HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the hate on Leafs fans?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
megusta
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Why the hate on Leafs fans?

Hello there,

I'm a Leafs fan, coming in peace. I grew up in Toronto, and am a hardcore Leafs fan. I now go to school in Ottawa though, and I just don't really get all the hatred from the Sens fanbase towards Leafs fans.

Is it because of the playoff losses in the early 2000's? Back then, the Leafs lost in the playoffs to the Devils/Flyers on a yearly basis, yet animosity from Leafs fans to those franchises are largely non-existent. Is it due to the geographical proximity? Yet, Sens fans never seem to have the same level of hatred against Habs fans, even though loud Habs fans fill up SBP during Habs-Sens games, much like Leafs fans do during Leafs-Sens games.

I hear of stories where drunk idiot Leafs fans make a fool of themselves at SBP, but of course, EVERY franchise has idiot fans...

Luckily, Sens tickets are cheap (compared to the Leafs), and I attend quite a few games each year. I even quietly cheer for Ottawa to win, when they are facing a neutral opponent, but I don't think any Sens fans would do the same thing...

So why yu so mad???

Old
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Minister of Offence

Because there's a lot of them and thus a lot of them that speak from their arse.

I mean, all you hear from a typical Leaf fan in Ottawa is this level of superiority with nothing to show for it. And as the years go on, nothing changes. Take it a step further, you realize they've never played 4 rounds of playoffs and haven't won the Cup since there was 6 teams in the league. Where does the sense of superiority come from?

Sure makes it nice to see them struggle.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
To be dead honest with you, we hate Leaf fans because of their hatred towards our fan base and team first; not to mention their constant agitation and instigation.

Most Sens fans are actually nice and all towards Leaf fans but when you come into our building and boo OUR captain, you seriously expect us to "like" you guys? Haha.

Good one.

P.S. I live in Toronto and have SO many very close friends that are hardcore Leaf fans.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Battle of Ontario and because you guys always boo Alfie are a couple of reasons.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Gil Gunderson

All I had to do was make one search on twitter to see how many Leafs fans called us a pathetic/classless fanbase because one fan, who nobody even knows whether he's a Sens fan or not, yelled out "pick Belak".

But it's typical sports fan behavior I guess.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
GreatStateofHockey

I know that not all leaf fans are like this, but the arrogance most have is unreal

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1093489

And for some reason they always think they have the Sens beat, for the life of me I have no idea .

Old
01-31-2012, 12:03 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Because they invade SBP and boo Alfie.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
megusta
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Because they invade SBP and boo Alfie.
Just curious, but do Habs fans not boo Alfie? I go to uOttawa and it seems to be almost an even 1/3 split between Habs/Leafs/Sens fans, and a large portion of Habs fans are quite annoying not to mention, I see tons of Habs fans heading over to SBP every time Montreal visits Ottawa. Maybe the takeover of SBP isn't as bad, during the Habs-Sens games?

Old
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Gil Gunderson

We also apparently have this "inferiority complex", which is kind of like the Leafs fans' version of "no homo" whenever they attack us.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Habs fans have no reason to boo Alfie.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
HankHillC3H8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
We also apparently have this "inferiority complex", which is kind of like the Leafs fans' version of "no homo" whenever they attack us.
You sir are a genius.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:26 AM
GreatStateofHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by megusta View Post
Just curious, but do Habs fans not boo Alfie? I go to uOttawa and it seems to be almost an even 1/3 split between Habs/Leafs/Sens fans, and a large portion of Habs fans are quite annoying not to mention, I see tons of Habs fans heading over to SBP every time Montreal visits Ottawa. Maybe the takeover of SBP isn't as bad, during the Habs-Sens games?
Habs fans come to drink and watch hockey.

Leafs fans come solely to piss us off by booing Alfie and swearing and being obnoxious.

I've only been to one leafs-Sens game, and I was lucky:

I was in a sea of Toronto fans, but the group next to me were a bunch of college kids about my age. They were nice, and although they boo'd they were good sports about it.

Besides them, everyone else in my section was yelling obscenities and useless crap. The score was 2-1 for some reasons, and we had just scored (down from 2-0) and this one fan two rows ahead of me stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs "ITS STILL TWO TO ONE" while flipping everyone of with both fingers when he said the one.

All the time, Leafs fans come to try to pick fights and stupid stuff like that. They think that because they are with a group of friends that they have the authority to swear and shove people around. The one game I've been to, I saw at least 5 leaf fans get kicked out, and that was just in my section (plus one guy across the ice that fell down the steps trying to assault an usher)

Old
01-31-2012, 12:59 AM
megusta
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZibanejad View Post
Habs fans come to drink and watch hockey.

Leafs fans come solely to piss us off by booing Alfie and swearing and being obnoxious.
That's not fair I'm pretty sure most Leafs fans don't spend 100's of dollars to come to Ottawa just to be trolls. Though I'm sorry that you folks have such bad experiences with Leafs fans at SBP. I've only been to one Leafs-Sens game at SBP (in the preseason), and I thought both fanbases were reasonably well-behaved. It's funny because Leafs fans criticize themselves for being too quiet at the ACC...

Old
01-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Gil Gunderson

Well, most are well behaved from what I've experienced or heard, but there's always some of these guys looking for a fight, so watching their team lose is pretty fun.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 01-31-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old
01-31-2012, 01:26 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Well, most are well behaved from what I've experienced or heard, but there's always some of these guys looking for a fight.

