Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/31/12 - Wild vs. Preds - 7PM CST - FSN

Old
02-01-2012, 09:45 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Can Russo please stop with the Prosser love fest yet? I would be very appreciative if they can send him back to where he belongs ASAP.

Schultz just needs to go away, permanently. My gawd he hasn't progressed at all since the day he signed that contract and now he's just in a free fall. No idea how they can have this guy out there playing the minutes he does. Let alone wearing a letter. Embarrassing.

All in all, I'm just so sick of these defensemen. It's sad when the only one who can actually make a pass is the 13 year old posing as a NHL player. Gap control across the board is still pathetic as well. Just isn't anything there that is salvageable/redeeming...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I'm still upset about the two goals that shouldn't have been. I hate it when incompetent officials make horrible calls.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Can Russo please stop with the Prosser love fest yet? I would be very appreciative if they can send him back to where he belongs ASAP.

Schultz just needs to go away, permanently. My gawd he hasn't progressed at all since the day he signed that contract and now he's just in a free fall. No idea how they can have this guy out there playing the minutes he does. Let alone wearing a letter. Embarrassing.

All in all, I'm just so sick of these defensemen. It's sad when the only one who can actually make a pass is the 13 year old posing as a NHL player. Gap control across the board is still pathetic as well. Just isn't anything there that is salvageable/redeeming...
No he has to battle with Terhaar over it. I mean Terhaar has the leg up on Russo with the "Processor" nickname.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

While I wouldn't proclaim undying love for Prosser, he's one of our few defensemen who look like NHL defenseman. He should be third pairing and PP only, but I have no problems with his game beyond that. The biggest plus about Prosser is how Falk plays when Prosser is out there. For whatever reason, the "Elk River Native" brings out the best in Falk.

Zanon, bizarrely enough, looked like a quality defenseman for most of last night. Caveat-I only half watched the third period as I was doing some other stuff with the game on at that point. He was physical, getting up on the play, and wasn't horrible in his own end for the parts I watched. Can't really blame him on that ridiculous deflection for the first goal, on account of that deflection being ridiculous.

Schultz has continued to be not bad. Yes, he was terrible to start the season, but he hasn't been bad for the past few weeks. In fact, in some games he's looked good.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

You missed the half of the third which Bozo the Clown had better decision-making than Zanon then. It was sad, bad and pitiful all wrapped into one.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You missed the half of the third which Bozo the Clown had better decision-making than Zanon then.
I hear Bozo has done pretty well for himself though...Come to think of it, most prominent people who make bad decisions all the time are doing well. Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, Scott Howson, Mike Milbury...

Old
02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
mnwildgophers

An embarassing loss, and also very deflating. We win that game 4-2, we all feel good, and we're riding high at 3 wins in a row, instead, it turns to crap and we lose 5-4 in regulation! Zidlicky is unhappy, and I wonder how that room is feeling right now. This game could be the beginning of the end, or the team can respond with a big win in Colorado. Let's hope they opt to play the way they did in the 1st period, and not the way they played in the 2nd half of the 3rd.

Our defensemen were playing well, but now they can't seem to do much right. We are sorely lacking any offense from that spot, and we have to hope that either we can make a trade for a defenseman that will make a difference for this year. As for next year, Scandella, Brodin, and whoever we sign in FA, we might have a better D corps. I wouldn't mind having Brodin take his time though. I'd rather him be ready to play in the NHL rather than rushing him here and not getting him to where his ceiling might be.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Let's look at the goals against.

First goal. Yip makes a play to beat Stoner in the corner, moves it up to the point for a shot by Klein, and Zanon screens the goalie while not tying up Halischuk, who deflects it on Harding. Crap play by both defensemen, but hat tip to Zanon who just screens the goalie without clearing the crease. Way to be the fourth forward.

Second goal. Stoner gets straight up beat in the corner by Halischuk while Falk gives him a nice, clear path to the goalie. They crash and score. Frankly this was a questionable goal, but again crap job by the defensemen.

Third goal. What I can only assume is miscommunication as it looked like Nick Johnson was covering Stoner's guy, Stoner was covering Zanon's guy, and Zanon was barely covering anyone while trying to get into position. Four red sweaters in the slot while Hornqvist is all alone behind the net, then Zanon and Stoner both decide to chase him FROM THE SAME SIDE leaving him a nice, clear, easy lane to the goal for the stuff in. And who's the first guy to get to Hornqvist? Brodziak. What in the hell are those two doing?

