HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
And how many of that 8 million who don't already follow everything Habs related will begin to follow everything Quebec City related?

Whereas Seattle could potentially take Washington from virtually nothing on the NHL map to actually having NW US representation, and thus an even more attractive national TV market for US sports broadcasters.

BUT AGAIN... This isn't an argument about Quebec City not getting a team because Seattle might get a relocated Coyotes team. Quebec City Will almost certainly get a team!
Actually at least half of Quebec hates the Habs. I am debating MaroonsRoad but lets be honest, right not Orr Quebec will bring a lot of money. The NHL needs the injection to be frank. The Best case scenario is to have expansion to seattle and the yotes to Quebec city.

BTW Maybe if Parizeau had focused on this some more and given the Nords the money, we are not talking about this. Say what you will about the dollar but the Nords had better attendance than Winnipeg. The people were there.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:13 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Sigh. I wish this piece of misinformation would die - implying that NHL broadcasts were not available in Seattle.

What KING (Seattle's NBC affiliate) has done is shift NBC programming from KING to it's sister station KONG - generally for early start East Coast sports programming which conflicted with it's higher rated local news. All that programming is available on KONG, which has the same geographic OTA and cable coverage - typically with a crawl on KING directing viewers to KONG for the NBC content.
You sure?

Quote:
gdecami said on April 25, 2010 at 10:45 AM - I am very unhappy about your decision to not carry the NBC hockey game that was promised all week. Surely you could have fit it in on KONG at least. It is the playoffs after all & a very important game in the Western Division! Who decided this & doesn't NBC have any control over local broadcasting?
Link:

http://www.king5.com/on-tv/TV-schedu...-65849577.html

Old
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
This is the biggest problem I have with picking Seattle over QC at this point in time.
First off if our city was availiable we would have gotten the Thrashers. Southern Ontario has the best of Canadian support and American money. If Winnipeg has even a slight drop in a few yeares it can be 13k think about that.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
And the person could not have Kong or not known so what was your point.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:16 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
No, Fortune is a global magazine. Quebec City has no Fortune global 500s!

Why are you also listing the MLS and CFL? Those are not major sports in this specific discussion. And right now the NBA is not in the discussion, leaving the NHL the only winter sport. Way to make a fair comparison.

Stop talking about global business if you know nothing about it. Every office (including Winnipeg) has a fortune and Forbes magazine. It what we read.
Wrong. The Fortune 500 is an annual list compiled by Fortune magazine that ranks the top 500 U.S. corporations as ranked by their gross revenue.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:17 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Actually at least half of Quebec hates the Habs. I am debating MaroonsRoad but lets be honest, right not Orr Quebec will bring a lot of money. The NHL needs the injection to be frank. The Best case scenario is to have expansion to seattle and the yotes to Quebec city.

BTW Maybe if Parizeau had focused on this some more and given the Nords the money, we are not talking about this. Say what you will about the dollar but the Nords had better attendance than Winnipeg. The people were there.

Question wouldn't it be better for Quebec City to be an expansion which will even bring in a bigger expansion fee than the league would get out of seattle?

Remember the last time NHL tried to expand to Seattle they pulled the expansion. Doesn't matter expansion wise no arena no expansion no team assuming they plan to expand anyways.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Wrong. The Fortune 500 is an annual list compiled by Fortune magazine that ranks the top 500 U.S. corporations as ranked by their gross revenue.
No. There is the Fortune 500, Fortune Global 500, the Fortune 1000. And the Forbes Global 2000. You don't know what you are talking about. I do. You just wanted to say that so you could draw the line and claim that you don't covet everything american. Fortune is required reading for us in the corporate world buddy.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:23 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
This is the biggest problem I have with picking Seattle over QC at this point in time.
You would or could likely use that argument with virtually any city out there that doesn't currently have an NHL team, as well as, most importantly, about a 1/3 or more of the NHL cities that do exist.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Question wouldn't it be better for Quebec City to be an expansion which will even bring in a bigger expansion fee than the league would get out of seattle?

Remember the last time NHL tried to expand to Seattle they pulled the expansion. Doesn't matter expansion wise no arena no expansion no team assuming they plan to expand anyways.
Thing is can Seattle support this troubled team? I would rather give QC this mess. And Seattle should start off fresh. The other new cities got that chance.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
No, Fortune is a global magazine. Quebec City has no Fortune global 500s!

Why are you also listing the MLS and CFL? Those are not major sports in this specific discussion. And right now the NBA is not in the discussion, leaving the NHL the only winter sport. Way to make a fair comparison.

Stop talking about global business if you know nothing about it. Every office (including Winnipeg) has a fortune and Forbes magazine. It what we read.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
dronald

Quote:
Thing is can Seattle support this troubled team? I would rather give QC this mess. And Seattle should start off fresh. The other new cities got that chance.
Wow, MM supporting team Canada for once? Haha.

If they do go to QC first it leaves open an expansion team in the West which would be Seattle, and one more in the East. (Toronto 2, Hammer)

Old
02-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Sorry. I had to cut him short. Say what you want for QC, but don't talk about corporate business like that if you don't know. Most of the Canadians on Bay St (our Wall st) read it. They do in Tokyo, London, Frankfurt, Moscow, Mumbai. I wonder what in the heck makes Ghost think Canada is so different.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

If they do go to QC first it leaves open an expansion team in the West which would be Seattle, and one more in the East. (Toronto 2, Hammer)
I do support. I support our city (Hamilton, Ontario). And our province first. Some people only want to claim Canada when its convienient, like CFL season. Otherwise they whine about transfer payments and culture. Wont name names, and it happens on and off this site. Western Canada does not support Eastern Canada at at times, so why should can about them.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:31 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Does it really matter? If its a relocated team or a fresh expansion team neither of them will be coming here with an already existing fanbase. They do not have the same fortunate that MLS did when they expanded to Seattle.

From a money perspective (not team perspective) would it be better for the league to give Seattle the yotes and give Quebec City an expansion team?

Old
02-04-2012, 11:32 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Western Canada does not support Eastern Canada at at times, so why should can about them.
Dude, if we piss them off they'll take their oil and cowboy hats and go home.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:33 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:

If this throws the thread off topic, forgive me but I really get irked when people talk about Hamilton. That would kill the Sabres.
A 2nd team in Toronto and maybe London (assuming they ever built an arena), I could see.
Personally, the only market in Canada that I think for sure should go before any US market at this point, is Toronto (2 teams).
Wouldn't look as bad in the eyes of the US naysayers.
Of course I'm not saying the US deserves it more than Canada, but, well, if you really want to be one of the big 4, then you need to grow your market in a country of 330 million people (and the cities don't have to be sunbelt cities necessarily, Seattle a perfect example of that), vs a country of 36 million (I love it, but there are more people that live in California then there are in all of Canada) where you're not growing the game.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Does it really matter? If its a relocated team or a fresh expansion team neither of them will be coming here with an already existing fanbase. They do not have the same fortunate that MLS did when they expanded to Seattle.

From a money perspective (not team perspective) would it be better for the league to give Seattle the yotes and give Quebec City an expansion team?
Yes but a bad team, for a few seasons would turn people off. A new team could come out the gate winning. Nothing and I mean NOTHING get more then winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
Dude, if we piss them off they'll take their oil and cowboy hats and go home.
Just go to the politcal section at times. I guess to be honest that is why I tune out of the CFL, and do many here.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:37 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If this throws the thread off topic, forgive me but I really get irked when people talk about Hamilton. That would kill the Sabres.
Discussed, debated and disproven. Sorry but the lineups for season tickets say no.

Old
Melrose Munch

Toronto - 2 NHL teams and no NFL team per Goddell. GTA has become a joke as a sports making.

Old
gstommylee

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._arena05m.html

Just saw this a Second ago.

Old
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
No. There is the Fortune 500, Fortune Global 500, the Fortune 1000. And the Forbes Global 2000. You don't know what you are talking about. I do. You just wanted to say that so you could draw the line and claim that you don't covet everything american. Fortune is required reading for us in the corporate world buddy.
Ok, buddy. Or should I say Mr. Corporate?

Old
02-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Discussed, debated and disproven. Sorry but the lineups for season tickets say no.
If it would not, then we should be allowed to have one. But the fact they have not should tell you something.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:41 PM
dronald

Quote:
If it would not, then we should be allowed to have one. But the fact they have not should tell you something.
Come on dude, lets not do this here.

At no point has the NHL ever said their reasons have anything to do with the Sabres. It's been discussed other places and it always comes down to the Sabres having lineups at the door for Season tickets. There is no arguement here.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Ok, buddy. Or should I say Mr. Corporate?
Stop it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_500

Quote:
The Fortune 500 is an annual list compiled and published by Fortune magazine that ranks the top 500 U.S. closely held and public corporations as ranked by their gross revenue after adjustments made by Fortune to exclude the impact of excise taxes companies collect.[
You mentioned this. This is not what beenhere and there was talking about clearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_Global_500

Quote:
The Fortune Global 500 is a ranking of the top 500 corporations worldwide as measured by revenue.
This is what is used and what beenhereandthere was talking about. That this has to be specified for you...

Old
02-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Come on dude, lets not do this here.

At no point has the NHL ever said their reasons have anything to do with the Sabres. It's been discussed other places and it always comes down to the Sabres having lineups at the door for Season tickets. There is no arguement here.
Fair enough.

Closed Thread