HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Survivor Playoffs Discussion

Old
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Vito_81

vCash: 500
Sabres Survivor Playoffs Discussion

As of this year we've added a little twist on our annual Survivor game.

I want to get some feedback on how exactly we all think the playoff format should work.

BuiltTagonTough has been so very helpful in keeping track of the standings for all Survivor contestants. Originally the plan was to keep a running tally and at a certain point of the season, the top 20 would advance to the Survivor playoffs in a battle to crown the Ultimate Sabres Survivor for 2011-2012. Then, a great idea was suggested that all winners of Survivor games throughout the season gain automatic entry into the playoffs. Which has now been instituted.

However the dilemma begins with how to determine a Playoff Champ.

I have been thinking of different ways of conducting the playoffs and have come up with 3 ideas.

Scenario 1- Same format as regular season: The tried, tested and true method of Survivor. The 20 playoff contestants are eligible for all Survivor Playoff Games. If they fail to make a correct selection they're eliminated from that game and must wait for the next Survivor game to make selections. Whoever has the most Playoff wins at the end of it all is the winner. Playoffs end after the Sabres have completed their final regular season game. If there is a tie for amount of Playoff wins, (eg. two contestants with 2 wins) total correct selections in the playoffs will be the tie-breaker.

Scenario 2- Most correct selections wins: Probably the simplest way to determine a Playoff winner. All 20 playoff contestants make selections for every remaining Sabres regular season game. The contestant with the most correct selections at the end of the season is the Survivor winner. Incorrect selections (player selected fails to record a point) do NOT result in elimination. Can't select the same player in consecutive games and can only select each Sabre a maximum of 5 times in the playoffs.

Scenario 3- NHL Playoffs Style: Definitely the most complicated, yet my favorite way to determine a Survivor Champ. The 24 playoff contestants are broken into NHL playoff style seedings. Game One Survivor winner v contestant 24, Game Two Survivor Winner v contestant 23, etc, etc. The playoffs are broken into 4 stages of 5 game matchups(meaning the Playoffs begin Feb 29). Each contestant can only select a player one time in each round of the Survivor Playoffs(eg Vanek just one time, Pominville just one time). Incorrect selections do NOT result in elimination. The contestant with the most correct selections in their head-to-head series advances to the next round. Any tied series' after the 5 games will be broken using total goals of the 5 players selected, then total points followed by total assists. The first round gets us from 24 to 12, then we'll go from 12 to 6 and once again from 6 to 3. The final 3 Survivors will battle it out in a 3 way series to determine the Ultimate Survivor.

Which of the three playoff formats do you prefer?

Any suggestions on another playoff method we could use?

Any other suggestions (eg, how many contestants should qualify, when playoffs should begin?)

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

I personally like them in order 3,2,1, with 1 a distant last because the people that got in deserve to have the playoffs last long, not get knocked out in one day. I don't have any other suggestions for a playoff method. I like either starting on February 29th for option 3 so it's an even 20 games or if option 2, just set the playoff start date as March 1st which leaves 19 games and it's easy enough to remember.

Also, just for clarification, say we use option 3, the spots would be filled with x survivor game winners and the rest would be the top 24-x people in the standings? And if your standings are updated BTT, if you could post them in here or the current game's thread I'd appreciate it. Last I checked I was tied at the top but have no idea if I'm still that high.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I'll post updated standing after work tonight. (I'm in til 11, home around 11:30 EST)

And I also prefer 3,2,1. Now we just need a date to strart. Say...first game after the trade deadline? Start the playoffs after this current round is finished?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Also, just for clarification, say we use option 3, the spots would be filled with x survivor game winners and the rest would be the top 24-x people in the standings? .
That is correct.

So far that's 3 votes for the 3rd playoff scenario.

Old
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
And I also prefer 3,2,1. Now we just need a date to strart. Say...first game after the trade deadline? Start the playoffs after this current round is finished?
If option 3 is decided upon, we start Feb 29 for sure. If 1 or 2 win, we'll all have to agree upon a start time, but probably early March at the latest.

Old
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
I like scenario #3. People who do well throughout the year should get some benefit.... kind of like the extra ping pong balls the Sabres got in the Crosby-Zaprapan draft year........... Never mind.

Ron C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Number 3, for sure. Seems to have the most "juice" in it.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Stockey
Let's Go Buffalo!

3 would be a lot of fun.

Stockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Afino
The Juice

One problem with 3:

Quote:
Any tied series' after the 5 games will be broken using total goals of the 5 players selected, then total points followed by total assists
if goals and points are the same, assists would be too

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:40 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
One problem with 3:

You and your crazy "logic".

Alright folks, long night and I have no intention of being up much longer. I promise the standings will be up by 12:30 EST tomorrow, or may I be flogged by the lot of you.

G'night all.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
One problem with 3:

You and your foolish math

But yeah, a new third tie breaker would be required.

Old
01-31-2012, 07:11 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
You and your foolish math

But yeah, a new third tie breaker would be required.
Is the tiebreaker applied for the total 5 games or for each game they were picked (i.e. if I chose Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Myers in that order, is the tiebreak based on the sum total of what those players scored in the 5 games overall, or rather what Vanek scored in Game 1 + Pominville in Game 2 + Roy in Game 3 + Stafford in Game 4 +Myers in Game 5)?

