HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2012, 10:48 AM
InShannyWeTrust
Bring on the trades!

vCash: 500
Dion Phaneuf

I know I'm a couple of days late but I want to know if anybody else is concerned/embarrassed that in a game that his team scores 12 goals Dion didn't register a single point and was a minus 3!!! You have to be kinding me right?

I'm really trying not to be biased because I do think Phaneuf is overrated and not worth the 6+ million we pay him but even saying that I expected him to get a point in a game where the point is to score... He's slow, awful and clearing out the front of his net, has an awesome shot (when he doesnt put it up into the netting) and is aways out of position

I realize that an all-star game is a glorified shinny game but even though he's playing better this year he still annoys me and I'm just waiting for him to show me different...

Flame away

Old
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBurkeWeTrust View Post
I know I'm a couple of days late but I want to know if anybody else is concerned/embarrassed that in a game that his team scores 12 goals Dion didn't register a single point and was a minus 3!!! You have to be kinding me right?

I'm really trying not to be biased because I do think Phaneuf is overrated and not worth the 6+ million we pay him but even saying that I expected him to get a point in a game where the point is to score... He's slow, awful and clearing out the front of his net, has an awesome shot (when he doesnt put it up into the netting) and is aways out of position

I realize that an all-star game is a glorified shinny game but even though he's playing better this year he still annoys me and I'm just waiting for him to show me different...

Flame away
Its the All-Star game. Defensemen might as well be pylons.

Old
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Are you drunk?

Old
mooseOAK*

You're also a dollar short. That they even keep plus-minus stats for an All Star game is kind of funny.

Isn't starting a thread with the expectation of being flamed trolling?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Tapcondition

yeah he wasn't utilizing his physical style very well for some reason what's up with that

Old
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
SprDaVE

Kessel didn't even register a shot at last years all-star game.

It's too easy to flame you for this.

People will truly complain about anything they can. It really is unbelievable.

Also, isn't there all ready a thread about Dion?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1089933

Old
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Kessel didn't even register a shot at last years all-star game.

It's too easy to flame you for this.

People will truly complain about anything they can. It really is unbelievable.
Not to mention there's literally the exact same title of a thread with all Dion discussion just halfway down the front page of the board.....

Old
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:

Flame away
Well, I think your post lacks imagination. You should have gone with "Seguin was clearly the best player on his line."

btw, I'm pretty sure Phaneuf led the game in blocked shots.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Old
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Suntouchable13

Let's say he would hit free agency this summer, he would easily get 6+ per year on the open market.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
number72

Quote:

Flame away
Anyone notice how many times Phaneuf was the lone guy defender on a 2 or 3 on 1 in the ASG?

Ignoring the ASG and his capacity as a captain, Burke has not really set up the team so Phaneuf can perform to his full potential. Dion has to take the "tough" shutdown roles because the leafs don't have anyone playing well enough yet (Schenn and Komisarek). This hurts his offensive production compared to a guy like Campbell who can focus on putting up points and Campbell has Weaver who can shutdown top lines. Gunnar helps him alot but he is a sort of jack of all trades. Also Burke's soft top 6 and the absent truculence from Komi/Schenn means Phaneuf for some reason thinks he needs to drop gloves. He is stretched way to far so it is tough to know if he is overwhelmed and just to judge how good he could be as a defender.

Besides Suck it Phaneuf

Old
01-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Kulemon

How did Shea weber do?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
kellmuff96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Let's say he would hit free agency this summer, he would easily get 6+ per year on the open market.
You really think? Look at the comparable dmen contracts out there. Phaneuf isnt a top 10 dman in the league and has regressed since his Norris nomination year. Giving him 6+ is an overpayment

Old
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
bozaksniffles*

Considering some of the "rules" that get enforced around here, it amazes me that the mods allow this kind of thread.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
Considering some of the "rules" that get enforced around here, it amazes me that the mods allow this kind of thread.
We're Big Blue. We can handle it.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
You really think? Look at the comparable dmen contracts out there. Phaneuf isnt a top 10 dman in the league and has regressed since his Norris nomination year. Giving him 6+ is an overpayment
You must not be familiar with how free agency works.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Of course he posts this on the 2-year anniversary of the Phaneuf trade too

Old
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Thankfully we don't need to worry about that. The cost to replace Phaneuf would be extremely high.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
If Komisarek could get 4.5 per year, then why not Dion? He can play reliably in every situation, against the other team's best players, he is physical, a leader, and he is just entering his prime. Come on, don't sell him short.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Seriously? It's the friggin all-star game.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Yes he is a bit overpaid but we already knew that.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Ari91

Did you also noticed how many times Phaneuf was left in the zone by himself to defend while his partner pinched? It's a game that's supposed to be fun and guys take chances that they wouldn't normally take. You're reading way too much into the game. If you're going to criticize Phaneuf for his performances, you have better examples than an all-star game to pick apart.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

I wonder if Nashville will trade Weber for Phaneuf?

Two pointless bums

What do you think, OP????

Old
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Andrew Mack

It was extremely embarrassing. I was so ashamed of this team. Not only that, but five of our other defenders didn't even make the All-Star Game. Time to start trading them for real All-Stars. One time Nicklas Lidstrom was -3 in a regular season game as well, so I don't want that scrub. Howabout we bring in Suter, Yandle and Chara to start next season.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
InherentPoster

Dude how come Phaneuf didn't blast some 100mph slapshots at all the players shins during the game? Didn't he know it was the perfect opportunity to eliminate some of the competitions best players?

Closed Thread