HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Explain to us all why you want Hossa out of Montreal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2004, 10:00 AM
  #1
Mike The Wall
Registered User
 
Mike The Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montreal Hockey Capital of The World
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
Explain to us all why you want Hossa out of Montreal

I am realy getting fed up of get rid of Hossa stories. This kid has talent he just needs to put it all togther. He is not Eric Chouinard who was heartless. Hossa is living under his brother's shadow and his best friend is Marion Gaborik so guys lighten up. If you realy want to trade him tell us why and with realy reason not because he cut his hair or he is too what ever. Real reasons!!!! please

Mike The Wall is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
  #2
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
... and his best friend is Marion Gaborik so guys lighten up.
Tom Fitzgerald and Keith Tkachuk are first cousins. What a steal for the Broonz!

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
  #3
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Tom Fitzgerald and Keith Tkachuk are first cousins. What a steal for the Broonz!
Very constructive comment.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:21 AM
  #4
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Very constructive comment.
I kid.

But I do agree with his post, good constructive reasons why you want a player gone are always nice. Not just because "he's a bust"... etc...

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
  #5
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
I am realy getting fed up of get rid of Hossa stories. This kid has talent he just needs to put it all togther. He is not Eric Chouinard who was heartless. Hossa is living under his brother's shadow and his best friend is Marion Gaborik so guys lighten up. If you realy want to trade him tell us why and with realy reason not because he cut his hair or he is too what ever. Real reasons!!!! please
Like Chouinard, Hossa had problems dealing with huge money at a so young age. I would like to know however you are stating he isn't heartless.

Kafka is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
  #6
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Reason to make a trade:

1. When a player is over-rated by an other team.

That's the only reason.

Clark was willing to give a 2nd round pick for Chouinard; Chouinard was traded... If someone is ready to give something better than what Hossa's value his (according to Hab's management), then they should go for it.

---------

One thing I don't really understand is that Habs need a big center. Hossa used to be a center, and is big.

Why is he kept playing on the wing?

Kafka is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
  #7
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,551
vCash: 500
I don't want him out of Montreal. At least not now. We wouldn't get much/enough for him, compared to the hopes we might have that he'll put his game together for an NHL career.

That said, if I had a time machine, I would go back and pick somebody else (Frolov looks especially good, but most of the rest of the 1st round and many from the 2nd round in 2000 would do), or trade him immediately after the draft for something a bit more worthwhile.

Basically, I think that most fans who don't want him around are using time machine logic. Which isn't very helpful, alas.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:31 AM
  #8
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Because he sucks?

Uber Coca is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:34 AM
  #9
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
I am realy getting fed up of get rid of Hossa stories. This kid has talent he just needs to put it all togther. He is not Eric Chouinard who was heartless. Hossa is living under his brother's shadow and his best friend is Marion Gaborik so guys lighten up. If you realy want to trade him tell us why and with realy reason not because he cut his hair or he is too what ever. Real reasons!!!! please
Enigmatic players are the toughest for fans to support. They show signs of greatness, have the skills, but just don't always translate it into stardom night after night, or else take much longer to develop than others. All in all, it takes a ton of patience for management and fans alike, to stick with these kinds of players.

All teams have them, they are immediately labelled "busts" because we set some outrageous expectations for them and bail when they don't meet the grade right off the bat. What some forget, is these are just young men trying to make a living in a very competitive work place. They are essentially growing up under public scrutiny. Some handle the pressure and others don't.

The good thing is that Habs' management has stuck by players like Ward and Ryder, to name a few, who took longer than "normal" to make the grade. I say stick with this guy, he may eventually pleasantly surprise us all.

NWT Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:34 AM
  #10
Blackshad
Registered User
 
Blackshad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey
Because he sucks?
2. He is lazy on the ice

Blackshad is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:36 AM
  #11
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey
Because he sucks?
Now THAT was constructive

jacklours is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 10:52 AM
  #12
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
First of all, I did not see many people actively wanting Hossa out of Montreal. There's been a poll a few days ago on a hypothetical "Hossa to Ottawa" trade, but nothing serious.

On the other hand, it's obvious that Habs management will have to make a decision regarding Hossa, because he will soon not be able to play in the AHL anymore without facing the waivers (and he's gonna get picked if that happens). Should we keep him and let him play on the fourth line if he still can't handle more ice time? Maybe hoping he gets better? That's a possibility, but we're going to pay a lot of money (he's a first rounder, remember) for a player who we could replace by another cheap Begin-like checker.

I really hope that his returns to europe hockey will help him, because the clock is ticking for Hossa. Already, Higgins is ahead of him on the LW depth chart. Hossa will need a work a lot if he wants to stay with the Canadiens.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
  #13
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
1.) I see him as a floater who would rather shoot from the outside than fight the traffic to get into the areas he will need to inorder to score in the NHL.
2.) He doesn't seem to work hard in the neutral zone or in his own end.
3.) For his size he should go into the corner and get the puck more often than he does.
4. ) In all his years in the AHL he never dominated the way he should have at that level. He has all the talent at the AHL level but seems to lack something in his game that would allow him to dominate on the ice and take the next step.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 01:08 PM
  #14
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Im not one of them who wants him out.......unless of course we got an offer that is just to good to refuse, but that goes for just about any player or prospect we have.

Mooch is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 01:24 PM
  #15
Bileur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,081
vCash: 500


Because he'd look much better in a sens uniform


The question is what would they write on their jerseys?


Last edited by Bileur: 10-19-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Bileur is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 01:57 PM
  #16
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Enigmatic players are the toughest for fans to support. They show signs of greatness, have the skills, but just don't always translate it into stardom night after night, or else take much longer to develop than others. All in all, it takes a ton of patience for management and fans alike, to stick with these kinds of players.

All teams have them, they are immediately labelled "busts" because we set some outrageous expectations for them and bail when they don't meet the grade right off the bat. What some forget, is these are just young men trying to make a living in a very competitive work place. They are essentially growing up under public scrutiny. Some handle the pressure and others don't.

The good thing is that Habs' management has stuck by players like Ward and Ryder, to name a few, who took longer than "normal" to make the grade. I say stick with this guy, he may eventually pleasantly surprise us all.
Well said, and I agree with everything. I just hope he can make the team when the season starts (If ever), time is running.

loadie is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
  #17
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
On the other hand, it's obvious that Habs management will have to make a decision regarding Hossa, because he will soon not be able to play in the AHL anymore without facing the waivers (and he's gonna get picked if that happens). Should we keep him and let him play on the fourth line if he still can't handle more ice time? Maybe hoping he gets better? That's a possibility, but we're going to pay a lot of money (he's a first rounder, remember) for a player who we could replace by another cheap Begin-like checker.
That is a real problem for management right now. Hossa is enigmatic. Management knows it. We know it. Heck, every GM and pro scout in the game likely knows it. That hurts his trade value somewhat to where he is much more valuable to the team if he breaks through and lives up to his potential, versus getting very little for him in a trade and watching him break through with some other team down the road.

I have confidence in management and their scouting team, as we have some of the best judges of pro talent and pro work ethic around. They stuck with guys like Wardo and Ryder, and that looks great for us now. They bailed on guys like Chouinard and got us Lapierre in return, and that looks good for us down the road.

NWT Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
  #18
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Now THAT was constructive
Want more?
1. Average speed
2. Average shot
3. Above average passing skills ( )
4. Lazy
5. Poor work ethic
6. Doesn't use his size

Finally, he's been overrated since we drafted him. I say, trade him now.

Uber Coca is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 04:17 PM
  #19
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
That is a real problem for management right now. Hossa is enigmatic. Management knows it. We know it. Heck, every GM and pro scout in the game likely knows it. That hurts his trade value somewhat to where he is much more valuable to the team if he breaks through and lives up to his potential, versus getting very little for him in a trade and watching him break through with some other team down the road.
Yes, that's true. But on the other hand, maybe Hossa will never "break out". I'm not wishing it, only acknowledging the possibility. Maybe Hossa will end up like Kilger. Maybe his trade value will be even less than it is now. In that perspective, trading him now would actually make more sense. Of course, the whole problem is to find which perspective has a greater chances of happening.

I really don't know what are the habs management thoughts on Hossa, but I think they will have to address the problem of our overabundance of prospects as soon as next year. There's no way Hossa, Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn all end up making the habs. Some of them, and not necessarely the worst ones, will end up as trade bait. My feeling is that Hossa could end up being traded not because he's hopeless, but because of the number game.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 04:32 PM
  #20
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,000
vCash: 500
It's not that we don't like him, It's that we think that if we trade him, it would be better for the team and for him.

x-bob is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 04:54 PM
  #21
MeTaL4EvR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur


Because he'd look much better in a sens uniform


The question is what would they write on their jerseys?
Probably M. Hossa for Marcel and with is number 81 .....

MeTaL4EvR is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
  #22
MeTaL4EvR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
It's not that we don't like him, It's that we think that if we trade him, it would be better for the team and for him.
I'd say we keep him and try him at center ... and maybe we could get Marian when he'll be a UFA ... perhaps he would like to play with his younger brother

MeTaL4EvR is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
  #23
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
The best
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,198
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
It's not that we don't like him, It's that we think that if we trade him, it would be better for the team and for him.
Maybe for him...but how would it be better for the team? His value is probably pretty low right now (or whenever hockey starts up again) which would mean we wouldn't get a great return (if any) in a trade for Hossa. This organization has spent years and tons of money trying to develop Hossa, might as well be patient with him until we are absolutely sure he won't break through.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
10-19-2004, 05:32 PM
  #24
AK-47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
I am realy getting fed up of get rid of Hossa stories. This kid has talent he just needs to put it all togther. He is not Eric Chouinard who was heartless. Hossa is living under his brother's shadow and his best friend is Marion Gaborik so guys lighten up. If you realy want to trade him tell us why and with realy reason not because he cut his hair or he is too what ever. Real reasons!!!! please

I still haven't given up hope on Hossa. He's playing good hockey right now in sweden. Who knows maybe he has finally found some confidence.


Last edited by AK-47: 10-19-2004 at 05:57 PM.
AK-47 is offline  
Old
10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
  #25
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
I really don't know what are the habs management thoughts on Hossa, but I think they will have to address the problem of our overabundance of prospects as soon as next year. There's no way Hossa, Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn all end up making the habs. Some of them, and not necessarely the worst ones, will end up as trade bait. My feeling is that Hossa could end up being traded not because he's hopeless, but because of the number game.
That's a good point. It also puts pressure on some of the "bubble" guys on the roster like Dags, Sundstrom etc. to perform knowing that there are some pretty good almost NHL-ready guys on the doorstep. These young guys will be coming to camp to impress a la Ryder last year.

Another factor is what the waiver rule looks like under the new CBA. Right now, a waiver rule like the most recent one really puts Hossa under a microscope, because he has been around long enough that he likely has to either stick with the team, or else they risk losing him for nothing on waivers. Management would at least have options on the younger guys on your list (ie, they could play in Hamilton next year even if that wasn't the absolute best option for their development).

NWT Habs Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.