HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Admiration of Rick Nash (In Comparison to Dwight Howard)

Old
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Andrew Sykes

vCash: 500
An Admiration of Rick Nash (In Comparison to Dwight Howard)

Hey Jackets fans, had an article published today about Rick Nash that you might be interested in:

http://thehockeywriters.com/an-admir...dwight-howard/

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Speedy Sanderson

There is a lot to be said for Nash sticking it out in Columbus, and I admire his willingness to sign a long-term deal with a small market team. He's certainly seems like a good person who gives back to the community and I don't think you'll ever see him making the front page of the Dispatch for doing anything sordid. With that said, he seems to be a fairly laid-back guy, and in Columbus he can operate both on and off the ice without too much scrutiny. It wouldn't be like that in Toronto or Philly or one of the larger markets. So I wonder whether he'd ever want to leave. Personally, I hope he plays his entire career here - he's the only Jacket player that an average NHL fan can identify with this team.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

While I'll say that judging almost any NHL player against almost any NBA player, you'd be hard pressed to find quality on the basketball side ... the article was tastefully written, and provides nice insight to Nasher. Some of the posters around here have been fairly brutal on the captain at times, and I definitely think they take Rick Nash for granted. My biggest hope is that this team can breed a competitor at some point in the near future, and that Rick Nash is a big part of that. It's completely owed to him, and he undoubtedly deserves it - no matter what people say about his work ethic.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Well said, SS and SL!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
aemoreira1981

Love the article...this guy really is loyal to his franchise through thick and thin. One of the players I would compare to him in the NHL is Iggy, who like Nash, has not asked out of a horrible situation.

Would it also have been fair to make the comparison in his own locker room, comparing Rick Nash to Jeff Carter? (In all fairness, the Blue Jackets did not draft Carter.)

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post
There is a lot to be said for Nash sticking it out in Columbus, and I admire his willingness to sign a long-term deal with a small market team. He's certainly seems like a good person who gives back to the community and I don't think you'll ever see him making the front page of the Dispatch for doing anything sordid. With that said, he seems to be a fairly laid-back guy, and in Columbus he can operate both on and off the ice without too much scrutiny. It wouldn't be like that in Toronto or Philly or one of the larger markets. So I wonder whether he'd ever want to leave. Personally, I hope he plays his entire career here - he's the only Jacket player that an average NHL fan can identify with this team.
Good post, you need to stick around... I don't agree with everything but a good post NTL...

My opinion, Nash is sweet and sour, yes he's a great player but on the other hand I think many locker room eyes are on him after the many games he appears (APPEARS) to take the night off...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Love the article...this guy really is loyal to his franchise through thick and thin. One of the players I would compare to him in the NHL is Iggy, who like Nash, has not asked out of a horrible situation.

Would it also have been fair to make the comparison in his own locker room, comparing Rick Nash to Jeff Carter? (In all fairness, the Blue Jackets did not draft Carter.)
Good comparison to Iggy, but still, when he was in his prime the Flames were making the playoffs every year and have at least continued to challenge for a spot. Actually someone that just came to mind was Shane Doan. He remained with the same team for years even though they were rarely a playoff team, but he was never on the same superstar level that Nash is.

I dont think Carter has really ever been a bad team guy. He was almost shockingly traded from Philly and has had an awful time with injuries this year. Probably been a pretty tough year for him; other than being a multi-million dollar athlete...lol

Thanks for reading folks

Old
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 952
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
With the talent and ability to match any NHL star
This is demonstrably false. Rick Nash is a second tier star. You cannot, by any measure, put him on the same level as players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, any of Detroit's best players, any of Vancouver's best players, etc. This is why the CBJ have failed. We have continually overvalued Rick Nash and have made him the cornerstone of the franchise because he was our only star. Understandable, but it is at the very root of the problems this franchise faces.

It's because Dwight Howard is not overvalued that the Orlando Magic are in such big trouble when it comes to their future. Dwight Howard is a top 10 player in the NBA, quite possibly a top 5 player. Some, not me personally, but some, might take him first in a discussion of players you'd like to start your NBA franchise with.

Rick Nash would not be involved in any such discussion in NHL circles. You'd get through quite a few, at least 10 to 15, players before you got to Rick Nash.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
This is demonstrably false. Rick Nash is a second tier star. You cannot, by any measure, put him on the same level as players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, any of Detroit's best players, any of Vancouver's best players, etc. This is why the CBJ have failed. We have continually overvalued Rick Nash and have made him the cornerstone of the franchise because he was our only star. Understandable, but it is at the very root of the problems this franchise faces.