Love the fact that he's bragging about Stanley Cups he wasn't even born to witness. At least Montreal won one in the 90's so they are semi still relevant. Toronto hasn't done squat in years so that's why I mostly don't like their fan base. The Senators have been a constant playoff team and made the finals in the past ten years yet they still "suck" apparently. Oh look Ottawa has missed the playoffs twice in fourteen years and never back to back since they made it the first time, worst team ever!

I'll admit though Lupul was pretty hilarious during the All-Star Game and had a good sense of humour about the rivalry, so the team itself isn't all bad.

Last edited by WantEggRoll: 01-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old
01-31-2012, 01:32 AM
vflawiess

Quote:
Well, most are well behaved from what I've experienced or heard, but there's always some of these guys looking for a fight, so watching their team lose is pretty fun.

That just made my night!! To be honest there are crazy fans in every city. You can't say that wasn't funny LMAO Go LEAFS Go!!!

Old
01-31-2012, 01:32 AM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

Quote:

I'll be the first (& not the last) Leafs fan to say that guy is being a humungous jackass.

Bantering/cheering in the arena is completely OK as long as it is related to hockey. No real reason to make that scene other then attracting attention. This sort of stuff absolutely happens in every arena though (At the ACC NJD fans were pulling it in December, lots of examples in NYI, PHI, etc. etc).

Not a fan of the Ottawa fan's response with the gay slurs either. At a buffalo game a guy yelled that and at least ten fans from both teams freaked out at the guy - both are cities which have just had teen suicides from that crap and people keep doing it.

By the way, it really looks like thats a staged troll video to try to go viral with the stupid glasses. For the record, after a leafs loss I'm sad and I get the hell out of there - as I did at that game too. Long drive home after a L

Old
01-31-2012, 01:35 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
i hate the Ron in Toronto

Old
01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Rinks View Post
I'll be the first (& not the last) Leafs fan to say that guy is being a humungous jackass.

Bantering/cheering in the arena is completely OK as long as it is related to hockey. No real reason to make that scene other then attracting attention. This sort of stuff absolutely happens in every arena though (At the ACC NJD fans were pulling it in December, lots of examples in NYI, PHI, etc. etc).

Not a fan of the Ottawa fan's response with the gay slurs either. At a buffalo game a guy yelled that and at least ten fans from both teams freaked out at the guy - both are cities which have just had teen suicides from that crap and people keep doing it.

By the way, it really looks like thats a staged troll video to try to go viral with the stupid glasses. For the record, after a leafs loss I'm sad and I get the hell out of there - as I did at that game too. Long drive home after a L
Pretty much. It's sports fan behavior, every fanbase has those nutjobs, but the amount that invade SBP anoys this fanbase, but that comes with a fanbase as large as Toronto's.

I just thought it was funny how we got so much heat from the ASG weekend, even though the same would have happened if the roles were reversed.

Old
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
Also, the media is so Leafs-obsessed that it makes me hate anything that has to do with the Leafs, including their brainwashed fans.

Old
megusta
Rookie User

Quote:

So your problems are trolls in their early 20's who probably belong in a sketchy frathouse, instead of a hockey game, who just happen to be a Leafs fan? Fair enough.

I'm all for loudly cheering at Leafs-Sens games, no matter where it's at. And I'll boo Alfie when necessary. All I ask is that you folks don't generalize all Leafs fans to be like that guy...

Old
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I hate Leaf fans who are obnoxious. This typically means the 'hardcore' Leaf fan who will boo anything Sens related but can't even name the Leafs roster, and the Leaf fans who year after year actually believe the Leafs are going to the Cup Finals any time they get on a winning streak, and the Leaf fans who throw guys under the bus just because there's a new flavour of the month while pimping the new shiny prospect as the best thing ever. Also the Leaf fans who believe every major FA is going to sign with Toronto. And Leaf fans combine all of that with constantly bringing up Cup wins and/or playoff series v Ottawa.

Note that many of these apply to every fanbase, but because most hockey fans I know who are like this are Leaf fans, I typically associate it with the Leafs. I don't hate all Leaf fans, I enjoy chirping with the good ones and having legitimate hockey convos. I just can't deal with the ones who are obnoxious without reason.

01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by megusta View Post
So your problems are trolls in their early 20's who probably belong in a sketchy frathouse, instead of a hockey game, who just happen to be a Leafs fan? Fair enough.

I'm all for loudly cheering at Leafs-Sens games, no matter where it's at. And I'll boo Alfie when necessary. All I ask is that you folks don't generalize all Leafs fans to be like that guy...
Haha I'm not generalizing, I know lots of good Leafs fans, but like I said before, lots those obnoxious d-bags invading SBP (obviously due to the Leafs' large fanbase) probably gives Sens fans more reason to be annoyed by Leafs fans.

There are obnoxious Sens fans as well, but the Sens have a much smaller fanbase.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 01-31-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old
01-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

A stereotype I know, but most Leafs fans are just generally annoying, think their players and/or team is undefeatable, think everyone else is inferior, and generally talk crap from their arse.

Just my two cents.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGHeR View Post
That just made my night!! To be honest there are crazy fans in every city. You can't say that wasn't funny LMAO Go LEAFS Go!!!
You find it funny, I find it retarded. We all have done stupid things when drunk but this is beyond ridiculous. If it lasted only 30 seconds maybe, but he looks more like a Neanderthal with a pea brain than anything. I would be ashamed if it was my face there. I hope no Sens fan ever does something like this. Our fanbase is far from perfect but as long as no one get as low as this, it will be fine.

Conclusion : someone very drunk (he seems to be) can look very stupid in a crowd of non-drunk people.

Closed Thread