Fourth goal. Nashy on the rush and Falk is giving up too much gap to Wilson, who with no pressure has a nice drop pass back to Erat. Forwards still aren't back. Falk drops to block the shooting lane so Erat makes a quick pass to Wilson who makes a quick pass to Fisher for the tap in. It's an easy tap in because Prosser isn't watching the back door but spinning around, unsure of what's going on, and Cullen couldn't get back fast enough to tie him up. Harding did slide over too far giving up too much net. But this was pretty much a team fail on what was likely a bad turnover earlier in the shift.

Fifth goal. Stoner makes a horrifically bad play up the boards when he has the puck in the corner WITH ENOUGH SPACE FOR AN NHL DEFENSEMAN TO MAKE A PLAY. I saw this coming a mile away because this is exactly the crap my rec league pulls all the time...blind dump up the boards right to their point man. Anyways, Stoner basically passes it right to Fisher, who absolutely nobody bothered to cover (Clutterbuck, Cullen, or Zanon). Fisher dumps it on net and Harding gives up a terrible 5-hole goal. Definitely on Stoner and Harding, but great execution by the team as a whole to put zero pressure on Fisher.

Let's add up all the defensemen who were in on those plays:

Stoner: 4
Zanon: 3
Falk: 2
Prosser: 1

If we're going to call out defensemen...let's get off Schultz, who was doing his job all night long and saved a sure goal on the PP early.

With Zidlicky's little stunt, he won't be playing the next game, even though he should. Lundin should be back in. Stoner should be out for sure. Maybe Zanon too. Those are guys who have been playing pro hockey for many years and should know better and have the composure out there.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
mnwildgophers

Stoner gets the puck all the time with room to just skate it out of trouble, but he ends up trying to go around the boards and it never actually gets out of the zone. He can't get the puck out of the zone, then when you pair him up with Zanon who can't really do it either, we end up spending the whole shift in the defensive zone.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If we're going to call out defensemen...let's get off Schultz, who was doing his job all night long and saved a sure goal on the PP early.
No can do. Being at these games and watching the way this guy is playing and his positioning, just can't do it. There's just nothing there. Spurgeon (!) needing to bail him out all game just isn't going to cut it. We know how bad the rest of the defensemen are. Schultz just doesn't have an excuse for the way he's played.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Stoner is a 6th defenseman whose primary role is to provide toughness. If he's left in that role (and paired with someone who's actually able to make a first pass) he's pretty much your standard third pairing guy. Nothing special or worth getting excited about, but not really worth complaining about either.

Here's the ES TOI for our defensemen last night:

Prosser - 20:53
Falk - 20:34
Schultz - 19:04
Spurgeon - 19:02
Zanon - 18:46
Stoner - 17:25

If you factor in special teams, Spurgeon jumps to second in total TOI and everyone else shuffles down. You can't have a guy like Stoner playing over 18 minutes if you hope to win, at least not if he's paired with Zanon. We have a guy that arguably should be in the AHL leading our team in TOI. At this point, I think we need to consider playing 7 defensemen. If we can get Zidlicky moved, get Scandella (healthy and) back up here, have him play Stoner's usual shifts, and get Stoner down to 6-8 minutes a game. Swap Schultz and Spurgeon's minutes with Falk and Prosser's, get Zanon down to around 15 minutes. Have the TOI look like this at the end of the game:

Spurgeon - 22:00 (assuming around 2:00 on PP)
Schultz - 21:00
Prosser - 19:00
Falk - 19:00
Scandella - 17:00 (play on both special teams units)
Zanon - 14:00
Stoner - 8:00

Shelter Scandella a little for two reasons: Improve his confidence, and provide some reliability/puck movement on the bottom pairing. This setup keeps us getting the toughness and physical play we like out of Stoner, but reduces the defensive liability. This balances our three pairings a bit.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The way I see it, the defense has too many players who can't skate the puck out of trouble and/or make a decent first pass to get it out of the zone.

Zanon and Stoner struggle with that quite a bit. Schultz did early on but at least he's getting the puck out of trouble and chipping it out. Still not what you want from a $4m defenseman. He's always done well defending the rush but has always required a PMD to be able to get the puck out (Johnsson, Burns, Spurgeon).

Guessing Scandy gets called up once Zids is dealt. That would give 3-4 guys who can avoid panic plays with the puck with some regularity.

Next year with Brodin coming in it would be great to get a competent veteran defenseman to complement the club. Suter would be ideal. Probably have to settle for less. But I do think that makes a big difference in terms of the team's success.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
mnwildgophers

That's not a bad idea, but I was more complaining about the fact that we are using Stoner-Zanon as a pairing. I'm not sure the logic behind that. Also, I thought I had read something that Scandella was hurt down in Houston or something like that. We do need him to get healthy, and regain some confidence. I wouldn't mind him coming back up, but he'll have to earn it. Last I remember, he was doing some decent things down in Houston (had a few assists, + player). He's someone we need for the future as we don't have a ton of d-men prospects.

I think we'll see something changed soon. We have about a month until the trade deadline, and I have a feeling we will see some moves being made. I don't expect Harding, Brodziak, or Zidlicky to be on this team come March at a minimum. We'll get rid of Zanon is someone takes him.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Stoner-Zanon is paired because, well what else are we going to do? Schultz-Spurgeon has been the best pairing we've seen all season (minus when Scandella was playing well and we had Scandella-Spurgeon) so we don't want to break that up. Falk looks 124982357934875239845703849057% better when paired with Prosser than when paired with anyone else. Stoner and Zanon were the other two dressed defensemen. If we swap Lundin in for one of them, I think things look a lot better, but Yeo obviously has some reason he doesn't play Lundin (valid or not).

Old
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah not sure what's up with Lundin. Who by the way managed to be a healthy scratch nearly half the season without crying to the media about it.

I'm really not opposed to Schultz-Spurgeon as our "top pairing" with this lineup. And Falk-Prosser has been good.

But yeah, Zanon-Stoner is a brutal pairing from a puck movement perspective. Oddly enough, they were the top shutdown pairing for a while under Richards last year and had some success.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
mnwildgophers

We need to try something else, you can't just ignore a pairing because you don't want to mess up the other ones. I don't think Lundin has played great, but I would rather see him out there than Zanon or Stoner.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah easy to say in hindsight, but when you give up three goals back to back late in the third period, you can't exactly make those adjustments. Next game we'll see them I'm sure.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
mnwildgophers

Of course, he can't make that adjustment with 3 minutes left to go in the game especially with how quick that game turned around on us, but we need something new to happen here because I don't think these pairings are cutting it.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I'd say the first Nash goal was on the forwards...they had great chances to clear and didn't get it done.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I actually thought Schultz and Zanon played very good hockey for the first 50-55 minutes of that game. I was repeatedly impressed with Zanon specifically. I think the collapse at the end is on the entire team––forwards, D, goaltending, and coaches––and it's not fair or accurate to throw one or two defensemen who played an otherwise solid game under the bus for that.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:

Pretty much. I enjoyed watching the puck go right through the "Processor's" legs on Nashville's tying goal.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Veiled Spurgeon compliment. Love it.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
se7en
infamous...

WildHockeyFan - I feel like an idiot for even saying it, but every time I see one of your posts I feel like its a comment from Zidlicky because of your avatar! Kind of like in a newspaper or yearbook they'll put a photo of the person with their comment. I'm like "Hey, a comment from Zidlicky" haha

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
WildHockeyFan - I feel like an idiot for even saying it, but every time I see one of your posts I feel like its a comment from Zidlicky because of your avatar! Kind of like in a newspaper or yearbook they'll put a photo of the person with their comment. I'm like "Hey, a comment from Zidlicky" haha
Yeah I can see how you would get that especially by the way I worded my last comment on this thread. I'm sure Zidlicky did enjoy watching the Wild lose. At this point I've lost all respect for Zids and I hope he does get traded. I decided to go with an anti-Zidlicky avatar and comment. Once the "curse" is gone I'll change it to something "nicer".

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

i'm honestly not sure that Zidlicky was even in the building...

I didn't see him in warm-ups and when Russo tweeted the joke about Koivu and Butch in the press box, a fan tweeted a picture. No Zidlicky...

Of course, Staubitz and Lundin were both scratches too... but Lundin and Staubitz were both in warmups.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote