HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are some interesting players to target?

Old
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Plekanetzz

vCash: 500
Remember Fabian Brunnstrom?

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Why are we talking about going after guys that are 27 or 28 or even older? That makes no sense at all. We will try to short cut rebuilding and spend another 5 years trying to make up for it.

Do it right, trade players for picks and/or prospects (less than 22 yo) and draft wisely.....then when your kids are getting ready for making a splash, surround them with vets so that you can compete for the cup.....

Until then, forget about getting UFAs or trading for anyone above 22 yo......

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm all for reasonableness, which is why I don't think Carey Price is worth 7/49m , but being afraid of the future is a bad move. We've needed a 1st line centre for more than a decade now, Carter and Pleks (+DD/Eller) would be rather attractive, wouldn't it?

Philly commits to huge deals and manages to get out of them, Boston does it, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Detroit do it. We should do it too.
We did it 3 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
My God, have you seen Plekanec play during the last 2 or 3 months??? PK... yes, he's very good. Defensively? Worst +- on the team. Playmaker? You have to be kidding!

The Plekanec from last year was excellent. He is playing terrible terrible hockey right now (unless he is on the PK).
If you have to resort to +- to try and say a guy is bad defensively you're wasting your time. Plekanec is our best defensive forward and one of the best in the league.

He has 23 assists in 50 games despite not having any wingers that are producing, Cammy had a crap year and Gionta's been in and out missing more games than he played. Blunden? Moen? Darche?

80 assists the last 2 years.

He isn't playing as well as last year, but saying he is playing terrible is just looking at stats and burying your head in the sand.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-01-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: merge
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:47 PM
UnkleRuckus

Possible/Realistic Trade Scenario's
Schenn for Kostitsyn and Leblanc
Koivu+Scandella for Plekanec, Kostitsyn + St-Denis
Darche for a 6th rounder
Moen for a 2nd or 3rd "
Gill for a 3rd "
Stewart (St-L) for Gionta, Weber and Campoli
CLEAN HOUSE it's time to get better
Gomez +2nd+4th-> Pheonix for Kesla+ Aucoin
or the minors

UnkleRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Why are we talking about going after guys that are 27 or 28 or even older? That makes no sense at all. We will try to short cut rebuilding and spend another 5 years trying to make up for it.

Do it right, trade players for picks and/or prospects (less than 22 yo) and draft wisely.....then when your kids are getting ready for making a splash, surround them with vets so that you can compete for the cup.....

How do your kids 'get ready to make a splash' by finishing last every year and playing with....well, who exactly?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrest View Post

Darche for a 6th rounder
Moen for a 2nd or 3rd "
Gill for a 3rd "
CLEAN HOUSE it's time to get better
Gomez +2nd+4th-> Pheonix for Kesla+ Aucoin
or the minors
Bolded wont happen. And I doubt C. Stewart is worth Gio, Weber and Campoli. We're not desperate for size and we actually miss Gio's skill right now.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrest View Post
Not gonna happen. I'm not sure the fan base would be pleased by losing our most promising "french speaking" prospect. Not that I personally care, but even then, it's way off value wise.

Quote:
Not gonna happen either. St-Denis doesn't worth much, if anything. You won't get Koivu for a lesser player plus an impending UFA.

Quote:
Darche for a 6th rounder
Could see it happen, although I doubt many teams will go after a player like Darche at the deadline. He's a borderline NHL player, but he can help on the PK.

Quote:
Moen for a 2nd or 3rd "
Doable

Quote:
Gill for a 3rd "
Doable as well, wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a 4th rounder tough.

Quote:
In other words, an overpaid injury prone small winger with two throw ins for a good, young, power-forward coming into his prime, and from a cup contender none the less? Not a chance.

Quote:
Gomez +2nd+4th-> Pheonix for Vrbata+ Aucoin
or the minors
You can only hope. Vrbata is a good hockey player. You won't get a good player for Gomez, forget it.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm all for reasonableness, which is why I don't think Carey Price is worth 7/49m , but being afraid of the future is a bad move. We've needed a 1st line centre for more than a decade now, Carter and Pleks (+DD/Eller) would be rather attractive, wouldn't it?

Philly commits to huge deals and manages to get out of them, Boston does it, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Detroit do it. We should do it too.
I want a first line center too. That's another reason why we shouldn't go after Carter, he prevents us from getting one. That guy's not a number one any more than Gomez was.

Do you not see this man? Getting him is just repeating what we always do. We get a guy who fills the role of 2nd line center and then pretend hes' a first. Only this time you want us to pay him for ten years?

What is it about rebuilding through picks and prospects that has you so scared? I just don't get it. You sit there and argue should pick up this monstrosity of a contract? As for Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago... they all have bonafide superstars on those teams. Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk... those guys actually ARE number one centers. And do you know how they got them? Through the DRAFT! Boston and now Philly have dealt for a bunch of prospects and picks one of whom became Tyler Seguin.

THAT's the way we should go man. Jeff Carter only ensures more mediocrity, only this time it's for TEN years. No thanks.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
firewagon77*

carey price you don't get what i mean because i am a genius you are a simpleton.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloffame44 View Post
carey price you don't get what i mean because i am a genius you are a simpleton.
Brilliant!

Old
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

I agree that Carter isn't a number 1, I was just making the point that long-term deals shouldn't scare GMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I want a first line center too. That's another reason why we shouldn't go after Carter, he prevents us from getting one. That guy's not a number one any more than Gomez was.

Do you not see this man? Getting him is just repeating what we always do. We get a guy who fills the role of 2nd line center and then pretend hes' a first. Only this time you want us to pay him for ten years?

What is it about rebuilding through picks and prospects that has you so scared? I just don't get it. You sit there and argue should pick up this monstrosity of a contract? As for Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago... they all have bonafide superstars on those teams. Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk... those guys actually ARE number one centers. And do you know how they got them? Through the DRAFT! Boston and now Philly have dealt for a bunch of prospects and picks one of whom became Tyler Seguin.

THAT's the way we should go man. Jeff Carter only ensures more mediocrity, only this time it's for TEN years. No thanks.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Bolded wont happen. And I doubt C. Stewart is worth Gio, Weber and Campoli. We're not desperate for size and we actually miss Gio's skill right now.
Really? I'd send that package any day of the week to get C.Stewart...and Gio is one of my favorite Habs.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
How do your kids 'get ready to make a splash' by finishing last every year and playing with....well, who exactly?
Hmmm, isn't that what the coaching staff is for? and why trade for when when you already have a **** load of that kind of players already on hand? Isn't that what Cole, Markov, Plekanec (if you keep him), Gorges, Bourque and Gomez are for? Unless you think we can trade them all? (good luck trading Gomez and Markov with his bum leg and heavy contract).

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
29dryden29

Dreger says Suter is from what he hears in play Poile is looking for a 4 piece package. I say we send them Gill Darche Tinordi and a pick for him.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip610942#clip610942

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Cyclones Rock

Carter would not be an ideal player for the Canadiens.

The guy had a reputation of having a bit of an attitude with the Flyers and he has appeared to be completely disinterested in Columbus. I also don't think that I've seen him throw more than a couple of checks all season.

But the two biggest reasons I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole are: 1) He hasn't had any impact on Rick Nash's scoring. In fact, Nash was less productive when he played with Carter. I know it takes two to tango, but Nash ain't exactly chopped liver. 2) Due to his less than stellar attitude and mediocre productivity, taking as long a term contract as his (9 years?) would be nothing shy of foolish.

Carter is a "fill a missing piece" type of player, not the type one should count on as a mainstay in building a team.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 02-01-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
MathMan

I'm trying to figure out exactly what some people here consider "a number 1 center", because if neither Plekanec nor Carter fit the definition... would Eric Staal? Is it strictly a point production thing and if so, what's the threshold? If not, what is it? Reputation?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Therrien

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Dreger says Suter is from what he hears in play Poile is looking for a 4 piece package. I say we send them Gill Darche Tinordi and a pick for him.

They laugh us out of the league if we offer that, to be honest.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Sorry but why does any team give up the 2nd overall for that?
well i was thinking MTL woudlnt be too far away from that 2nd overall,we could be drafting 4/5/6/7/8 overall so for the few spots maybe those two 2nd rounders would work but tbh it all depends where we end up drafting

lets say we have the 5th overall pick,would our 1st plus the two 2nd rounders be enough to move up those three spots ? dont think EDM would be chasing Grigorenko with all that young talent they have on offense,they would most probably be chasing a Ryan Murphy or other Dman

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Corncob

Quote:

You could just send a note saying you're not interested in acquiring Suter, would be quicker and cleaner....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:

hahahah Pathetic offer

Gill ? Darche ? Really ? Really ?

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
They laugh us out of the league if we offer that, to be honest.
Nashville would get laughed out of the NHL for asking for those 4 pieces...1st, NHL player, top prospect plus B prospect. Suter is a very good player but he is still a UFA.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly what some people here consider "a number 1 center", because if neither Plekanec nor Carter fit the definition... would Eric Staal? Is it strictly a point production thing and if so, what's the threshold? If not, what is it? Reputation?
Staal would be in the average to below average class along with Lecavalier. I think a true number one is a guy who can carry your offense. That's what you want from your number one pivot. Some guys may not be quite as offensively effective as others in their class but maybe they bring another dimension along with it so they belong.

Strong number 1 center:
Crosby
Malkin
Sedin
Stamkos
Datsyuk

Good to average (some guys could move up or down)
Toews
Tavares
Thornton
Backstrom
Zetterberg
Marleau
Spezza

Average to below average (some guys could move up or down)
Kopitar
Brad Richards
Kesler
Getzlaff
Seguin
Staal
Lecavalier
RNH (maybe not yet, but I think he's actually good enough to be here now)

Below average (I don't see any of these guys fitting in the upper classes, maybe M. Richards)
Mike Richards
Carter
Plekanec
Briere
Ribeiro
Krejic
Backes (not yet)
Couture (not yet)

That's a rough idea of how I think it shakes out. I'm sure I'm missing some guys but that's at least a sketch of where I think players stand.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I think you're mistaking #1 centers for superstars, and also massively overrating offensive stats in your ranking. No way Toews is not an elite/strong center. Just my opinion, though.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Staal would be in the average to below average class along with Lecavalier. I think a true number one is a guy who can carry your offense. That's what you want from your number one pivot. Some guys may not be quite as offensively effective as others in their class but maybe they bring another dimension along with it so they belong.

Strong number 1 center:
Crosby
Malkin
Sedin
Stamkos
Datsyuk

Good to average (some guys could move up or down)
Toews
Tavares
Thornton
Backstrom
Zetterberg
Marleau
Spezza

Average to below average (some guys could move up or down)
Kopitar
Brad Richards
Kesler
Getzlaff
Seguin
Staal
Lecavalier
RNH (maybe not yet, but I think he's actually good enough to be here now)

Below average (I don't see any of these guys fitting in the upper classes, maybe M. Richards)
Mike Richards
Carter
Plekanec
Briere
Ribeiro
Krejic
Backes (not yet)
Couture (not yet)

That's a rough idea of how I think it shakes out. I'm sure I'm missing some guys but that's at least a sketch of where I think players stand.
You know your definition of N.1 center is wrong when Kopitar is considered a "below average" N.1 center.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post

Yep, exactly. We don't even have a strong set of prospects to complement these 'star' free agents we plan on targetting. We would need several of these 'star' players of which we don't have the cap room. Our D is still too shaky, I don't like Weber and I don't like our cheap fill ins. Signing free agents every offseason is easy, any team can do that, and it won't bring you anywhere until you have a good base which we don't have.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote