HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Anyone interested in doing a GM game?

Old
01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Try other Sabres boards or post it in the games section?

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:59 PM
captaincrunch89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Try other Sabres boards or post it in the games section?
Thats the thing, there are already two of these things going on in the Main Forum. I dunno, I have always wanted to do something like this but I feel like its only really viable with a simulation program. Otherwise it doesn't work long term.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
Realistically it will probably be tough to convince enough people from one board to do this. If we get enough people I propose this. We have a 30 game season over a period of two weeks with a trade deadline halfway through. We hold FA and a draft after the real NHL season ends and once that is completed we run a second season.

Once that season is over however it will be tough to continue quickly as player values will not be certain and having a second draft will be next to impossible. I like this idea a lot but it won't work IMO unless we stretch it out over a long period of time.
Ya thats the problem, you don't know about the next draft.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Thats the thing, there are already two of these things going on in the Main Forum. I dunno, I have always wanted to do something like this but I feel like its only really viable with a simulation program. Otherwise it doesn't work long term.
If anyone wants to run one through EHM, I'm game to start one up again.

Not to step on any toes.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
If anyone wants to run one through EHM, I'm game to start one up again.

Not to step on any toes.
You Have the simulatior thing? that would be fine. I mostly wanted to be the comis lol

Old
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
You Have the simulatior thing? that would be fine. I mostly wanted to be the comis lol
Yeah we've run a through EHM (Eastside Hockey Manager) before. Usually it's me or Duddy that run it. And by run it I mean push papers and fill out requests. Running an EHM amounts to being a secretary for any other players who take up the role of GM.

And I'd be happy to set one up if you guys want to run one that way. At least this way we get a new crop of draftees and trades aren't subjected to human influence beyond "Offer them this and vote"

Old
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Yeah we've run a through EHM (Eastside Hockey Manager) before. Usually it's me or Duddy that run it. And by run it I mean push papers and fill out requests. Running an EHM amounts to being a secretary for any other players who take up the role of GM.

And I'd be happy to set one up if you guys want to run one that way. At least this way we get a new crop of draftees and trades aren't subjected to human influence beyond "Offer them this and vote"
I ve never done it but would be willing to try, how do trades work?

Old
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
I ve never done it but would be willing to try, how do trades work?
If it's human to human the two (or three or whatever) negotiate amongst themselves until they agree, then each send me a PM and I put the trade through on their behalf. If it's from human to CPU they give me a proposal and if the computer accepts it goes through and if not I come back to them and tell them how close they are or what the counter-offer is if the computer offers one.

Usually we take a week or so to negotiate, make line changes, roster moves then I'd sim a month, and then after posting an update we'd have another week or so to tweak our teams again however we saw fit. Ask Duddy or iciclesonapapershelf for more details. We were pretty ridiculous about it at one point. But it is a lot of fun.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
If it's human to human the two (or three or whatever) negotiate amongst themselves until they agree, then each send me a PM and I put the trade through on their behalf. If it's from human to CPU they give me a proposal and if the computer accepts it goes through and if not I come back to them and tell them how close they are or what the counter-offer is if the computer offers one.

Usually we take a week or so to negotiate, make line changes, roster moves then I'd sim a month, and then after posting an update we'd have another week or so to tweak our teams again however we saw fit. Ask Duddy or iciclesonapapershelf for more details. We were pretty ridiculous about it at one point. But it is a lot of fun.
I am absolutely interested in doing this, it also removes the problem of not having enough GM's.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:

Ya lets give it a try, do you have people to act as agents or is that the computer?

Old
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
I am absolutely interested in doing this, it also removes the problem of not having enough GM's.
Only problem is they stopped making the game in 2007 so that's where you start. So no Jets, just the Thrashers. And the rosters are of course, current to 2007. (There are updates to make the rosters more current, I think they go until like 2010 maybe?)

Quote:
Ya lets give it a try, do you have people to act as agents or is that the computer?
Computer controlled. But all of the FA's have favorite staff, players, and contract demands that you can negotiate, and all have a personality. I signed Bryant Burgess (An Ovechkin clone) to a 12 year deal that really minimized his cap hit because he was a team player that liked where he was.

Meanwhile some of my third liners were always prima-donnas and required 5 million dollar salaries.

I gotta head to work. But if anyone else joins just add them to this thread and I'll set it up say Friday night so we make sure enough people that want in can get in. And if anyone comes in late I can always add a GM mid-game.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'm absolutely down for participating, but I absolutely do not have the time or energy to run one at this point. I'd love to, as it's fun for me, but too much real life stuff to actually run it.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:37 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I'm absolutely down for participating, but I absolutely do not have the time or energy to run one at this point. I'd love to, as it's fun for me, but too much real life stuff to actually run it.
Pick a team, open the Tom Golisano playbook. AKA serial detachment.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Pick a team, open the Tom Golisano playbook. AKA serial detachment.

Is this 05 or 07?

Old
02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

Is this 05 or 07?
Seven, but I am going to run and see if I can find any databases to update it so it's at least a little more current.

And for EHM I think I'm changing my allegiance from the Pens to the Kings, so that frees up the Pens for anybody that wants 'em.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Seven, but I am going to run and see if I can find any databases to update it so it's at least a little more current.

And for EHM I think I'm changing my allegiance from the Pens to the Kings, so that frees up the Pens for anybody that wants 'em.
07. Hmm. I'll take....Calgary. Anyone over 31 is on the block. Going for the 2 year rebuild.

And sorry to totally hijack your thread, 1972Evegeni guy.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:06 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
07. Hmm. I'll take....Calgary. Anyone over 31 is on the block. Going for the 2 year rebuild.

And sorry to totally hijack your thread, 1972Evegeni guy.
I love that as the norm for rebuilds in real life change, so do our strategies in EHM.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
I love that as the norm for rebuilds in real life change, so do our strategies in EHM.
Keeps me interested, at least.

Maybe you should make a new thread.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:35 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Keeps me interested, at least.

Maybe you should make a new thread.
On it my good man.

Evgeni I'll transplant the team picks over to an EHM thread so we can get the ball rolling in the next day or two.