HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

League Cancels more than expected

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2004, 08:38 AM
X8oD

vCash: 500
League Cancels more than expected

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=102123

It likely means, the next announcement in Mid November may infact cancel the season, as they are now canceling 45 days in advance instead of 30.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=102123

It likely means, the next announcement in Mid November may infact cancel the season, as they are now canceling 45 days in advance instead of 30.
Our only hope of a season this year is if the NHLPA cracks bigtime. I don't like those chances.

Old
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Isles72

I wonder if the nhl has anything else to offer besides the 6 proposals put forth already as ''back up'' ?

Old
10-19-2004, 03:03 PM
PecaFan

Good. The more the better, actually. They should cancel to January 1st right now, and cut to the chase.. "Ok PA, are you prepared to lose the whole season?"

Old
10-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Go Flames Go*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Good. The more the better, actually. They should cancel to January 1st right now, and cut to the chase.. "Ok PA, are you prepared to lose the whole season?"
Yup, just cancel the whole season damnit, we are ready for the replacements players.

Old
10-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Everyone is so interested in finding out when the NHL will officially cancel the season... However, I think we may be disappointed because from the rhetoric we get from Bettman and Daly about the subject, I don't think they'll make an official announcment about it... They keep saying that there is no drop dead date... They are going to keep negotiating (ya right) until a deal is done, then look and see if a season can be salvaged... I agree that mid January seams to be the cutoff date, but I don't know if we'll officially here anything about it though...

Old
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Realistically, a 60-90 day window to book replacement events for NHL games would be more effective.

Quote:
"It's very clear that the league and its teams are far more concerned with booking concerts than negotiating a solution to end the owners' lockout,'' said NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin.
I view it as the equivalant of NHL players going off to play in other leagues; particularly Europe. The NHL owners are showing that they can make money during the lockout just as easily as the players.

Closed Thread