HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports II

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not from tonight, but I can't get enough of this gif:

Not even the dumbest thing he's done as a Wizard. Might not even crack his top 5 .

Old
02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Herregud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFountainhead View Post
Not even the dumbest thing he's done as a Wizard. Might not even crack his top 5 .
This is a depressing reality. At least he was thinking of running to get back on D.

Old
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
I dislike how awful the Wizards are, but it's not like Lin's been sucking and the Wizards shut Calderon down the second time they played him...

....so.
I really don't want to relentlessly bash my favorite basketball team. I honestly thought that what i posted would be completely uncontroversial and seconded, but I appear to have misread the room . Anyway, what they did to Calderon and the Raptors was beat a team on the second half of a road back to back, and even still, that very game they allowed Bayless, another average to slightly above average guard, to kill them on pick and rolls in the second half. He basically nuke bombed the Wizards after halftime, with much of his damage coming off the pick and roll.

I'm not going to disparage Lin's game, but again, what he did tonight was the equivalent of a boxer bludgeoning an opponent into submission with a jab. Unless it's Ali's jab (or an elite pg in this forced analogy), you had better make adjustments. You cannot allow a team to pick and roll you to death all game. The announcers even made note of how absurd it was that the Knicks killed the Wiz all night without even running anything approaching sophisticated motion offense.

Ok, I'm done crapping on the good guys (our struggling Wiz kids). Initially it was somewhat cathartic, but now i feel like I'm excoriating my own kid. A kid that happens to have a Forrest Gump like 75 IQ.

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 02-09-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
This is a depressing reality. At least he was thinking of running to get back on D.
Pretty much sums up Javale. He tries, but is just too dumb on the court. The embodiment of the expression 'million dollar body and a ten cent brain'.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quite a few people are suggesting that this years Wizards would contend for the worst team of all time if this was a full season.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

So the Orioles are signing Nick Johnson to a minor league deal.

What is this...2005?

Old
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Quite a few people are suggesting that this years Wizards would contend for the worst team of all time if this was a full season.
Considering there are two worse teams in the NBA right now--hyperbole.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

What is this...2005?

Remember that Korean pitcher they signed a few weeks ago?

@DanielKimW:
@jorgearangure Baltimore Orioles' scouts are now banned from all baseball stadiums in Korea.

@DanielKim:
@jorgearangure Dan Duquette... very famous in Korea right now. Plus, the kid is not even a prospect. Very bad signing. #whatWEREtheyTHINKING

Old
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Remember that Korean pitcher they signed a few weeks ago?

@DanielKimW:
@jorgearangure Baltimore Orioles' scouts are now banned from all baseball stadiums in Korea.

@DanielKim:
@jorgearangure Dan Duquette... very famous in Korea right now. Plus, the kid is not even a prospect. Very bad signing. #whatWEREtheyTHINKING

Wow.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

What is this...2005?

You know, if he stays healthy... ok I'll stop right there.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Just wait until they sign Manny and trade Jones for crap.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Just wait until they sign Manny and trade Jones for crap.
We'll give you Lannan for him.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Considering there are two worse teams in the NBA right now--hyperbole.
It's hyperbole, but I'm not sure that there are two worse teams in the league right now. There are two teams with worse records, but those teams have played the last month or so of the season with injuries to significant contributors. Eric Gordon, a borderline allstar caliber 2 guard has missed a bunch of games in a row for the Hornets, and DJ Augustine, a guy that killed the Wizards in a couple of games last season and a key reason the Bobcats let Felton go after their playoff run a few seasons back missed both Wizards games and virtually all of their current losing streak iirc. Gerald Henderson has also been in and out of the lineup for them for a while now, and while he's not a great individual player, he's a glue guy that contributes to their team beyond his statistical impact. If those players are healthy over the last month, it's very possible the Wiz have the worst record in the league.

Injuries are part of the game I know, but usually when evaluating the quality of a team you make health an irrelevant factor unless individual players have extensive injury histories and/or certain players are down with or coming back from serious issues. The overall, usable talent (read: contributing talent on a winning team) on the Wizards blows chunks beyond Wall, Booker, Vesely and Mack.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
We'll give you Lannan for him.
It would be SO awesome if we could get Jones without trading Rendon at the deadline. I'd try a Lannan, Goodwin, Meyer combination (the latter two as PTBNL of course) and maybe throw in Laroche so they can get the extra pick after the season (assuming he has a bounceback year). This team supplemented by Jones, Harper and Rendon in a year or two would be a handful and a true championship contender for a 5 year or so window assuming reasonably good health in their rotation.

I'm not sure either team would do that deal considering how high the Nats are on Meyer and Goodwin and given the fact that they just raided their system to complete the Gonzalez deal; and considering how far away those two are from an Orioles' perspective which, although the O's have no hope of contending for the next 3 to 4 seasons, that reality adds to the risk of such a deal. But it's potentially a really good trade for both parties imo. It's also possible that both could do better with those pieces or find more value elsewhere, so who knows.

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 02-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Not from tonight, but I can't get enough of this gif:

Its sad what Wall has to work with. Even recently drafted guys are providing little to nothing. I've seen so many times this year Wall setting up players for bunnies and they miss.

Side note, the more I see of Thomas Robinson(Kansas) the more I like. Really athletic, with great work ethic. A bit of a tweener, but I like his upside and I think he grew up in the area.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Its sad what Wall has to work with. Even recently drafted guys are providing little to nothing. I've seen so many times this year Wall setting up players for bunnies and they miss.

Side note, the more I see of Thomas Robinson(Kansas) the more I like. Really athletic, with great work ethic. A bit of a tweener, but I like his upside and I think he grew up in the area.
Robinson's a DC product. I really, really want the Davis kid from Kentucky, although it should be noted that he undoubtedly is the apple of every lottery team's eye. He would immediately make McGee expendable given his defensive aptitude, and because he projects to be a four, he ensures that at the very least Blatche doesn't see the floor in any significant way in a season or two.

Kidd Gilchrist also would be a tremendous addition if for nothing more than he plays with tremendous passion every night and he plays a heady game. I've almost forgotten what smart, tough basketball looks like on this level, and he would instantly be a leader and solid contributor on this team. He also has the talent base to be a terrific player from a skill perspective if he can become a more consistent shooter.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, Booker, Singleton and Vesely are really the only other young ones to show a pulse, and Vesely's skill set is um...limited. It's a shame about Vesely too, because he's easily got the best BB IQ of any of the young players not named Wall, and is very athletic. Maybe he can make some huge skill gains this coming off-season.

As for Booker and Singleton, they're solid role players, but the team needs more star quality.

My dream scenario in the draft would be getting Davis and trading some of the young guys (and maybe Young?) for another lottery pick to nab either MKG or Barnes. Need some more perimeter skill and smarts.

Wall-MKG/Barnes-Davis is a fantastic core going forward. Then you can just surround that with some veteran talent via free agency and trades.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

First things first.

Let Ernie go after the season.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
It would be SO awesome if we could get Jones without trading Rendon at the deadline. I'd try a Lannan, Goodwin, Meyer combination (the latter two as PTBNL of course) and maybe throw in Laroche so they can get the extra pick after the season (assuming he has a bounceback year). This team supplemented by Jones, Harper and Rendon in a year or two would be a handful and a true championship contender for a 5 year or so window assuming reasonably good health in their rotation.

I'm not sure either team would do that deal considering how high the Nats are on Meyer and Goodwin and given the fact that they just raided their system to complete the Gonzalez deal; and considering how far away those two are from an Orioles' perspective which, although the O's have no hope of contending for the next 3 to 4 seasons, that reality adds to the risk of such a deal. But it's potentially a really good trade for both parties imo. It's also possible that both could do better with those pieces or find more value elsewhere, so who knows.
I wouldn't give up that much for Jones. He can't play leadoff and he's not good enough defensively to be a must-have. But if the price is right why not?

Old
02-09-2012, 10:16 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Yeah, Booker, Singleton and Vesely are really the only other young ones to show a pulse, and Vesely's skill set is um...limited. It's a shame about Vesely too, because he's easily got the best BB IQ of any of the young players not named Wall, and is very athletic. Maybe he can make some huge skill gains this coming off-season.

As for Booker and Singleton, they're solid role players, but the team needs more star quality.

My dream scenario in the draft would be getting Davis and trading some of the young guys (and maybe Young?) for another lottery pick to nab either MKG or Barnes. Need some more perimeter skill and smarts.

Wall-MKG/Barnes-Davis is a fantastic core going forward. Then you can just surround that with some veteran talent via free agency and trades.
I think Nick is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and even if he isn't I really can't see anyone trading a 1st round pick for him, but beyond that I agree with this completely. What we might be able to do is offer McGee and a future first (ideally a lottery protected first) to move back up into the lottery. Even though he's a complete dullard, teams covet size, and his athletic ability is extremely rare. There is always the possibility that some club will think that they have the system in place to bring the best out of him.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
First things first.

Let Ernie go after the season.
I think that's waiting too long. I'd like to see a change before the deadline.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

I've been very underwhelmed by Barnes, he hasn't lived up to the hype and he isn't as athletic as you would think. MKG I do like, but the problem with Barnes/MKG is their both 3's at the next level, and we already spent two 1sts last draft on 3's. Granted Vesely is more of a hybrid.

Drummond has disappointed me as has Sullinger, Robinson is the only big not named Davis that seems like a good fit here.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I think that's waiting too long. I'd like to see a change before the deadline.
Well yeah. I just don't think Ted has the balls to do it. Sadly.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I think Nick is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and even if he isn't I really can't see anyone trading a 1st round pick for him, but beyond that I agree with this completely. What we might be able to do is offer McGee and a future first (ideally a lottery protected first) to move back up into the lottery. Even though he's a complete dullard, teams covet size, and his athletic ability is extremely rare. There is always the possibility that some club will think that they have the system in place to bring the best out of him.
I think we could get a mid-late first for him from a contender (the Clippers strike me as a team that could rally use him) that needs a 2 guard. For all his weaknesses, NY fills it up at times, and can shoot and man up on defense. A team acquiring him wouldn't need to free up any cap space, as his salary would fit under the mid-level exception.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I wouldn't give up that much for Jones. He can't play leadoff and he's not good enough defensively to be a must-have. But if the price is right why not?
It's a lot, and I seriously doubt that Rizzo would pull the trigger on that deal, but having that bat in our future order would be a dream. Some configuration of Rendon, Werth, Harper, Zimmerman, Morse, Espinosa, Jones and Ramos would make my head explode. It would be ruinous to other NL clubs, even without a true leadoff hitter, and in conjunction with our rotation, might make us WS favorites/heavy contenders.

Closed Thread