HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tough February Schedule

Old
01-29-2012, 09:44 AM
GrizzLeaf

vCash: 500
Tough February Schedule

February's going to be a tiring month for the Leafs. They will play two games in two nights, four times, and have no really long breaks. Nothing longer than 2 days off a couple of times. No other month in their schedule has them playing back to back nights 4 times. March comes closest with 3 times, but February has 2 less days in the month. The Leafs play a total of 14 games in February. The played 14 games back in November and will do 15 in March. All other months had less games. Heck January was a cakewalk compared to what's coming. They played 12 games in those 31 days (counting the last game coming on Tuesday) and only twice did the back to back nights.

It's an even split 7 home games and 7 away, with only one swing out west for a 3 game stretch. Hopefully they can take 2 of those 3 games.

All of their opponents are beatable though. I sure hope the players are resting up and taking advantage of the downtime the all-star break allows, 'cause the Leafs need to play lots and play well in February.

Edit: March has 4 back to back games as well

Last edited by GrizzLeaf: 01-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.
GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post

All of their opponents are beatable though.
exactly

it's not a tough schedule, it's a an average month i'd say

not every month is a joke like jan

look at march, it's tougher- philly twice, boston twice, rangers, pitt, wash, jersey

the good part is it's late in the season, so some of those teams might be in the playoffs and complacent a bit, part of the reason we're famous for our 'late year surge'

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
exactly

it's not a tough schedule, it's a an average month i'd say

not every month is a joke like jan

look at march, it's tougher- philly twice, boston twice, rangers, pitt, wash, jersey

the good part is it's late in the season, so some of those teams might be in the playoffs and complacent a bit, part of the reason we're famous for our 'late year surge'
Sorry, edited my post while you were answering.

It sure looks like the Leafs are in tough to end the season. Both Feb and March will have the highest amount of games played in the shortest amount of time and they will have a total of 8 back to back nights. It's gonna wear on them over the long run. I hope they're up to the task.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
SteveV*

I'm sure the other teams in the hunt have easy schedules.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
It's a tough schedule for anyone playing the Leafs, that is. Booya.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Dunny777

The Leafs actually do play back to back 4 times in March as well. 6-7, 10-11, 19-20, 23-24. I've been thinking about this too. The Leafs schedule for the last two months looks really tough. We wasted the easy months and only have 9th place to show for it. If the Leafs don't really pick up their play, it might be another long summer.

Dunny777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

One thing I've noticed over the past few years specifically is when it comes to the Leafs there are no easy or tough schedules. Every-time I expect them to win, they lose (and vice versa). However, I don't believe back-to-back nights have favoured the Leafs this year..or at least they've been equal (winning sets and losing them - I'm too lazy to look it up).

My guess is depending on how they do in the first few games (and how other teams do round them) will determine the direction Burke goes come deadline.

01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I'm sure the other teams in the hunt have easy schedules.
Some actually do.

Just for a quick look-up, I checked Ottowa's schedule for Feb and Mar. They play 3 (or 4?) fewer games and have only 5 back to back nights; that's 3 fewer than the Leafs.

So yes, it stands to reason that some teams have already experienced their tough schedule months.

Old
01-29-2012, 11:01 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
One thing I've noticed over the past few years specifically is when it comes to the Leafs there are no easy or tough schedules. Every-time I expect them to win, they lose (and vice versa). However, I don't believe back-to-back nights have favoured the Leafs this year..or at least they've been equal (winning sets and losing them - I'm too lazy to look it up).

My guess is depending on how they do in the first few games (and how other teams do round them) will determine the direction Burke goes come deadline.
I remember hearing a talking head on the TV while the Leafs were in a back to back nights type game and he said that league wide the percentage of wins on the second night was atrociously low <--- paraphrasing of course.

Old
01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
BlueBaron

I think Winnipeg, Washington and New Jersey matter more at this point, though have to think Washington owns a spot I guess.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I think Winnipeg, Washington and New Jersey matter more at this point, though have to think Washington owns a spot I guess.
Winnipeg is not catching up. It's Ottawa you should replace them with.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:27 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Winnipeg is not catching up. It's Ottawa you should replace them with.
Depends, If the Leafs win the next 2 and Winnipeg loses the next 2, then you can say they're someone we don't have to care about anymore. But yea I can agree, the Devils, Sens and Caps/Panthers are the one's we gotta worry about.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

We have four back to back n majority are play off bubble teams, excluding canucks, sharks n flyers. Penguins back to back all have to focus on Malkin who has been insane!

01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

Our fate lies in our hands this year. Clean up or be cleaned up.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
eyeball11

This is why I hoped we'd do better in the 14 post Christmas games. Oh well, end of the day, fate is in their own hands.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:07 PM
number72

Leaf's play 15 games in 30 days.
And leafs have 3 games on Senators who will play less often then a game every other day.

The challenge is for the leafs to keep pace with a more rested team.
And it is a shame the leafs couldn't keep pace with senators when they had more game earlier in the first half of the season.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Is it me or have the Leafs had, and will have, a ridiculous number of back to back games this season?

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
imthinking

Hanta yo, baby.

imthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Is it me or have the Leafs had, and will have, a ridiculous number of back to back games this season?
17 in total

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Some actually do.

Just for a quick look-up, I checked Ottowa's schedule for Feb and Mar. They play 3 (or 4?) fewer games and have only 5 back to back nights; that's 3 fewer than the Leafs.

So yes, it stands to reason that some teams have already experienced their tough schedule months.
Ya, Ottawa also plays the Bruins FOUR more times, we play them twice. We can play this game all day.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM
SteveV*

Leafs also close the season with Buff, Buff, TB and Mtl, all teams that will be thinking about golfing.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Leafs also close the season with Buff, Buff, TB and Mtl, all teams that will be thinking about golfing.
Ya, my original post and subsequent replies have all been about the amount of games in the schedule not necessarily about who the opponents are. They actually have a tougher March schedule if you factor in who they are playing, on top of the sheer number of games in that month, plus the 4 back to back nights.

Basically, the Leafs will be in tough for Feb and Mar. High volume of games, 8 back to back nights, plus some really tough opponents in Mar. As some other posters have said, they've squandered the easier part of their schedule and now need to bear down and grind out some victories.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:44 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Ya, my original post and subsequent replies have all been about the amount of games in the schedule not necessarily about who the opponents are. They actually have a tougher March schedule if you factor in who they are playing, on top of the sheer number of games in that month, plus the 4 back to back nights.

Basically, the Leafs will be in tough for Feb and Mar. High volume of games, 8 back to back nights, plus some really tough opponents in Mar. As some other posters have said, they've squandered the easier part of their schedule and now need to bear down and grind out some victories.
I'd argue it's not really any different from other teams, and looking at their competition, I see a ton of winnable games. It's more about momentum than schedule for me.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
I'd argue it's not really any different from other teams, and looking at their competition, I see a ton of winnable games. It's more about momentum than schedule for me.
I was taking into consideration days of rest, or how few they will have compared to the Jan schedule.

In fact, Oct is the only other month they played as many games, and even then they had fewer back to back nights. If you take Feb and Mar together, they play a ton of games in very few days. No other two month span in the schedule came even close.

Good thing they're a young team, because they'll need all the help they can get to recuperate over that grind.

Edit: I do agree that momentum will be huge at this point. Get on a roll, and being tired will not be as big of a factor. Of course, loose enough games in a row and the tiredness will factor in hugely on whether they can regain ground.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Tough or easy it's going to be a dog fight to the end. We are still evolving as a team, and at the same having some pieces still missing in the team

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote