HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Pominville shows he's out of touch (Bucky)

Old
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Pominville shows he's out of touch (Bucky)

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle717733.ece

Sorry for another posting from TBN. I know we're all a bit sick of the perpetual diatribe... but here's another gem from Bucky:

Quote:
Jason Pominville took the path of least resistance Sunday when asked after the All-Star Game by teammate Luke Adam if he could pick one player from Team Chara to join the Sabres. Pominville's reaction might have sounded like music to his team in Buffalo, but it hardly passed for leadership.

"I don't know if I'd pick a player," Pominville said. "I like our team. I like everybody we have. I like the chemistry we have in our locker room, so I would keep it that way."

Pominville was either lying or delusional, either of which is disturbing heading into tonight's game in Montreal.

Allow me to remind the Sabres' captain that his team was in 14th place largely because their chemistry is such a mess. Adam wasn't asking for specific changes, by the way, in a question that sounded innocent enough. Pominville's weak response raised questions about his leadership ability and their overall paranoia.

A big problem? No, but it's been a long time since somebody stood up in the Sabres' dressing room, ignored political correctness and spoke the truth without fear of reprimand. Pominville is a good guy and a good player with clout, but his comment was another example of the Sabres accepting mediocrity to keep peace.

Not that I disagree with him on this one, but holy ****...relax, man. Stop beating this thing to death. And you want to pick on the captain?

You want the CAPTAIN to say "Give us Datsyuk because Roy sucks and we have no other centers"...??

I could understand Bucky wanting a response like "well all of these players are stars, so you'd love to have them all...but I couldn't pick just one"...

Do you want your captain backing the boys in the lockerroom, or throwing guys under the bus and creating a bit of a stir?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
gallagt01

It's what professional sports organizations do, Bucky. They keep peace.

I will say, however, that Poms very easily could have named a player and left it at that. It doesn't matter either way, I'm just saying it was a silly question for fantasy and naming a player wouldn't have made him look like less of a leader.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
How embarrassing. How uncreative is this writer that he's taking a quote from a lighthearted interview between players and trying to spin it into an acceptance of mediocrity? Honestly, after hearing Pominville's quote and then reading this article, who is the one who's out of touch?

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

He's a horrible captain because he wouldn't throw his teammates under the bus.

Got it.

Shoot, some people killed Rex Ryan for saying that if there was a fantasy draft that he'd take Peyton Manning over anyone saying that he was throwing Sanchez under the bus.

Now Pominville has his team's back and Bucky wants to kill him.

Please.

Now if you were talking truthfully with Pominville off the record and his take was the same....

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

And the sad part is, he actually will sway opinions of Pominville...

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
How embarrassing. How uncreative is this writer that he's taking a quote from a lighthearted interview between players and trying to spin it into an acceptance of mediocrity? Honestly, after hearing Pominville's quote and then reading this article, who is the one who's out of touch?
Taking into consideration his job is to draw attention to the paper.... I still can't believe this drivel is allowed to be associated with a legitimate media outlet.

This is next level ****.

What has Pominville showed? That he's an all-star who backs his team and takes a company route on a harmless, fun question with no meaning or intent?

Buck ****y

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Jame
Dream '16

If the Sabres were in first place, do you think Pominville's answer would have been different? I do.

If there were no issues with the team being terrible, or possible issues in the lockerroom... then I believe the Captain would have no issue saying something like "oh man, I'd love to have Pavel Datsyuk on our team, he is an amazing player, one of the best in the league"...

But since the Sabres are so fragile right now, Pominville couldn't say anything that would lead to inevitable questions about the team/lockerroom/etc.

If Seguin asked Chara that question... I bet Chara has no problem giving a straight answer.

Pominville, on the other hand, could not. That's not Pommer's fault. He did the right thing.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I'd be more interested if Bucky wrote an article that didn't suck balls.

This is just par for the course at this point.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
slip

Pominville sticking up for his teammates in public, like a good captain should.

Bucky manufacturing drama, like a hack, no talent ***** writer should.

The world is still on its axis.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
BuzzKillington90

Don't usually Tweet....felt inclined...

@TBNbucky Pominville is supposed to throw his team under the bus, so you feel better about his view of the team? #Buildschemistry. #getaclue

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Pominville sticking up for his teammates in public, like a good captain should.

Bucky manufacturing drama, like a hack, no talent ***** writer should.

The world is still on its axis.
I don't see Pominville's comments as "sticking up for his teammates"...it's not like Adam asked who he wanted OFF the team... I see the comments coming from a Captain who knows how fragile his lockerroom is.

You think other Captains on contending teams would give the same type of answer?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

you know your lockerroom is a mess when the Captain can't even say, "I'd love to have {Insert Super Star} on the Sabres..." for fear of hurting everyone's feelings...

I mean, how dare Jochen Hecht call Christian Ehrhoff and convince him to come to Buffalo... #norespectforteammates

Old
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Jame
Dream '16

im not so sure what is more retardo these days... Bucky Gleason articles, or the reaction they get on these boards

Old
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I don't see Pominville's comments as "sticking up for his teammates"...it's not like Adam asked who he wanted OFF the team... I see the comments coming from a Captain who knows how fragile his lockerroom is.

You think other Captains on contending teams would give the same type of answer?
Why would Adam ask who Jason wants off the team? What player would make it public that he's asked the team captain who should get the boot? I mean, why would Adam even ask that, considering Poms would probably answer "you, you inconsistent little *****"?

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

I think it depends on the captain.

I think Alfredsson would say something like "It's nice to play with these guys for one night, but I like the group of guys that we have here in Ottawa."

Unless they go the complete generic "These guys are All-Stars, of course they could help us.", then it will be calling out a player on the team.

If he said, "We could use Malkin." people would spin it as a crack on Roy.

If he said, "We could use a goalie that can stop pucks when he's not even looking like Carey Price." people think he's dumping on Miller.

Even if he didn't use a player on the Sabres name, people will extrapolate on who he's fingering.

The only winning move is not to play.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
If the Sabres were in first place, do you think Pominville's answer would have been different? I do.

If there were no issues with the team being terrible, or possible issues in the lockerroom... then I believe the Captain would have no issue saying something like "oh man, I'd love to have Pavel Datsyuk on our team, he is an amazing player, one of the best in the league"...

But since the Sabres are so fragile right now, Pominville couldn't say anything that would lead to inevitable questions about the team/lockerroom/etc.

If Seguin asked Chara that question... I bet Chara has no problem giving a straight answer.

Pominville, on the other hand, could not. That's not Pommer's fault. He did the right thing.
I don't. Pominville is as vanilla as they get.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I think it depends on the captain.

I think Alfredsson would say something like "It's nice to play with these guys for one night, but I like the group of guys that we have here in Ottawa."

Unless they go the complete generic "These guys are All-Stars, of course they could help us.", then it will be calling out a player on the team.

If he said, "We could use Malkin." people would spin it as a crack on Roy.

If he said, "We could use a goalie that can stop pucks when he's not even looking like Carey Price." people think he's dumping on Miller.

Even if he didn't use a player on the Sabres name, people will extrapolate on who he's fingering.

The only winning move is not to play.
stupid people will spin... regardless of what you say (as seen by bucky).

Pominville went right to defending the lockerroom... when the question had nothing to do with the lockerroom.

to me, it shows how fragile the team is, when you cant even be honest and say, "Malkin would be awesome on the Sabres".

it's easier to be honest, when there aren't so many problems

Quote:
"I don't know if I'd pick a player,"
That's a stupid response. No one asked if you liked the team you have. or whether you liked the chemistry.... offering that answer only leads to Bucky type articles. "Who likes the chemistry of a 14th place team???"

If the NHL all of the sudden instituted a fantasy draft, and the team Captains were making the picks... you better ****ing take one of those all stars.... im sure everyone in the lockerroom will understand why you wanted Malkin...or Datsyuk... or Chara... .etc

Pominville gave a defensive answer because the team is a fragile mess.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

I think if they were asked by a rookie teammate in a lighthearted interview the answers would be either just as vanilla, or completely off the wall.

It would also mean nothing, just like Pominville's answer.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Old Navy Goat

Hell Pominville's answer should have been: "You know Luke, I'd trade you in a heartbeat for any of these guys"

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
I don't. Pominville is as vanilla as they get.
He could've been vanilla and said, "their are so many good players in here, id love to have anyone of them on the Sabres"

the fact that he went into defense mode, immediately, without even really being prompted... to me thats another nugget of info into the mess that is the sabres lockerroom

but i read too much into things... and everything is fine. Derek Roy isn't the problem, Lindy Ruff isn't the problem... it's just injuries and stuff.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Bucky is not good at writing good articles in a good manner with good regularity.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Squantosawuss

As much as I like Pominville (and I do), but still......

He gave such a PU**Y ANSWER!!!!

I thought Luke asked a great question and I would have liked to hear who Pminville REALLY thought would be a great addition---since players def have players in mind they would love to play with, yet Jason gives THAT answer. Ugh.

Stop bending over backwards to slam Bucky. While he may have gone over the top in his criticizing of Pommers, he's not entirely wrong.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
He could've been vanilla and said, "their are so many good players in here, id love to have anyone of them on the Sabres"

the fact that he went into defense mode, immediately, without even really being prompted... to me thats another nugget of info into the mess that is the sabres lockerroom

but i read too much into things... and everything is fine. Derek Roy isn't the problem, Lindy Ruff isn't the problem... it's just injuries and stuff.
That's cute.

One can think there are problems inside that room and also think Pominville's answer is meaningless.

It becomes more obvious everyday that a lot of us are looking for things to point out to show how bad the locker room is messed up, in hopes that it will mean change is more likely.

Hey, I want that too, but not at the cost of reading into every single answer given by any sabres player about anything and putting a negative spin on it.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Trolls gonna troll. Bucky has such a deep seeded hate for the current front office and players on this team, its embarrassing. Clue time bucky. Fill your articles with content not opinion and you'll suddenly get alot more respect from the org. The players and management don't like you because you act like an insider when you're not.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
That's cute.

One can think there are problems inside that room and also think Pominville's answer is meaningless.
So you think it was just a generic answer, and not reflective of how the Sabres are struggling and how it's affected the lockerroom?

I think that's naive.

the generic/meaningless answer is something along the lines of "oh, all these guys are the best players in the world, I'd love to have any one of them".

the answer we got was a reflection of a team that is fragile, and a Captain who knows it.