HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

University of Michigan Regents Approves NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium

Old
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
University of Michigan Regents Approves NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium

Great business board fodder. $3 million from the NHL for the lease, plus the league will make donations towards the University of Michigan scholarship fund.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...02080394/1128/
Quote:
The University of Michigan Regents have approved leasing Michigan Stadium to the NHL for the league’s Winter Classic on Jan. 1, 2013, that will feature the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Regents held a special meeting Wednesday morning to address the leasing, which would draw $3 million from the NHL.
A liquor license would be obtained — liquor is not served on campus at Michigan — and the NHL will have advertising and other sponsorship agreements throughout the stadium. There is no advertising at Michigan Stadium for football games.
President Mary Sue Coleman ran the special meeting that most regents attended via conference call. Interestingly, regent Denise Ilitch, whose father, Mike Ilitch, owns the Red Wings and Tigers, chose to abstain from voting, saying that while she has no direct interest in the NHL, she has family ties to the league and this situation.

Brandon made clear the Winter Classic is not a university event. The NHL will handle marketing and ticket sales, but the Michigan Stadium event crew will assist in the production of the hockey game.

More info on Comerica and the Alumni Game:
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....d_wings_4.html

NHL.com:
Quote:
The National Hockey League will make a major announcement in Detroit on Thursday, Feb. 9.

The press conference will take place at Comerica Park in Detroit, beginning at 10:30 a.m. ET. It will be carried live on NHL Network and NHL.com. The event will continue at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Great news for the league. Lot of money, but they will make that before the game even starts.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

This is perfect. The stadium splitting is a great idea, too. It really drives home the new reality of Metro Detroit, in a way... not a centrally focused metro area but one with a whole bunch of different polities.

How much does this compare with previous prices for venues?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Confucius

Fudge 3 million is alot for rental. that's 30 bucks from each ticket. Anyway, can't wait for the tickets to go onsale..

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
if the average ticket price is $200, they'll still come close to around $15 million in profits just from ticket sales.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Waltah*

i couldnt care less about detroit and dont like toronto but this will be good to watch now that the leafs are competitive. not to mention the potential uniforms will be awesome...

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I'm a bit upset that the Alumni Game will be at Comerica instead of Yost, but Ilitch is one owner you do not cross...

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

What a cool venue that is going to be, makes me wish I lived closer to Michigan!

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
AngryBeavers
Suh Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I'm a bit upset that the Alumni Game will be at Comerica instead of Yost, but Ilitch is one owner you do not cross...
It would be too small. Yost only seats like ~7k

AngryBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBeavers View Post
It would be too small. Yost only seats like ~7k
That would jack up the ticket prices a bit, but I think the small old arena feel is what the Alumni game needs. I suppose it'd be cool but entirely not practical.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As long as the game itself cooperates, this could be the best Winter Classic yet. The stadium, teams involved, weather, and other elements of the experience are going to be awesome.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Official NHL Announcement of a Presser from the DRW set for 10:30 AM Tomorrow likely confirming the Winter Classic.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Have to admit, it is pretty damn nice that the NHL's announcing this well in advance as opposed to last year.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

How far is michigan state stadium to comerica park?

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I think you mean Michigan Stadium and with that, you've made a lot of UM fans very unhappy.

It's about 45-50 minutes from Ann Arbor to Detroit.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post

Do you mean Michigan State University in East Lansing (Spartan Stadium), or University of Michigan and Michigan Stadium (aka The Big House) in Ann Arbor, the latter being the venue for the Winter Classic?

For the WC events, Google says 43 miles, and about 50 min. If you drive like a normal Michigander, it's less than that.

(MSU distance to Comerica 90 miles, and 1.5 hrs.)

Old
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Although I'm excited, it does seem a bit bittersweet to see the University I go to prostitute itself for money that most likely won't help students or employees but will go into one of the many money-pit projects the university participates in...

Old
02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

wait until you graduate and you're being asked for donations for the same purpose at every single turn.

seriously, though, a lot of people don't know that this isn't the first time Michigan Stadium has done something like this

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 07:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
$6 x 110000 = $660000

$200 x 110000 = $22 million

How times have changed

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:12 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:
It's his team, I don't fault him for wanting to have a piece of the Winter Classic pie. As for the game itself, entering the (I think) untapped Canadian market is gold. Unlike in the US, college bowl games are a blip on the radar in Canada and this could become a New Year's Day tradition on both sides of the border.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
It's his team, I don't fault him for wanting to have a piece of the Winter Classic pie. As for the game itself, entering the (I think) untapped Canadian market is gold. Unlike in the US, college bowl games are a blip on the radar in Canada and this could become a New Year's Day tradition on both sides of the border.
as the NCAA moves slowly to a playoff system for D1 football, New Year's Day as a college bowl fest becomes more irrelevant. Plus, the Winter Classic has already shown it can hold its own against college football...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Playoffs is all speculation at the moment, and won't change the bulk of the bowl structure. You'll still have the Capital One Bowl that day between the best Big Ten and SEC non-playoff qualifiers, among other games.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
as the NCAA moves slowly to a playoff system for D1 football, New Year's Day as a college bowl fest becomes more irrelevant. Plus, the Winter Classic has already shown it can hold its own against college football...
I hadn't thought about it this way, but it's a rather brilliant bit of positioning by the NHL. If the playoff system puts the championship game on New Year's, it will be a primetime game leaving the Winter Classic alone as the big afternoon event of the holiday. If the championship is on some other day, the Winter Classic is THE New Year's event. Pretty cool.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

On the other hand, you could have the 2 semifinals on NYD, with the title game around when it still normally is.

Old
02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Although I'm excited, it does seem a bit bittersweet to see the University I go to prostitute itself for money that most likely won't help students or employees but will go into one of the many money-pit projects the university participates in...
You're in the wrong country. Somehow, somewhere, academics took a backseat to sports for the majority of schools. Among other fudge factors schools use to let in the 'the best and brightest'. Purely OT, but does anyone think Nikola Tesla or Albert Einstein would have a shot at any elite colleges these days? Would they be 'rounded' enough, extroverted, exuberant-- and athletically gifted? I think our society would diagnose them with some _____ Syndrome (for nonextroverts who don't give a rat's ass about the other stuff). Tesla might get into Cal Poly though.....