HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 143: Diaz vs Condit

Old
01-31-2012, 04:53 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Id rather see Diaz win just so we can see Diaz vs GSP that would be epic....I think Diaz pulls off a UD in 5 round FOTN
If this thing goes 5 rounds, it has to be a candidate for FOTY. Diaz and Condit will both throw and if they do so for 5 rounds, we could have another Hendo/Shogun type fight.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
If this thing goes 5 rounds, it has to be a candidate for FOTY. Diaz and Condit will both throw and if they do so for 5 rounds, we could have another Hendo/Shogun type fight.
Only thing that held Hendo/Shogun back was fatigue, something that could easily not be an issue in this fight. Very exciting to think about how good this fight could turn out if neither guy gets finished.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:11 PM
OG Kuch

The only reason I wouldn't mind Diaz winning is because I want to see GSP kick his ass up and down the octagon. Either way though, this should be a great fight.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
The only reason I wouldn't mind Diaz winning is because I want to see GSP kick his ass up and down the octagon. Either way though, this should be a great fight.
Im not sure that would happen tbh.

Georges hasnt fought anyone worthwhile for a loooooooong time. He could be pretty rusty when he comes back.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im not sure that would happen tbh.

Georges hasnt fought anyone worthwhile for a loooooooong time. He could be pretty rusty when he comes back.
I think GSP will win the fight rather easily but it won't be because he kicked Diaz's ass up and down the octagon. He'll take him down, control him, and win a decision. I think Diaz has better stand up and he is better on the ground but GSP kills him in wrestling and all the judges look for are takedowns.

Don't want to look past Condit though. He's a beast.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
OG Kuch

I don't see GSP have any problems with Diaz whatsoever, and he'll be as motivated as ever to make a statement that he can put on entertaining fights and look for the finish. I think it will be an extremely one sided beating.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
I don't see GSP have any problems with Diaz whatsoever, and he'll be as motivated as ever to make a statement that he can put on entertaining fights and look for the finish. I think it will be an extremely one sided beating.
Very little chance of that.

This is a guy that couldnt finish Dan Hardy.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
The Rage

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz (for interim welterweight title)
Roy Nelson vs. Fabricio Werdum
Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce
Renan Barao vs. Scott Jorgensen
Ed Herman vs. Clifford Starks
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
Max Holloway vs. Dustin Poirier
Jorge Lopez vs. Matt Riddle
Alex Caceres vs. Edwin Figueroa
Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope
(Facebook?)
Dan Stittgen vs. Stephen Thompson
Rafael Natal vs Michael Kuiper

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:59 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Very little chance of that.

This is a guy that couldnt finish Dan Hardy.
That's your reasoning? Pretty weak if you ask me.

I expect an angry GSP to dominate Diaz the entire fight, and I don't see much that suggests otherwise. GSP will be able to control where the fight takes place, and I think his hatred for Diaz will make him more aggressive than usual.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Quote:

I expect an angry GSP to dominate Diaz the entire fight, and I don't see much that suggests otherwise. GSP will be able to control where the fight takes place, and I think his hatred for Diaz will make him more aggressive than usual.
I would agree, except for the injury/layoff. If that fight were happening this weekend, I think that's exactly how it plays out.

However GSP is extremely tentative lately as it is, and I would be shocked if he didn't play it safe after a huge injury and massive layoff.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

That's what everyone said about the Koscheck fight as well.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:14 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That's what everyone said about the Koscheck fight as well.
That's not a realistic comparison though.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
That's not a realistic comparison though.
Why?

Koscheck annoyed GSP and talked **** about him while they were on TUF, he said GSP took steroids and wanted Olympic-style drug testing for their fight, he said he hopes GSP doesn't grease for their fight, he made some negative comments about Montreal/Canada, etc.

I think all Diaz has said is that GSP faked an injury and that he's a great athlete but not a great fighter. That doesn't come close to the comments Koscheck and Penn have made in the past.

Before the Koscheck fight GSP said the same stuff he has been saying about Diaz but nothing changed in that fight. We didn't see a more aggressive GSP. I would love to see the old GSP but I think there is too much on the line now and he would rather just fight safe and rack up the wins. I don't like it as a fan but it's the perfect strategy for him.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:18 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Why?

Koscheck annoyed GSP and talked **** about him while they were on TUF, he said GSP took steroids and wanted Olympic-style drug testing for their fight, he said he hopes GSP doesn't grease for their fight, he made some negative comments about Montreal/Canada, etc.

I think all Diaz has said is that GSP faked an injury and that he's a great athlete but not a great fighter. That doesn't come close to the comments Koscheck and Penn have made in the past.

Before the Koscheck fight GSP said the same stuff he has been saying about Diaz but nothing changed in that fight. We didn't see a more aggressive GSP. I would love to see the old GSP but I think there is too much on the line now and he would rather just fight safe and rack up the wins. I don't like it as a fan but it's the perfect strategy for him.
Well, GSP did break Koscheck's face. He will never be able to have sensation in that part of his face ever again. You could see the fear in his eyes when Hughes was pawing at that area. GSP's problem in that fight was that he let up when the fight was in the bag, but he certainly brought some dangerous standup (not haymakers maybe but consistently damaging blows) in the early going, and that fight should have been stopped.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:25 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
Only thing that held Hendo/Shogun back was fatigue, something that could easily not be an issue in this fight. Very exciting to think about how good this fight could turn out if neither guy gets finished.
Exactly. If you think about how Diaz has the best cardio in all of MMA, GSP's is great as well, you're looking at a really great opportunity for a good war.

I also feel like a lot of people are selling Diaz short for whatever reason. Diaz is in the prime of his career and I think he's easily top 2 in his division. While I'm not gunna say this will be an easy fight for Diaz, I think he beats Condit and has a very good chance of beating GSP. Ring rust is very real and coming off a bad knee injury that hold you out of the ring for a long while, GSP might not be up to the level of Diaz. That is, of course, if Diaz gets through Condit Saturday.

Old
02-02-2012, 02:54 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Exactly. If you think about how Diaz has the best cardio in all of MMA, GSP's is great as well, you're looking at a really great opportunity for a good war.

I also feel like a lot of people are selling Diaz short for whatever reason. Diaz is in the prime of his career and I think he's easily top 2 in his division. While I'm not gunna say this will be an easy fight for Diaz, I think he beats Condit and has a very good chance of beating GSP. Ring rust is very real and coming off a bad knee injury that hold you out of the ring for a long while, GSP might not be up to the level of Diaz. That is, of course, if Diaz gets through Condit Saturday.
GSP will beat Diaz up just like he did Fitch. If people think GSP is gonna stand there and let Diaz throw that jab at him for 25 minutes they are sorely mistaken. GSP will put Diaz on his back whenever he wants. It might go the distance, but it's gonna be a 25 minute beating.

BGDDYKWL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:33 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:

I like Diaz over pretty much anybody in a 5 round fight. He's been controlled for 15 minutes before, but he hasn't been finished in 10 years, and 25 minutes gives him a lot more time to fish for a sub or KO, especially given that he'll probably have a better gas tank than anyone else in the division. If you ask me, Carlos is going to have to test his chin with some kicks or knees, cause if Daley can only drop him with punches, I don't know who will be able to finish him.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Diaz missed 3 flights before finally arriving in Vegas

Apparently they have footage of everything that happened and they'll show it on the final prime time episode. I wonder if this was just for TV or if he really just likes ****ing with Dana and the UFC.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Why?

The level of hatred between GSP and Koscheck (and really there was none, it was all Koscheck doing harmless stuff to build up the fight) and GSP and Diaz isn't even remotely comparable.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
GSP will beat Diaz up just like he did Fitch. If people think GSP is gonna stand there and let Diaz throw that jab at him for 25 minutes they are sorely mistaken. GSP will put Diaz on his back whenever he wants. It might go the distance, but it's gonna be a 25 minute beating.
I don't believe that. Diaz has good BJJ and wrestling as well. Plus his cardio really is a game changer. If you can go an entire fight and not get tired maintaining whatever pace you set, that's a huge advantage. I think Diaz can stuff some takedowns and land on GSP. If it happens, it'll probably be one the most exciting fights for me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
I like Diaz over pretty much anybody in a 5 round fight. He's been controlled for 15 minutes before, but he hasn't been finished in 10 years, and 25 minutes gives him a lot more time to fish for a sub or KO, especially given that he'll probably have a better gas tank than anyone else in the division. If you ask me, Carlos is going to have to test his chin with some kicks or knees, cause if Daley can only drop him with punches, I don't know who will be able to finish him.
Exactly. Diaz does not hit as hard as some but he lands over and over and over and over and over and over and never gets tired. I think the Daley fight proved Diaz can stand in there with the most powerful of strikers in his division and take the punishment. To me, if its a back and forth battle, Diaz will take it. Its going to take a Condit domination to actually finish Diaz.

Quote:
Diaz missed 3 flights before finally arriving in Vegas

Apparently they have footage of everything that happened and they'll show it on the final prime time episode. I wonder if this was just for TV or if he really just likes ****ing with Dana and the UFC.
Doesn't surprise me. I honestly feel bad for the guy. To be this messed up psychologically, he must have gone through some stuff as a child. And I highly doubt Diaz would do anything just for TV. He's not an act. That's who he is.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
OG Kuch

Diaz deserves a free pass and sympathy for being completely unprofessional and disrespecting those he works for? Okay then.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
The level of hatred between GSP and Koscheck (and really there was none, it was all Koscheck doing harmless stuff to build up the fight) and GSP and Diaz isn't even remotely comparable.
If what Koscheck did was just harmless stuff then I don't know why GSP is so angry with Diaz. Accusing someone of greasing and taking steroids is a lot worse than accusing someone of faking an injury. I wonder if Diaz and Condit's manager are right about this just being a way for the UFC to sell the GSP/Diaz fight.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Diaz deserves a free pass and sympathy for being completely unprofessional and disrespecting those he works for? Okay then.
Not saying he gets a free pass at all but I can't help but feel for the guy because he seems so timid a lot of the times, which my guess would be because he was hurt in one way or another as a kid and its still affective him now and I can relate to that. That being said, he's a grown man and needs to work on his issues, although getting Nick Diaz to see a shrink would probably be harder than me beating him in a fight

Old
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
If what Koscheck did was just harmless stuff then I don't know why GSP is so angry with Diaz. Accusing someone of greasing and taking steroids is a lot worse than accusing someone of faking an injury. I wonder if Diaz and Condit's manager are right about this just being a way for the UFC to sell the GSP/Diaz fight.
There was also the whole situation of Diaz not showing up for both press conferences and putting their first fight in jeopardy. GSP felt Diaz disrespected him and the UFC and that seems to be part of the issue GSP has with him.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
OG Kuch

Half the stuff Koscheck did was so lame that GSP just basically laughed along. I don't think there was ever any hatred there. Diaz (with the help of Cesar Gracie) has not only continually disrespected GSP by questioning his integrity, but has also gone about pretty much everything in as classless a way possible since coming back into the UFC.