HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Cyber-NHL

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
I.am.ca

vCash: 500
Cyber-NHL

What happened to this site?

For the past 3 days its been down or whatever, did they change the URL or something?

its not www.cyber-nhl.net anymore thats for sure.

ANy help would be appreciated, thank you.

Old
10-19-2004, 05:44 AM
Flyer765

"Under Construction" usually means just that, they are probably chnging large parts of the website, that require it to be taken down for a few days.

Old
10-19-2004, 03:28 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
no clue, been wondering as well.

Old
10-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

There is a thread about this over at Suchy_63's boards (the guy who created NHLview), which you can find here.

The most interesting post is from some guy who is contact with one of the main mods at Cyber NHL (djohns74), and the mod had this to say in a PM:

Quote:
I actually have no information myself. I sent an e-mail to Tim [the creator of Cyber-NHL], but haven't heard back. I don't know if he checks his hotmail account though. My best guess at the moment is that Tim is out of town or otherwise away from his computer for the last few days, that there's trouble with the host and he's the only one that can contact them to resolve it. In that case, I'd fully expect it to return at some point tomorrow, maybe even tonight.

He could also have been forced, for one reason or another, to look for a new host suddenly. It might take a couple of days to find one, and then a couple more days for DNS to get set up and propogated. Again, in which case, I'd expect it to return in the next couple of days.

Anything else that I can think of would have been resolved by now, except, of course, if Tim decided to shut down out of the blue. But I'm 99.9% sure that this isn't the case; we were in the middle of making plans for the new file server and whatnot, so whatever's causing this, it's involuntary, I'm sure.
Seems strange, I think its been down for like a whole week now.

Old
10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
go_leafs_go02

two weeks and counting in a few days.

i really miss the place, even though i mod at a different forum for hockey, (fair sized, about 1500 members) I still enjoy Cyber-NHL a lot.

btw Lehtonen32, is there a way to get your link to work? its not working for me. EDIT..it only works with internet explorer, for some reason, Mozilla Firefox doesn't work.

Old
10-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02
two weeks and counting in a few days.

i really miss the place, even though i mod at a different forum for hockey, (fair sized, about 1500 members) I still enjoy Cyber-NHL a lot.

btw Lehtonen32, is there a way to get your link to work? its not working for me. EDIT..it only works with internet explorer, for some reason, Mozilla Firefox doesn't work.
I use Mozilla too, its just been down as well the last few days..

Does it actually work in IE?

Old
10-26-2004, 04:32 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
I use Mozilla too, its just been down as well the last few days..

Does it actually work in IE?
i get only get on the main site, If I click the link to go into the forum, a bad gateway message pops up on my screen.

man, this is frustrating.

Old
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02
i get only get on the main site, If I click the link to go into the forum, a bad gateway message pops up on my screen.

man, this is frustrating.

http://www.doubleminor.net/forums/

Old
10-26-2004, 05:19 PM
I.am.ca

How though?

Cyber NHL was going to team up with TP, well pretty much takeover.
Then one day they just up in disappear on us, what gives?

Old
10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.am.ca
How though?

Cyber NHL was going to team up with TP, well pretty much takeover.
Then one day they just up in disappear on us, what gives?
I thought they teamed up ages ago..

Old
10-26-2004, 08:02 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Russ (the TP administrator) basically dumped everyone into Cyber with no notice. That didn't go over to well. Chaos ensued, and a bit later the DMD (which was at the time, part of TP) staff saved us by opening the Double Minor Hockey Network, which is where almost all of the old TPers ended up. Yeah, wasn't too much of a team up. :p

Old
10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
I.am.ca

OK, is Suchy's site gone too? just tried his link...not workin.

WHAT THE HELL IS up with the ADD ONS SITES!!

Old
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
brodeurfanatic

Hey guys!

the answer is here!

For all you people thats been visiting this website, you may be wondering why it hasn't been working.

Well i got this from devilsrule.com posted by Hellsempire

http://www.devilsrule.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=103150

Thanks for dropping me an email concerning Cyber NHL. This is just a friendly reply letting you know of what's going on.

I'll put it bluntly and then go more in-depth, Cyber NHL will no longer be online. Obviously, your next question is why.

Well, as you may or may not know (I haven't really shared this with too many online users in the past, unfortunately) I am a God fearing, Bible believing man. I believe that my God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to this earth to save the world from condemnation (John 3:16, 17, Romans 5:11) and provide freely the gift of eternal life. I also believe that my God is a good God and that He seeks to have a two-way communication relationship with me (James 4:8, Luke 19:10) and anyone else who accepts Jesus as their Saviour. I also know that He loves and cares for everyone in this world (John 3:16), whether they believe it or not. I am living proof of that, there's no way I am worthy of what was and is given to me by God.

So now that I got through the background of this decision I'll let you know why this all happened. A few months ago I felt that God was telling me to leave Cyber NHL so I could move onto different things. Well, being the ignorant fellow I was I just fluffed it off and thought in a few months maybe I'll pass it onto to one of Cyber NHL's dedicated staff members. Anyways, on the night of October 13, 2004 God once again spoke to me and this time it was loud and clear, I had to close down Cyber NHL and move on. It was also clear that I was not supposed to pass it on to a staff member (to me that seemed quite unfortunate). Early on October 14 I shutdown Cyber NHL and we are where we are today.

Now, I want you to realize that I did not want to close Cyber NHL, it was not that type of deal. I personally thought I'd be running it for 7 more years (at least), it was that fun and interesting. However, I have learned (the hard way) that when God speaks to you, you need to listen. So I have. I would like to thank and bless all those who visited and helped out with Cyber NHL over the years, it was truly a pleasure.

What am I up to now? Well, I am finishing off my college degree up here in Toronto and will be totally finished by the end of December 2004. I will not be visiting or posting on any hockey related forums so this may be the last time you hear from me. I am currently and will be more involved in the gaming industry when I am finished school so for some in the NHL gaming community, we may meet up again.

So this is goodbye. The one thing I would ask of you is that you forward this message to those who may ask you about this whole situation rather than explaining it yourself. It may just be easier that way.

Thanks again for all your support and help!

God Bless,

Tim Broomer

R.I.P.-Cyber-NHL 10/14/2004

-------------------------------------------------

Wow, well i guess its the end of it.

And Tim did the right thing to close the website and move on. I bet it was really hard for him to make that choice, but in the end, it was the right choice to make.

I guess God had spoken to him about the things more important in life.

Which is to
“Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world” (Matthew 28:19-20).

Does anyone here know where i can contact him?

Last edited by brodeurfanatic: 10-28-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old
10-28-2004, 10:11 AM
go_leafs_go02

that's not the greatest news from my perspective, but I do I understand where he is coming from, as I also am a fellow Christian. Often I feel that hockey, along with the computer, takes over my life in a way that is not right. I put it before more important things in life, which is wrong in my opinion. Good luck to Tim with what he does from now on, and God Bless him.

Old
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

What a load of absolute rubbish. This guy should of stayed off the drugs, or if he isn't on drugs, perhaps he should be. 'God told me not to hand Cyber NHL over to anybody else', wow God, thanks for that brilliant insight. Good to see he's fixing the important evils in life such as Cyber NHL, who cares about starving kids in Africa eh?

:mad:

Old
10-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Zoo

I believe in god, but I think he's got better things to do than telling him to close a cyber-nhl... come on.

Old
10-29-2004, 05:20 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
I believe in god, but I think he's got better things to do than telling him to close a cyber-nhl... come on.
I don't believe in god, but even if I did I'd agree with you here. Why would god tell Tim not to hand cyber nhl over to a committed staff member? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Old
10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Deion Sanders are you here?

Old
10-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I.am.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
I don't believe in god, but even if I did I'd agree with you here. Why would god tell Tim not to hand cyber nhl over to a committed staff member? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Maybe he was selfish and didn't want his site to go in a better direction as in when he had it.

Whatever, he wanted to be selfish and close it then fine, but he screwed over alot of people that uploaded their stuff and the guys that would have kept the site going, he didnt give them a chance.

Oh well.

Old
10-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Zoo

For those of you who want to download files at cyber here's a link. Get in fast cause it won't be open for long.

http://www.cyber-nhl.net:8081/files/...=&searchWhere=

Old
10-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Woody 94

Never heard so much sanctimonius ******** in all my life. Tim you selfish, selfish man. I truly believe you used your religious beliefs as an excuse to drop a lot of cyber nhl'ers into internet limbo. Why not pass on the web site to another admin? I loved your site man and you have not just let us all down but soured the memory of cybernhl.

R.I.P. Cybernhl. (Murdered 2004)

Old
10-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Moose161

First off I would just like to say thank you to Brodeurfanatic and Zoo, I have been searching everywhere to find out what happened to Cyber-NHL. And when I read what happened, my first thought was how I was going to recover my add-ons I uploaded. I had been there 3 years and for sure I thought they would be gone, but Zoo came up with the link. Now regarding Tim's decision to close the site, I respect it even if I don't like it. It was his and Mike's site when it first started, and he had put a lot of work and money into the site, if he wanted to close it he should be able to.

Old
10-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Elektrenai

Send a message via MSN to Elektrenai
As mentioned by others, I thank those responsible for providing information as to the reason for cyber-nhl's disappearance. I was wondering what had happened.

That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard for closing down a website. You can't be serious. Did his alphabits cereal spell a message out to him?

I'm not religious. And I don't have a problem with people that worship a religion. You can go to a place of worship, and follow a set of rules that encourage a good natured life. And you can thank your Lord for your success. That's great, I'm happy for you.

But when **** like this happens, that's when I start to have a problem with religion. You have people making total rash decisions out of no where. And then you have fanatics getting in the way of scientific progress, and nut jobs going on rampages.

Cyber-Nhl was a great environment. It was the right amount of people and a great source of information on hockey with concise facts followed by enlightened opinions. And it was never so large that it got cluttered.

But now God has stepped in and ordered it shut down. Give me a break.

I have to go, God is ordering me to take a piss.

Old
11-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Yeah, it was a major shock for all the members there, myself included. I had been going to Cyber NHL for a few years and had been posting on the forums for over two years... nearly 11,000 posts later and it just... died. I've spoken with Tim 'Avman33' Broomer on many occasions since signing up at his site and not once did I ever think he was such a believer in God, especially with Cyber NHL getting the rights to talk with EA Sports during developmental stages of NHL 2005 and holding the summit where members from Cyber NHL were flown out to Vancouver by EA to testplay NHL 2005.

I haven't talked to him for a month or so and I don't know when I'll get the chance to talk to him again.

I respect his decision and everything he's done for the community... I just wish he had given a notice or passed the site on to one of his members.

My apologies for not forwarding the end of Cyber NHL to you guys when Avman replied (on the 27th) to one of the mods' (normin007) e-mail asking what was up with the site.

Anyway, most of the members there have gone to either or both http://www.doubleminor.net/ and http://www.intheslot.net (which was recently made by a veteran member, NJD_the_Great... now known as NJDfan1711, from Cyber NHL).

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-01-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old
11-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

wtf........man, Tim really must have been hitting the pipe hard. I honestly thought that was a hoax. Remember when he had CN down, and he said: I never thought this day would come when CNHL closed down, and here we are. Then we all found out he was joking. I don't think this is a joke, but if it is.......you got me good.

Closed Thread