HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Morrow and Lukowich to CHL - pathetic!

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Peter

vCash: 500
Morrow and Lukowich to CHL - pathetic!

According to www.tsn.ca both Morrow and Lukowich will be playing (are playing) for the Central Hockey League. The Central frikin' Hockey League...about 4 steps below the NHL...a league that has a salary cap...how insane is this??? What on earth are these two NHL regulars doing stealing jobs from some player who has no chance ever to see the NHL???? This is pathetic. Going to Europe is one thing but going to the CHL is another - give your heads a shake boys. They can't be too serious about being "morally" against salary caps...they just joined a league that has one.

Old
10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Go Flames Go*

Bring on the replacements. These guys are nothing but scabs to, Lukowich and Morrow. Just another shot in the heart of the NHLPA. Its getting crazy now how the NHL holds the upper hand on these greedy loosers.

Zip em up in plastic cause its a wrap baby.

Old
10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
PecaFan

Nobody ever said the NHLPA was morally consistent.

Old
10-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Cawz

I was watching a segment on Hockey Central last night, and they were talking to Bill McCreary, the nhl ref. He said all the refs got together before the shutdown and said they wouldn’t go and work in the lower leagues, as they found it disrespectful to the industry to take the jobs of other refs.

So heres a group that’s not even involved in the disagreement, but they still have enough honor to respect their peers in the industry. Makes you wonder about the scabs playing elsewhere. Makes you wonder about the people that actually defending the scabs playing elsewhere. The refs are about as impartial as you can get, while still being close to it all, and they are calling out the scabs taking hockey players jobs.

Old
10-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
I was watching a segment on Hockey Central last night, and they were talking to Bill McCreary, the nhl ref. He said all the refs got together before the shutdown and said they wouldn’t go and work in the lower leagues, as they found it disrespectful to the industry to take the jobs of other refs.

So heres a group that’s not even involved in the disagreement, but they still have enough honor to respect their peers in the industry. Makes you wonder about the scabs playing elsewhere. Makes you wonder about the people that actually defending the scabs playing elsewhere. The refs are about as impartial as you can get, while still being close to it all, and they are calling out the scabs taking hockey players jobs.
Bravo to the refs.....

I saw a documentary the other day. I can't remember names, but one ref/linesman was driving a truck another working in home renovation & the list wnet on. If these hockey players feel so committed about strengthening the game for those who play after them as they keep saying, they should be doing the same thing as the officials.

The hockey players are just stupid anyway! Some other owner is taking advantage of their name and paying them a wage that might almost feed Mike Modano's dog for a month!!! Hopefully if the players do come to an agreement, the Lonny bohono's of the hockey world will get a few extra bucks for helping these European & lessor North American league owners pick up the pieces of a deserted team in mid-season.....

Old
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Ironic in that Bohonos and Lukovich play for the same CHL team now.

Personally, I think it's a splendid thing that NHLers are playing in some of the smaller southern markets. Helps to raise the profile of the sport.

I bet fans in Oklahoma City and Fort Worth aren't complaining.

Old
10-19-2004, 05:34 PM
BLONG7

The PA and it's members are a JOKE!!!!

Old
10-19-2004, 06:14 PM
littleHossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman

Personally, I think it's a splendid thing that NHLers are playing in some of the smaller southern markets. Helps to raise the profile of the sport.

that's what an owner would say, "Raise the fan interest blah blah" you're on the player's side remember, it begins and ends with the welfare of the players, and it isn't protected in this case.

Last edited by littleHossa: 10-19-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Sotnos

Lukowich has a house near there, his wife is from Texas, so this keeps their kid close to the grandparents and keeps him in shape. He knows one of the team's owners and got asked by the coach to play there, and he accepted.

I'm glad Lukowich is attempting to keep himself in shape (for once), but I do agree that these guys are taking paychecks away from others who probably need them a whole lot more. These teams that are taking these guys on are just doing what they think is best, and these NHLers might be a selling point for tickets.

These players apparently don't care that they're messing with someone else's livelihood, so if scabs come in and take their jobs in the future, there had better not be any complaining from them!