Also additional suggestion: give the higher seed "home pick advantage" in games 1, 2, and 5 (and the lower seed in 3, 4). Basically, they pick first and then the other team can't choose the same player (unlike regular season rules). This could help reduce number of ties and gives an advantage to those who performed better in the regular season. Of course, home poster picks would be due much earlier to give the road poster a chance to pick before game time (if a certain point is past, then home pick advantage is forfeited for that game). Could also add an element of strategy knowing you could "lock out" the other person from picking a player by picking him first on the days you have home pick advantage.

Last edited by New Sabres Captain: 01-31-2012 at 07:18 AM.
New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:22 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Is the tiebreaker applied for the total 5 games or for each game they were picked (i.e. if I chose Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Myers in that order, is the tiebreak based on the sum total of what those players scored in the 5 games overall, or rather what Vanek scored in Game 1 + Pominville in Game 2 + Roy in Game 3 + Stafford in Game 4 +Myers in Game 5)?

Also additional suggestion: give the higher seed "home pick advantage" in games 1, 2, and 5 (and the lower seed in 3, 4). Basically, they pick first and then the other team can't choose the same player (unlike regular season rules). This could help reduce number of ties and gives an advantage to those who performed better in the regular season. Of course, home poster picks would be due much earlier to give the road poster a chance to pick before game time (if a certain point is past, then home pick advantage is forfeited for that game). Could also add an element of strategy knowing you could "lock out" the other person from picking a player by picking him first on the days you have home pick advantage.
I was going to add something like what LDS posted in the second paragraph as I thought about it more. Personally, I feel like the top people in the standings should be seeder higher as they did more throughout the season instead of one week but just my opinion. And from my take LDS, it would be the points that they had in the games that you selected them.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Quote:
And from my take LDS, it would be the points that they had in the games that you selected them.
Fifa's got it right, The tie breaker would be the total goals and points of the players selected for the game that they were selected for. So it would be what Vanek scored in Game 1 + Pominville in Game 2 + Roy in Game 3 + Stafford in Game 4 +Myers in Game 5. It's not fair for somebody to advance because of a big game in game 5 by a player they chose for game 2.

Quote:
I was thinking about something similar to this and I do like the idea. However, as you mentioned, the home picks would have to be due very early. And with threads not always being posted early enough to some peoples likings as it is, it could lead to some issues, especially for any back-to-back game scenarios.

However, unlike regular season Survivor, there aren't any eliminations therefore dual game threads could be made (eg one thread for both Game 3 and Game 4). So perhaps the home pick advantage scenario may be a possibility afterall.

Quote:
I was going to add something like what LDS posted in the second paragraph as I thought about it more. Personally, I feel like the top people in the standings should be seeder higher as they did more throughout the season instead of one week but just my opinion.
You raise a valid point. And it's one that should put to debate. However situations occur like this in the current NHL playoff picture when teams in 4th and even 5th seeds have more points than the 3rd place division winner.

Personally, I still side with game winners getting the higher seeding over the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" guy who has accumulated more correct selections without winning a game.

What does everyone think. Top seedings go to the posters with the most points with game winners guarenteed playoff spots, or game winners automatically get the top seedings with the best of the rest filling out the remaining spots?

Old
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I'll vote for compromise. LDS mentioned doing standings based on points but giving "home pick" to the game winners, with home pick going to the higher seeded winner when two of them meet.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I'll vote for compromise. LDS mentioned doing standings based on points but giving "home pick" to the game winners, with home pick going to the higher seeded winner when two of them meet.
I like the idea.

Standings based on points with winners guaranteed spots.

two non winners meet---Home pick goes to most points
two winners meet---Home pick goes to points
one winner and one non winner.----Home pick goes to winner regardless of points.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
I like the idea.

one winner and one non winner.----Home pick goes to winner regardless of points.
Quote:
A play in game would definitely be a fair tie-breaker.

Old
01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Stockey
Let's Go Buffalo!

Quote:
I like the idea.

+1

I think that makes the most sense.

Stockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Vito_81

Seems to me like we've got the Playoff format all set up and ready to go.

Barring any objections of course.

Playoffs begin Feb 29th @ ANA:

Scenario 3- NHL Playoffs Style: The 24 playoff contestants are broken into NHL playoff style seedings based on the point standings. Anyone who won a Survivor game during the season automatically qualifies for the playoffs. Playoff format is: contestant 1(most points)v contestant 24(fewest points out of top 24), contestant 2 v contestant 23, etc, etc. The playoffs are broken into 4 stages of 5 game matchups. Each contestant can only select a player one time in each round of the Survivor Playoffs(eg Vanek just one time, Pominville just one time). Incorrect selections do NOT result in elimination. The contestant with the most correct selections in their head-to-head series advances to the next round. Any tied series' after the 5 games will be broken using total goals of the 5 players selected, then total points followed by most total shots. The first round gets us from 24 to 12, then we'll go from 12 to 6 and once again from 6 to 3. The final 3 Survivors will battle it out in a 3 way series to determine the Ultimate Survivor.

The target date to end the Sabres Survivor Regular Season Schedule is Feb 25th @ NYR.

However, If a tie for the final playoff spot(s) remains following Feb 25th @ NYR, The Los Angeles Kings @ Nashville Predators game on Feb 27th becomes the one game playoff tie-breaker game. Tied contestants must select a player from each team. Tie-breakers are as follows: most correct selections, total combined goals from selected players, total combined points from selected players, total shots on goal from selected players.

Last edited by Vito_81: 01-31-2012 at 06:21 PM.