HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

#48: San Jose Sharks vs Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:30 PST | CSN(HD)

Old
02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Your evidence is the comment boxes on TSN?

By that logic, I could use the comment boxes on ESPN to say that the entirety of the US is full of racist, sexist, homophobic *******s with the mental maturity of sugar-fed 6 year olds.

Or I could use HF as my template for profiling the rest of the continent.
From NHL personnel as well (only a couple), it is not ALL, just some. Different levels as well. Anywhere from cultural discomfort to overt. And yes, it occurs in the US still as well. I haven't done stats on trades, but it would be an interesting way to test the hypothesis on Euro vs. North American. I did catch out two refs on Euro vs NA, extremely strong on the outliers. Both are out of the league.

Kpop,
True.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:19 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I think more of Drew as symptom and not cause. I do agree that DW would not go to Drew for analysis, but I think he would go to Drew and tell him to knock it off if he had a more favorable opinion from his valued inputs. It is a very Canadian thing to denigrate Euro players. I wouldn't attribute cause directly to DW either, but I suspect it is rampant somewhere within the org anywhere from suits to players.
I can't prove that my view on Ehrhoff had anything to do with Remenda, but I do not agree with Remenda on many issues. I've been watching hockey for 20+ years and know enough to come to my own conclusions about how players are performing. Your orriginal comment about detesting Remenda was implying either Drew Remenda influenced my opinion, or influenced Doug Wilson's opinion. Maybee you didn't mean it to come across that way, but it did. I still believe that Ehrhoff was often directly responsible for the Sharks loosing offensive pressure on many situations.

I brought up holding the puck in the zone earlier, but it is more than just holding pucks in that I care about. Ehrhoff was expected to be a very good offensive defensemen, yet he often made mistakes that caused the Sharks to loose offesive pressure. I'm not sure if I'm articulating my point correctly but as far as defenseman go, it's not points that really matter as much as their ability to sustain offensive pressure. Putting pucks in areas where your forwards can retrieve the puck is just as important as holding the puck in. Not shooting the puck into the shinpads of the winger that is covering the point. Not missing to the wrong side of the net, which Ehrhoff did a lot. If Ehrhoff was poor in just one of those areas I would have a better opinion of him, but he was poor in most of those areas.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Stickmata

I couldn't wait to see Ehrhoff leave. One of my happiest days as a Sharks fan. Guy was in love with himself and showing off his booming shot (that was usually 2 feet wide of the net) more than helping the team win games. Parlayed two years of the Sedin twins making him look twice as good as he really is into a ridiculous payday from the dumbest owner in hockey. What Larry Brown was to football, Ehrhoff is to hockey.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
I can't prove that my view on Ehrhoff had anything to do with Remenda, but I do not agree with Remenda on many issues. I've been watching hockey for 20+ years and know enough to come to my own conclusions about how players are performing. Your orriginal comment about detesting Remenda was implying either Drew Remenda influenced my opinion, or influenced Doug Wilson's opinion. Maybee you didn't mean it to come across that way, but it did. I still believe that Ehrhoff was often directly responsible for the Sharks loosing offensive pressure on many situations.

I brought up holding the puck in the zone earlier, but it is more than just holding pucks in that I care about. Ehrhoff was expected to be a very good offensive defensemen, yet he often made mistakes that caused the Sharks to loose offesive pressure. I'm not sure if I'm articulating my point correctly but as far as defenseman go, it's not points that really matter as much as their ability to sustain offensive pressure. Putting pucks in areas where your forwards can retrieve the puck is just as important as holding the puck in. Not shooting the puck into the shinpads of the winger that is covering the point. Not missing to the wrong side of the net, which Ehrhoff did a lot. If Ehrhoff was poor in just one of those areas I would have a better opinion of him, but he was poor in most of those areas.
While it is a legitimate concern to worry about sustaining offensive pressure, the point of doing that is to score. With Ehrhoff, they were scoring especially on the man advantage and they weren't as efficient without him on the ice. People never got over his inconsistencies with certain things like a wide shot or a missed man in front to realize that it's still a matter of weighing the good and the bad when it comes to players. To me, his playoff play alone tips the scales in his favor. Most d-man plummet in production in the post-season with very few exceptions...he was one of them. When he was assigned the task to shut a particular player/line down, he was good at it. People often overlook that because of the mistakes he makes and in the Ducks' series, Murray's physicality.

Moving Ehrhoff set the team back and is only now recovering because of Brent Burns...who is a very similar player both in terms of the mistakes he makes and the positives that he brings. However, because of his newness, he will not receive the criticism Ehrhoff got.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote