HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What could the NHL do to prevent concussions?

Old
01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Bure80

vCash: 500
What could the NHL do to prevent concussions?

In my opinion only 1 thing. They can change to olympic sized rinks.
I know this idea is not very popular but in my opinion the only thing that can help.
They tried it with making harder rules but this changed nothing.Hockey is a so fast nowdays that hits from behind are often unintended.
Only my opinion what do you guys think?

Btw this would be good too for smaller skilled players like Ennis.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
johnblah

Main reason the rule change does not work is because its 1% black, 1% white, and 98% gray: ref or Shanny the unreliable decided. Even tho there are defined rules they decide "as They see fit" which is a HUGE problem.

johnblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
johnblah

here is my basic rant from the jochen thred.

I really do wish that the NHL would make it mandatory that all players must wear helms from the Messier Project or share the project with other company's to not infringe on sponsorship issues (like money/free gear is an issue to most players). All I know is I wear one and have taken some Wicked full speed hits which led to full speed head to ice hits where my head bounced off the ice and felt like night and day between my old bauer helm...got up, took a breath and was good to go.

The answer is not slowing the game because that will lead to other problems. It is making the equipment, boards/rink, and peanltys to head hits even stiffer In Game. This is such a serious issue it should not be up to a man on the ice trying to keep track of 12 players at the same time flying around but to an additional "ref" type in the booth who can see what Exactly happened on the spot with quick video review. Someone who can see intent and the play at hand.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion. the bold part is what is wrong with this game currently. There should be no at refs discretion in a pro sport. It needs to be Black and White.

johnblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Cover them in bubble wrap.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:29 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

1. Get rid of the body armor that's worn today, and go back to softer pads.

2. Throw the book at obviously intentional headshots. I'm talking 20+ games if you obviously targeted the head for a first offender. Money runs everything. These $2500 max fines in the CBA aren't going to stop anything. Make people pay.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
michaelsaas

Is resizing the rinks a financially viable option? Are most NHL stadiums built in away that could incorporate a larger rink?

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:17 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
Is resizing the rinks a financially viable option? Are most NHL stadiums built in away that could incorporate a larger rink?
Most of the revenue lost from the seats could be recouped simply by adjusting pricing elsewhere. That wouldn't be terrible.

The larger cost would be expanding the coolant systems to accomodate the extra ice area, and I'd bet a lot of teams couldn't stomach that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Zippster

Full face masks ( I know, nhl players are too tough and cool for this ) and gel padding in the helmets like the NFL. Watch the hits those suckers take and just bounce right back up.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Johnston said he believes a number of things can be done to reduce the risk of concussions that have plagued star players like Sidney Crosby and raised the concern of parents of young players.

"If we want our children, both our boys and girls, to be playing this game we don't want them to be subjecting themselves to concussions and so on."

Those steps include redesigning hard-plastic equipment so it is less dangerous, eliminating head shots and high-sticking and, "and fourthly, I think fighting is just ... it should not be a part of the game."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/...hting-pnp.html
Quote:
Bauer Hockey unveiled its Re-akt helmet in Ottawa on Friday, calling it the first designed specifically to manage multiple hits, including rotational-force impacts from turning the head, which can cause significant head injuries such as concussion.

"There are several scientific studies that have shown a significant correlation between rotational force impacts and head injuries, and it is important to look at solutions to help protect players from these impacts," Dr. Mark Lovell, the retired founding director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's sports medicine concussion program, said in a company news release.

The helmet features a special liner that is meant to protect the head from excessive rotational acceleration when the helmet is hit. The liner is made with a light, pliable material that dissipates extreme forces on impact, Bauer said.

Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers was one of the first players to wear the new helmet leading up to this weekend's all-star game in Ottawa.

