HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

According to one random NHL 'man', AK not a very interesting player to them

Old
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I agree with this. People basically put him down because he doesn't keep up the scoring streaks he goes on time the time. If he was consistent with those streaks, he'd be in the same tier as the Richards, Browns, Carters, that people in hindsight would want over him. I still think he's got potential to pull a Lupul and live up to that potential he was drafted for one day. I hope it'll be with the Habs.
No offense, but unlike these guys, he got slammed down to lower lines whenever he didn't play like his life depended on it, got shifted from line to line and had his PP time reduced just about every year since the second half of 07-08.

Getzlaf, Carter, etc. along with numerous top end players (Lecavalier, Kovalchuk amongst others) regularly take shifts off, have droughts and whatnot. But their coaches would rather give them the ice-time to make one or two or more plays instead of playing bottom line players (or playing them WITH bottom line players).

I'm not convinced he's as unreliable and ineffective a player as he's made out to be.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
No offense, but unlike these guys, he got slammed down to lower lines whenever he didn't play like his life depended on it, got shifted from line to line and had his PP time reduced just about every year since the second half of 07-08.

Getzlaf, Carter, etc. along with numerous top end players (Lecavalier, Kovalchuk amongst others) regularly take shifts off, have droughts and whatnot. But their coaches would rather give them the ice-time to make one or two or more plays instead of playing bottom line players (or playing them WITH bottom line players).

I'm not convinced he's as unreliable and ineffective a player as he's made out to be.
I agree he could be surprisingly more effective if asked to be ''the man'' on offense. He's never been close to having this role in Montreal since veterans were always given ice time ahead of him. His best run was when he was on the Kovalev line and had some good PP time, he was a highlight reel machine back then.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nice article by Mathias Brunet, according to many GM, Ak is not worth much cause he is not a player you can rely on. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS2
This is all hearsay from a panel from ESPN.Not a single statment from one G.M in this article,Just what a panel of so called comentators think.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Weber has had many chances to prove himself and has failed to do so. In the meantime, Diaz has shown more maturity in his game both defensively and offensively.

Also, Leblanc has played a couple of games this year and shown good things. It's his first pro year too. And it's quite sad you use Moen for this terrible analogy. I hope you don't think Leblanc has the same skillset than Moen because they just are not the same type of players.
right, the guy who is 3 years older and has 160 more games of professional experience "has shown more maturity in his game".... GET OUT OF TOWN!!!!

that's precisely the point. Give Weber some time to mature and learn how to be a pro hockey dman before jumping to conclusions.

the leblanc comparison was purposefully exaggerated to highlight how silly the Diaz vs Weber argument is.

people seem to forget that, even if it's his first NHL season, Diaz has been playing pro hockey against men for years. While the Swiss league is obviously a far lesser talent-level league than the NHL, the guys playing there are men, and spending 8 years learning the craft of being a dman as a professional competing against men obviously would lead to a greater degree of composure/maturity.

incidentally, a lot of people seem to think Leblanc's potential is as a quality 3rd liner, which is what Moen has been for us this year...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
JustAHabFan

Who cares about NHL "man"? If nobody wanted AK then we can sign AK on cheaper contract.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Undertakerqc

What this article shows, is that no team who wishes to win the Stanley Cup can have this type of player in the lineup...

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
What this article shows, is that no team who wishes to win the Stanley Cup can have this type of player in the lineup...
Stick to your rejaune articles... comprehension is not your strong suit. Go Nordiques Go!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Stradale

Quote:

How does one random guy speaks for all GMs? Are you really that ...? You really need to learn how to read.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Do you consider the notion that say this article had one reference and this particular source said AK has low value you have a decent arguement? Now...this very article you posted shows ANOTHER guy who contradicts the original guy's statement. Assuming it were reflective on the population that would mean 50-50 split no? However it isn't, and it's still just ONE guy.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Danadiens

Quote:
Haha you are clueless

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
AK's always struck me as the kind of player a savvy GM steals from a less-capable GM. He's productive, able to handle tough minutes or kill soft ones, making him a very useful player. But he has a reputation as an underachiever and for being lazy and inconsistent, which reduces his trade value.
He's still got that potential, I guess, but he strikes me more as a Fedotenko type of player. Useful on the right team, perhaps even a critical piece in the right circumstances, but otherwise a player who is fairly ordinary in the grand scheme of NHL things.

When we put aside the sadness from what could have been from the 2003 draft, I think Kostitsyn probably attracts too much attention for what he is -- a complementary player on a middling team.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just like no team would ever win a cup with Ryder...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So... some random NHL 'man' has an opinion on one of our players? This has to be the funniest thread I've seen in a while.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

No one else thinks he's good enough for their team, so he must be good enough for us!

~ Habs' fans.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
A guy who scores 25 goals will have no goals in at least 57 out of 82 games, and probably more because he'll have 2-goal games and the occasional hat trick.

The problem is that guys like AKost are judged exclusively on scoring, and are deemed useless if they're not getting goals. There's more to hockey than that.
On top of the 25 he scores, he plays some damn good hockey with Eller. He aint no one trick pony.

Like others I'm glad that others don't want him (then again, that isn't true cuz we've established this thread is a farce). I want him to stay.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
gillyguzzler

I don't understand his playing time.

He had 16 shifts yesterday, 12 minutes of ice, no PP, and hardly played in the 3rd. Tomas Plekanec had almost double his ice time and was terrible. Mike Blunden played more than he did. AK didn't have a great game but really, other than the DD line, who did?

1 - if they have no intention to sign him, fine. But they have to showcase him a bit. Why have Gomez playing right wing on the PP? Give AK 18 minutes a game instead of 12 - he can't do worse than Gomez. If he produces, his trade value goes up.

2 - if they intend to offer him a decent contract, then play him as he's in the team's plans and you want him happy and feeling like he wants to return.

3 - either way, the team is trailing in the 3rd and Blunden and Darche are on the ice. Is RC playing mind games à la Jacques Martin?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Some NHL guy asking the same question we are

Quote:
1) Talking with a former player/current scout, here are some observations I can share with you:

"Kostitsyn sure has a lot of skill, and he's a lot better than he's showing tonight. In the meantime, what's he doing with Michael Blunden?"
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=82

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
No one else thinks he's good enough for their team, so he must be good enough for us!

~ Habs' fans.
Dustin Penner isn't good enough for the kings, but he's good enough for our team

~Habsterix

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Dustin Penner isn't good enough for the kings, but he's good enough for our team

~Habsterix
Good gritty, Canadian kid that Penner.

Andrei K evil, lazy russian.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

~Habsterix
I know that it went so far over your head that you totally missed it, but I was referring to the comments in this thread, not something in hind sight.

And I never said what you are implying. I dare you to find it, although I have no doubt that you won't even make the effort. So much easier to try to bash based on false information.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I know that it went so far over your head that you totally missed it, but I was referring to the comments in this thread, not something in hind sight.

And I never said what you are implying. I dare you to find it, although I have no doubt that you won't even make the effort. So much easier to try to bash based on false information.
Speaking of false information. Nowhere did the article say 'no one' wants AK. So, if you wanna make assumptions, others can as well.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Ak is gone at season's end... maybe in the KHL...

Old
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Ak is gone at season's end... maybe in the KHL...
You'd like that.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Undertakerqc

I would , we would become instantly a grittyer and better team

Old
02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Andy

Quote:
Quote:

Horton was available and Boston paid an hefty price to get him, and so did the Kings. Penner is what the Habs don't have a big body with good hands to complement the smaller other top 6 in Montreal as let's face it... I'd rather see Penner with Plekanec than Halpern!
Quote:
I find ridiculous the comparisons between AK and Penner, but that's just me. I'd take Penner 10 times out of 10 and I wouldn't even blink an eye. I've seen too many Ducks and Oilers' games to be duped by the naysayers here. I do however respect the opinion of those who have also seen him and would pick AK. I simply strongly disagree. As stated before: you can't teach size and Penner uses his body better than many other Top 6 in the league, AK included.
Don't worry Asterix, I recall very distinctly your Andrei bashing all the way back to his rookie season. I also remember your whole Penner over Andrei love fest as well.

You jumped at the opportunity to bash Andrei once again in this thread.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote