HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How critical is 1st place in the West this year?

Old
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
The drop off from 7th place to 8th is too huge to drop the ball now. We have the advantage of being in a weaker division, having the central beat each other up and having an easier road ahead.

Last year we got the Presidents trophy and for our reward we had to face the Hawks in the first round.
I'm hoping for a better fate this year.
Well Had Dallas not blown it that may have changed alot of things for the team, but perhaps they would've taken the Preds lightly and lost.

One thing the Hawks did was show this team how hard they have to work to win.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Well Had Dallas not blown it that may have changed alot of things for the team, but perhaps they would've taken the Preds lightly and lost.

One thing the Hawks did was show this team how hard they have to work to win.
A lot of ifs could've played out last season had we gotten an easier opponent.

The Hawks series was definitely entertaining. Had they kept their composure and swept them in four I wouldn't complain we faced them in the first round. Really dissapointed we let the Hawks crawl back in. I say it proves to be a lesson this years playoffs.

My objective thought process would've been a sweep of Dallas.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

The way the standing are now, I think it's extremely critical. You if can get one of Minny, Dallas, Calgary, Colorado or Phoenix(They are in between 55 -52pts) which imo would be 4-5 game series instead of potentially getting Chicago or LA would probably be 6-7 game series.

As we learned from year rest extremely important and less travel we have to do the better.

NucksOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
billvanseattle

just looking over the remaining schedule and damn we have a pretty easy run of it ....

It really depends on who is fighting for the 7-8 spots near the end. If Dallas is done, Colorado done and Ana ... Then in our last 17 games one team is presently in a playoff spot, assuming that Minn continues to dive. Of course, someone has to finish in 8th?

RIght now Pho, Cal, Dal, Col and Minn are fighting it out for that last spot, and in their last 10 games the best any of them has done is 11 points by Cal. I guess one of the teams will catch on fire for a while and pull away.

After Chi and Det this week, we only have Nash 2 times, Det, Chi, StL and LA who are presently playing well. So after Thur, we have 6 of 31 games against elite teams, where one can argue there are 11-12 elite teams in the league.

Of course, we ahve managed some of our ugliest losses this year against bottom feeders.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksOnly View Post
The way the standing are now, I think it's extremely critical. You if can get one of Minny, Dallas, Calgary, Colorado or Phoenix(They are in between 55 -52pts) which imo would be 4-5 game series instead of potentially getting Chicago or LA would probably be 6-7 game series.

As we learned from year rest extremely important and less travel we have to do the better.
I think this was overplayed from last year. It wasn't due to the lack of rest that we weren't able to seal the Cup. It was due to unfortunate fluky injuries that we had (along with some overall lack of scoring and poor goaltending).

We had 8 days of rest between San Jose and Boston. That is more than enough time to get over any possible fatigue issues that we were having, especially when you consider Boston went to 7 games with the Lightning and only got 5 days of rest.

Overall, in my opinion, it comes down way more to luck in avoiding injuries than it comes down to keeping rested. I would argue the Canucks got better each consecutive series through last year's playoffs with less rest before each one. The series that we played the worst in was the one where we had ample amount of rest. It was the injuries that killed us.

clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
billvanseattle

well it also helps if you can slash players and break their fingers and get diving penalties for it ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
well it also helps if you can slash players and break their fingers and get diving penalties for it ...
This. Also shouldn't matter if we get 1st or 2nd in the West. Obviously the less travel the better, but theoretically we shouldn't need home ice every round to win series if our team is good enough.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
This. Also shouldn't matter if we get 1st or 2nd in the West. Obviously the less travel the better, but theoretically we shouldn't need home ice every round to win series if our team is good enough.
If our team is good enough then we will have home ice for at least 2 rounds...

01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Vajakki

It's critical. Right now there seems to be a big difference in talent after that seventh team and as everyone saw last year, it's a big deal how many games you play in the postseason.

That being said facing LA in the first round wouldn't be a bad thing either (time zone), and you don't have to win conference for that.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
It's critical. Right now there seems to be a big difference in talent after that seventh team and as everyone saw last year, it's a big deal how many games you play in the postseason.

That being said facing LA in the first round wouldn't be a bad thing either (time zone), and you don't have to win conference for that.
LA has a tough time scoring, so they would be the least scary team. As well the last 2 playoff losses loom over that team. If Vancouver jumped out early they could have some mental issues.

Team I don't want to play: Chicago. Will be a tough hard series that could wear the Canucks down prematurely.

Old
02-01-2012, 01:20 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Last year we got it, we also got 3 series with more home games than away games yet still only traveled a fraction of what the eventual stanley cup winners did

At this point I think travel is a key factor, home ice equals less travel in most cases, that has to count for something

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:37 AM
flack

It has now become more critical since Anaheim is projected to make the 8th seed.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Pyewacket

Fewer games per series is critical, not so much because of exhaustion (though that matters somewhat). Rather, it's important because fewer games means less chance of opponents trying and maybe succeeding in injuring our players. Didn't Kes get injured in Game 5? What if he hadn't had to play a game 5 (not possible in that series I know, but you see my point)?

Pyewacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:57 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket View Post
Fewer games per series is critical, not so much because of exhaustion (though that matters somewhat). Rather, it's important because fewer games means less chance of opponents trying and maybe succeeding in injuring our players. Didn't Kes get injured in Game 5? What if he hadn't had to play a game 5 (not possible in that series I know, but you see my point)?
Yes I see your point, but Canucks really sucked at closing series. 4 tries against Chicago, 2 against Nashville, lucky one against SJ (cuz refs missed an offside call), and didn't do it against Boston. So better to hope for an easier opponent.

Last edited by flack: 02-01-2012 at 03:58 AM.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
LA has a tough time scoring, so they would be the least scary team. As well the last 2 playoff losses loom over that team. If Vancouver jumped out early they could have some mental issues.

Team I don't want to play: Chicago. Will be a tough hard series that could wear the Canucks down prematurely.
LA would wear us down just as, if not more than Chicago.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
LA would wear us down just as, if not more than Chicago.
No they wouldn't. LA is not as intense and they certainly are not a physical team. They also cannot score more than 2 goals a game it seems on most nights.

Of all those teams mentioned LA would be the least stressful, especially since they have lost in 6 games 2 playoffs in a row.

But I can see how Chicago would also be favorable.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
It has now become more critical since Anaheim is projected to make the 8th seed.
What? I would rather stay the hell away from Anaheim.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
KISSland

Out of all the teams in the west that frighten me I would say Chicago, Detroit, and Nashville/St. Louis.

Chicago for obvious reasons.

Detroit for their home record not to mention their playoff history. All their players seem to be rolling and their getting the best out of Howard right now(maybe he will be fatigue by the time the playoffs start?)

Nashville I think with the playoff experience they garnered last season. As well as this year could be the year they put all their eggs in a basket as Suter and Weber could potentially be traded/walk this off season. I'd say there's lots of pressure coming from the GM and the fans deserve to see a long run. I can see them adding an offensive threat in the Hossa range for their playoff run as well as some forward depth.

St. Louis is the darkhouse of the west I would say. They've got a system their that seems to be working and Hitchcock has really turned around their season. They're getting solid goaltending and have that work ethic and "gritty' game to string some wins together.

Kings have our number this season but I don't know if that will translate in the playoffs.

All in all I would say the west will be real tough this year. I hope Gillis does everything in his power to use all the resources possible to maximize the potential of this team.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
A lot of ifs could've played out last season had we gotten an easier opponent.

The Hawks series was definitely entertaining. Had they kept their composure and swept them in four I wouldn't complain we faced them in the first round. Really dissapointed we let the Hawks crawl back in. I say it proves to be a lesson this years playoffs.

My objective thought process would've been a sweep of Dallas.
two things #2 the big hit from torres woke up hawks.....

#1 the mental block of beating the hawks (from prvious two meetings played a big part)..If we play the same way and are up 3-0..think this time its over in 4 or 5

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
What? I would rather stay the hell away from Anaheim.
Wasn't that Anahiem team the one everyone wanted to avoid last year as well? The one that let in more goals than one can count vs the Predators.... the Predators.

They were massively outscored by the Predators!?!?!

They should not scare anyone, especially the Canucks.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
No they wouldn't. LA is not as intense and they certainly are not a physical team. They also cannot score more than 2 goals a game it seems on most nights.

Of all those teams mentioned LA would be the least stressful, especially since they have lost in 6 games 2 playoffs in a row.

But I can see how Chicago would also be favorable.
I guess you didn't see our loss to them in LA a few weeks back...

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I guess you didn't see our loss to them in LA a few weeks back...
I did... LA is playing for their playoff lives... Vancouver slept through that game. Come playoff time it will be a different story, and I would suspect the kings will be more tired and banged up from their drive to get a higher seed.

No the worst team for Vancouver is Chicago, or the Blues. That is the one team I would not want the Canucks to play. Blues would be a nasty piece of business.

But it illustrates why getting the top seed is so vital. Minny, Col, Ana, or Pho... yeah I am confident the Canucks would take any one of those as an opponent in the 1st round.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post

#1 the mental block of beating the hawks (from prvious two meetings played a big part)..If we play the same way and are up 3-0..think this time its over in 4 or 5
Bolland coming back nearly won it for the Hawks. We were cruising, Bolland comes back and suddenly we are in big trouble barley snuck out a win going 1-3 in his 4 games, outscoring the Canucks 17-7

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Bolland coming back nearly won it for the Hawks. We were cruising, Bolland comes back and suddenly we are in big trouble barley snuck out a win going 1-3 in his 4 games, outscoring the Canucks 17-7
That had more to do with the Canucks than Bolland. Kane said it himself, they thought they would at least win the 1 game at home, not be embarassed by a sweep, but when the Canucks put in such a pitiful effort in game 5 it gave the Hawks life.

Had nothing really to do with the Bolland, and everything to do with the Canucks. As well Crawford played lights out... was sick. Vancouver should've had some 3+ goal leads in some games, includung game 6 where if not for Crawford that game never gets to OT, let alone the 3 10 bell saves he makes in OT to set up the Smith winner...

But it was all Bolland...

Old
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post

It's funny how usually when a hit like that is thrown the team with the player that threw the hit would give them more life but just didn't work that way when you're facing the Canucks.

I still find some of these excuses to be poor..

I mean the teams mental toughness(as in its psyche) is deflating when facing the hawks.

And to the poster suggesting Holland was the reason is upsetting to see too I mean wasn't byfuglien the Canucks kryptonite?

Still though I agree if we are up in the series we will finish them a lot sooner now.