Old
10-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Bicycle Repairman

What hasn't been mentioned yet is the invaluable mentoring role players such as Morrow and Lukowich can provide to their teammates. True, they may have displaced a player or two with their presense, but those players probably didn't have much of a pro hockey future to begin with. I think it's a win-win situation.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
These players apparently don't care that they're messing with someone else's livelihood, so if scabs come in and take their jobs in the future, there had better not be any complaining from them!
Exactly. So I wonder how long till someone takes a run at one of the superstar scabs.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
Exactly. So I wonder how long till someone takes a run at one of the superstar scabs.
I'm afraid you understand little of labour terminology. Lukowich and Morrow aren't crossing picket lines, ergo they are not "scabs."

Old
10-19-2004, 06:44 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:

Fort Worth Texas isn't exactly far from Dallas.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinFan
Fort Worth Texas isn't exactly far from Dallas.
True, but they also play road games.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:48 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
True, but they also play road games.
There we go, now I can't respond other than saying it's the CHL and the attendance levels are low enough, having Morrow and Lukowich in the league will not increase attendance.

Bohonos isn't even worth mentioning.

Old
10-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Marconius

Quote:
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the invaluable mentoring role players such as Morrow and Lukowich can provide to their teammates. True, they may have displaced a player or two with their presense, but those players probably didn't have much of a pro hockey future to begin with. I think it's a win-win situation.
...a win-win situation? How do you figure. If the goal is to improve the name of hockey in the south, there are better ways to do it then by having locked out NHL'ers come down. If the goal is to tutor younger guys, there are better ways to do it then by having locked out NHL'ers come down

For me that's the equivalent of saying that a nuke would wipe out all the mosquitos on the planet, so it's a "win-win situation"

Old
10-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
There we go, now I can't respond other than saying it's the CHL and the attendance levels are low enough, having Morrow and Lukowich in the league will not increase attendance.
You might want to do some research. Many Central League attendance figures put AHL teams' to shame. In fact, the Oklahoma City Blazers lead alll 93 North American minor league teams last season.

Last edited by Bicycle Repairman: 10-19-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Cawz

Quote:
I'm afraid
Dont be afraid. Its ok.
Quote:
Lukowich and Morrow aren't crossing picket lines, ergo they are not "scabs."
Ya, I know. Thats why I called them superstar scabs. A scab is actually a disease of the skin or something that forms over a cut. But unions adopted the term a few hundred years ago, since it was a slang being used for hundreds of years prior to that to mean a rascal or a scoundral.

So basically, I'm stealing the stolen term and pointing it right back at the people disrespecting the industry. Does a scoundral not sound like someone who refuses to work under a cap, then goes somewhere else and works happily under a cap?

Old
10-19-2004, 07:22 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
You might want to do some research. Many Central League attendance figures put AHL teams' to shame. In fact, the Oklahoma City Blazers lead alll 93 North American minor league teams last season.
That's 1 team....

Old
10-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
So basically, I'm stealing the stolen term and pointing it right back at the people disrespecting the industry. Does a scoundral not sound like someone who refuses to work under a cap, then goes somewhere else and works happily under a cap?
No, I would not call that person a scoundrel. I would call that unfortunate circumstance.

Old
10-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
In 03/04, the AHL had 7 teams that averaged 7000 fans/game. The CHL had one (Oklahoma).

According to the AHL's official site, Manchester had the highest average attendance at 9,140. Oklahoma (according to this), had an average attendance of 8,763.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

Old
10-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Perhaps you should follow your own advice.
Yes, my bad. I used older figures off the CHL's own website. Regardless, the CHL isn't drawing the flies that was earlier argued.

Old
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Lukowich has a house near there, his wife is from Texas, so this keeps their kid close to the grandparents and keeps him in shape. He knows one of the team's owners and got asked by the coach to play there, and he accepted.

I'm glad Lukowich is attempting to keep himself in shape (for once), but I do agree that these guys are taking paychecks away from others who probably need them a whole lot more. These teams that are taking these guys on are just doing what they think is best, and these NHLers might be a selling point for tickets.

both players are buddies with the coach - they are making 750.00 a week -

Old
10-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Bicycle Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
both players are buddies with the coach - they are making 750.00 a week -
Management stooges!

Old
10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:

Bohonos isn't even worth mentioning.
According to the CHL official website:
http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/news/?id=6340
"The Central Hockey League begins its 13th season of play this Friday, and once again led all North American professional “AA” leagues in average attendance during the 2003-2004 regular season, welcoming 4,501 fans per contest this past year."

Does not exactly sound like a league with such low attendance to me.

I also wonder how the Brahmas are paying those guys $750.00 a week, I heard the pay for CHLers was $450.00 a week?

Closed Thread