"No helmet is going to completely prevent concussions, but helmets like this one are providing an added level of protection, which is important in today's game," said Giroux, who missed four games due to a concussion earlier this season.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...ncussions.html

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
joshjull

To prevent them from happening? Nothing

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:26 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

2. Throw the book at obviously intentional headshots. I'm talking 20+ games if you obviously targeted the head for a first offender. Money runs everything. These $2500 max fines in the CBA aren't going to stop anything. Make people pay.
I completely agree. Its safety equipment not weaponry, and should be designed to protect the opponent as well as the player wearing it.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

There are so many great reasons to make the rinks bigger, not the least of which is player health. But even if they did, they still would need to ban head shots completely. So why not do that right now?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Better regulations for helmets.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:14 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

So here's Dave's question to you: "Has the NHL done all it can do to prevent concussions?" Here are some of the best responses:

"With all the rule changes to speed up the game, the NHL designed its own problems. Clutch and grab doesn't look so bad now, does it?" - Chris

"What else can be done? Players are penalized on the ice, suspended off the ice, and concussion awareness and information is better than ever." - Eric

"It's hard to prevent collisions involving teammates, so whatever else is done, there will still be concussions." - Al

"To quote The Simpsons: "We've tried nothing, and we're fresh out of ideas." - Brian (That's not fair, but it's The Simpsons).

"Both the league and the players need to ensure that helmets are worn and secured properly." - Ben

"The NHL may not be doing all it could do, but within the framework of a game designed for fun and profit, it is doing all it should do." - Matthew

"A stone still unturned is to increase the size of the ice surface." – J.J.

Dave's reply to all:

The answer to this question is and will be "no" until the NHL tries to eliminate head injuries caused by flying fists. It can do everything else in its power, but it's not doing all it can do until it does that. And because it doesn't do that, it gets less credit for the things it is doing.

And it might get more credit if it said things differently. "Upper-body injury" is evasive at best and offensive at worst if it is meant to avoid the report of a concussion. And what to make of the theory that the number of concussions is up because they are more frequently diagnosed, when Commissioner Gary Bettman tells the board of governors that concussions are down by 1/3? Take your pick, but either way, it amounts to spin.

And then there's Dale Hunter's view. The Washington coach says concussions go in streaks--it seems like a lot now, but it'll even out...he thinks. You know, it's okay to call it a crisis; it's better than hoping for the end of a streak.

12/16/2011 9:29:22 PM TSN.CA STAFF ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thought it might help

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
They did that last year.

They went with larger, softer shoulder caps and softer elbow pads.

Here is a good blog post on whether to make visors mandatory that talks about the shoulder pad change:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp19227

Quote:
Sometimes there are unintended consequences to rule changes as well. At the beginning of the 2010-11 season all players were required to switch to shoulder pads with thicker, softer foam on the shoulder caps.

The idea was that the softer padding would reduce injuries in the event of shoulder to head contact. These new shoulder pads are universally unpopular with the players. They are huge, and I know many of teammates feel that they are so protective that they actually encourage players to hit even more recklessly. As a result, the new shoulder pads could produce the opposite effect for which they were originally intended.

I am told the League is now considering going to the opposite end of the spectrum and reducing the size of the shoulder caps. If they make them small enough, the hitter might be more conscious of the chances of injuring himself, and therefore are likely to play under control.
Quote:
The international and CHL crackdown on head shots has been way ahead of the NHL.

I don't know how much it would help. But, it couldn't make things worse.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:14 AM
ShaPow

Pull the plug on the instigator rule.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Bure80

Quote:

The larger cost would be expanding the coolant systems to accomodate the extra ice area, and I'd bet a lot of teams couldn't stomach that.
I dont see this as a problem.All european teams can affort it so it shouldnt be a problem for a healthy NHL Franchise.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Selanne00008

Force everyone to wear a mouth piece. And not to just munch on before the faceoff. Lots of players do this. I think Roy? Kane?

Mouthpieces plain and simple prevent concussions as well. When you dont have one in and your bottom jaw snaps up it shaked the hell out of your brain.

That, and redesigned Mandatory helmets.

I dont have an issue with fighting. How many concussions happen because of it? Not to mention Burke's argument where fighting would prevent players from going after a Crosby type player.

Last edited by Selanne00008: 01-28-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
snoop244

As much as I like to watch a guy get hit head-on with a thunderous check, I think they they will need to take the kind of hit out of the game where the defender and the target are heading in opposite directions. Even when the head isn't directly involved, this kind of hit causes a lot of concussions because the brain gets rattled.

Technically, most of these hits are charging - which they need to start calling by the book.

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Put the red line back on...that will slow the game down.The game is too fast, that's why you see these concussions.

You gotta decide, more goals or better player safety?

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:36 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Put the red line back on...that will slow the game down.The game is too fast, that's why you see these concussions.

More goals. They're compensated.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Force everyone to wear a mouth piece. And not to just munch on before the faceoff. Lots of players do this. I think Roy? Kane?

Mouthpieces plain and simple prevent concussions as well. When you dont have one in and your bottom jaw snaps up it shaked the hell out of your brain.

That, and redesigned Mandatory helmets.

I dont have an issue with fighting. How many concussions happen because of it? Not to mention Burke's argument where fighting would prevent players from going after a Crosby type player.
There is no study that has shown this to be the case.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ourg...uth-guard.html

Quote:
Dr. Cantu is known throughout the world for his work on catastrophic head and neck injury, concussion and post concussive syndrome. He's had an 'athletic concussion grading system' named after him and he's considered a pioneer when it comes to the diagnosis and treatment of concussions.

During his power point presentation on Saturday, Dr. Cantu included the following slide:

INJURY PREVENTION

Mouth guards have a role in preventing dental and oro-facial injury but have not been shown to decrease concussion occurrence.
Even though a large portion of the hockey community has been under the impression for years that wearing a mouth guard helps prevent a concussion, Dr. Cantu offered up a simple explanation as to why that's not true.

"No study that mouth guards prevent concussions has been done," said Dr. Cantu. "But they do prevent injuries to the teeth so I would recommend all collision-sports players wear mouth guards."

Dr. Charles Tator is currently professor in the department of surgery at the University of Toronto. His previous positions included neurosurgeon-in-chief at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and Toronto's Western Hospital.

He, too, sat on the London Hockey Concussion Summit head table and he backs up Dr. Cantu's suggestion that there's no scientific proof mouth guards prevent concussions.

"If you're talking about a study that has looked at one thousand kids with mouth guards and one thousand kids without mouth guards, well, that study hasn't been done."

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

I think it's quite possible the NHL game can be played fast without the type of contact which causes many concussions, or, played with that contact resulting in less concussions. I guess I don't see as much philosophical overlap in the Venn diagrams between "fast game" and "concussions" as you do.

How dramatically has scoring gone up with the elimination of the two-line pass? (just curious, not rebutting the contention it has)

Do concussions result disproportionately from plays which previously would have been 2-line-pass whistles? I really don't know there, either.

I know the players are, on average, probably an inch or two taller and 15-20 pounds heavier today than 20-25 years ago, but look at the smaller padding worn by the Oilers, Flames, etc., in the late-80s. I'm curious if concussions were fewer then. But a medical / injury comparison is probably meaningless due to diagnostic and reporting differences.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
That's really an excellent point. If you watch games from the 1970's and 1980's the players look scrawny compared to the players today. The equipment has gotten a lot bigger and stronger too. It's affected the whole mentality of hitting. These guys are protected like gladiators now. In the past when a player dished out a hit it was likely to hurt him just as much as the guy as he was hitting. Players were more cautious. Don Cherry often makes the point that there wasn't as much high sticking before helmets were mandatory and players started wearing visors. It's caused the player to be more reckless with their sticks because they think they're protected. I think we're seeing the same effect with the other equipment and body checking.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Squantosawuss

I know this is somehow sacreligious in the hockey world, but.....

Get away from the hard, high velocity hits, particularly the open ice hits that level a player who isn't even looking. You want to lessen concussions? There's a primary way.

Sorry, but the big hits and the fighting do NOTHING for me. I don't get off on it and find it to be a big distraction more than anything else. Guys can still battle for pucks and be as rough as they are now, but enough with the high velocity hits.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote