HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arnott and Langenbrunner appreciation thread

Old
01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 500
Arnott and Langenbrunner appreciation thread

When these two were first signed I can't say I was happy about it (I thought there were much better options) but have been really surprised by them. Arnott is showing he still has it and has been good on the PP for us, the guy is still clutch. Langs, while his offense has dried up a bit he has been a good leader on the team. He is not afraid to jump into the middle of scrums and shake things up and always makes a smart play with the puck in the defensive and neutral zones.

Overall I feel like these two have been great so far this year and would not at all be against an extension for 1 or both next year (they would both likely be on 4th line though)

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

I liked both signings from the beginning. Langenbrunner hasn't been as effective offensively as I thought he could be, and there are certainly moments when I roll my eyes at some stupid thing he does, but for the most part, he's been an asset.

I could see re-upping Arnott, but, assuming everything else stays the same, I don't think there's room for Langenbrunner next year.

McDonald-Backes-Stewart
Perron-Berglund-Oshie
Steen-Sobotka-Tarasenko
And then some combination of Reaves, Crombeen, McRae, Porter, Schwartz, and Grachev.
No room for a non-scoring winger who doesn't absolutely kill people physically. A veteran, two-way center is the only thing that cuts into that depth. As much as I love Sobotka and McRae is probably ready, this is why I'd like to see the Blues go for somebody like Roy or Jussi Jokinen. This deadline if they can do it with picks and prospects. Three balanced lines, with Sobotka anchoring their fourth line as the center or left wing. Force McRae, Schwartz, and Grachev to really prove they belong.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
BlueDream

I like Arnott but Langenbrunner has been nothing special. I wasn't a huge fan of signing him at the time and still am not. He doesn't bring much to the table that we are lacking.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

I've gained a ton of respect for Langenbrunner. He's absolutely tenacious on the forecheck at times and sticks up for himself and his teammates quite well. He's also shown some good playmaking ability at times. I think he has been every bit of the lead-by-example veteran that Armstrong envisioned when he signed him and has probably helped some of the young guys buy into Hitchcock's system. He may not be scoring goals, but I think he's doing the kind of work that doesn't necessarily translate onto the scoresheet.

Arnott has been a nice addition too. The offensive pop that he has shown this season has helped us squeak by in some of those low-scoring games.

I was pretty "meh" on their signings (especially Langenbrunner) but both have worked out quite nicely here in St. Louis.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I was super happy to sign Arnott, not as excited about Langenbrunner, but I've grown to appreciate Langs more. He's a voice in the locker room that I think does more for this team than what we as fans see on the ice.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
langenbrunner still has a ton of energy, but that dude needs to work on scoring when the net is empty. I think his confidence is shot after missing so many tip ins.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
BlueBeard

Just imagine how many points this team would have without that cancerous Langenbrunner on the roster!

I was happy when we signed both and am still happy now. Two great additions to the team.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
rrude

Arnott has impressed me because although he moves pretty slowly and stiffly, he does a great job of knowing where to be and making the most of what movement he does have.

Living up in the NYC area I heard a lot about Langs breakup with Devs. I thought it was a dicey move to add him to the roster, since everyone seemed to agree he undermined the team in NJ. That said, the way the Blues have developed their team is exactly what he wanted the Devs to stick with so maybe it's just a case of good fit. His skills have definitely degraded, but the last few games I have been able to watch, he has impressed me with his effort.

Bottom line, though, the Blues needed some veteran presence so it was a good idea to start with.

rrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Beastman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I'd like to see the Blues go for somebody like Roy or Jussi Jokinen.
No thanks

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:41 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
No thanks
They win faceoffs, can score, and don't just play one-way hockey. Jokinen is good in shootouts. Both can help on the powerplay. And both could be good additions without trading a top prospect or a current roster player. I don't see the problem. I would also be cool with acquiring Saku Koivu, Moore, Vermette, or Cullen for a similar role.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

I would welcome a Jokinen addition, personally.

