HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate-a-player ( Habs And Non-habs )

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2004, 08:45 PM
FTK

vCash: 500
Rate-a-player ( Habs And Non-habs )

#22 Steve Bégin 06/14/1978 5'11''/190lbs can play all forward position
2003-04 Mtl. 52 10g 5a 15pts +6 41Pim

The player : Steve Bégin is a very good 4th line player. He is undersized for the agitator role and he has been injury prone for most of his career. He's an average skater with great skating speed. His shot is pretty good but his stickhandling is above-average at best. He's a terrific open-ice hitter and he hits often, who will fight with players of his size, but you can't count on him to replace Langdon . Perhaps his best attributes are a desire to win at all times and a Warrior's heart.
He's mostly used on the 4th line and PK, and can fill in on the 3rd line from time to time. He's been great so far on the PK and has has done well when he was promoted to the checking line.

The Future :Steve Bégin is still young and could mature into a 40pt player who pots 25 goals every year. Theres also a good possibility that he will never be more then a 4th liner in the NHL. In either case, his salary not being a problem for the habs management, he is definitly a keeper for the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
10-18-2004, 08:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK

The player : Steve Bégin is a very good 4th line player. He is undersized for the agitator role and he has been injury prone for most of his career. He's an average skater with great skating speed. His shot is pretty good but his stickhandling is above-average at best. He's a terrific open-ice hitter and he hits often, who will fight with players of his size, but you can't count on him to replace Langdon . Perhaps his best attributes are a desire to win at all times and a Warrior's heart.
He's mostly used on the 4th line and PK, and can fill in on the 3rd line from time to time. He's been great so far on the PK and has has done well when he was promoted to the checking line.

The Future :Steve Bégin is still young and could mature into a 40pt player who pots 25 goals every year. Theres also a good possibility that he will never be more then a 4th liner in the NHL. In either case, his salary not being a problem for the habs management, he is definitly a keeper for the Montreal Canadiens.
He really is an agitator, for players and fans alike. Remember how much Boston fans hated him during the playoffs?

Old
10-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

He will never score 25 goals! He's good and mostly every teams would like him on their team but not for his scoring ability...

Old
10-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK

You say there is a good possibility that he will never be more than a 4th liner, but than how can he have a good chance of poting 25 goals a season consistently

I think Begin is a 8-10 goal guy, whos a great fourth line agitator or avg third line agitator. Nothing more, nothing less.........

Old
10-18-2004, 09:18 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
You say there is a good possibility that he will never be more than a 4th liner, but than how can he have a good chance of poting 25 goals a season consistently

I think Begin is a 8-10 goal guy, whos a great fourth line agitator or avg third line agitator. Nothing more, nothing less.........

I agree 100% . And as long as management keeps the same frame of mind his contract should keep him affordable and worth keeping .

Old
10-18-2004, 11:10 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

One thing I noticed about Begin his that he's got a great wrister and he aims the top corners and misses them by not so much. He could end up scoring more than 8-10 goals. Approx 15 goals is what he could get imo.

Old
10-18-2004, 11:34 PM
FTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

I didn't say he has a good chance of poting 25 goals a season. I said he could, it's his upside.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:38 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Begin is pretty good, but on my 4th line in my NHL 2005 where I score like 12 goals a game, he finished with 15, so I doubt he gets 25, even if that is his upside, I doubt he ever gets the shot to do it.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Begin is pretty good, but on my 4th line in my NHL 2005 where I score like 12 goals a game, he finished with 15, so I doubt he gets 25, even if that is his upside, I doubt he ever gets the shot to do it.
This year's NHL version is not too representative of actual hockey, but I have to say, Bégin doesn't have an upside of 25 goals/season IMO. I think 15 goals on a 4th line, with all the offensive minded prospects we have in the system, would be quite good, as he should not be asked to score goals in a few years. His role will be pretty straight forward: crash & bang other teams' players.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
This year's NHL version is not too representative of actual hockey, but I have to say, Bégin doesn't have an upside of 25 goals/season IMO. I think 15 goals on a 4th line, with all the offensive minded prospects we have in the system, would be quite good, as he should not be asked to score goals in a few years. His role will be pretty straight forward: crash & bang other teams' players.
I love it, it's a lot of fun. If I wanted to play real hockey, I would grab my stick and skates and go to the arena.

Old
10-19-2004, 02:20 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
Steve Bégin is still young and could mature into a 40pt player who pots 25 goals every year.
In what league? Never would he come close to doing that consistently in the NHL. He doesn't bring a lot of points, but I love everything else he brings. He's a great fourth liner, and I hope he's around for a while.

Old
10-19-2004, 02:57 AM
leafaholix*

He hasn't scored 20 goals in one season of his career at any level, the chances of him potting 25 in the NHL is nil.

Old
10-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Darz

Begin is a great 4th liner, a decent 3rd liner but not much more than that. I think if he tops out his potential he could be a really decent 3rd liner. His value will never be measure in goals or assists.

Old
10-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Alexander Ovechkin

Begin is a good 4 th line player . He can have 20 points in one season ! A good player !!

Old
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
tmc

begin scored 10 g in 52 games last year playing mostly on the 4th line 25 is obviously a reach but he does have a bit of offence in him....

Closed Thread