HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mag

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2012, 12:56 AM
  #1
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 130
Mag

Just curious to ask you guys the value of MAG. How highly do you guys value him? I've been arguing with someone else on this board and we have very differing opinions on his value. So what'd it take to get him? A 3rd?

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:59 AM
  #2
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 500
More then a mere 3rd... Even though he has been inconsistent he possesses tools and has had some success and is only 25.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:22 AM
  #3
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,358
vCash: 500
If you offered me, the GM of the Sabres, a third round pick in the draft for GG, I'd sign immediately. Maybe I'm in the minority, but damn

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:30 AM
  #4
BCS
Registered User
 
BCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
If you offered me, the GM of the Sabres, a third round pick in the draft for GG, I'd sign immediately. Maybe I'm in the minority, but damn
Doubtful. I'd definitely be on board with a third-rounder.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
  #5
Cirris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crackport
Country: United States
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
More then a mere 3rd... Even though he has been inconsistent he possesses tools and has had some success and is only 25.
Darcy, is that you?!?

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:36 AM
  #6
OSUlakers
Registered User
 
OSUlakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
I'd take a punch in the face and 10 gray hairs for MAG because I've certainly punched myself in the face more times than one and grown more than 10 gray hairs because of him. End my misery! Take him from us!

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:37 AM
  #7
clumping platelets
Registered User
 
clumping platelets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clumptowaga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
I'll take a third or a 4th plus C prospect

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
  #8
Maximrules
Registered User
 
Maximrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
how about $16.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
  #9
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 500
He didn't play tonight and look what happened.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:43 PM
  #10
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
Darcy, is that you?!?
LOL great comment, I'd definitely take a 3rd, maybe eve Gragnani + 3rd for your 2nd

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:51 AM
  #11
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
For a soft, one-dimensional player that has intensity and commitment issues on a nightly basis, the price is whatever you can get someone to donate IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
  #12
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Maybe the question is...would the Sabres be willing to give up a 3rd for the Avalanche to take him.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:04 AM
  #13
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Maybe the question is...would the Sabres be willing to give up a 3rd for the Avalanche to take him.
For the balance of this season, keeping Gragnani as the 7th defenseman for depth works with the salary cap. There's no reason to ship him out unless it improves the team - and dealing a draft pick with him is silly.

McNabb has moved past Gragnani - and Brennan looked every bit as good a skater and offensively in his NHL stints this season to think he's not that far away from an NHL spot. I think the Sabres just let Gragnani walk this summer by not giving him a qualifying offer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:13 AM
  #14
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
For the balance of this season, keeping Gragnani as the 7th defenseman for depth works with the salary cap. There's no reason to ship him out unless it improves the team - and dealing a draft pick with him is silly.

McNabb has moved past Gragnani - and Brennan looked every bit as good a skater and offensively in his NHL stints this season to think he's not that far away from an NHL spot. I think the Sabres just let Gragnani walk this summer by not giving him a qualifying offer.
Or simply don't play him in more than 14 of the remaining 31 games this season, which would leave him short of the 80 career NHL games he needs before the end of this season to retain Group III free agent (RFA) status.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
  #15
punkr0x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Or simply don't play him in more than 14 of the remaining 31 games this season, which would leave him short of the 80 career NHL games he needs before the end of this season to retain Group III free agent (RFA) status.
I agree with this. Teams would essentially be trading for early signing rights. I don't see that being worth a third or even a fourth round pick honestly, because if he doesn't get his 22 games I think he'll hold out for free agency.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM
  #16
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
A bag of pucks and your best player's autograph....the latter is negotiable.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
  #17
French Connection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
He didn't play tonight and look what happened.
Ya they lost again! So what's your point?

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM
  #18
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,225
vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
For the balance of this season, keeping Gragnani as the 7th defenseman for depth works with the salary cap. There's no reason to ship him out unless it improves the team - and dealing a draft pick with him is silly.

McNabb has moved past Gragnani - and Brennan looked every bit as good a skater and offensively in his NHL stints this season to think he's not that far away from an NHL spot. I think the Sabres just let Gragnani walk this summer by not giving him a qualifying offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Or simply don't play him in more than 14 of the remaining 31 games this season, which would leave him short of the 80 career NHL games he needs before the end of this season to retain Group III free agent (RFA) status.
I agree with these posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
Ya they lost again! So what's your point?
I think the point was that the Sabres have allowed just one goal in the two recent games without MAG.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
  #19
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Because of the combination of the number of games that he needs to play to retain RFA status and his "value" here as a relatively cheap option for a #7 on a team that seems to incur 2 injuries every 3 games, I think that it will be tougher to find a trading partner.

I can't see the Sabres dumping him for a 3rd round pick and I can't see another team wanting him as a throw in on a trade unless they had an immediate need to play him this year. What team has something that the Sabres need and would put MAG in their bottom pairing?

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
  #20
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
Ya they lost again! So what's your point?
Last night was the best defensive effort I've seen this year from the Sabres. Doesn't mean it was because Gragnani is the reason...

But Gragnani sucks.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:42 AM
  #21
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
At one point I hoped, and I think the Sabres planned, that Gragnani would be a replacement of Leopold in a year or so. I really think he played so much earlier, ahead of Weber, because of false hope and his FA status. He hasn't produced any offense aside from secondary assists and his defense would make me look like NHL caliber. I don't see much potential for him since he's already 24 or so and past his best developmental years. That doesn't mean he can't get better, but not to the point of being better than a 3rd pair d-man, especially when Buffalo needs some size and toughness. He might be worth a 4th rd pick right now.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.