It's because Dwight Howard is not overvalued that the Orlando Magic are in such big trouble when it comes to their future. Dwight Howard is a top 10 player in the NBA, quite possibly a top 5 player. Some, not me personally, but some, might take him first in a discussion of players you'd like to start your NBA franchise with.

Rick Nash would not be involved in any such discussion in NHL circles. You'd get through quite a few, at least 10 to 15, players before you got to Rick Nash.
Not true. If he was on a winning team with better players around him he could very well be mentioned with the likes of the players you listed. And I'm not just talking about one star linemate. I'm talking about an entire winning attitude from top to bottom. He has and continues to just drag along in an organization that has failed to ever even come close to success and it has hindered his production greatly. If he was on a perennial contender I have little doubt that he would be a 80-90 point guy every year.

How are you going to put his situation in the same pot as "Vancouver and Detroit's star players"? Do you not know how easy it is to become a "star" on those teams? I'm quite confident Ryan Kesler would have never become the player he is if he played his whole career with Columbus...

You really dont think that if Nash was on either of those teams that he wouldnt be 10 times the player he is in Columbus? Come on now. Slide Rick Nash onto one of Boston's top two lines and he becomes a Richard Trophy candidate and easily hits 80+ points.

Last edited by Andrew Sykes: 02-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
Not true.
With all due respect to Nash, when you start listing players like Crosby, Malkin, IK, etc, you start listing players that can produce at a high level no matter who is around them. Nash isn't at that level.

Now I agree that the other posters comments were not quite accurate. However, Nash isn't really a franchise or generational talent. He is a rare star, but he's a step below that franchise tag and he is certainly not a Great One, Crosby, or Mario. He's not even a Lindros before his injuries.

Now as for a complete player, would I have traded Nash for Zetterberg or Datsyuk before the start of the season? If either one of them was 28 or 29, I sure would have. I would have given Nash and Jake for Stamkos... :p (maybe not, but a little hyperbole didn't seem totally out of line)

Look I respect Nash for sticking it out. On the flip side you can also question Nash's desire to win. There are two sides to a coin.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
With all due respect to Nash, when you start listing players like Crosby, Malkin, IK, etc, you start listing players that can produce at a high level no matter who is around them. Nash isn't at that level.

Now I agree that the other posters comments were not quite accurate. However, Nash isn't really a franchise or generational talent. He is a rare star, but he's a step below that franchise tag and he is certainly not a Great One, Crosby, or Mario. He's not even a Lindros before his injuries.

Now as for a complete player, would I have traded Nash for Zetterberg or Datsyuk before the start of the season? If either one of them was 28 or 29, I sure would have. I would have given Nash and Jake for Stamkos... :p (maybe not, but a little hyperbole didn't seem totally out of line)

Look I respect Nash for sticking it out. On the flip side you can also question Nash's desire to win. There are two sides to a coin.
lol I'm quite aware he's not a Crosby, Gretzky, Mario etc. I simply said if he were on a better team he could produce every bit as much as the elite players in today's game do.

And I dont see how his "desire to win" can even be questioned because he has never been in a situation where he was given a realistic chance at winning. The only time he's had a chance to shine was the times he played for Team Canada and look what he did there. At the World Championships he was a flat out dominant player and at the Olympics he was one of Canada's most dangerous forwards throughout.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
lol I'm quite aware he's not a Crosby, Gretzky, Mario etc. I simply said if he were on a better team he could produce every bit as much as the elite players in today's game do.

And I dont see how his "desire to win" can even be questioned because he has never been in a situation where he was given a realistic chance at winning. The only time he's had a chance to shine was the times he played for Team Canada and look what he did there. At the World Championships he was a flat out dominant player and at the Olympics he was one of Canada's most dangerous forwards throughout.

It's been awhile but I thought Nash was moved around (lines) during the last Olympics ending up on third line if I recall..

Regardless, Nash is a good player, folks here have watched almost every game of his career so all responses are a source of fan information. Personally I think he would be a much better player on a team with more talent but it would also be interesting to test this theory. In truth we don't know if he would be better, the same or worse.. It’s all speculation. As for NHL play, is all we know is what we see on the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Last edited by Robert: 02-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Low 90 point range? Maybe. 110-120 points? highly doubt it.

Quote:
Because he had the chance to part ways with the Jackets and control where he went, to a certain extent. Even if it was loyalty, he put that above winning.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote