who've actually seen these two play hockey?

Last edited by rt: 04-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Boston
Captain Chara

I'm not as impressed with Jenner in his own zone as some others are in this thread.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I'm not as impressed with Jenner in his own zone as some others are in this thread.
That's interesting. Every scouting report I read mentions his work ethic and his two-way play as his primary attributes. Awkward skating style and less than stellar hands are always the primary negatives in every report.

I very much get the impression that he's one of these "go-go" players. Is that primarily in the offensive zone? Or is it a case of not quite having the hockey sense to be a good defensive zone player, despite a strong desire to be one?

For example, Scottie Upshall is a player that is always buzzing around the ice. He works his tail off and never stops moving. This actually works against him in the defensive zone, however. He doesn't have the hockey sense, the panic threshold or the patience to be positionally sound. His constant running around actually makes him a sub-par player in his own end.

Is Jenner similar, or do your concerns differ?

Old
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Keep in mind I've only seen him play twice, but I felt he had a much better motor out there when in the offensive zone or when his man in the d-zone had the puck. Other than that I wasn't overly impressed with backchecking and playing without the puck in the d-zone.

I would like to hear others thoughts on this though.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
thalegion

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

I can't see video cause I'm in school but it could have a nice breakdown of his skills

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
flamebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That's interesting. Every scouting report I read mentions his work ethic and his two-way play as his primary attributes. Awkward skating style and less than stellar hands are always the primary negatives in every report.

I very much get the impression that he's one of these "go-go" players. Is that primarily in the offensive zone? Or is it a case of not quite having the hockey sense to be a good defensive zone player, despite a strong desire to be one?

For example, Scottie Upshall is a player that is always buzzing around the ice. He works his tail off and never stops moving. This actually works against him in the defensive zone, however. He doesn't have the hockey sense, the panic threshold or the patience to be positionally sound. His constant running around actually makes him a sub-par player in his own end.

Is Jenner similar, or do your concerns differ?
His defensive play is pretty good as well as his hockey sense, his below average hands and go-go offensive zone kind of player is a fair statement.