HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/1/12 "Division Wars" - Capitals VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
What if the Panthers win 2-0 tonight? Still going to worry? I don't understand the obsession with how many goals they do or don't score in a game. I mean I know they are injuried right now, but we still got plenty of talent on the team to be able to bury the biscuit. Also,when this team was completely healthy and firing on all cylinders, we beat the defending Stanley Cup Champs 2-0, so why does how many goals it took to win more important then the win itself? A win is a win right? who cares if it was a 2-1 win, or a 5-0 blowout, it's still 2 points and it still goes into the win column.

Also, I think we all know the talent on this team can score more than 2 goals in a game, they've been going through a lot with all these darn injuries and I think once they get going on a winning streak, the goals will start coming. I know we hate the injury excuse but it is true, we are missing Steeg,Kuli,Jovo, and Theo because of injuries, and they are a huge part of our team and success.
Because we have a G/G similar to the team with the second least amount of points in the entire league? Because known quality playoff winning teams score more goals per game? Four weeks ago, I was of the same mind frame, and wasn't very concerned. At this point of the season, though, I can see where it is an identifier of team strength. Hopefully, they'll improve in this second half.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Our lineup sucks tonight.

We'll probably lose somehow.

Perrault is a more than solid call-up.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Things go from bad to worse. GR reports the following:

Versteeg out with the flu
Clem will start because Theo is still not 100%. Foster has been recalled.
Upshall will get sports hernia surgery tomorrow so he's done for a while.

The only good news I heard was that Sturm was pretty close to returning, but I'm not sure how important that's really gonna be. Oy.
Of course he has the roughest season of his life with us.

Panther curse.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
What if the Panthers win 2-0 tonight? Still going to worry? I don't understand the obsession with how many goals they do or don't score in a game. I mean I know they are injuried right now, but we still got plenty of talent on the team to be able to bury the biscuit. Also,when this team was completely healthy and firing on all cylinders, we beat the defending Stanley Cup Champs 2-0, so why does how many goals it took to win more important then the win itself? A win is a win right? who cares if it was a 2-1 win, or a 5-0 blowout, it's still 2 points and it still goes into the win column.

Also, I think we all know the talent on this team can score more than 2 goals in a game, they've been going through a lot with all these darn injuries and I think once they get going on a winning streak, the goals will start coming. I know we hate the injury excuse but it is true, we are missing Steeg,Kuli,Jovo, and Theo because of injuries, and they are a huge part of our team and success.

The context of the discussion was level of concern, regarding Scott Clemmensen.
My point was that if I had to say I'm worried about something...it would be lack of scoring instead of goaltending.

At least Clemmensen has been good enough, more often than not, in getting us points. Lately, he's actually been very solid. Maybe he has a stinker tonight, idk. All in all, however, he's done a pretty good job, especially recently.

To answer your question, I would love a 2-0 win.
My point, however, is...how sustainable is that? You can't expect the goalies to allow less than 2 every night.

At the end of the day, the reason why we're not an elite team is because we don't score often. Period.

I'm also not as confident as you regarding the team's ability to score goals. We're just not high-powered at all, offensively.
At the beginning of the year, we were being carried by one line. When we do well offensively, it's because of our first line and our first line is realistically a good second line.

After the Flash-Weiss-Steeg line, our secondary scoring sucks. It has sucked all year.

To put things in perspective, aside from the first line, our leading scorer, in terms of forwards, is Tomas Kopecky with 20 points. 20 points = our 4th best forward this year.
That is simply not good enough, and it has to be better, imo, if we're going to make the playoffs in these next 34 games.

And I think the goal-scoring is important because Dineen's system is an aggressive one. I don't think we play a defensive-minded system at all. When we're at our best, it's a strong forecheck and aggressive D-play. That's been our style, and it's the style Tallon wants for this team.

If we were Nashville or Phoenix, I probably wouldn't be as concerned over lack of goal-scoring, but I don't see us as that.

We've been relying too much on goaltending, imo. I actually don't remember the last game in which we got a victory without a very strong performance in net. Elite teams are able to do that once in awhile, and we were actually doing it at times early on in the season when the first line was really hot.

All in all, the context of my original post was that I'm just not all that worried about the goaltending. We can't be, really. If our goaltending begins to worsen, we have no shot. Goaltending has been good and pretty consistent this year. Been the team's strength, imo.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:47 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
My point was that if I had to say I'm worried about something...it would be lack of scoring instead of goaltending.

At least Clemmensen has been good enough, more often than not, in getting us points. Lately, he's actually been very solid. Maybe he has a stinker tonight, idk. All in all, however, he's done a pretty good job, especially recently.

My point, however, is...how sustainable is that? You can't expect the goalies to allow less than 2 every night.

At the end of the day, the reason why we're not an elite team is because we don't score often. Period.

I'm also not as confident as you regarding the team's ability to score goals. We're just not high-powered at all, offensively.
At the beginning of the year, we were being carried by one line. When we do well offensively, it's because of our first line and our first line is realistically a good second line.

After the Flash-Weiss-Steeg line, our secondary scoring sucks. It has sucked all year.

To put things in perspective, aside from the first line, our leading scorer, in terms of forwards, is Tomas Kopecky with 20 points. 20 points = our 4th best forward this year.
That is simply not good enough, and it has to be better, imo, if we're going to make the playoffs in these next 34 games.

And I think the goal-scoring is important because Dineen's system is an aggressive one. I don't think we play a defensive-minded system at all. When we're at our best, it's a strong forecheck and aggressive D-play. That's been our style, and it's the style Tallon wants for this team.

If we were Nashville or Phoenix, I probably wouldn't be as concerned over lack of goal-scoring, but I don't see us as that.

We've been relying too much on goaltending, imo. I actually don't remember the last game in which we got a victory without a very strong performance in net. Elite teams are able to do that once in awhile, and we were actually doing it at times early on in the season when the first line was really hot.

All in all, the context of my original post was that I'm just not all that worried about the goaltending. We can't be, really. If our goaltending begins to worsen, we have no shot. Goaltending has been good and pretty consistent this year. Been the team's strength, imo.

excellent post erick as usual. Agree 100%

Old
02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
As of right now, we are the 9th seed.
After tomorrow night, I'd really like to be the 3rd seed.

^It's that simple. Make it happen.

They have no Backstrom, no Ovechkin, no Green, and playing on the 2nd of a B2B. No ****ing excuses, win the big game!
Quote:

My online lawyer strikes again! If I was good, I'd photoshope "Erick" in place of "Empire" in "Empire Strikes Back"

Old
02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

It's always simple to me.

The offense scores 3 or more, they've done their job.

Goalie gives up 2 or less, he's done his.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
It's always simple to me.

The offense scores 3 or more, they've done their job.

Goalie gives up 2 or less, he's done his.
That is far too black and white. Not to mention the average GAA is well above 2 and only seven teams average 3+ goals per game.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:

Solid, solid post. To dispute any points here would be to be dishonest with one's self.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Is Theo's knee just a post op thing? Where technically things are fine, but needs a bit of time to get back into the swing of things?

Old
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
That is far too black and white. Not to mention the average GAA is well above 2 and only seven teams average 3+ goals per game.
Agreed. I'll just be happy with a win no matter how we get it, 7-6 or 1-0. Get it done Cats!
GO PANTHERS!!!

Old
02-01-2012, 05:12 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Is Theo's knee just a post op thing? Where technically things are fine, but needs a bit of time to get back into the swing of things?
Theo didn't actually require surgery as he was diagnosed with a "strained right MCL". I guess he re-aggravated the injury when he came back and played two games prior to the all-star break. Kuli and Marks both underwent minor knee surgery though.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Its a generality. I dont give a damn how we win. But if we lose 6-3 its GENERALLY the goalie's issue, and if we lose 2-1, GENERALLY we didnt score enough and the goalie did his job.

GENERALLY.

Was just trying to quell the whose fault is it clemmer or the goal scoring dispute with something quantitative.

Old
02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

One word: WIN!

LGP!

Old
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Theo didn't actually require surgery as he was diagnosed with a "strained right MCL". I guess he re-aggravated the injury when he came back and played two games prior to the all-star break. Kuli and Marks both underwent minor knee surgery though.
Ahh Ok, thought Theo had one too (goes to show how many knee injuries you guys have had). Hopefully then it is just a bit of a setback and not back to square one then.

Old
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Ahh Ok, thought Theo had one too (goes to show how many knee injuries you guys have had). Hopefully then it is just a bit of a setback and not back to square one then.
I hope so! *fingers crossed*

I just realized that Clemmer's injury earlier in the season was also a knee...

Old
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

vCash: 383
versteeg scratched tonight with the flu. Crap!!

Old
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
LanceH
Rookie User

just win in regulation dammit!

Old
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

vCash: 383
nice to see sturm coming back tonight

Old
02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Agreed. I'll just be happy with a win no matter how we get it, 7-6 or 1-0. Get it done Cats!
GO PANTHERS!!!
Would love to see 13 goals in one game.

EDIT: Why is no one posting? Not one post in 40 minutes? Where is everyone today?!

Last edited by MillarWithASave: 02-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old
02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

PowerPlay!!!!!!!!! Let's do this!!!!!!

Old
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Probably at the game Millar...

Thought the PP looked good, lots of shots, need to keep up the pressure.

02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

For some reason, none of my feeds are working... strange.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Erick

Shots from all angles are nice, but we need to get some guys capitalizing on the rebounds in front of the net. Neuvirth seems to be seeing the initial shot pretty well.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
jakethesnake23

Pretty solid start to the game. Most importantly, lots and lots of intensity which was important for me to see. The guys know that this is a big game and are playing like it. Need a hero or 2 to emerge though and put some pucks in that net.

Closed Thread