Depends on the acquisitions during the summer. Most likely we won't be top 4 next year but we do expect the leafs to be in the run for playoffs all year. Sure, any team seeded 5-8 have not won a cup in the past 15+ years from what I know but, making the playoffs consistently would be big a improvement.
Obviously a lot of things can come into factor from now and next year, but I certainly expect that Burke will make the moves, or at least there will be enough internal improvement that we're no longer just competing for playoffs, but home ice advantage.
I looked at the numbers since the 1980-81 season. That's a full 30 seasons. Here are the results (NOTE that this is NOT the ranking in the East/West conference. These are the overall rankings NHL-wide based on total points):
1) President's Trophy winners won 11 of 30 championships. Championship Odds: 36.67%
2) Second and third highest point totals in the NHL (not just the conference, but the whole league, East and West): 10 championships. Championship Odds: 16.67% for each team
3) Teams that were 4th to 6th in the NHL (and NOT the conference) won 7 championships. Championship Odds: 7.77% for each team
4) Teams ranked 7th to 9th won only two Cup in 30 years. Championship Odds: 2.22% for each team
5) No team ranked below 9 in the NHL ever won the Cup. Championship Odds: 0%
All in all, if you are the #4 seed in the East (about a 7-8 in the NHL overall), your odds of winning are only about 2%.