HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flashback: Jose Theodore

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2012, 09:24 AM
  #1
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Flashback: Jose Theodore

What happened to Jose Theodore in 2005 threw 2007. Watching him play in Florida, he seems 100x better than he was with the avs which should have been his prime years. What caused him to fall so fast? Did we ACTUALLY think Peter Budaj was going to be a future starter?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:34 AM
  #2
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 500
Is he in a contract year?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
  #3
quesosauce
Registered User
 
quesosauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
he played ok while here, and his last year here was really solid, he only plays well in contract years

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
  #4
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 13,990
vCash: 500
He was really good against Minnesota in the playoffs his last year here.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
  #5
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 30,990
vCash: 50
As a smaller goalie, him playing well depends on him reading the play well and having his reactions. He has a high ceiling but also a career where he has problems with consistency.

Enjoy him when he is playing well. He is a fun goalie to watch.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
  #6
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
As good as he's been for Florida, I doubt he's been better than he was for us the second half of 07-08. He's streaky, that's all there is to it.

Not to mention the guy hasn't even played thirty games for Florida. It's not like he's having a godsend of a year.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:27 PM
  #7
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
What happened to Jose Theodore in 2005 threw 2007. Watching him play in Florida, he seems 100x better than he was with the avs which should have been his prime years. What caused him to fall so fast? Did we ACTUALLY think Peter Budaj was going to be a future starter?
Not sure why you're singling out 05-07, he began to suck immediately after winning the Vezina. He was bad for the Caps too, they just had enough offensive firepower to overcome it and give him a winning record.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:52 PM
  #8
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Not sure why you're singling out 05-07, he began to suck immediately after winning the Vezina. He was bad for the Caps too, they just had enough offensive firepower to overcome it and give him a winning record.
He was very good in Montreal during 03/04. He was an all star, helped the habs beat bruins in upset fashion, and even played for Team Canada at the world cup of hockey.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
  #9
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
I heard one of his kids died, but I'm not sure if it happened after those years or not.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:47 PM
  #10
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I heard one of his kids died, but I'm not sure if it happened after those years or not.
No, that was a much more recent occurrence. He also nearly lost his other kid from the same ailment.

I think the problem with Theo is that, yes, he's a smaller goalie, and he relies more on his athleticism to make saves than sound technique.

What led to the Avs going with a Raycroft/Budaj tandem? An incompetent general manager, that's what. Funny that Raycroft got the GM on each of his first three teams fired.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:50 AM
  #11
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,762
vCash: 500
I like how both Theodore and Elliot have bounced back this season. Anderson has as well the second half, although thats a different story.

Maybe Denver has some magic pixie dust where after goalies leave they become starters?

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:24 AM
  #12
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstriker045 View Post
I like how both Theodore and Elliot have bounced back this season. Anderson has as well the second half, although thats a different story.

Maybe Denver has some magic pixie dust where after goalies leave they become starters?
Lol that's true. But Theodore went 20-0-3 his last 23 games in Washington and just about stole the starting role from Backstrom in Minny last year so it's not surprising that he's doing well this year. The most amazing part of it all tho is that he isn't in a contract year this season I just remember watching him during the 06/07 season wondering how he could have gotten so bad. On the plus, the avs/minny series was the only time in the past ten years where you can truly say he regained his Hart form. Man he was lights out in that series.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
  #13
Jrtu
Registered User
 
Jrtu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
What happened to the second coming of Patrick Roy?

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
  #14
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
What happened to the second coming of Patrick Roy?
He looked drunk at the all-star draft...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
  #15
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
All I know is that when Theodore first came to town, he got a couple of my friends in high school to start following hockey. They were girls. THAT'S my Theo flashback.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
  #16
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
All I know is that when Theodore first came to town, he got a couple of my friends in high school to start following hockey. They were girls. THAT'S my Theo flashback.
Puck bunnies.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
  #17
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
All I know is that when Theodore first came to town, he got a couple of my friends in high school to start following hockey. They were girls. THAT'S my Theo flashback.
Creamsoda?

This comes back to not having a proper goalie coach and a terrible defensive system.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
  #18
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Puck bunnies.
Hahaha, yup! It was super annoying having them come over pretending to be so into hockey... the night would consist of me explaining every single thing for them. "OOoooooOOOO! Theo made a save!"

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
  #19
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,493
vCash: 500
He came to Colorado in 2005-2006 while in the midst of one of the worst seasons in recent memory for any NHL starting goaltender. And to add a bit more controversy to the mix, he was injured from some freak accident that happened when he slipped on his porch. He did win a playoff series with the Avalanche that season, but it had little to do with his goaltending and more to do with Marty Turco's horrible goaltending for Dallas.

The next year, 2006-2007, he continued to play like crap, and Peter Budaj looked to be the Avs future in goal after winning 30+ games with an elite offense in front of him.

Jump to 2007-2008, and Budaj, who finished the previous year with an insane record of 12-1-2 in March and April, started stinking up the joint. Then, injuries starting coming in bunches. Enter Jose Theodore, who played lights out during a stretch in which Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth, and Paul Stastny were injured simultaneously.

Theodore goes on to win a playoff series against the Minnesota Wild, followed by a stinker against the Detroit Red Wings, and then bolts to Washington after turning down a two year, $7 million from the Avalanche. Meanwhile, goaltending coach Jeff Hackett is hailed as a prophet.

The Jose Theodore debacle in a nutshell.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
  #20
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He came to Colorado in 2005-2006 while in the midst of one of the worst seasons in recent memory for any NHL starting goaltender. And to add a bit more controversy to the mix, he was injured from some freak accident that happened when he slipped on his porch. He did win a playoff series with the Avalanche that season, but it had little to do with his goaltending and more to do with Marty Turco's horrible goaltending for Dallas.

The next year, 2006-2007, he continued to play like crap, and Peter Budaj looked to be the Avs future in goal after winning 30+ games with an elite offense in front of him.

Jump to 2007-2008, and Budaj, who finished the previous year with an insane record of 12-1-2 in March and April, started stinking up the joint. Then, injuries starting coming in bunches. Enter Jose Theodore, who played lights out during a stretch in which Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth, and Paul Stastny were injured simultaneously.

Theodore goes on to win a playoff series against the Minnesota Wild, followed by a stinker against the Detroit Red Wings, and then bolts to Washington after turning down a two year, $7 million from the Avalanche. Meanwhile, goaltending coach Jeff Hackett is hailed as a prophet.

The Jose Theodore debacle in a nutshell.
nicely said.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:55 PM
  #21
AvsFanRCN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Puck bunnies.
Over here we call them 'puck f**ks'

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
  #22
Flanagan
Registered Loser
 
Flanagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Not sure why you're singling out 05-07, he began to suck immediately after winning the Vezina. He was bad for the Caps too, they just had enough offensive firepower to overcome it and give him a winning record.
There's a difference between being given a winning record and going 62-24-12. He wasn't "bad" but was definitely not a Hart contender any more.

Also, I noticed he was sent down to the AHL for a game while he was here. I don't remember that at all, anyone recall what happened?

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:52 PM
  #23
quesosauce
Registered User
 
quesosauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Also, I noticed he was sent down to the AHL for a game while he was here. I don't remember that at all, anyone recall what happened?
conditioning stint

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.