I don't see Roy being as useful this year, but I think he's a pretty decent bounce-back candidate for next year if the Blues can buy low. If the asking price for him is anywhere close to what's typically being thrown out by Buffalo fans, and it certainly could be given how bad their center situation is, how good Roy was before his surgery, and how badly they want to win now, then I would avoid him at all costs.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:52 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

So Arnott isn't playing lazy? Towards the end of his tenure in Nashville, he was always being pointed out for his laziness. He was also very unimpressive last year with the Devils/Caps. He was basically the exact opposite of what a captain needs to be. Maybe it's helped his game a little now that he isn't a captain?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 03:33 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
So Arnott isn't playing lazy? Towards the end of his tenure in Nashville, he was always being pointed out for his laziness. He was also very unimpressive last year with the Devils/Caps. He was basically the exact opposite of what a captain needs to be. Maybe it's helped his game a little now that he isn't a captain?
I've never noticed Arnott's being lazy. He's slow and sometimes he's kind of invisible, but it's never the bad kind of invisible. It's the kind where if you watch the replay, there was Arnott, back-checking really well, or making a simple decision that kept the play alive. He is pretty much never the victim of a take-away, especially at either blue line. When the puck has to get in deep, he gets it done and battles in the corners. His mobility doesn't allow him to drive the net relentlessly and battle like a madman, but he frequently goes to the tough areas - not something lazy players do.

It's almost certainly a matter of expectations and role. When Arnott last played for Nashville, he was one second per game away from the most icetime per game among their forwards (behind Legwand). Now, not including McDonald, who played 3 games, Arnott is 10th among Blues forwards in time on ice per game. You simply cannot compare Nashville's reliance on Arnott before and the Blues' reliance on him now. So impressions regarding his performance before and now, when he's good, bad, invisible, or otherwise, are going to be very different.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I think everyone acknowledges (and Hitchcock has made mention) of the fact that Arnott is too slow to play a 200 foot game. He plays smart, though, and he's put into roles where he can succeed without hurting his line. There have been several games where it was Arnott's hockey sense that produced a scoring chance that won the game.

I'm not sure that there will be room to bring him back next year, but I think Arnott has been a stabilizing influence on this young team. Both he and Langenbrunner have done pretty much exactly what they were brought in here to do.

Langenbrunner was on the top two lines early in the year, which was a bit surprising. He cooled off fast, or rather whatever chemistry with Backes / McDonald cooled off, and he went to the role we expected on the 3rd line.

If the team is fully healthy there is a good chance one or both of these guys is a 4th line option.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

I like Langenbrunner, but at $2.75m, he's too expensive for the fourth line. If he took a hefty paycut to about $1.8m, I'd love to have him next year.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Robb_K

Neither of them can play the minutes they once did. But, when the playoffs start, you will all see their main value to The Blues. They do a lot more than score. They are being paced in minutes during the season, so they'll be able to play more in the playoffs.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Frankly, I was simply happy to see the Blues acquired some veterans to help a very young team in transition. I was even more excited to see the vets were a pair of leaders who had battled deep in to the playoffs on a yearly basis and knew the requirements for a team to go through the ardurous season and the hell-ish playoff run.
Even if neither could play all that fabulously, their presence could/would be enough to even out a young team.

However, Arnott has definitely played to his billing and Langenbrunner...has been good enough.
When the Blues make the playoffs I have hope that these two will do much to help speed the transition from wide-eyed innocence to young veterans.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
columbiaNW

I'm not deluded into thinking Arnott is something he isn't, but IMO teams that have deep playoff runs can never have enough of his *type*. I think he's one of the smartest players in the league. What he lacks in (declining) physical attributes, he makes up for in smarts. I was surprised he didn't get more attention from teams in the summer.

As for Langenbrunner, I've always been back and forth with him over his career. I think he tends to get overrated a lot by hockey fans because of some of the teams he's been on. He always had a reputation for being one of the best defensive forwards in the game. But I do think he's overpaid, and I have heard he isn't the best 'room guy'.

columbiaNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:59 PM
stlweir

Arnott may be a bit slow but he is still effective when he gets a scoring chance. Langenbrunner seems to have picked up his skating. Maybe it's a figue newton of my imagination. They have both been solid contributers.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Speak for yourself, but most people that don't make the critical error of mistaking leg speed for quickness were perfectly happy with Arnott back in NJ. He was the ONLY thing working early in the season when under new coach John MacLean failure was at every turn. He is not flashy and never has looked like he's moving fast when it's his stride and style of skating. He tapered off towards the end but was demoted to the 3rd line and had the crappiest of linemates with no chemstry so I blame slotting more than his work ethic or skills.

I wanted Arnott back after going to the Caps and was sorry to see him go. Arnott's shot still is a sight to behold with such a small windup and the power he gets on it.

Langs, I'm surprised folks aren't frustrated with after he gave up on so many plays and couldn't finish to save his life and resorted to so many hooks and trips out of frustration when his younger linemates of Parise and Zajac zipped around the ice. ZZ-Pops line turned into the ZZ-Poops line before Parise got hurt. Maybe Hitch has revitalized him but I thought Hitch and Lemaire were two guys cut from the same cloth.

Langenbrunner was persona non grata after getting into it with Lemaire over the season prior and then refused to waive his NTC before the season and it was all downhill from there when MacLean's ineptitude had him ignoring Lang's laziness and openly sour attitude. Even his biggest fans were not sorry to see him go to Dallas where they went from a winning record to a losing record upon his arrival. NJ went from a horrible record to one of the greatest comebacks to almost make the playoffs after his departure and Lemaire returned to see the season out.

If he's doing well for St. Louis then more power to you.

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Arnott has been effective in a 3rd line role, where his declining foot-speed is a bit protected. Hitch has used language like asking Arnott to play a "150 feet game" rather than 200 feet. He's had timely goals, and has been a stabilizing veteran presence.

Langenbrunner seems to have declined the most in terms of production, however he's frequently cited as a guy that is vocal in the locker room and willing to do the little unheralded things the team needs him to do. I can't say that I always see that, but maybe its not the type of contribution that fans would be able to appreciate that much. Anyway, Hitch seems pleased with him.

At the beginning of the year, Armstrong made comments to the effect that either/both players could be signed for another year depending how this season goes. I expect Langenbrunner won't be re-signed, and will/should probably retire. Arnott I could see come back for one more season on a similar deal...and I think most Blues fans would be pretty happy with that.

Neither player are being asked to produce in a top 6 role, which is part of what I think outside fans were being critical about in the off-season. They're put in situations where they can succeed. Oddly, Langenbrunner HAS filled in on the top lines here and there through the season, but its not his ideal place in the line-up. I think next year with Tarasenko and possibly Schwartz (though he'll probably start in Peoria) joining the roster, the team can absorb the loss of Langenbrunner. At this point he seems to be functioning more like a player/coach, but I get the feeling everyone in the organization is fine with that.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Devils fan here, really glad to see this thread. I really wanted Arnott to have a better season with the Devils last year, but thanks to Maclean (and partially Rolston) the lineup was all mucked up and he never got an honest chance to produce. It looks like he's being used correctly in St. Louis.

He's also GREAT for the young guys, after what he had to go through with Stevens on the Devils. Basically Arnott was finding himself in a slump (in life, not hockey) and Stevens took him in (like literally, asked him to live with him) and essentially turned him around. He's really grown into an excellent veteran presence thanks to that.

And Langs...Langs is cool I guess. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm also glad he's providing a positive influence to another team.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
execwrite

Was thrilled when I heard that Arnott and Langenbrunner signed. They have both contributed mightily to the Blues success this year.

I'm sold on Arnott if he wants to come back next year. But he will probably block McRae in Peoria even though he might be ready.

Not so much on Langenbrunner for next year.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I was super happy to sign Arnott, not as excited about Langenbrunner, but I've grown to appreciate Langs more. He's a voice in the locker room that I think does more for this team than what we as fans see on the ice.
Yes exactly, I personally was excited for both these signing at the time because i figured we could use some bottom six/ veteran/cup winning presence as we make our way to the playoffs. But Arnott has definitely surprised me with his goal scoring this year, i new he had a heavy shot but i had no idea he'd be pretty much a 20 goal scorer. For Langenbrunner He possesses alot of speed and grit that i don't think many people saw coming and has become one of the biggest leaders in the locker room. Even though he only has four goals this year it seems like they've all been in a crucial part of a game. I could definitely see him being one of those guys who doubles his goal totals in the playoffs compared to his season. that is if we can hopefully make a cup run.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Im not sure if there would be much room for mccrae anyways if we bring back d'ags and steen and everyone else gets healthy, along with the addition of Tarasenko, and potentially schwartz as much as I'd like to see Mccrae there may not be enough room for him next year, considering the way Nichol has performed as a 4th liner with porter/crombeen and Reaves. But I definitely see Mccrae in the blues plans for the future though.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote